Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Blackpool vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 27th January 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Alfie's goal?

That is the most blatant own goal in the history of football!
    Yep..only took a couple of deflections....😉
    What’s that got to do with it ?, a player will sometimes blast a ball into a crowded area hoping to get a deflection, or sometimes they might hit the woodwork, which is basically a miss, and the ball will go in off of that. Stockley once got a goal that went in off his arse. You could argue the own goal from the cross was a deliberate attempt to get a goal and the two occasions that weren’t own goals should have been. As I’ve posted above, if the attacker kicked or headed the ball then they should be accredited with the goal because it would not have gone in the goal  in the first place without their initial action
    But it wouldn't have gone in the goal without the second action!

Nobody deliberately scores an own goal, and when they are the cause of one it’s because somebody else has kicked or headed the ball.
  • Options
    Should have been 3-0 down at half time shocking first half performance. 
    We clawed our way back somehow to scrape a draw. Good point but we’re closer to relegation still. 
  • Options
    I was probably too negative about the performance yesterday, my fault for convincing myself that Fleming & Pearce would get the players more fired up, change more from the Appleton era.

I do feel we were a lot luckier yesterday more then an actual significant improvement on many recent matches.
  • Options
    What is it with some of the people on here. 
    Could have been 3-0 down at half time. 
    Could have lost by 5 or 6.
    Blackpool had 3, yes 3 shots on target in the whole game (2 in the first half).
    We also had 3 shots on target. 
    We didn't play well for 60 minutes but did for the last 30. 
    In the end the result is all that matters. 
    Went down another two places as well.
  • Options
    edited January 28
    Went down another two places as well.
    Come on Elfs, can't do any more than get a result, apart from win of course,.. and I think it was one place...
  • Options
    edited January 28
    I read on here a lot that stats don't tell half the story, so reducing the game to shots on target can't tell too much of it either. I hoped to see some green shoots of a much improved defensive performance and in the first half it was just as much of a shambles as it has always been. You might say they only had three shots on target but one of those was cleared off the line and the other was Rhodes inexplicably missing an open goal, and they wasted numerous other openings where we failed to pick players up. 

At the same time, we've had games this season where we've wasted loads of first half chances and the other team have come back into it second half, so that's football. 
  • Options
    edited January 28
    Croydon said:
    Fleming genuinely seems impossible to not like. In an ideal world he’s the perfect fit
    Surely we allow him the chance to earn the job. Difficult games coming up so it won't be easy but he is as well placed as anybody to turn things around in the short term at least.
     With the position we're in, we cannot afford to take a punt on Fleming. No matter how well he comes across in an interview. If we were midtable and playing for nothing then fine, but we are in a proper relegation scrap.
    Surely we are taking a punt on whoever gets the job. With Fleming we can change it quickly if it doesn't work, with somebody else we are stuck with them and they have to get to know the team etc... We fall into the trap of looking at names that have done a good job somewhere and ignore the bad jobs. There is no way we can feel comfortable that any name in the running will do what is needed. 
    I don’t get your logic here.

What do you mean change it quickly? A manager search takes time, and if it does not work under Fleming then we will be back where we are now going through the process of appointing someone. Who is going to take charge of the team whilst that process is ongoing?

Secondly Fleming has only been at the club a few weeks, so his knowledge of the players is not going to be significantly different to someone coming in this week. Also there’s been a lot written about new manager bounce etc, what it is, if it’s real etc… but on the whole ‘knowing’ the players is not really an issue when a team is performing as badly as we are. 

Thirdly, outside the elite managers, you will find that most will have at least one poor job on their record. Just like most of the players at our level will also have a poor season or two on theirs as well. 
    My logic is based on my knowledge that there is just as much chance of Fleming doing a good job as an appointed manager. In the short term at least, which is important. I look at Curbs, some on here woudn't have supported him and Gritt getting a chance. Likewise Bowyer. If Fleming fails and what you are missing is that it isn't a certainty he will, it is an IF, we have an option/opportunity to try something else. Look at the experienced managers we have appointed, the odds are on them not being a success from experience.
  • Options
    I know the common trend in modern football is stats stats stats to the point I wonder if some fans would prefer the game played on an AI simulation to remove all emotion from the sport but if you actually watched that match, until we scored it was very much only Blackpool looking likely to take the points.

If I am a Blackpool fan this morning I am still frustrated as we were there to be beaten yesterday.

