Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League One Relegation Watch 2024

Comments

• Options
    Our March is huge. Northampton, Cheltenham, Carlisle, Fleetwood, Wigan & Exeter. Should be going into all those games expecting 3 points. Whether we have the bottle is another matter
  • Options
    We still have to play Reading, Carlisle, Cheltenham, Fleetwood, Cambridge, Exeter, Shrewsbury and Wycombe. That’s a lot of six pointers! When trying to stay in the PL it was always about ensuring we took max points v relegation rivals. 

There’s lots still to play for and a few teams in the mix for what realistically looks like one place on the current table. 

Agree re mental toughness - that will be key. It’s let us down badly in this recent run with all those late goals but at least we’ve got out of that habit in the last couple of matches. Now we need to cut out the defensive howlers or play like a team to cover them - a centre half losing the ball about 40 yards from goal as happened v both Blackpool and Derby should not mean it’s a doddle for the opposition to score. That’s what team mates should be there for. 
    Yes, I was thinking this when watching the highlights. I originally blamed MG 100% for giving the ball away, but when you have a defender being pressed quite deep he needs to have options. Yes, he should have leathered the ball to safety, but I’m sure they endlessly practice playing the ball out of defence, and to do that you need someone to pass to. Coventry waved his arm about a bit and turned his back, when he should have been making himself available. 
    It’s a bit like snooker. Good players make sure that they create as many simple pots as possible by getting the cue ball into the right position. It you create simple options for the player in possession by good movement off the ball, it makes it much easier for him to pass without giving it away. Too many of our midfielders look like they don’t want the ball, which is why I think we’ve taken to Louie Watson, who seems to want the ball all the time, and makes himself easy to pass to. 
  • Options
    Reading in their last 11 games: 

4 wins, 6 draws, 1 loss. 

Reading home form all season: 

7 wins, 4 draws, 4 losses. 

Anyone thinking we can go there and grab points I don't think are aware we are massive underdogs for that game. They will almost certainly stay up regardless of how anyone else does. 
    I don't get how their form seems to have improved despite losing a heck of a lot of players in Jan.
  • Options

4 wins, 6 draws, 1 loss. 

Anyone thinking we can go there and grab points I don't think are aware we are massive underdogs for that game. They will almost certainly stay up regardless of how anyone else does. 
    I don't get how their form seems to have improved despite losing a heck of a lot of players in Jan.
    Suspect good management, organisation and a galvanising effect based on what is happening off the field. The latter can go both ways of course, but would appear management have them focused on the right things. We don’t have the latter issues, but need plenty of the first two points. Will repeat again, I believe the ingredients are there…
  • Options
    edited February 7
    It’s better to have the points on the board rather than games in hand.
  • Options

4 wins, 6 draws, 1 loss. 

[Posted this on a different thread:]

According to Reading's SB Nation website 'Reading have four key attacking players who are capable of providing match-winning moments (and have done so already in their time with the Royals): Femi Azeez, Lewis Wing, Harvey Knibbs and Sam Smith.

Despite the fears of a mass sell-off that would include the above players, all stayed put. Reading reportedly had interest in all four of them and, whatever the precise reasons for declining sales, it was vital that they did so.

Most of the Deadline Day speculation was around Azeez, who was strongly linked with a move to Plymouth Argyle. Admittedly I had a bit of a heart-attack a couple of times, seeing differing reports/rumours that he was on his way to the Championship club, but ultimately he stayed put.

As did Wing, Knibbs and Smith, and to be honest I’m surprised there wasn’t more speculation about those three leaving. Wing in particular is at least top-end League One standard, if not Championship standard, so would have been a shrewd acquisition for a number of clubs.'

It's in defence Reading may have problems in terms of squad depth: 'Reading lost some really useful first-team-quality defensive options in the January window, cashing in on Abbey and McIntyre without securing loan-backs for either, unlike the sale of Holmes. Excluding players with little to no experience outside academy football, that leaves Reading with a back four of Andy Yiadom, Holmes, Tyler Bindon and Jeriel Dorsett, and just two backups: Clinton Mola and Amadou Mbengue.'

So overall, their first team is still very strong, but illness and injuries may well cause them problems as the season progresses, as they squad depth has been severely compromised by their owner selling back up players. 

• Options
    So you would rather be 1 point ahead than 1 point behind with three games in hand ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 7
    For me, this is what it's all about with this Reading game coming up. I hate the idea of us getting relegated, but it's going to make the occasion massive. 

This is a massive risk vs reward situation, this could be the kind of end of season that bridges a connection between the fans, manager and players if we stay up. A dead rubber end of season may not have achieved that, and the end result would be the same, we'd be in league 1 next season. I also think it will spark some life into these owners that we need more quality to go up, a near mid-table coast job might have seen them reluctant to spend cash.

As long as we get through Feb, and we stay above the relegation zone or not too far adrift, I think we can do it. 

