Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Blackpool vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 27th January 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer is a good keeper but not quite good enough at this point for where we want to be. He’s an old fashioned, broad shouldered and knock-kneed bruiser who I am sure looks great in training where he’s facing shots from static sources, but is too immobile and hesitant in live action and doesn’t marshal the defence well. He’s certainly saved us on many occasions, but I think I’ve seen enough to determine he’s part of the problem. 
    Agreed but I also lack confidence in Harry Isted. The decision to sell Jojo Woollcott seems unfathomable.
    Agreed, it's easy to slag AMB but Isted worries me, at 26 a very inexperienced man at this level, less than 30games & not much more in non league. Spent most of his career getting splinters & the couple of times I've seen him play he seemed an accident waiting to happen. When did we last have a decent goalie ? Phillips I guess ?
  • Options
    That was pitiful and encouraging at times today.  Spark seems to have gone from attack and I think the back line is as nervous as hell which contributed to poor decisions.  AMB defo needs a break because his form is a major contribution to the defence being jittery.  All of the Blackpool we talked to after the game said that we were lucky but last fifteen they were worried we were going to nick it
  • Options
    Would have preferred neither thing needing to happen though
  • Options
    I'm thinking they've gone 3-5-2 because of leaking the goals. Too defensive, but the defence is a total farce. 
    Hoping we go to a 4-3-3 and play May as a 9. Ladapo is a waste of time and seems not up to the right fitness level. He could be better as an impact sub. The main problem imo is we've lost CBT and haven't got a like-for-like replacement. 
  • Options
    I'm thinking they've gone 3-5-2 because of leaking the goals. Too defensive, but the defence is a total farce. 
    Hoping we go to a 4-3-3 and play May as a 9. Ladapo is a waste of time and seems not up to the right fitness level. He could be better as an impact sub. The main problem imo is we've lost CBT and haven't got a like-for-like replacement. 
    Why are you writing Lapado off? Granted he's been poor so far, but let's judge him in a month's time when he's got up to speed. He's proved that he can score in this division last season. 
    Not writing him off, he's just not up to speed. If you go into the Jan transfer window surely you get players who are 100% fit. Ladapo doesn't seem fit to me and Kanu could do a better job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Fleming genuinely seems impossible to not like. In an ideal world he’s the perfect fit
    Surely we allow him the chance to earn the job. Difficult games coming up so it won't be easy but he is as well placed as anybody to turn things around in the short term at least.
     With the position we're in, we cannot afford to take a punt on Fleming. No matter how well he comes across in an interview. If we were midtable and playing for nothing then fine, but we are in a proper relegation scrap.
    Surely we are taking a punt on whoever gets the job. With Fleming we can change it quickly if it doesn't work, with somebody else we are stuck with them and they have to get to know the team etc... We fall into the trap of looking at names that have done a good job somewhere and ignore the bad jobs. There is no way we can feel comfortable that any name in the running will do what is needed. 
    I don’t get your logic here.

What do you mean change it quickly? A manager search takes time, and if it does not work under Fleming then we will be back where we are now going through the process of appointing someone. Who is going to take charge of the team whilst that process is ongoing?

Secondly Fleming has only been at the club a few weeks, so his knowledge of the players is not going to be significantly different to someone coming in this week. Also there’s been a lot written about new manager bounce etc, what it is, if it’s real etc… but on the whole ‘knowing’ the players is not really an issue when a team is performing as badly as we are. 

Thirdly, outside the elite managers, you will find that most will have at least one poor job on their record. Just like most of the players at our level will also have a poor season or two on theirs as well. 
  • Options
    edited January 28
    Carter said:
    No two ways about it, we should have been way out of that game by half time. The fact we were not is something I still think I've dreamt. Jones completely at fault for their goal, its indecision again that gets us. He, whilst being in some horrible form at the moment is someone I actually rate as a decent signing. The defending was abominable, somehow Blackpool through a succession of incredible luck on our part and slightly snatched finishing on theirs they didn't have us killed off. 

