Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Reading vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 10th February 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    Like Golfie this will be my first away game since Man U.
    Massive interest among supporters, generated by arrival of the Jones boy.
    Trying to keep a level head but feel like a kid at Xmas.
        COYR!
  • Options
    Back to back wins this week will make us all feel a little better. Would settle for 4pts.

Reading aren't as bad as their league position suggests (we are) so going to be another tough game.

Hopefully new manager bounce and big away following gets us going 🙏 
  • Options
    edited February 10
    I steered clear of the Reading match on the Prediction thread because this is a classic treble chance. Before the appointment of NJ I think the chances of an away win would be 7/1, but now, who knows. 
    The big difference is I feel excitement before the match rather than dread. First away match since Crawley. 

• Options
    Feels like a new club bounce let alone manager. Perhaps I've got those rose tinted glasses on, but feeling positive. 
  • Options
    First away since Accrington in Jul22, season ticket holder but they just haven't seem worth going watch any more than I have to alongside less tolerance for some of the idiots who follow us. But I just hope todays the day things start to look up and I would take a draw.
    COME YOU ADDICKS 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Our biggest game for a while and one where there's a lot of interest as a result of Jones' arrival. Hopefully we'll see the start of a renaissance and will come home with all three points. That said, despite what anyone might say this game is not the be all and end all; we can win today and still go down, we can lose today and still stay up. We can't take it easy if we win and we shouldn't give up if we lose. Let's give it our best shot, but whatever happens we shouldn't let it go to our heads.

Stig with wise words at 1.51am today.
  • Options
    COYR 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best of luck to the team today and hope all fans have a great day - win or lose, it feels like we are at the start of something good 👍 COYR !!! 
  • Options
    Honestly I don't think we win this game. Reading are in top form and are battling for their whole club's survival. 

I'll be judging the Lincoln game on Tuesday more than this. 
  • Options
    What are people saying, take a point now?
  • Options
    If a point keeps us out of the bottom.four, I'd take it, but it's more about a decent improvement in performance today albeit NJ has had only a week.
  • Options
    edited February 10
    Honestly I don't think we win this game. Reading are in top form and are battling for their whole club's survival. 

I'll be judging the Lincoln game on Tuesday more than this. 

😉
  • Options
    My lad says NJ mixes up his formations so am going 4-1-2-1-2:

Isted

Ramsay     REG    Gillesphy    Edun

Dobbo

Coventry          Bakinson

L Watson

May                  Ladapo 

subs: AMB, Thomas, Small, T Watson, Fiorini, Campbell, Kanu 

Leaving home in an hour - absolutely tingling for a relegation 6 pointer - plain f*****g weird!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Well I’m not but it’s better than nothing and keeps the oppo still below us.
  • Options
    So do we finally see the light at the end of the tunnel  and get an away win. Do we get a point in our fight against the drop, with another stumbling display by our unmatched bunch of footballing misfits. Or do we lose again, and Jones is the latest of the ever changing bunch of shit managers to roll through the door. 

We are currently the WORSE team in league One.

• Options
    Wouldn’t it be great if we had new manager bounce, not sure we’ve ever had that, have we?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    No, I wouldn't. A point is a point, but I want all three. If it was the last game of the season I'd take it as a no brainer, but right now I'd rather get off to a great start under our new manager. It might be mumbo-jumbo, but 'think lucky and you'll be lucky' as Evadne Price used to say.
  • Options
    When the story of our rise from league one to European champions is made into a blockbuster film, Michael Sheen must be nailed on to play Nathan Jones
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    The lowest footballing point in all our lifetimes and it’s going to get worse 
    can’t see a win , draw at best 

The club being touted for moving to Milton Keynes, the club almost going out of existence, the club moving to Selhurst, the Valley overgrown and derelict …these are low points in our lifetimes . A cyclical relegation scrap isn’t.
    Right be I think the important qualifier was lowest footballing point…
    This is the best squad of players I’ve ever seen at the Valley to find themselves in a relegation scrap they should be nowhere near and it’s a squad that if they get their act together under the right manager wouldn’t surprise me if they won every game between now and the end of the season. I don’t expect them to but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.
    I’d be pretty bloody surprised if Charlton won every match between now and the end of the season!
    It’s unlikely to happen but it wouldn’t be a surprise, it’s a new 16 game season and tomorrow is game 1 with a new manager to sweep away the negativity of the approach most of the squad and all the fans have had to contend with; and we have a player who scores for fun when he’s not having to win the ball in his own goal area and cross to himself to set up a chance. A bit of positivity from the Charlton fans will do wonders to help, because let’s face it, Appleton’s approach killed the atmosphere and that has had its own negative impact on the players.
    Fair enough, I guess we all have our own levels of surprisedness and I would be extraordinarily surprised if Charlton won 16 games in a row. 
    You probably wouldn’t. It starts with one win, tomorrow hopefully, then another, and another and then if we can do it again perceptions and expectations will start to change, both at Charlton, on and off the pitch, and at other clubs. Winning after that will just seem the likely outcome. 
    16 wins in a row! I don’t think that even our Championship winning team of 2000 or League One winners of 2012 managed that. How could you think that this bunch of losers could even get close?

think you’re off your rocker. I’m willing to bet that never in any professional league in the world has a team winless in 14 games with no clean sheets ever then gone to win every of their last 16 matches. Are you intending on matchfixing or downright cheating to make it happen?

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I’d take a good performance and a point. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    When the story of our rise from league one to European champions is made into a blockbuster film, Michael Sheen must be nailed on to play Nathan Jones
    But he will probably be about 80 by then and too old to play Jones 🥴
  • Options
    Personally think this is a must win. Whether we get it or not though, is another matter.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    The lowest footballing point in all our lifetimes and it’s going to get worse 
    can’t see a win , draw at best 
    I think we’ve been lower in the league a few years back, but this has certainly been an awful run. 

Really? A few years back? It would be more like 100 years, if at all.
  • Options
    It's a new era I tell you. 

1-1
    With the Reading  goal coming in the 94th minute from a defensive mix up.