Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Reading vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 10th February 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Reading vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 10th February 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Craig Hicks

Introduction
Never has there been a Derby that has excited Charlton fans more than this one... The prospect of a trip along the length of the Elizabeth Line, is a treat for even the 'ardest of Supporter - On a serious note this match is potentially one of the biggest this coming season, there may be sixteen games left, but its still a six pointer, and if the Addicks can head home with anything this weekend, I'll be without doubt... Chuffed.

Add in the factor of Nathan Jones taking charge for the first time... Well this could be the most exciting match for some time.

The Opposition
Name: Reading (19th) | Manager: Rubén Sellés
Ground: Madejski Stadium
Previous League Result: Stevenage 0-1 Reading

Its perhaps ironic that Nathan Jones is first up against the man who replaced him in his last Managerial role - Rubén Sellés must have the patience of a Saint to be putting up with the mess that is Wig... Sorry I mean Reading... like the EFL its a force of habit to think that the latest Ownership issues are happening further North given the last twelve months.

For Reading though, I've lost couple the amount of Transfer Embargos... Suspended Fines etc. that they've received this season, all thanks to another owner who wont move aside in: Dai Yongge - It was a relief though for their slowly protesting fans, that the suspected fire sale didnt happen last month, and the Football Gods appear to be looking kindly on Berkshire at present; given their victory at Stevenage on Tuesday night (thanks to an own goal)… However our chances of recording victory at the Madejski Stadium could be slim, they've not lost at home since the 9th December, and only the once since at all... Its a relief that form is a fickle beast and can end at any time.

In terms of individuals, and from what I saw on Tuesday night, they're an organised unit in defence (Even though they may have lost to a more free scoring side), with strength in attack - Sam Smith, who was linked with the Addicks in the Summer likes to play on the shoulder of the Defence, and exploited the Stevenage high line more than once, whilst Harvey Knibbs and Charlie Savage are a creative force in Midfield.

Charlton Team News
Apparently its just Miles Leaburn who hasn't returned to training now, and is understandably unavailable for the game tomorrow, I find that somewhat surprising given that Michael Hector was supposed to be out for ten weeks with a Hamstring injury, but its a welcome sight having so many options available.

Who Nathan Jones chooses, and how we setup remains to be seen... Kayne Ramsay and Thierry Small could be options at Full-Back (or Wing-Back) having joined the Addicks at the end of the Transfer Window, or after it in Thierry's case - Whilst we could see a change in goal, given that Harry Isted has worked for the Welsh Magician when at Luton Town... We'll equally see this coming Weekend, whether George Dobson's injury that kept him from the Derby game, was just that something more sinister. Am sure he, and the rest of the squad will be Hungary to show they're worth keeping into next season.

Maynard-Brewer
Ramsay - Edmonds-Green - Gillesphey - Edun
Dobson
Coventry - Bakinson
L.Watson
May - Ladapo

Substitutes Bench: Isted - Ness - Thomas - Taylor - Fiorini - Campbell - Kanu

Comments

• Options
    I expect it will be Small rather than Taylor on your bench.
    Can NJ get a better tune out of the same orchestra or will the harsh reality of players mental and physical shortcomings make him "feel physically sick, to the pit of my stomach".
    His enthusiasm is infectious and I am backing him to motivate and organise his team to raise their level of performance.
    The fans are on board and there in numbers and there is a collective will to change our fortunes.
    Given a little luck on top and maybe a new manager bounce and real momentum starts here
  • Options
    I would probably have that starting XI apart from Edun. Whilst he’s actually played pretty well the past two or three games, I think he’s suspect defensively. I would start Thomas on the left to give us a bit more stability at the back.
  • Options
    The lowest footballing point in all our lifetimes and it’s going to get worse 
    can’t see a win , draw at best 

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I would probably have that starting XI apart from Edun. Whilst he’s actually played pretty well the past two or three games, I think he’s suspect defensively. I would start Thomas on the left to give us a bit more stability at the back.
    Don’t think he works at left back in a diamond, we’d have no threat down the left. 

