Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nathan Jones interview at 8.30 on YouTube

12346»

Comments

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    jonno said:
    Didn’t he say that it was the owners who decided a manager was needed rather than head coach?
    I think he said something along the lines of what Charlton said they wanted and how they wanted it driven and that demanded a managerial not a head coach role. It starts about 4 minutes in.
    Doesn't sound like it bodes very well for Mr Scott then really...
    His role seems to be to identify players, not sure it’s impacted by the recruitment of Jones. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    jonno said:
    Didn’t he say that it was the owners who decided a manager was needed rather than head coach?
    I think he said something along the lines of what Charlton said they wanted and how they wanted it driven and that demanded a managerial not a head coach role. It starts about 4 minutes in.
    His role seems to be to identify players, not sure it’s impacted by the recruitment of Jones. 
    I think Andy Scott was in charge of all football operations (academy through first team), the medical and analytical stuff (including dietary) and recruitment? I'm not sure who had responsibility for groundskeeping and facilities?
    It would be interesting to see the org. chart before and after NJ and whether NJ reports into AS, I imagine he does but would think some of the people previously reporting to AS will now report to NJ.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    jonno said:
    I think Jones appointment has impinged on Scott’s previous remit. How could it not. Previously both Holden and Appleton were both Head Coaches with no real authority outside of the training ground and no doubt some input into player acquisition. I think that Jones interview made it perfectly clear that Jones Managers role will have impact right through the football club. 
  • Options
    Like ‘managing upwards’, recruiting performance managers and other miscellaneous bollox 
  • Options
    edited February 7
    Couple of things I really liked:
    1. Him saying to supporters "please have an open mind" while also understanding that what will turn around their feelings is results. It felt a lot more realistic and measured than some of the platitudes we've seen in the past (Holden) or the seeming indifference (Appleton).
    2. When asked about transfers, he said that of course the squad will evolve over time but that the main thing is to win with the players we have now. That was SO refreshing. In his first interview after being appointed right after the summer window Appleton was already talking about getting players in in January. I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. You have four months of football to play between now and then. Your job is not wheeler dealer, it's head coach. The era of "don't judge me until I can get my own players in" is over. You don't get that luxury, especially if that luxury involves the team getting relegated first. Go make the team you have better. 

I also always forget just how Welsh he is. He sounds like a character Rob Brydon would do in The Trip. It's downright lovely.

This is the most optimistic I've been about a newly appointed manager since...maybe Robinson? Appleton and Adkins were lower league journeymen who'd had some success years ago but had had poor spells in coaching since then. Holden felt unqualified and like the sporting director consultant's mate, which he was. Garner might be another candidate for most hopeful, but he was still really new to management--but he did feel like, if given time and resources he could build something. Obviously that didn't happen.

With Jacko my feeling was mostly just "not yet." He'd been a part of a lot of coaching set ups that had really struggled tactically, and that combined with no managerial experience made it feel like it might be too much too soon. And with Bows, I just wasn't sure he wanted to manage at first. Obviously he did in the long run, but he seemed to kind of come into coaching under Robinson as something to fill his spare time. I know both he in Jacko were in contention for the job when he got it, and honestly, I would have put my money on Jacko being a manager before Bowyer. Obviously things worked out great for a couple of years afterward, and even in Bowyer's first game you could tell "hey there's something here," but I wasn't expecting it.

Just want to stress these were my first opinions at the appointment, not what happened afterward.

Also, before I get stick, yes Robinson was known to be a gobshite and would eat himself if he was made of chocolate, but he'd really built something with MK Dons and I believe had been promoted twice with them, once out of League One. Coming off of random Roland appointments and Russell Slade, Robbo at the time felt like someone who could really take the club forward. Obviously didn't happen. 

Lastly, I haven't forgotten that Jones hasn't had success outside of Luton, or how bad it went with Southampton. I am trying to temper my expectations here. But I think if he (and the board) get it right, he brings a much higher ceiling to the club than any recent manager.
  • Options
    very good interview .. to state the obvious, the players MUST get behind him .. at the moment all the fans are bang on his side, and long may it last
  • Options
    very good interview .. to state the obvious, the players MUST get behind him .. at the moment all the fans are bang on his side, and long may it last
    not all, I am on the side of the team but have my reservations with regard. to the manager, only time will tell
  • Options
    not all, I am on the side of the team but have my reservations with regard. to the manager, only time will tell
    well, I made it clear during the pre appointment posts that I did not want him  at all as our manager .. I based my huge doubts on his managerial record and an incident at the Valley when he was there managing Stoke which I will not go into here and now .. BUT, he is here now and he'll get my support until and IF we end up in the deepest pool of excreta we have ever been in .. it seems he has got a lot of power at CAFC, he needs to use it very wisely and (to state the obvious) motivate the team to get some results, like yesterday, if not sooner

