Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nathan Jones interview at 8.30 on YouTube

Comments

• Options
    You can certainly see how he is someone who gets the "buy in" from players compared to someone like Appleton. 

He's obviously got passion and I don't get the idea that he's the type to take any job for the money, he genuinely wants to/believes he can make a difference.

But as ever, on paper it seems fantastic but its on the pitch that matters.
  • Options
    Haven’t all recent managers said something similar but perhaps not as eloquently? I mean, the interviewer does feed them the sound bites.

I remember people being upbeat with Micky Apples appointment video and Dean Holden and probably Garner and Adkins.

Time and his ability to get over his ideas and methods will not necessarily begin on Saturday, of course I hope it does but as someone else said, I hope there’s not the usual meltdown on here if we lose, I hope the current love in, continues for a bit longer.

16 games to go, still a lot of points but the fact we haven’t won in 12, doesn’t make me think it’s easily achievable with this bunch of rag tag footballers..
    Holden yes.
    The others? I wanted to stick my head in the oven. Absolute bottom of the barrel dross.

I'm all on board the Jones Engine……..do do tsh, do do tsh 🚂🚂🚂🚂
  • Options
    Holden I was suspicious off, I thought he was a bit of a ‘know what the fans want to hear’ blagger. Appleton I just didn’t take to one iota.

Feels very different with Jones. Desperately hope my gut feel is right. 
    I feel the same after that interview
  • Options
    I definitely feel the 2024 Nathan Jones version will be the same on the training ground but will be circumspect with the national media. 
    In our position in League 1 it will be mainly local journalists who have his back anyway.

Positive results are paramount but it feels at last we have an upgrade given time.
  • Options
    edited February 7
    I want to know who it was that went for a Ruby Sunday night as he said being on the grass was great apart from the wind.
    Believe me...if he went for a Ruby Sunday night, "The wind" would be the least of his worries...🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As long as he has us trying to play to win, I’ll be happy. All too rare this season and entirely absent over the past few months. 

I really feel we have a better squad that results suggest. 
  • Options
    Probably bias, but I think Curtis Fleming has a better accent than Nathan Jones.
    Both way better than the sub Mancunian whine from Appleton and Holden, but neither of them are as off putting as Liam Gallagher the so called singer.
  • Options
    As long as he has us trying to play to win, I’ll be happy. All too rare this season and entirely absent over the past few months. 

I really feel we have a better squad that results suggest. 
    Will be a breath of fresh air to not read a lineup with 6 defenders in the starting 11
  • Options
    Impressive.

I also like the fact that he said from his conversations with the owners that they're in this for the long run and want to have a good go at it. I feel he wouldn't have come onboard unless if he genuinely believed that. 

Proof is always in the pudding but if we stay up this season (gulp) then I'm confident that next season could be an exciting one. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Accent.
    We actually have a Richard Burton season ticket holder sits in front of me (and he posts on here).
    ’Broadsword to Danny Boy!’.
    Not relevant to this thread but I have to say 'Where Eagles Dare' is one of my favourite films. Try counting how many Germans Clint Eastwood kills and forget about the helicopter inaccuracy.  
  • Options
    I feel slightly less pessimistic about the club's future, having been in a dark place of the last few weeks. Even relegation might not be the end of civilisation as we know it, although I feel that we should have enough to avoid it, even after this terrible run.
    But we really mustn't get too despondent if we lose at Reading, which we probably will. They've only lost one of their last ten games, and have eight points from their last four matches.
    My Reading mate tells me they lost seven players, but, according to SB Nation website 'Reading have four key attacking players who are capable of providing match-winning moments (and have done so already in their time with the Royals): Femi Azeez, Lewis Wing, Harvey Knibbs and Sam Smith.

Despite the fears of a mass sell-off that would include the above players, all stayed put. Reading reportedly had interest in all four of them and, whatever the precise reasons for declining sales, it was vital that they did so.

Most of the Deadline Day speculation was around Azeez, who was strongly linked with a move to Plymouth Argyle. Admittedly I had a bit of a heart-attack a couple of times, seeing differing reports/rumours that he was on his way to the Championship club, but ultimately he stayed put.

As did Wing, Knibbs and Smith, and to be honest I’m surprised there wasn’t more speculation about those three leaving. Wing in particular is at least top-end League One standard, if not Championship standard, so would have been a shrewd acquisition for a number of clubs.'

