Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League One Relegation Watch 2024

Comments

• Options
    We are well and truly in it.
  • Options
    Golfie ever since you have become a voice of calm, positivity and optimism we have gone to absolute shit!

If we are gonna get out of this, we need you back to your normal realism asap!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Pratley on for the Os
    Oh how he must be laughing his head off. Unnecessarily binned now sitting 10 places and 14 points above us. Replaced by the likes of Fraser etc 
  • Options
    edited February 6
    I can't help thinking that Holden & Scott fell out when Holden became unhappy with the summer transfer window/strategy, amongst other things.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are 10 teams between 30-38 points fighting to avoid probably one relegation place if you assume Fleetwood, Cheltenham and Carlisle are gone.

It’s not comfortable right now because we are sitting at the lower end of that group of 10 teams but it only takes a good run for us to be comfortable.
    At this point getting a draw constitutes a good run.
  • Options
    Still think the squad is decent enough but worry about the complete lack of creativity.  Letting CBT and Fraser both go without adequate replacements was utter lunacy. We needed a really strong Jan window and I feel we got a scatter gun one instead without much of a plan behind it.
    Whatever happens the recruitment team (I assume Scott but maybe Lenegan too) need binning as soon as our fate is sealed.
  • Options
    The only good thing is that we are not yet in the bottom 4. We are not like Sheff Utd needing snookers to survive. It is in our own hands. 
    That's what worries me 
    Especially as it’s football. 
  • Options
    There are 16 games to go, that's a third of the season nearly. 

I think 46 points will be enough as most of the teams around us are all playing each other from now and they can't all win. 

All I want to see is some desire and passion, if that's not enough and we get relegated then so be it. 

These players have a choice now, they know Jones is going to be around for a while so if they don't get the memo then they're be gone at seasons end.

Let's hope the team can come together and get out if this. 

Win the next five games and we're out of trouble.... Its that simple and you can't say it couldn't happen as nobody gave Reading a chance tonight and yet.... 

Not convinced by that at all. 15 points from our last 16 games surely won't be enough to keep us up.

It would also mean PV only need 17 points from 18 games to go above us. If they only manage that then they're likely going down.
  • Options

I think 46 points will be enough as most of the teams around us are all playing each other from now and they can't all win. 

All I want to see is some desire and passion, if that's not enough and we get relegated then so be it. 

These players have a choice now, they know Jones is going to be around for a while so if they don't get the memo then they're be gone at seasons end.

Win the next five games and we're out of trouble.... Its that simple and you can't say it couldn't happen as nobody gave Reading a chance tonight and yet.... 

Not convinced by that at all. 15 points from our last 16 games surely won't be enough to keep us up.

It would also mean PV only need 17 points from 18 games to go above us. If they only manage that then they're likely going down.
    I think you’re probably right. There will likely be a pretty big gap between the bottom three and that fourth bottom spot. Think we need to target 49/50 points which feels like a challenge right now. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I think you’re probably right. There will likely be a pretty big gap between the bottom three and that fourth bottom spot. Think we need to target 49/50 points which feels like a challenge right now. 
    The good thing about football though is that it can all change so quickly.

This time next week we could be sat with 37 points and looking up towards catching mid-table after 2 good wins. Alternatively if we only pick up 1-2 points (or worse still 0) then we're massively in the shit ahead of 3 even tougher games.
  • Options
    Been saying it for 2 months and now people will start to realise we are genuinely in massive massive trouble now.
    Will be an immediate test of Jones' mettle to galvanise this squad who to me look mentally like relegation fodder.

Saturday perhaps our most important game since Wembley 2019 and perhaps even then that promotion pales into insignificance should the unthinkable happen and we finish in the bottom four.

Hope Jones can sort the team our asap and the fans pack the stadium and get behind the team and collectively grab our bollocks and move up and away from the drop zone.

• Options
    I think we've been so bad the past few months that we've got to pick up form at some stage. 

#SaveUsChuks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    #SaveUsAnyone I reckon!
  • Options
    So much is going to hinge on which players can handle a) the mental pressure of being in a dogfight at the wrong end of the table b) the intensity demands of Nathan Jones which would appear to be a factor in his training methods and expectations and c) our squad’s bodies being able to cope with b - as some of their track records to date at a lesser intensity level have been very shit?

What comfort I do take out of all this is that anybody from 15/16th downwards are in exactly the same battle as us, so at this stage, odds are not heavily stacked against and I think we do have better quality players than many of the sides at the bottom of the table. On the flip side we are yet to see how quickly Nathan can galvanise them, improve their mental attitude and instil the tweaks that have been obvious to all other than Appleton and to a lesser extent Curtis and Jason?

Roll on Saturday and Tuesday, we’ll get our first glimpse of their reactions, that’s for sure and one thing Nathan will be able to rely on is us fans. We know what we need to do and will be his 12th man every game until we are safe. 
  • Options
    We still have to play Reading, Carlisle, Cheltenham, Fleetwood, Cambridge, Exeter, Shrewsbury and Wycombe. That’s a lot of six pointers! When trying to stay in the PL it was always about ensuring we took max points v relegation rivals. 

There’s lots still to play for and a few teams in the mix for what realistically looks like one place on the current table. 

Agree re mental toughness - that will be key. It’s let us down badly in this recent run with all those late goals but at least we’ve got out of that habit in the last couple of matches. Now we need to cut out the defensive howlers or play like a team to cover them - a centre half losing the ball about 40 yards from goal as happened v both Blackpool and Derby should not mean it’s a doddle for the opposition to score. That’s what team mates should be there for. 

Over to you Nathan Jones. 

Agree still loads of points to play for. We just need to get that first win and I think we will see a bit more confifdence come back in.
  • Options
    We'll stay up.
  • Options
    Still think the squad is decent enough but worry about the complete lack of creativity.  Letting CBT and Fraser both go without adequate replacements was utter lunacy. We needed a really strong Jan window and I feel we got a scatter gun one instead without much of a plan behind it.
    Whatever happens the recruitment team (I assume Scott but maybe Lenegan too) need binning as soon as our fate is sealed.
    On CBT, Jones doesn’t tend to play wingers, he’s mainly used 3-5-2 or a diamond, the formations we were working towards with all the January moves. We’ve added two new full backs with pace and in Ladapo someone who in theory is here to replace CBTs goals. We were never going to sign a direct replacement.

It was disappointing not to replace Fraser but we have plenty of options in midfield so hopefully Jones can find a combination that works enough to keep us up. Louie Watson might get a run in the team now Appleton has gone.
  • Options
    edited February 7
    Squeak squeak!
  • Options
    edited February 7
    Lose Saturday & we could end up in the bottom 4 that's the reality of it 
    With the tough games we got coming up trying to get of them won't be easy 
    Despite having Nathan now in charge it comes down to the players being up for the fight 
    just got to hope they start pulling their finger out as most look like they don't give a s#it