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 7
    thenewbie said:
    jonno said:
    I think Andy Scott was in charge of all football operations (academy through first team), the medical and analytical stuff (including dietary) and recruitment? I'm not sure who had responsibility for groundskeeping and facilities?
    It would be interesting to see the org. chart before and after NJ and whether NJ reports into AS, I imagine he does but would think some of the people previously reporting to AS will now report to NJ.
    It’s incredible to see how many staff are involved in the management and coaching structures, compared to the days of secretary-managers aided by a man with a bucket of water and a magic sponge. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    jonno said:
    It’s incredible to see how many staff are involved in the management and coaching structures, compared to the days of secretary-managers aided by a man with a bucket of water and a magic sponge. 
    Lol I know....... although you did forget they also had a blackboard, chalk and a stick for pointing  :smile:
  • Options
    I am encouraged.
    We really need this to work.
    Crucial times.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    jonno said:
    I think Jones appointment has impinged on Scott’s previous remit. How could it not. Previously both Holden and Appleton were both Head Coaches with no real authority outside of the training ground and no doubt some input into player acquisition. I think that Jones interview made it perfectly clear that Jones Managers role will have impact right through the football club. 
    Potentially leading to a relieving of duties.   He's not been a success so far in any way shape or form.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I think a lot of the reason we ended up with apples is that he fitted into Scott’s plans in that he is happy just to do his bit ‘on the grass’ and wouldn’t be treading on his toes in other areas - as it happens, he was shit on the grass and even worse off it - if NJ can look after the players and coaches and do the PR bit with the fans and take an active role in recruitment, he can leave Scott to do all the other tedious stuff 
    And f*** that up.
  • Options
    We've always got behind Powell and Bowyer, so I assume this won't change with Charlton history recruitment.
    However, now the situation is different given our desperate situation.
    Jones will not get flack but if our next few games go badly The Valley will be a bad place.
  • Options
    well, I made it clear during the pre appointment posts that I did not want him  at all as our manager .. I based my huge doubts on his managerial record and an incident at the Valley when he was there managing Stoke which I will not go into here and now .. BUT, he is here now and he'll get my support until and IF we end up in the deepest pool of excreta we have ever been in .. it seems he has got a lot of power at CAFC, he needs to use it very wisely and (to state the obvious) motivate the team to get some results, like yesterday, if not sooner

His managerial record stacks up for us. given our position now.
  • Options

His managerial record stacks up for us. given our position now.
    perhaps RECENT managerial record would be a better description of my then opinion lol :) .. AND it could be he's a bit of a 'rebel rouser', just what we need after the bland and rather boring manner of the last few incumbents .. we all hope whatever he is, he'll be a winner very SOON
  • Options
    Sky showed a mini interview. 4.5 years nj said. Contract wise he is led to believe. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stability at long last.
  • Options
    Multiple tingles?

You lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, luck, luck…………..😜
  • Options
    Long may Fanny's acrostic Tingles last !
  • Options
    One thing that comes across to me very clearly is that he won't settle for any lame ducks.  Either pull your weight & buy into what I'm doing or you'll be out the door

I'm all in on Nathan Jones after watching that.

Roll on Saturday 
    Only trouble is, it appears we have 11 lame ducks!!!
  • Options
    It's taken me a while to find the right words to express my utter relief & excitement at this far reaching appointment. 

Some of us on here tentatively put Nathan's name forward early doors when it became abundantly clear that MA wasn't cutting the mustard & a change of manager was becoming more urgent match by match.

These "pioneers" were met with a lukewarm reception for their suggestion - a soupcon of scorn &  derision was even aimed in our direction, mainly based on the merits of the Welshman and the likelihood of his seeking a post in a higher league. 

Oh ye of little faith ! 

Nathan's detractors, on the whole, have since fallen by the wayside following his appointment and since his initial interview was aired. 

Whilst we're all too aware that the Bara Brith cannot be judged until tasted, our man was extremely impressive with his responses to Charlotte's questions, especially with his statement that THIS was the project he'd been waiting for. 

I trust that I echo the thoughts of many Addicks when I say that YOU are the one we've been wating for, young man. 

Finally, I am pleased & relieved to announce the second return or should that be coming ....

Trust

In

Nathan ! 

Good 

Luck !

Endless

Success ! 

And yes ! There's now more than one !

COYA !!!!!  
    Tingle Sac?