I think it will be 3-5-2, which is what I’d go with as defensively I think we’d be exposed with the diamond 

Isted 
             REG. Thomas Gillesphey 
    Ramsay Coventry  Dobson  Edun 
                         Watson 
                      May Ladapo 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    se9addick said:
    Don’t think he works at left back in a diamond, we’d have no threat down the left. 

I think it will be 3-5-2, which is what I’d go with as defensively I think we’d be exposed with the diamond 

Isted 
             REG. Thomas Gillesphey 
                         Watson 
                      May Ladapo 
    Ugh…the three at the back really hasn’t worked. It would be good if we he wide players who got back, but time and time again we’ve shown that we don’t. Maybe Reg can fill that role more effectively than T Watson, but it would still make me really nervous. 

My perspective is that we need a defence that can actually defend, that’s why I would go with a four at the back with Thomas on the left of it.
  • Options

The club being touted for moving to Milton Keynes, the club almost going out of existence, the club moving to Selhurst, the Valley overgrown and derelict …these are low points in our lifetimes . A cyclical relegation scrap isn’t.
    Right be I think the important qualifier was lowest footballing point…
  • Options
    Four points minimum from the next two games are needed imo. Call me crazy, but I have a feeling we'll get six.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 9
    Pleased to see you're predicting a back 4 @ForeverAddickted, though not sure why you exclude Thomas from your starters .. the time has come to ditch 3 at the back with 'wing backs' .. I hope Jones  has the same idea as you .. it's time Ladapo got with  the programme and we need him to do so NOW as much needed support for May .. I have a good feeling about this and am sure the players do as well following the Appleton regime which surely bored the squad to death

A win to start the dash up the table under our new managerial regime 
  • Options

Forever's choice has only one proper defender and a dodgy keeper. Recipe for disaster. Also Thomas has been our best defender for weeks (low bar). We have to start with trying to get a clean sheet, so 352 with L Watson advanced behind the front 2.

Isted
     Edmonds-Green - Gillesphey - Thomas 
    Ramsay-Dobson-Coventry-L Watson- Edun
    May - Ladapo

Substitutes Bench: MB - Ness - Bakinson - Taylor - Kanu- Campbell -TWatson 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    NabySarr said:
    se9addick said:

Isted 
             REG. Thomas Gillesphey 
                         Watson 
                      May Ladapo 
    Ugh…the three at the back really hasn’t worked. It would be good if we he wide players who got back, but time and time again we’ve shown that we don’t. Maybe Reg can fill that role more effectively than T Watson, but it would still make me really nervous. 

My perspective is that we need a defence that can actually defend, that’s why I would go with a four at the back with Thomas on the left of it.
    It hasn’t, but we also haven’t had a manager that is able to coach it well. Appleton has hardly ever played 3 at the back in his coaching career, but Jones did it with great success with Luton in the championship 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

The club being touted for moving to Milton Keynes, the club almost going out of existence, the club moving to Selhurst, the Valley overgrown and derelict …these are low points in our lifetimes . A cyclical relegation scrap isn’t.
    This is the best squad of players I’ve ever seen at the Valley to find themselves in a relegation scrap they should be nowhere near and it’s a squad that if they get their act together under the right manager wouldn’t surprise me if they won every game between now and the end of the season. I don’t expect them to but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.
    I’d be pretty bloody surprised if Charlton won every match between now and the end of the season!
  • Options
    A must win
  • Options
    Big game.  Great that we’ve sold out the away end, think that will make a massive difference, and I hope the players feel the uplift with Jones’ appointment and can see a bit of hope.  I think we can win it 2-1 
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Forever's choice has only one proper defender and a dodgy keeper. Recipe for disaster. Also Thomas has been our best defender for weeks (low bar). We have to start with trying to get a clean sheet, so 352 with L Watson advanced behind the front 2.

