Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Reading vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 10th February 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    edited February 9
    Just heard a podcast with Neil Warnock and he states 80% of being a decent football manager is good man management. Knowing who needs an arm around the shoulder and who needs the kick up the backside.  
    He conceded having class footballers helped.
    Warnock was very impressed with Rarmani Edmonds-Green for the 10 or so games he played under him at Huddersfield; so much so that he let Reg have his last Rolo.
  • Options
    edited February 9
    I think Thomas would feel a bit aggrieved if he drops to the bench. He has been our best defender recently and is playing consistently well.

This is a must not lose game, but I have a feeling we will narrowly lose 1-0.  
  • Options
    Really think not losing is the priority this week, and hopefully a late winner might come, no silly mistakes at the back and we can do it, 0-0 a possibility.
  • Options
    Massive game of football. 

2-1 to us and time for Ladapo to turn up with a brace. 

COYR’s!!!
  • Options
    I won’t even try to second guess Nathan Jones’s starting eleven or the formation he’ll use so will be interesting at 2pm tomorrow to see what he goes with.

On current form you can’t see past a home win really but with Appleton gone and Jones now in charge then form goes out the window to a certain extent. I think we will concede but I’m going for us to score first, be pegged back but then late on score the winner. COYA.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    Reading won at Stevenage 1-0 last game,  yet somehow will 5 days coaching cafc are going to have a team that are organised, have each others backs and the fitness to go 100 minutes and score more goals than the opposition? Nathan Jones Magic dust would've to be potent.

This game is step 1 to the long and winding road, 16 steps to safety.
    A loss would be a big blow but not totally a surprise.
    A draw would be a good start with our poor away form. 
    A win would be the catalyst to the bright new dawn; let it be.
    Reading won due to a Stevenage own goal.
    Do they not count then? I haven’t seen the goal but I’m assuming Reading got the ball in the Stevenage box so allowing the ball to enter the net somehow,
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    The lowest footballing point in all our lifetimes and it’s going to get worse 
    can’t see a win , draw at best 
    I think we’ve been lower in the league a few years back, but this has certainly been an awful run. 
    Get worse? As it’s Jones’ first match in charge I sincerely hope (and believe maybe) that things will start improving over the next few weeks. With some tough fixtures coming up after the Lincoln game we might need to be patient however. 
    Whether Jones will prefer Edmonds-Green in defence over Ness, who is improving again, remains to be seen. Has REG played in defence for us yet btw? And Terry Thomas doesn't deserve to be dropped.
    Tenai might well make way for Ramsay who looks interesting. 
    We have been lower in the league a couple of seasons ago but that was early doors not at this stage of the season. Oohaah is right.
  • Options
    The most excited and nervous I've been for a match in a while.

Reading have gotten some good results lately, and since they went to a 4-1-4-1/4-2-3-1. Not having to face Nelson Abbey again will be very nice. Hopefully Holmes misses out again. But they have a decent starting XI. And they made one sub on Tuesday night (and one change to the team from Saturday). So obviously they aren't blessed with depth at this point.

I think it's winnable, I think it's losable, I'm curious to see how Jones lines the team up.  
  • Options
    We will be there doing our bit
    It's time for the team to do theirs love a win but would be happy with a draw 
    So COYR Let's do this  B)
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Going over previous NJ set ups and looking at our squad, I think he’ll line up in a diamond. The DM will be versatile to drop in and make a 3 allowing the FB’s to bomb on. 
                                   AMB / Isted
                           Thomas     Gillesphey
    Watson / Ramsey                               Edun
                                       REG
                     Dobson                 Coventry    
                              Watson/Camara

Ladapo       May

Reg was so much more effective as an outside CB & stepping in, wouldn’t be surprised to see him drop in on the outside of the central CB (in forward rotation). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely no idea what formation we'll line up in, what players he'll pick, what tactics we'll use...

Two crucial games in 4 days, we just need a win. With confidence this squad can give anyone a game, without confidence we'll be in real danger of relegation. Even going to Bolton, a tough fixture, will look a lot easier with 4 or 6 points in the bag. 
  • Options
    Just heard a podcast with Neil Warnock and he states 80% of being a decent football manager is good man management. Knowing who needs an arm around the shoulder and who needs the kick up the backside.  
    He conceded having class footballers helped.
    Warnock was very impressed with Rarmani Edmonds-Green for the 10 or so games he played under him at Huddersfield; so much so that he let Reg have his last Rolo.
    I think Warnock is the last of the "80% man management" generation. 

That makes me happy about REG. He's looked good so far and I'm looking forward to seeing him play as an outside CB more as he's looked really good there. Mobile and good on the ball.
  • Options
    Going over previous NJ set ups and looking at our squad, I think he’ll line up in a diamond. The DM will be versatile to drop in and make a 3 allowing the FB’s to bomb on. 
                                   AMB / Isted
                           Thomas     Gillesphey
                                       REG
                              Watson/Camara

Ladapo       May

Reg was so much more effective as an outside CB & stepping in, wouldn’t be surprised to see him drop in on the outside of the central CB (in forward rotation). 
    Yeah I think this is very possible, except I wouldn't expect both Coventry and Dobbo as the two "shuttlers," I think one will be Bakinson and then the 10 will either be May or Watson. That means that one of Dobbo or Coventry could be dropped.
  • Options
    Absolutely no idea what formation we'll line up in, what players he'll pick, what tactics we'll use...