All eyes on Cheltenham, Carlisle and Fleetwood fixtures. They're all back to back to back. For me, that run will define our season.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    So you would rather be 1 point ahead than 1 point behind with three games in hand ? 
    It was meant as a joke. 😢
  • Options
    Coventry, Portsmouth, Bolton, Luton and Brighton have all recovered from falls to L2 in the past, so if it does happen to us, it will only be the end of the world as we know it.

Remember that Brentford were in it as recently as 2010, winning the title under Andy Scott. Bournemouth were in it twenty years ago!

Of former PL teams, only Oldham and MK Dons, the Wimbledon as was version, are no longer at a higher level than L2.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Coventry, Portsmouth, Bolton, Luton and Brighton have all recovered from falls to L2 in the past, so if it does happen to us, it will only be the end of the world as we know it.

Remember that Brentford were in it as recently as 2010, winning the title under Andy Scott. Bournemouth were in it twenty years ago!

Of former PL teams, only Oldham and MK Dons, the Wimbledon as was version, are no longer at a higher level than L2.
    Bradford and Swindon as well
  • Options
    Our relegation to the fourth tier would be worse then all those other former PL teams as they were all financial basket cases, what is our excuse?

That being said, I don't believe we are going down. 
  • Options
    swordfish said:

Bradford and Swindon as well
    Well spotted. Lazy research on my part 🙄
  • Options
    Last win in the league, was November 28th, how many games ago?
  • Options
    Last league win was with Miles playing , we still haven’t replaced him, or is Ladapo in effect his replacement?
  • Options
    Reading have a far better record than us over the past 8 weeks, out of all the teams around us they are the most likely to pull clear which means that this Saturday's game is not season defining but a point would be helpful.
  • Options

4 wins, 6 draws, 1 loss. 

I don’t think they lost too many first team players? Just Abbey I think, most of the other players that went were squad players (could hurt them later on if they have injuries/suspensions to deal with).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

4 wins, 6 draws, 1 loss. 

[Posted this on a different thread:]

According to Reading's SB Nation website 'Reading have four key attacking players who are capable of providing match-winning moments (and have done so already in their time with the Royals): Femi Azeez, Lewis Wing, Harvey Knibbs and Sam Smith.

Despite the fears of a mass sell-off that would include the above players, all stayed put. Reading reportedly had interest in all four of them and, whatever the precise reasons for declining sales, it was vital that they did so.

Most of the Deadline Day speculation was around Azeez, who was strongly linked with a move to Plymouth Argyle. Admittedly I had a bit of a heart-attack a couple of times, seeing differing reports/rumours that he was on his way to the Championship club, but ultimately he stayed put.

As did Wing, Knibbs and Smith, and to be honest I’m surprised there wasn’t more speculation about those three leaving. Wing in particular is at least top-end League One standard, if not Championship standard, so would have been a shrewd acquisition for a number of clubs.'

It's in defence Reading may have problems in terms of squad depth: 'Reading lost some really useful first-team-quality defensive options in the January window, cashing in on Abbey and McIntyre without securing loan-backs for either, unlike the sale of Holmes. Excluding players with little to no experience outside academy football, that leaves Reading with a back four of Andy Yiadom, Holmes, Tyler Bindon and Jeriel Dorsett, and just two backups: Clinton Mola and Amadou Mbengue.'

So overall, their first team is still very strong, but illness and injuries may well cause them problems as the season progresses, as they squad depth has been severely compromised by their owner selling back up players. 

Fingers crossed for a Berkshire based plague!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

4 wins, 6 draws, 1 loss. 

I don’t think they lost too many first team players? Just Abbey I think, most of the other players that went were squad players (could hurt them later on if they have injuries/suspensions to deal with).
    Yeah after actually looking they didn't lose many at all. Just Abbey & the lad to Pompey.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

4 wins, 6 draws, 1 loss. 

Yeah after actually looking they didn't lose many at all. Just Abbey & the lad to Pompey.
    Unfortunately the fire sale never really happened! Shame as I would quite like for us to have signed Sam Smith.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

4 wins, 6 draws, 1 loss. 

They also lost Vickers and another youngster to Brighton. Those two will hurt the fans in the future if they come good but will have minimal impact on this season for them.  
  • Options
    se9addick said:

4 wins, 6 draws, 1 loss. 

Seven apparently, but only one first teamer. 
  • Options
    Just put a grand on us at 9/1 for the drop.

Call it a win/win situation.
  • Options

But you could lose a grand, and if you hadn't put the bet on you would still have it in May!

Ee oo dares Rodders! 
  • Options
    I haven't put a grand on us for the drop. When we stay up I will still have my grand 
  • Options

But you could lose a grand, and if you hadn't put the bet on you would still have it in May!

Ee oo dares Rodders! 
    I’m well up against the bookies. Life is shit, so just bet on stuff you don’t want to happen and watch the winnings roll in.