Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kayne Ramsay signs from Harrogate - 3.5 year deal, undisclosed fee, subject to EFL approval

Comments

• ct_addick said:
    How was Ramsay playing at Harrogate…..Championship level IMO
    They took a chance on a 21 year old who had a couple of L1 loans and another in the SPL. 

From the stats he didn’t play regularly over a full season during any of those loans, so still had a lot to prove.
  • It will be interesting when Edwards is back. In the first game I thought Ramsay didn't look that great, he wasn't on the same wavelength as the other players going forward and didn't create anything which was clearly his brief on the day. Once Edwards was out though Small became the attacking wingback and Ramsay the more defensive one and he's looked superb. I think it's easier to look good being the defensive wingback in our side so between him and Edwards they'll have to figure their crossing and creativity out and affect the game at both ends to really progress
  • It will be interesting when Edwards is back. In the first game I thought Ramsay didn't look that great, he wasn't on the same wavelength as the other players going forward and didn't create anything which was clearly his brief on the day. Once Edwards was out though Small became the attacking wingback and Ramsay the more defensive one and he's looked superb. I think it's easier to look good being the defensive wingback in our side so between him and Edwards they'll have to figure their crossing and creativity out and affect the game at both ends to really progress
    He's very composed on the ball and is able to time his tackles. A lot of wing backs can't defend but he seems to be hard to get past.

Looks a good signing.
  • He hit the bar last week aswell... looks good at the back and going forward. Don't think will be here long!
  • He's looked good so far. By far the best signing of the summer.
  • He's looked good so far. By far the best signing of the summer.
    He signed in the January window
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    He doesn't offer much with the ball, and doesn't offer much going forwards, but I can't see many wingers beating him, and he's very solid.

I wonder if he'd be more suited occupying that right centre back role and having a more attack minded full back in his place instead. 

If/when Edwards Returns, we could swap Small over to the right and shift everyone left. 
    Not sure what games you been watching, he is very good at bringing the ball out and breaking the lines.. he missed one opportunity from what I saw where he could have crossed the ball.

he is best right back/wing back we have had in years!!
    He doesn't run past anyone, he doesn't really make overlapping runs, and he's yet to get an assist (he'd struggle anyway as our attack is useless) 

He's very good defensively, and he's probably our best player currently, but seeing as we don't have any creativity in the middle, and we certainly don't have it up top (excluding TCs short bursts) we need Kayne and Small to provide opportunities, which they aren't really doing. 

I'm being a bit reserved about him as I've seen it at Charlton too many times where players get plaudits and end up being extremely underwhelming. 

Last season Small was a championship level player, and people were worried about us losing him, this season he appears to be a bit of a scapegoat, when he's honestly not doing much wrong. 
    Generally agree, just as it’s early to write off Ahadme (or others), it’s also early to worry about losing Ramsay.

He still needs to show more going forward, and he hasn’t yet played a full season with 35/40+ league starts at any club due to injuries, short term loans or whatever else.

That’s a long period to be consistent for.

I don’t doubt his potential to do it, but we could still end up having very different opinions of players by the end of the season.

Look how views of Coventry have gone up and down. Exciting signing in January. “What does he do?”, “Dobson is better” etc to now being seen as a solid reliable midfielder.
  • I think he’s a good ball carrier but he isn’t great at getting a cross off. That’s partly a team issue though. There was a point yesterday (I think when we were 1 down) where he got into a decent crossing opportunity but instead played it to Coventry who got into a good crossing opportunity and then those two and Doc were too close to each other to get the half a yard needed. Ramsay ended up coming inside a bit and got caught between crossing and shooting. Felt indicative of a lot of our wing play for a while 
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    He doesn't offer much with the ball, and doesn't offer much going forwards, but I can't see many wingers beating him, and he's very solid.

I wonder if he'd be more suited occupying that right centre back role and having a more attack minded full back in his place instead. 

If/when Edwards Returns, we could swap Small over to the right and shift everyone left. 
    Not sure what games you been watching, he is very good at bringing the ball out and breaking the lines.. he missed one opportunity from what I saw where he could have crossed the ball.

He doesn't run past anyone, he doesn't really make overlapping runs, and he's yet to get an assist (he'd struggle anyway as our attack is useless) 

He's very good defensively, and he's probably our best player currently, but seeing as we don't have any creativity in the middle, and we certainly don't have it up top (excluding TCs short bursts) we need Kayne and Small to provide opportunities, which they aren't really doing. 