As the song goes, how we get there I don’t know, what we do there I don’t care, all I know is Charlton’s on the way…
  • Options
    Think the first goal is huge tomorrow, both teams have a soft under belly and reckon confidence will crash for either side after conceding.
  • Options
    So the new era begins and please just for once can this team make us proud again. Shame we are playing a team in play off form so I think the wait will continue. 1-0 Reading
  • Options
    Desperate for the win but I fear another narrow defeat. 2-1 Reading. So hope I am wrong.
  • Options
    edited February 9
    This is the moment we turn the corner on this season.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    The lowest footballing point in all our lifetimes and it’s going to get worse 
    can’t see a win , draw at best 
    I think we’ve been lower in the league a few years back, but this has certainly been an awful run. 
    Get worse? As it’s Jones’ first match in charge I sincerely hope (and believe maybe) that things will start improving over the next few weeks. With some tough fixtures coming up after the Lincoln game we might need to be patient however. 
    Whether Jones will prefer Edmonds-Green in defence over Ness, who is improving again, remains to be seen. Has REG played in defence for us yet btw? And Terry Thomas doesn't deserve to be dropped.
    Tenai might well make way for Ramsay who looks interesting. 
    We have been lower in the league a couple of seasons ago but that was early doors not at this stage of the season. Oohaah is right.
    Thanks Large. But I didn’t say he wasn’t right. 
    Nuance. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
                                   AMB / Isted
                           Thomas     Gillesphey
                                       REG
                              Watson/Camara

Ladapo       May

Yeah I think this is very possible, except I wouldn't expect both Coventry and Dobbo as the two "shuttlers," I think one will be Bakinson and then the 10 will either be May or Watson. That means that one of Dobbo or Coventry could be dropped.
    I like all these lineups and formations. The odd thing is that many of us have been watching and scrutinising our performances over the whole season, and he has to come in after a week and make the right choices. No easy task!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking forward to reading the match thread for the first time in ages. We may lose but I expect us to make a game of it. 
  • Options
    We’ve lost a few games that we deserved to draw and drawn some games that we deserved to win in the horrific run we’ve been on.

I would not at all be surprised if this weekend turns that on it’s head and we come away with all three points in spite of Reading being the better team for large periods of the game.
  • Options
    edited February 10
    My first away game of the season, in fact it's my first away game since Man U last Jan (Glory boy I hear you say ?). Going with @LargeAddick and Golfie Junior.....like we did for Man U 🙄.

Recently I've been predicting wins, but as they has not borne fruit I'm going for reverse psychology & predicting a defeat.

2-0. 
  • Options
    I said in the preview pre Derby, for Charlton to have a chance they must stop giving goals away, then someone, Gilliphrey, who was brought in to help correct that, decided he would have a go at being clown of the week. Derby only created a couple of chances after the goal, while we created very little, once again we need to stop that charity at the back and this against a side that will create more on their home turf than Derby did on ours. Form says home win, new manager bounce says draw. 
  • Options
    If Jones likes a high press I can see Kanu alongside May with Ladapo coming on in the last 25 minutes. I think the new full back from Harrogate will play for sure which will give us a bit of forward momentum and maybe give us a bit of a lopsided shape with a more defensive full back on the opposite side. 
  • Options
    edited February 10
    Reading would only be 15th and 4 points ahead of us without the deduction so they are not world beaters. Granted they are on a good run at the moment but so were we earlier in the season (and that was under Apples). This is winnable and with a proper and successful manager now in charge, surely we have the players to deliver. Key for me is getting the ball to May in the box and then he will score.

Going to this, my first game since Chuks’ return at Cheltenham in Jan 2022. COYR!!
  • Options
    TEL said:
    If Jones likes a high press I can see Kanu alongside May with Ladapo coming on in the last 25 minutes. I think the new full back from Harrogate will play for sure which will give us a bit of forward momentum and maybe give us a bit of a lopsided shape with a more defensive full back on the opposite side. 
    Based on performances recently DK definitely deserves to start. I think he’ll probably go for Ladapo still, just given that he’s a more senior striker and a recent signings. But if things don’t start to improve with Ladapo and soon then he needs to be relegated to the bench. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    TEL said:
    Based on performances recently DK definitely deserves to start. I think he’ll probably go for Ladapo still, just given that he’s a more senior striker and a recent signings. But if things don’t start to improve with Ladapo and soon then he needs to be relegated to the bench. 
    Though DK signed his contract extension after  Ladapo signed!
  • Options
    edited February 10
    Reading may be on a decent run results wise, but the stats show they’ve been lucky with their last few games.

Interestingly, their team is weaker than we thumped at the Valley.

As is so often the case, the first goal will be crucial. If we can get it, with all the positivity and the 3,000 addicks, I can see us really putting on a show. But if they get it, I can see their recent resilience being very hard to break down.