Isted
     Edmonds-Green - Gillesphey - Thomas 
    Ramsay-Dobson-Coventry-L Watson- Edun
    May - Ladapo

Substitutes Bench: MB - Ness - Bakinson - Taylor - Kanu- Campbell -TWatson 
    this would be my team in a must not lose game

0-2 - May and Ladapo opening his account and a clean sheet to boot

Jones goes beserk at the final whistle pumping his chest and almost jumping into the away end

a new dawn begins...

(fingers crossed)
  • Options
    It's a new era I tell you. 

1-1
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

This is the best squad of players I’ve ever seen at the Valley to find themselves in a relegation scrap they should be nowhere near and it’s a squad that if they get their act together under the right manager wouldn’t surprise me if they won every game between now and the end of the season. I don’t expect them to but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.
    I’d be pretty bloody surprised if Charlton won every match between now and the end of the season!
    It’s unlikely to happen but it wouldn’t be a surprise, it’s a new 16 game season and tomorrow is game 1 with a new manager to sweep away the negativity of the approach most of the squad and all the fans have had to contend with; and we have a player who scores for fun when he’s not having to win the ball in his own goal area and cross to himself to set up a chance. A bit of positivity from the Charlton fans will do wonders to help, because let’s face it, Appleton’s approach killed the atmosphere and that has had its own negative impact on the players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-2.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

It’s unlikely to happen but it wouldn’t be a surprise, it’s a new 16 game season and tomorrow is game 1 with a new manager to sweep away the negativity of the approach most of the squad and all the fans have had to contend with; and we have a player who scores for fun when he’s not having to win the ball in his own goal area and cross to himself to set up a chance. A bit of positivity from the Charlton fans will do wonders to help, because let’s face it, Appleton’s approach killed the atmosphere and that has had its own negative impact on the players.
    Fair enough, I guess we all have our own levels of surprisedness and I would be extraordinarily surprised if Charlton won 16 games in a row. 
  • Options
    Expect us to look better than we have previously but still can't see us winning this. Hopefully I'm wrong. Expect Jones to go a bit more attacking than Fleming 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Fair enough, I guess we all have our own levels of surprisedness and I would be extraordinarily surprised if Charlton won 16 games in a row. 
    You probably wouldn’t. It starts with one win, tomorrow hopefully, then another, and another and then if we can do it again perceptions and expectations will start to change, both at Charlton, on and off the pitch, and at other clubs. Winning after that will just seem the likely outcome. 
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Hope we go with the diamond in midfield, think it complements the midfield options we have at the moment. Would love to see L.Watson at the top of it, with May and Ladapo/Kanu that could be a nice little attacking unit.

I watched the Reading Stevenage game, and Reading werent exactly pretty on the eye, but had a lot of energy and it looks like they believe they can stay in League 1 this season, so this will be a real test of who wants it most.

Charlton win 2-1, expect for a 96th min equaliser form Reading ffs.
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Reading won at Stevenage 1-0 last game,  yet somehow will 5 days coaching cafc are going to have a team that are organised, have each others backs and the fitness to go 100 minutes and score more goals than the opposition? Nathan Jones Magic dust would've to be potent.

This game is step 1 to the long and winding road, 16 steps to safety.
    A loss would be a big blow but not totally a surprise.
    A draw would be a good start with our poor away form. 
    A win would be the catalyst to the bright new dawn; let it be.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

You probably wouldn’t. It starts with one win, tomorrow hopefully, then another, and another and then if we can do it again perceptions and expectations will start to change, both at Charlton, on and off the pitch, and at other clubs. Winning after that will just seem the likely outcome. 
    Sounds good, looking forward to it!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Right now I'd be ecstatic (plus surprised) if we could win 16 games in a season.
  • Options
    Reading won at Stevenage 1-0 last game,  yet somehow will 5 days coaching cafc are going to have a team that are organised, have each others backs and the fitness to go 100 minutes and score more goals than the opposition? Nathan Jones Magic dust would've to be potent.

This game is step 1 to the long and winding road, 16 steps to safety.
    A loss would be a big blow but not totally a surprise.
    A draw would be a good start with our poor away form. 
    A win would be the catalyst to the bright new dawn; let it be.
    Reading won due to a Stevenage own goal.