I'm being a bit reserved about him as I've seen it at Charlton too many times where players get plaudits and end up being extremely underwhelming. 

Last season Small was a championship level player, and people were worried about us losing him, this season he appears to be a bit of a scapegoat, when he's honestly not doing much wrong. 
    Generally agree, just as it’s early to write off Ahadme (or others), it’s also early to worry about losing Ramsay.

He still needs to show more going forward, and he hasn’t yet played a full season with 35/40+ league starts at any club due to injuries, short term loans or whatever else.

That’s a long period to be consistent for.

I don’t doubt his potential to do it, but we could still end up having very different opinions of players by the end of the season.

Look how views of Coventry have gone up and down. Exciting signing in January. “What does he do?”, “Dobson is better” etc to now being seen as a solid reliable midfielder.
    That is exactly where my mind is at. It's obvious the potential is there, and it wouldn't surprise me if he goes on to be a great player, but it's just too early to say. 

It would be different if he had played 46 games last season for let's say Port Vale, had performed for them, and carried on like he is now, then you can probably say that is the usual level of the player, but we got him from a league 2 side, which could be for any number of reasons. 

I'm very happy with him though as part of this defensive line-up, as he seems very capable, and I can't see him letting us down much this season.
  • DubaiCAFC said:

It was apparent that Small was evidently given instructions to push on as much as possible and Ramsay told to sit deeper. We looked a little lopsided, almost like we had a back four with Gillesphey playing narrow as the team shuffled over to accommodate Small's attacks.

It was infuriating yesterday the amount of time and space Ramsay was in on the right; Jones in particular just didn't look to the right when he brought the ball out. This meant that the majority of our play went down the left and forced Small to pretend to be CBT.

The lack of movement from the defensive midfielders and not getting to link with the attackers or trying to break beyond the defence means we look disjointed. When you add this to our excellent right wingback having to sit back, we're going to struggle from an attacking sense.

Only positive with that is by not showcasing KR's full skillset, we might get to enjoy him in the team for a bit longer before he gets his move up to the Championship. 
  • 995632 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

It was apparent that Small was evidently given instructions to push on as much as possible and Ramsay told to sit deeper. We looked a little lopsided, almost like we had a back four with Gillesphey playing narrow as the team shuffled over to accommodate Small's attacks.

It was infuriating yesterday the amount of time and space Ramsay was in on the right; Jones in particular just didn't look to the right when he brought the ball out. This meant that the majority of our play went down the left and forced Small to pretend to be CBT.

The lack of movement from the defensive midfielders and not getting to link with the attackers or trying to break beyond the defence means we look disjointed. When you add this to our excellent right wingback having to sit back, we're going to struggle from an attacking sense.

Only positive with that is by not showcasing KR's full skillset, we might get to enjoy him in the team for a bit longer before he gets his move up to the Championship. 
    I said to my mate this is what we did, it's similar to what a lot of teams do and it's a common tactic in football now. Which is why I said I'd prefer to see Ramsay as that right sided centre back when Edwards is back so we can still have Small in the team. You see it with Theo Hernandez (bit of an extreme comparison) . The issue is, if only of your wingbacks can do it, you become predictable. If we had Edwards and Small rotating instead, we would look more attacking and still have the benefit of having Ramsay on the pitchpwith his excellent one on one defending. 

The whole team in general just lacks creativity, we genuinely miss Dobson. My twitter timeline is full of Dobson tweets atm, and it's not surprising at all to see Wrexham raving about him. There isn't a player at Charlton who can pass as well as Dobson, we miss his switch passing and long balls. He was so underrated in that sense. 

Now all of our players can only play it short, or we get to watch Gillesphey and his woeful long ball attempts. 
  • agreed wing back positions not something I am worried about at all. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:
    His Dad is a really nice guy too and there is always a good few family and friends who attend every game. They really come across of wanting him and the club to do well.

Main point, I’ve seen enough of Ramsay this season to say he’s the best right back/right wing back in the division and has every capability of playing in the Championship.

He’s excellent 1v1, first and foremost. I don’t remember him being beaten and if he has he comes back and he recovers with a fantastic tackle or interception and then he keeps the ball in play, drops the shoulder and allows us to build.

He’s also excellent going forward as he’s got it in his game to step inside and skip passed players or out muscle them.

The area I would like to see improve is his confidence to stay wide and provide the threat from that position and then put in good crosses into the box. He does it but I feel he could do it more. Adding that too his game will only take him to the next level.