Somehow we actually could have snatched all the points at the end though so some positives but it would have been smash and grab. 
  • Options
    I thought Ness was a couple of cms away from winning it for us in the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 28
    Fleming genuinely seems impossible to not like. In an ideal world he’s the perfect fit
    Surely we allow him the chance to earn the job. Difficult games coming up so it won't be easy but he is as well placed as anybody to turn things around in the short term at least.
    Why have none of his other clubs ever taken a punt on him? We are not in a position to do so at the moment. Maybe if we were mid table we could give him the rest of the season to stake his claim but we are not.
    Why did Powell and Bowyer fail at other clubs? It is what happens. It isn't just your abilities but other factors too. I'm not guaranteeing he will be a success, I just think he has as much chance as somebody else and we can choose to go into this with one life or an extra life.
  • Options
    edited January 28
    Just coming down from the excitement of watching Egg Fried Royce’s 3-2 win over South London SomethingOrOther XI on Clapham Common. Each side had at least two players who could hurl the ball straight into the opponent’s six yard box, a lethal weapon that we’re sadly lacking.
    Also watched the highlights of Derby’s narrow and slightly undeserved win over Cheltenham. They didn’t look all that, and CBT didn’t feature in the highlights, and was subbed in the 64th minute. So let’s not get too pessimistic about having to play them twice in the next few weeks.

Thought the first half v. Blackpool was a mess, but a mess where we at least had enough players behind the ball when defending. 
    We seemed to stumble across a line-up and formation that worked quite well in the last twenty five minutes of the match. I hope we make efforts to recreate that line up on Saturday, with L. Watson and maybe Kanu starting, although who knows who’ll make up the defence. 
    The least likely of the contenders, Tennai Watson, has had a couple of good games on the bounce. Edun is available after suspension, Gillesphey might be ok after coming off with a hamstring niggle. 
    Terell Thomas has surely become first choice centre back after playing well again.  Ness, Jones and REG are also options, although REG played in a midfield role on Saturday. 
    Even though I’m very much not a fan of Jones, perhaps starting him against Derby might give him a boost after finishing the game well yesterday. It would be quite a gamble though. 
    Sorry for rambling. 
  • Options
    I personally think Curtis Fleming & Co given the team and the situation did Ok yesterday.
    you can win Ugly and you can get a point Ugly 
    but we got the point away at a tough venue.
    I also thought Curtis came over well when interviewed and was articulate and honest.
    unlike the Muppet that was just sacked !!
  • Options
    edited January 28
    All of those things are true. It doesn’t mean we’re down on the performance to say that we rode our luck - it’s that and showing a bit of resilience along the way that allowed us to stay in the game and get the point that we did, and that’s worth praising the team for.

You’re not going to be the better team in every game of football you play - and we weren’t yesterday. But the great things about the sport is that doesn’t always mean you have to lose.
  • Options
    There have loads of games that we have lost this season where we have been the better team that’s football. Yes you can argue that we were lucky to get a point yesterday and you can also argue that we were unlucky we didn’t get all 3 points at the end.

an important point and onwards & upwards from here I hope
  • Options
    I’m glass half full about yesterday - my mates and I were there - we were thankfully not caught up in the train chaos (back home in Dartford by 10.30pm) - starting lineup was just ridiculous, no wonder we were under the cosh, with such a defensive lineup

BUT once Kanu came on, Blackpool noticeably backed off, and we at least had a threat - love Alfie, but that’s an own goal all day long - BUT it was his industry and hard work that got the goal 

Yes, an away day 1 point smash and grab, but given recent matches, what a point, especially considering their home form 

As an aside, anyone going in the future, get off at Lytham - lovely place, cracking pubs, incl ‘The Taps’ that we went to - much nicer than the dump that is Blackpool
  • Options
    Cracking weekend as always. We had our fair share of luck which I thing we was due.

Had a great time in the Victoria pub later on belting out a couple of renditions Vally Floyd Road. What a legend the DJ is in there 👍
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer is a good keeper but not quite good enough at this point for where we want to be. He’s an old fashioned, broad shouldered and knock-kneed bruiser who I am sure looks great in training where he’s facing shots from static sources, but is too immobile and hesitant in live action and doesn’t marshal the defence well. He’s certainly saved us on many occasions, but I think I’ve seen enough to determine he’s part of the problem. 
    Everyone can see it apart from the director of football.
  • Options
    I thought Ness was a couple of cms away from winning it for us in the end.
    If he hadn't been elbowed off the ball would have been the winner...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fortunately for us, Blackpool lacked a cutting edge. I thought they were better to a man and just looked a bit short of ideas on the day. 