It's in defence Reading may have problems in terms of squad depth: 'Reading lost some really useful first-team-quality defensive options in the January window, cashing in on Abbey and McIntyre without securing loan-backs for either, unlike the sale of Holmes. Excluding players with little to no experience outside academy football, that leaves Reading with a back four of Andy Yiadom, Holmes, Tyler Bindon and Jeriel Dorsett, and just two backups: Clinton Mola and Amadou Mbengue.'

So overall, their first team is still very strong, but illness and injuries may well cause them problems as the season progresses, as they squad depth has been severely compromised by their owner selling back up players. 

I feel the Port Vale, Burton and Shrewsbury are more likely to slip towards the relegation places than Reading, for what it's worth. Even Wycombe, Cambridge and Exeter are some way from safety at this stage.

We just need to start winning matches, but just don't be too downhearted if it doesn't happen on Saturday. Although I am looking forward to it.  😊

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Accent.
    We actually have a Richard Burton season ticket holder sits in front of me (and he posts on here).
    ’Broadsword to Danny Boy!’.
    Not relevant to this thread but I have to say 'Where Eagles Dare' is one of my favourite films. Try counting how many Germans Clint Eastwood kills and forget about the helicopter inaccuracy.  
    A film where guns can shoot round corners.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Got to be honest, I watched no more than about 5 minutes or so of Appletons interviews as I couldn't stand the bloke and knew he wasn't long term, same as Holden, only watched a few bits here and there. 

I watched all of that, and I'll carry on watching as I think this is it. This is the manager we will talk about to the next generation.

(I say this and he'll walk after we get relegated to league 2)
    Well, Appleton just came across as a dour northerner and it was everyone else's problem for not appreciating him.

Holden came across as a likeable northerner but was a snipers nightmare bobbing and weaving all the time.

So in that context all he's got to do is sound lively when he opens his mouth and keep still and he's onto a winner - which he did successfully!
    So he’s more like Adkins then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He sounds like he gets us. Love his passion.
    Doubt he takes much , if any shit.

Pray for our snowflakes.
  • Options

The idea of scoring more and conceding less seems a bit revolutionary but I can buy into that.

Lol. Clearly he doesn’t ’get’ the new Charlton.
  • Options
    Didn’t he say that it was the owners who decided a manager was needed rather than head coach?
  • Options
    I think there has been a recent shift to pointing to the owners, which I take to be the majority shareholders, as those actually in charge.
    I laboured the point earlier when during the appointment saga it was Methven, no Scott, no Rodwell, no delegated to a kind of committee, nobody knowing where the buck stops and final decisions are made.
    Who knows, perhaps I helped alert some forces at the club to be straight and honest with the fans.
    Friedman and Brener in whatever proportion, success and failure is on them, including their decision to appoint Nathan Jones.
  • Options
    edited February 7
    Didn’t he say that it was the owners who decided a manager was needed rather than head coach?
    I think he said something along the lines of what Charlton said they wanted and how they wanted it driven and that demanded a managerial not a head coach role. It starts about 4 minutes in.
  • Options
    jonno said:
    I think he said something along the lines of what Charlton said they wanted and how they wanted it driven and that demanded a managerial not a head coach role. It starts about 4 minutes in.
    Doesn't sound like it bodes very well for Mr Scott then really...
  • Options
    edited February 7
    seth plum said:
    I think there has been a recent shift to pointing to the owners, which I take to be the majority shareholders, as those actually in charge.
    I laboured the point earlier when during the appointment saga it was Methven, no Scott, no Rodwell, no delegated to a kind of committee, nobody knowing where the buck stops and final decisions are made.
    Who knows, perhaps I helped alert some forces at the club to be straight and honest with the fans.
    Friedman and Brener in whatever proportion, success and failure is on them, including their decision to appoint Nathan Jones.
    Yeah, credit where it’s due Seth, appreciate your help securing Jones ;)
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Yeah, credit where it’s due Seth, appreciate your help securing Jones ;)
    I wasn’t particularly exercised about a particular manager, just wanted to know where the buck stops given the controlled information leaked out to some supporters by some people purporting to being important people at the club.
  • Options
    I enjoyed him side stepping the chance to blame fans, saying yes we need to get behind the team but they need to give us a sign of progress.
  • Options
    This should be shown in a training session. Not saying they can play like it, but it shows it can be done. 

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/3o5dPYumCJkwHeyx/