A brilliant signing and my POTY so far, even if it’s just 5 league games. 
    100% this.

Honestly I am amazing to be reading any negative comments about him! 
    I don’t think anyone is being negative about him, more that we’re only 5 games into the season and he didn’t play much more than that last season. It’s not that much to go on. As positive as sage is being he’s also saying Ramsay can improve his attacking play and crossing which was the main “negative” about him.

I also find it hard to say someone is the best player in their position in the division - how many have honestly watched other clubs RB/RWBs closely over multiple games? No doubt there will be others out there with the potential to play in the Championship.
    My point of Ramsay being the best right back/ wing back in the division is because we’ve been in this league for long enough now and I have not seen a right back play as well as Ramsay has and have the qualities that he possess.

I’ve watched us either in person or via the stream in every league game since February 2020, the last one I didn’t see was actually the last home game before lockdown against Luton in the Championship.

At this level, I don’t believe there is another right back that has the qualities and profile that Ramsay has. And of course, there is still so much more room for development, and that’s the exciting thing.
  • ct_addick said:
    When I said this pre-season I got lol'ed!
  • cafc4life said:
    Whoever scouted him deserves a lot of credit 
    Nathan Jones you mean.
  • ct_addick said:
    When I said this pre-season I got lol'ed!
    Maybe its the way you posted the comment, the tone of your post?
  • Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:
    His Dad is a really nice guy too and there is always a good few family and friends who attend every game. They really come across of wanting him and the club to do well.

Main point, I’ve seen enough of Ramsay this season to say he’s the best right back/right wing back in the division and has every capability of playing in the Championship.

He’s excellent 1v1, first and foremost. I don’t remember him being beaten and if he has he comes back and he recovers with a fantastic tackle or interception and then he keeps the ball in play, drops the shoulder and allows us to build.

He’s also excellent going forward as he’s got it in his game to step inside and skip passed players or out muscle them.

The area I would like to see improve is his confidence to stay wide and provide the threat from that position and then put in good crosses into the box. He does it but I feel he could do it more. Adding that too his game will only take him to the next level.

A brilliant signing and my POTY so far, even if it’s just 5 league games. 
    100% this.

Honestly I am amazing to be reading any negative comments about him! 
    I don’t think anyone is being negative about him, more that we’re only 5 games into the season and he didn’t play much more than that last season. It’s not that much to go on. As positive as sage is being he’s also saying Ramsay can improve his attacking play and crossing which was the main “negative” about him.

I also find it hard to say someone is the best player in their position in the division - how many have honestly watched other clubs RB/RWBs closely over multiple games? No doubt there will be others out there with the potential to play in the Championship.
    My point of Ramsay being the best right back/ wing back in the division is because we’ve been in this league for long enough now and I have not seen a right back play as well as Ramsay has and have the qualities that he possess.

I’ve watched us either in person or via the stream in every league game since February 2020, the last one I didn’t see was actually the last home game before lockdown against Luton in the Championship.

At this level, I don’t believe there is another right back that has the qualities and profile that Ramsay has. And of course, there is still so much more room for development, and that’s the exciting thing.
    I think he’ll most likely to go on to do very well but there’s always the other side of it - players like Louie Watson, Kilkenny, Famewo, Inniss etc were hyped up after a small number of appearances. Best in the league, the new Cullen, cheat code and so on.

If we’re still not scoring many goals and not creating enough chances in the next few months, players like Ramsay will eventually be questioned even if their defending is very good. In this formation the wing backs need to offer plenty going forward and put in good crosses.
  • We have had a relatively tough start to the season fixtures wise. Wigan away is never easy, Bolton and Rotherham two of the favourites for promotion. 
    Let’s see how we get on against the likes of Shrewsbury away. I wouldn’t say they’re cannon fodder but they’ll be somewhere near the bottom quarter of the table.
    Ramsey looks a really promising player.
    id expect him to get greater licence to push forward on Saturday.
  • cafc4life said:
    I have a feeling Jones had a big hand in his signing. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    cafc4life said:
    I have a feeling Jones had a big hand in his signing. 
    I'm very confident that it was no coincidence that as Jones was about to sign, we also signed 2 ex Southampton wing backs.
  • Generally speaking , the opinions of supporters of previous clubs ( Kermit excluded only) are the best indicator of how good players are going to be and my mate is a Harrogate season ticket holder and when we signed Ramsey he said we’d just pinched their best player. 
    I am sure the Wrexham supporters will be enjoying Dobbo in the same way !!