Albie looked extremely comfortable, probably more consistent now/better than anything we have which is a bitter irony. If we were linked with a young Blackpool centre mid with his previous assists with us and his goals this season, we would be excited. Fair play to him for kicking on.

Our goalie is woeful, sorry but we need better. All our defenders looked bang average again,  we were cooked on the wings and Thomas got us out of trouble a few times through the middle, Ness with some nice one on one defending on one occasion.  

Dobson with a gutsy peformance, ditto May. At least with those two we know the effort will be there at minimum, lucky to have them both.

All in all though, a point is nice and helps aid our survival hopes. Need a manager in now though as playing on spirit can only take you so far..

Vlog up; https://youtu.be/UusjA7KGmMc?si=Vo81apcFttaYpOs9

Actually enjoyed making this one, Blackpool locals are nice people and I love a gritty town near a seaside. 

Up the Reds 
    Great video , I could smell sea breezed fish and chips
  • Options
    Oh shit, sorry🤣 Well it's his fault for insisting on such a silly spelling😉 

Is it too early just to call him Gilly?

Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen By The Sea?

• Options
    Bailey said:
    I like Curtis Flemings take on things, very honest. 
    Me too. He and Pearcey deserve credit for us finishing the stronger in the last 20 against a good side. When was the last time we were able to say that? On Charlton TV there was praise for Jones performance after his calamitous mistake and I saw two players picking him up and jeeing him up after he did it- and that wasn’t happening in the past either.

I’ll be “interested” to hear why McGilliphray had to come off, mind. Best case scenario he was carrying some kind of virus and couldn’t continue. Otherwise yet another question mark against our “performance” department. 

I see Corey started for Derby today (but was subbed on 64) so I guess he’ll be free to tear us to pieces next week. Epic fail by whoever did that deal with Derby. 
    Sorry, who?

There's been some infamous incorrect spelling of names on here in the past (Ventokele probably the most popular), but this is the best yet.
    Oh shit, sorry🤣 Well it's his fault for insisting on such a silly spelling😉 

Is it too early just to call him Gilly?
    You have competition. 

Isted

Jones REG Thomas Guilespy

Watson L Coventry Dobson Bakinson

May Ladapo

He just has one of those names. 
  • Options
    Fortunately for us, Blackpool lacked a cutting edge. I thought they were better to a man and just looked a bit short of ideas on the day. 

Albie looked extremely comfortable, probably more consistent now/better than anything we have which is a bitter irony. If we were linked with a young Blackpool centre mid with his previous assists with us and his goals this season, we would be excited. Fair play to him for kicking on.

Our goalie is woeful, sorry but we need better. All our defenders looked bang average again,  we were cooked on the wings and Thomas got us out of trouble a few times through the middle, Ness with some nice one on one defending on one occasion.  

Dobson with a gutsy peformance, ditto May. At least with those two we know the effort will be there at minimum, lucky to have them both.

All in all though, a point is nice and helps aid our survival hopes. Need a manager in now though as playing on spirit can only take you so far..

Vlog up; https://youtu.be/UusjA7KGmMc?si=Vo81apcFttaYpOs9

Actually enjoyed making this one, Blackpool locals are nice people and I love a gritty town near a seaside. 

Up the Reds 
    Great video , I could smell sea breezed fish and chips
    Cheers, I am really hoping if they stay down, we get them at the start of the season as an away. 

I'll stay there the whole weekend with some relatives probably, I genuinely really love places like Blackpool and Skegness 😂

• Options
    Those 2p coin drop and slide guff are what got me addicted to gambling !
    loved the amusements back in the day 
    good video and I’m disappointed in you celebrating without the obligatory linesman check , asked my son and he said he was on the Lino straight , so can sleep inside the house  rather than out tonight , shameful behaviour Braziliance I expect better of you .
    I'm always the bore saying it’s offside and stopping people from celebrating , flip side is I’m the first to give the oppo fans the double Nescafé wave when their goal has been disallowed for offside 
    If you didn't attempt the 10p machines, you're not a proper addict mate, that's when you know you've moved up in the gambling world.

It's the first time in a very long time I've celebrated an offside goal 😂 part of me didn't want to include it as I knew my stock would drop but I had to show a bit of humility to the viewers that I am not always right about absolutely everything 😉

Will do better for next time mate 
  • Options
    I was pleased to see that we’d stopped doing the 3ft goal kicks, which always inevitably led to panic amongst the back 4/5. Long may it continue 🤞🏼