We do that to teams occasionally and when periods of utter dominance like that don't yield a goal it can be moral-sapping. Now also as bad as we have played, we deserve a slice of luck and we got it today. The coaches have a week to beat some sense into the defence now and drill them and the goalkeepers about what is expected of them, also what is expected of our midfield when playing a side who create an overload and the clue is, it isn't to watch the admittedly beautiful passages of play Blackpool were creating but to mess them up. 
    Compare the leeway still given to Jones compared to the writing off of Hector. Some even scoring him higher than Thomas. 
    He did play quite well after their goal, showing that he can be aerially dominant, but if we want to progress I’m afraid we need better. We need a Santos at the heart of our defence, and a proper goalkeeper behind him. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer is a good keeper but not quite good enough at this point for where we want to be. He’s an old fashioned, broad shouldered and knock-kneed bruiser who I am sure looks great in training where he’s facing shots from static sources, but is too immobile and hesitant in live action and doesn’t marshal the defence well. He’s certainly saved us on many occasions, but I think I’ve seen enough to determine he’s part of the problem. 
    Agreed but I also lack confidence in Harry Isted. The decision to sell Jojo Woollcott seems unfathomable.
    Agreed, it's easy to slag AMB but Isted worries me, at 26 a very inexperienced man at this level, less than 30games & not much more in non league. Spent most of his career getting splinters & the couple of times I've seen him play he seemed an accident waiting to happen. When did we last have a decent goalie ? Phillips I guess ?
    A goalkeeper has, these days, have much more to his game than shot stopping. AMB lacks in key areas, his lack of communication to the defenders in front of him and his decisions as to when to come for the ball or not. The second part for me is about how he is coached and the first part will come with experience and the development of his character. I still maintain that he will become a very good goalkeeper but it's noticeable that REG, twice, has given him stick, the reason being that a defender needs to know that his keeper is in charge of his area, that isn't happening at the moment. 
  • Options
    We were awful but in a very different way.

I don't blame Fleming for packing the defence and midfield for the first 60 mins, The frightening thing was we still looked so vulnerable. 

Hope a point away instills some (misguided) belief.
  • Options
    edited January 28
    Ben18 said:
    Does it go down as an own goal?

May’s initial shot is on target, takes 2 deflections and goes in. I think it should be his goal
    Personally, I think that if an attacker kicks or heads a ball before it comes off a defender and goes in the goal then it’s not an own goal and should be accredited to the attacker purely for the reason that it would not have happened in the first place if the attacker hadn’t kicked or headed it. 
  • Options
    edited January 28
    Bailey said:
    Davo55 said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    A goalkeeper has, these days, have much more to his game than shot stopping. AMB lacks in key areas, his lack of communication to the defenders in front of him and his decisions as to when to come for the ball or not. The second part for me is about how he is coached and the first part will come with experience and the development of his character. I still maintain that he will become a very good goalkeeper but it's noticeable that REG, twice, has given him stick, the reason being that a defender needs to know that his keeper is in charge of his area, that isn't happening at the moment. 
    Exactly what Shirtliffe said. The keeper is in charge of the defence and should be instructing them at all times, as he can see it all unfolding ahead of him. I don't for one minute think that AMB is in charge of anything at the moment. He might be a goodish shot stopper, but that is simply reaction, not preparation and planning, and poor communication with his back line is evident in their total lack of quality, in the play out from the back. . Thus he gets lucky or he doesn't, but is not making enough luck for 3 months now, hence the leaking of goals.

