Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jones' press conference

Comments

• Options
    edited February 9
    Southbank said:
    thenewbie said:
    Why do people keep bashing his religion? He's clearly a man of faith, you might not be. Just leave it at that.

To be clear I am not religious in the slightest.
    Agree…but…..  

Wasn’t this based on him giving religious themed team talks?   

Apologies if not, But if so, please leave your faith at the door when you go to work.     How you think I should do my job to the best of my ability should have nothing to do with your own spiritual beliefs, regardless of what they
    may or may not be.  

Amazed anyone would think differently in this day and age. 

No. It wasn't. Someone mentioned that Jones is pretty devoutly Christian (as are lots of people) and this somehow got turned into him basically delivering sermons in training... based on nothing. 

There's literally no evidence he doesn't "leave it at the door."
    I would be very pleased if he instilled the Protestant work ethic into this underperforming squad.
    Wtf is Protestant work ethic ! ?

You may not like the term(i don't)but for a man in his 60's I don't believe you have never heard the term. It's only in the recent decade that the word has gone out of fashion.
    Maybe it's your idea of a joke or you want to say 'Whoosh'.
  • Options
    I think there are any number of words and phrases that have gone out of fashion and useage due to a more enlightened view of what they mean or represent. I’d suggest that the phrase in question at play here is one of those. 
  • Options
    Really enjoyed both of his interviews so far, especially his no-nonsense responses to a couple of very pointed questions from a few journalist who were clearly looking for a reaction.

I pray we all keep an open mind, even if we lose tomorrow. As he says it is very difficult to build anything in 4 days but as long as we get a reaction from the players then its a start.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    thenewbie said:
    Why do people keep bashing his religion? He's clearly a man of faith, you might not be. Just leave it at that.

Agree…but…..  

Apologies if not, But if so, please leave your faith at the door when you go to work.     How you think I should do my job to the best of my ability should have nothing to do with your own spiritual beliefs, regardless of what they
    may or may not be.  

No. It wasn't. Someone mentioned that Jones is pretty devoutly Christian (as are lots of people) and this somehow got turned into him basically delivering sermons in training... based on nothing. 

I would be very pleased if he instilled the Protestant work ethic into this underperforming squad.
    'The Protestant work ethic places a high value on productivity and frugality and places a negative value on those who do not work hard and try to succeed at their job.'

i.e. work hard, don't let in goals and win games, or you are off.
  • Options
    Found this on the seats of the tube carriage I got into the other day, wondered if it was a prep for NJ’s team talk?

• Options
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    thenewbie said:

Agree…but…..  

may or may not be.  

'The Protestant work ethic places a high value on productivity and frugality and places a negative value on those who do not work hard and try to succeed at their job.'

So just the same work ethic everyone else has, Protestant or not.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    thenewbie said:

Agree…but…..  

may or may not be.  

Except it was the Protestants that popularised it in the first place.

• Options
    edited February 10
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    thenewbie said:

Agree…but…..  

may or may not be.  

Except it was the Protestants that popularised it in the first place.

Work ethic ? Or the phrase ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Chuks is fit"
  • Options
    Well done to the second interviewer, asked the tough questions 
  • Options
    It seemed to me that the Welsh accent was stronger during the tougher questions
  • Options
    Think that was Rich Cawley, the first one being our Terry.
  • Options
    Interesting to hear that Nathan Jones has known George Dobson for a long time
    Yeah I've been trying to work out how
  • Options
    edited February 12
    fenaddick said:
    Yeah I've been trying to work out how
    Maybe he meant... He's known of George

Edit: that was an excellent Question to ask if Jones had influence on the Ramsay and Small signings
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 12
    addick19 said:
    One comment NJ made; that if players like Aneke and Leaburn had been fit maybe Holden or Appleton might not have been sacked.
    I agree with him, we looked a different team under Appleton when we had those two fit

Just look at Man City's record though whenever they've been without Rodri, or now they have de Bruyne back
  • Options
    Their careers don’t appear to have crossed so maybe youth football when Dobbo was at Arsenal from the age of 8 before joining West Ham aged 17 in 2015 🤷‍♂️.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Their careers don’t appear to have crossed so maybe youth football when Dobbo was at Arsenal from the age of 8 before joining West Ham aged 17 in 2015 🤷‍♂️.
    Jones was managing Luton in L1 in the first half of 18/19 when Dobson was playing for Walsall. Walsall had him loan a few years before that so at some point he’d had become aware of him if he wasn’t already from when Dobson was at West Ham.
  • Options
    Good questions from Cawley. Understandably Terry was a bit gentler.