Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Reading vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 10th February 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    edited February 9
    Aneke back, scores off the bench, then 2 foots himself and out for season.
  • Options
    Big day for us.  

Great vibe, new players, players back, deadwood gone(for now), large away support and a new "upmarket" gaffer...

C'mon, you know what I am going to say?

• Options
    Really looking forward to this and I think we will win but with the proviso that the game finishes ! I suspect we might see the game stopped due to their supporters protests re the ownership
  • Options
    edited February 9
    redbuttle said:
    Reading won at Stevenage 1-0 last game,  yet somehow will 5 days coaching cafc are going to have a team that are organised, have each others backs and the fitness to go 100 minutes and score more goals than the opposition? Nathan Jones Magic dust would've to be potent.

This game is step 1 to the long and winding road, 16 steps to safety.
    A loss would be a big blow but not totally a surprise.
    A draw would be a good start with our poor away form. 
    A win would be the catalyst to the bright new dawn; let it be.
    Reading won due to a Stevenage own goal.

A worldie from 30 yards or an own goal Reading won at Stevenage 1-0 and claimed 3 points. 
    Stevenage are in a Play-off place and
    without the 4 point deduction Reading would be 15th and not 20th.
  • Options
    edited February 9
    AndyG said:
    Really looking forward to this and I think we will win but with the proviso that the game finishes ! I suspect we might see the game stopped due to their supporters protests re the ownership
    Jolly good because there’s a 3 point deduction hanging over their heads after the Port Vale abandonment 😈.
  • Options
    Although on the pitch Reading have improved i'd imagine it could get fairly toxic in the home end quite quickly. An early goal for us would be massive.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    The lowest footballing point in all our lifetimes and it’s going to get worse 
    can’t see a win , draw at best 

The club being touted for moving to Milton Keynes, the club almost going out of existence, the club moving to Selhurst, the Valley overgrown and derelict …these are low points in our lifetimes . A cyclical relegation scrap isn’t.
    Right be I think the important qualifier was lowest footballing point…
    This is the best squad of players I’ve ever seen at the Valley to find themselves in a relegation scrap they should be nowhere near and it’s a squad that if they get their act together under the right manager wouldn’t surprise me if they won every game between now and the end of the season. I don’t expect them to but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.
    I’d be pretty bloody surprised if Charlton won every match between now and the end of the season!
    It’s unlikely to happen but it wouldn’t be a surprise, it’s a new 16 game season and tomorrow is game 1 with a new manager to sweep away the negativity of the approach most of the squad and all the fans have had to contend with; and we have a player who scores for fun when he’s not having to win the ball in his own goal area and cross to himself to set up a chance. A bit of positivity from the Charlton fans will do wonders to help, because let’s face it, Appleton’s approach killed the atmosphere and that has had its own negative impact on the players.
    To win 16 games consecutive would be a surprise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 9
    I think we’ve been lower in the league a few years back, but this has certainly been an awful run. 
    Get worse? As it’s Jones’ first match in charge I sincerely hope (and believe maybe) that things will start improving over the next few weeks. With some tough fixtures coming up after the Lincoln game we might need to be patient however. 
    Whether Jones will prefer Edmonds-Green in defence over Ness, who is improving again, remains to be seen. Has REG played in defence for us yet btw? And Terry Thomas doesn't deserve to be dropped.
    Tenai might well make way for Ramsay who looks interesting. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    The Reading fan on Charlton Live said that the focus of the protests has moved away from getting matches called off (I think he said there was “little to no chance” of their fans trying to get the match abandoned). 
  • Options
    Game to be abandoned after pitch invasion with a minute of an additional 24 remaining, and with us 9-0 to the good. 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    Reading won at Stevenage 1-0 last game,  yet somehow will 5 days coaching cafc are going to have a team that are organised, have each others backs and the fitness to go 100 minutes and score more goals than the opposition? Nathan Jones Magic dust would've to be potent.

This game is step 1 to the long and winding road, 16 steps to safety.
    A loss would be a big blow but not totally a surprise.
    A draw would be a good start with our poor away form. 
    A win would be the catalyst to the bright new dawn; let it be.
    Reading won due to a Stevenage own goal.
    Own goal you say? The result of a possible defensive error?

Nah, we'll be fine ...
    Nice to see you are confident about a result lol.
  • Options
    Reading are playing in such a way that they will not be relegated. I hope we at least manage a draw but doubt we will win. Hope Isted is in goal
  • Options
    Nervous for this one but we can beat them as we showed at the Valley. 

Understand there on a run but there last 2 games they havent scored and walked away with 4 points! how's your luck!! 

Got good feeling we will nick something...1-0 Charlton. May.
  • Options
    Heart says a new era begins and NJ steers the team to a clean sheet and a 3-0 win. 

Head says we lose narrowly but see improvements across the entire pitch. 

Luckily I lost my marbles years ago
  • Options
    Absolutely buzzing for this, cannot beat the emotions of football when it feels this important.
  • Options
    Players need to step up from hereon.

No more jellyfishing around.
  • Options
    A tight draw 1-1 - May - looking forward to the atmosphere our 3k will create as much as the game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And I see we're playing away in red!  Must be a good sign 1-2.
  • Options
    Well, we took them apart at the Valley in, arguably, our best performance of the season. But, that seems a different era now with Louie Watson starting, Aneke running the show (before he was injured), Tyrese Campbell and Blackett-Taylor providing creative width and both May and Miles scoring flowing goals. That game was an anomaly though considering what we have done since. But this is a new era with Nathan Jones in charge and we have shown we can beat this team quite comfortably. 
    I do think we’ll get a clean sheet so I’m going 0-0 or 1-0 to Charlton. Let’s see how that works out though! 
  • Options
    Reading 1 - Charlton 0
  • Options
    3-0 Charlton, Ladapo with a brace
  • Options
    0-0 to us 
  • Options
    Four points minimum from the next two games are needed imo. Call me crazy, but I have a feeling we'll get six.

you are crazy.
  • Options
    Please Nathan Jones isn’t going to change things around in 5days. If he plays the two  new full backs it could just confuse things more. When was the last time we won on the road Wigan, I would expect things to be tighter overall but still come away with nothing.

Sorry if this is not what you wish to hear.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

The club being touted for moving to Milton Keynes, the club almost going out of existence, the club moving to Selhurst, the Valley overgrown and derelict …these are low points in our lifetimes . A cyclical relegation scrap isn’t.
    Right be I think the important qualifier was lowest footballing point…
    This is the best squad of players I’ve ever seen at the Valley to find themselves in a relegation scrap they should be nowhere near and it’s a squad that if they get their act together under the right manager wouldn’t surprise me if they won every game between now and the end of the season. I don’t expect them to but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.

This has to be right up there with craziest posts in the history of CharltonLife, which considering this includes such wonders as my Patel / tape measure fiasco - is saying something.