Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Macauley Gillesphey signs from Plymouth for an undisclosed fee

Comments

• Options
    One thing I've been thinking about is how many other teams concede so consistently after making a mistake? How many other teams give the ball away and without fail see the ball go into the back of the net? We focus a lot on individual errors but those happen every single game to every single team and they can't possibly concede as often as we do off the back of it. I think in possession we just completely go to sleep and lose our shape, it means that the opposition have the clearest run imaginable on our goal. It's L1, we're not going to get hold of perfect players who never make mistakes but it would help if the other ones did a bit of defending when the mistakes happen
    Agreed. It's organisation and setup that's the problem. I'm hopeful a decent manager will sort that out and get us well drilled in a couple weeks. It's one of the areas where an incoming manager can make a real change. That and set pieces. Then over time we can work on attacking patterns of play.
  • Options
    Thought he was our best defender on the day personally. Ironically we looked a lot more fragile in general after he went off.

A lot of our best attacking moves started from a Gillesphey dribble and/or pass. And one moment of madness aside, his calmness on the ball was missing after he went off.
    He definitely wasn’t the best of them defensively, but other than when he messed up for the goal, he was pretty much our only player passing the ball forwards and creating anything positive. 

I feel like we really need a proper proper defender in the middle of that back 3. Jones is the type of player but I don’t think he’s quite good enough. Hopefully one for the summer 
  • Options
    Having just watched Allison and Van Dijk give away a gift to Arsenal, it appears that such errors aren't limited to Charlton.....though Liverpool don't do it most weeks!
  • Options
    I think he'd look better with a more commanding goalkeeper behind him. Nor does having to come in and be expected to basically turn the chaos around seem to have done him any favours.

Not an auspicious start but I think he's better than he's shown so far, hopefully N. Jones will get the stupid mistakes and uncertainty out of our defence.
  • Options
    He was excellent yesterday again another who needs few more weeks to get up to full speed .. one of the problems buying 9 players in Jan they don’t have pre season to become part of the team 
  • Options
    Looks pants, weak, slow. Can do as many long balls as he likes, we don't have the physicality up top to make it count. Was a huge part of why we conceded so another defender who is apparently really good but can't do what we actually need him to do. Not like we don't already have enough of those.

If he was as good as made out to be, he'd still be at Plymouth, at least as a bench option.
    He was excellent yesterday once  up to speed will be a permanent fixture in our back 4/5 
  • Options
    One thing I've been thinking about is how many other teams concede so consistently after making a mistake? How many other teams give the ball away and without fail see the ball go into the back of the net? We focus a lot on individual errors but those happen every single game to every single team and they can't possibly concede as often as we do off the back of it. I think in possession we just completely go to sleep and lose our shape, it means that the opposition have the clearest run imaginable on our goal. It's L1, we're not going to get hold of perfect players who never make mistakes but it would help if the other ones did a bit of defending when the mistakes happen
    This was a huge problem under Holden. No movement off the ball and sloppy passing led by hoofing it forward. 

And we've regressed back to that. Our mistakes under Apples, while also bad, were different and often involved positioning or tracking. We're now just back to sloppy passes to the other team. 

We've come full circle! And it should be noted we have at least half of a team of different players than those who played under Holden. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Thought he was our best defender on the day personally. Ironically we looked a lot more fragile in general after he went off.

A lot of our best attacking moves started from a Gillesphey dribble and/or pass. And one moment of madness aside, his calmness on the ball was missing after he went off.
    He definitely wasn’t the best of them defensively, but other than when he messed up for the goal, he was pretty much our only player passing the ball forwards and creating anything positive. 
    I think it was MG whose pass to Kanu nearly created an equaliser? Dan’s header was tipped over the bar. 
    I also remember Ness bringing the ball deep into Derby's half and electing to pass rather than shoot, when there was a real opening. Hopefully Jones will given them the confidence to take a pop occasionally at least. 
    And I know I keep mentioning it, but it’s nuts that we haven’t got a single player who can take a long throw into the opposition’s six yard box. It’s a useful weapon (that we struggle to defend against). Even if only used sparingly. 
  • Options
    It's his anniversary  :)

from wiki .. Gillesphey scored his first goal for Argyle on 5 February 2022 against Chelsea in the fourth round of the FA Cup at Stamford Bridge. The goal gave Argyle an early lead against the reigning European champions in a match they eventually went on lose 2–1 after extra time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MOM contender in a match with a few to choose from
  • Options
    Excellent tonight, after a very good cameo off the bench on Saturday.
  • Options
    Decent tonight. Needs to keep that level and he has a chance.
  • Options
    He was quietly very good tonight.
  • Options
    Thought we'd miss Jones but Gillesphey was almost faultless. 
  • Options
    Excellent tonight. Go on Macca.
  • Options
    Thought he was class. Very assured performance 
  • Options
    Think he's made that left sided CB spot his to lose now, would expect Jones to replace Thomas after Saturday 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    He's actually really good, isn't he
    Having a midfield and attack that properly fight and compete has got to help our defenders so much.

Under Appleton every defender must have been written off at some point on here, but we were too soft as a team and too focussed on pretty football over winning the physical battle.
  • Options
    Gillesphey was utterly immense tonight. Starting to look very very good. 

Would like to see REG at RWB and Jones, Hector and Gillesphey as the three CBs
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Think he's made that left sided CB spot his to lose now, would expect Jones to replace Thomas after Saturday 

It's a good problem to have! Thought Thomas was really good tonight too
    Don't know what you are going to do when Ness gets back to form and hector is fit. You'll have Hector, Gillesphey, Ness, Thomas and to a leaser extent Jones, all ball playing centre backs with a mistake in them. Don't be too fickle with your allegiance.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Don't know what you are going to do when Ness gets back to form and hector is fit. You'll have Hector, Gillesphey, Ness, Thomas and to a leaser extent Jones, all ball playing centre backs with a mistake in them. Don't be too fickle with your allegiance.
    Ness, ball playing?! 
  • Options
    Gillesphey, REG, Thomas, Hector, Ness, Jones, Mitchell. 7 CBs.  I wonder who stays next season.  Suspect Thomas and Ness may leave. Don't know on Hector.  Mitchell may need another loan.  Still think that for promotion you need one real stand out, Santos-esq CB in that group.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Agreed, and currently would be very harsh to drop either, but think Lloyd Jones has been immense since Jones arrived and I think REG has his RCB spot locked down so would only leave Thomas