If we have an alternative keeper then they should be tried. It would definitely happen with any outfield player. I can only assume that whoever is picking the team, sees enough in training to believe that AMB is better than those on the bench. If that's the case, we must sign a keeper in the summer, if a promotion push is the aim next season. 
  • Options
    The coaches have had the season to date to beat sense into the defence and work on AMB's goalkeeping skills. The fact that improvements don't appear to be happening, witnessed by the same criticism every week, with claims that players are actually getting worse, makes me wonder whether the coaching needs a complete revamp too. Or do we just select players who are immune to being improved?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why do we think we are Barcelona or Brazil and can play out from the back, Jones's dithering cost us their goal, AMB dithering around with it unsure of what to do with the ball, by which time the oppo are already aware of where we are going, rolls it out and we eventually get pushed back and lose the ball before it reaches midfield...we are not very good at this, AMB needs to play the ball much quicker or put it up top with the long ball...
    At least we didn't lose...somehow, and have stopped the rot for a few days, now we have a week to let Curtis and Jason do their magic before Derby, which will be another toughie...

As for Alfie, the ball was on target with the original shot...his goal...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    I like Curtis Flemings take on things, very honest. 
    Me too. He and Pearcey deserve credit for us finishing the stronger in the last 20 against a good side. When was the last time we were able to say that? On Charlton TV there was praise for Jones performance after his calamitous mistake and I saw two players picking him up and jeeing him up after he did it- and that wasn’t happening in the past either.

I’ll be “interested” to hear why McGilliphray had to come off, mind. Best case scenario he was carrying some kind of virus and couldn’t continue. Otherwise yet another question mark against our “performance” department. 

I see Corey started for Derby today (but was subbed on 64) so I guess he’ll be free to tear us to pieces next week. Epic fail by whoever did that deal with Derby. 
    Sorry, who?

There's been some infamous incorrect spelling of names on here in the past (Ventokele probably the most popular), but this is the best yet.
    Oh shit, sorry🤣 Well it's his fault for insisting on such a silly spelling😉 

Is it too early just to call him Gilly?

• Options
    That could turn out a very big point ! I really do think you could see a different attitude from the players they were throwing themselves into tackles and showing they were prepared to battle. Yes we were lucky in the 1st half but that’s football and 2nd half we were the better team.

what yesterday showed me is that the attitude of the players demonstrated that they didn’t rate MA much
  • Options
    Alfie's goal?

That is the most blatant own goal in the history of football!
  • Options
    edited January 28
    Alfie's goal?

Yep..only took a couple of deflections....😉
  • Options
    Alfie's goal?

And Leaburn's (Carl) was heading for the corner flag at Villa Park before it was deflected in. 
  • Options
    Alfie's goal?

What’s that got to do with it ?, a player will sometimes blast a ball into a crowded area hoping to get a deflection, or sometimes they might hit the woodwork, which is basically a miss, and the ball will go in off of that. Stockley once got a goal that went in off his arse. You could argue the own goal from the cross was a deliberate attempt to get a goal and the two occasions that weren’t own goals should have been. As I’ve posted above, if the attacker kicked or headed the ball then they should be accredited with the goal because it would not have gone in the goal  in the first place without their initial action
  • Options
    Alfie's goal?

What’s that got to do with it ?, a player will sometimes blast a ball into a crowded area hoping to get a deflection, or sometimes they might hit the woodwork, which is basically a miss, and the ball will go in off of that. Stockley once got a goal that went in off his arse. You could argue the own goal from the cross was a deliberate attempt to get a goal and the two occasions that weren’t own goals should have been. As I’ve posted above, if the attacker kicked or headed the ball then they should be accredited with the goal because it would not have gone in the goal  in the first place without their initial action
    But it wouldn't have gone in the goal without the second action!

• Options
    Thats an own goal, not even in question. I still get stick now for claiming a goal that one of our midfielders slammed against my back and looped the ball over a goalkeeper. 

The defender gets that one yesterday chalked up in his OG column 
  • Options
    edited January 28
    Alfie's goal?

But it wouldn't have gone in the goal without the second action!

Agreed, and it wouldn't have gone in without Alfie's initial shot which was on target...🙄