Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Blackpool vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 27th January 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Dreadful run, no confidence, constantly offering opposition chances through mistakes and leaking goals. 

That line up was totally predictable! Anyone wanting an attacking expansive line up is asking for a full bucket of water with holes in the bottom!

We got a point, just!! On to next week.
  • Options
    Massively lucky to go in at HT at 0-0. Second half was more even, and we were the better side for the last 15. Kanu is raw, but his workrate and pressing stopped their defenders strolling around with the ball and setting up attacks. And not bringing on Fiorini meant we didn't have a passenger in our side.

As with some of our other away draws this season, it's a good point, but doesn't feel it because of our position in the table. 
  • Options
    At this stage, we just need to get as many points on the board as possible.  We’re still right in the plop, and although the signings this month can be perceived as moving in the right direction, it’s clear the likes of Ladapo needs more time to get up to speed, and we genuinely won’t know if Bakinson is better than we had for example, time will tell.

I can’t believe we’re having to say this again, but let’s just get this season over and done with and get to 50 points by hook or by crook, and the rebuild starts again.  

We may see that the likes of Jones aren’t who we need to build our defence around and therefore the rebuild will take more.

the key is ultimately who gets the job next.  All the names were associated with on the betting so far are better than what I thought they would be, and I prefer some over others.  

The pressure is on the owners, Methven and Scott.  Just because they’ve spent a bit of money means nothing.  They still have zero credit in the bank for me 
  • Options
    What an unbelievable point! We could, and should have been, 5 or 6 down before we equalised. 

Defence for most of the game was shambolic again. Ness and Asiimwe no idea how to play the 352 defence on the right hand side and as someone said above, Asiimwe is a much better player when he is not in the team.

Been a constant supporter of Maynard-Brewer so far but sadly even I now believe he has got to come out of the side. But I have no confidence Isted will be any better which is a worry.

And the new players? Well, it looks like we have managed to sign another unfit player as Gillesphrey went off injured at h-t. And seriously not impressed by Ladapo so far. Is he unfit as well? Hope so otherwise we are in trouble.

And finally, for all those who were glad to see Albie Morgan go, I'm sorry to tell you had a pretty good game.  Which rather sums up how hopeless we were for most of the game!
  • Options
    All in all an excellent point 

really like Bakinson, plus we looked so much better once Kanu and Watson came on.

L Watson keeps the ball and relieves pressure and always looks to play forward, wins a few free kicks as well - sort of a better Jonny Williams….he has to start 

feel for Jones, sounds like he was apologising to fans at the end. The whole back 4/5 are just basically shitting themselves at the moment

time for Isted as well please 
  • Options
    edited January 27
    Watching their goal, it looked a bit worse initially than it was. Their player did well to block a pass back the AMB. Still definitely down as a Jones error. Yes, Blackpool should have been more than 1 up when we equalised but I thought we looked more likely than them in the final 15 mins. Confidence takes time to regain and this game is part of that process. I think we would have lost that with Appleton in charge.

Whilst he hasn't been perfect I have thought we were being a bit harsh on AMB but this game did him no favours.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Ladapo looks dreadful, Kanu offered a lot more. Watson should've been brought on at half time instead of Jones (easy to say in hindsight but I did think it at the time). Thomas our best defender again. Time for Isted to have a go. 
    This plus Ness continues to have a poor season and Assimwe is not ready 
  • Options
    Would love to see Bakinson and Kanu on together earlier in a game. The energy they bring together with Alfie buzzing about would be such a handful for opposing 6’s and CB’s
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's a great result and a confidence booster but the problems were there to see. The experienced players handle the pressure so much better, AMB, Ness and Asiimwe not so. An experienced centre half is a must, one who is fit maybe part of the job spec, Jones, and Ness need directing throughout the game and AMB doesn't know whether he is on foot or horseback. Talk of Aaron Collins is fine but we need that centre back. 
  • Options
    Good point away, thought we looked better in the second half and could of won the game with the Kanu chance. On to the next one. Up the reds!
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    That's our Charlton... Considering our form, we scraped, fought and battled hard for that point. It's a good result. Next game... 3 points. We have the ability, confidence can be reapplied... COYR's
    🤔
  • Options
    I've got a feeling Dobbo might be persuaded to stay,
  • Options
    A good point against a good team and with the other results around us going well, I'll take it.
  • Options
    Hector, Leaburn, Aneke, McGrandles, Fraser, Edun, Taylor and Camara all unavailable today. Too many for  squad of our size and too many potential game changers.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer is a good keeper but not quite good enough at this point for where we want to be. He’s an old fashioned, broad shouldered and knock-kneed bruiser who I am sure looks great in training where he’s facing shots from static sources, but is too immobile and hesitant in live action and doesn’t marshal the defence well. He’s certainly saved us on many occasions, but I think I’ve seen enough to determine he’s part of the problem. 
    Agreed but I also lack confidence in Harry Isted. The decision to sell Jojo Woollcott seems unfathomable.
    He has only played 1 game for hibs. Guessing he is injured?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer is a good keeper but not quite good enough at this point for where we want to be. He’s an old fashioned, broad shouldered and knock-kneed bruiser who I am sure looks great in training where he’s facing shots from static sources, but is too immobile and hesitant in live action and doesn’t marshal the defence well. He’s certainly saved us on many occasions, but I think I’ve seen enough to determine he’s part of the problem. 
    Agreed but I also lack confidence in Harry Isted. The decision to sell Jojo Woollcott seems unfathomable.
    He has had an injury, but mainly has been on the bench
  • Options
    Does it go down as an own goal?

May’s initial shot is on target, takes 2 deflections and goes in. I think it should be his goal
  • Options
    Ben18 said:
    Does it go down as an own goal?

May’s initial shot is on target, takes 2 deflections and goes in. I think it should be his goal
    I was thinking this. The initial shot was definitely on target. Does two deflections make a difference? I don't think they do.
  • Options
    We are 18th in the league :( 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    He was away on international duty very recently so I guess he is recovered from injury.
  • Options
    I've got a feeling Dobbo might be persuaded to stay,
    Heard he's already signed a contract with the Hungarian side? Or is this not the case?