Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD : Reading Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 10th February 2024 :KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    The hope I had at the start of the game is waning
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Bakinson looking wasteful.
    Disagree. He's trying things even if they aren't coming off. He's one of the few trying to male things happen.
     I like him but if he was any other midfielder wasting all of these passes, he'd be getting torn a new one. 
  • Options
    1. 28'

Post update

Foul by Tyler Bindon (Reading).

2. 28'

Post update

Tayo Edun (Charlton Athletic) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

• Options
    supaclive said:
    I don't think Barkinson is up to it.   I'd much rather Dobson in there with Coventry and Louie Watson.... just saying.....

He gets about the pitch but his distribution and ability on the ball is simply not good enough.
     Today I agree, however in general he offers something different to the others. 
  • Options
    SSN commentator at our game
  • Options
    edited February 10
    Bit early I know but Alfie really needs some support up top, Freddie just looks either slow or not interested, Kanu would add some pace up top and a foil for Alfie...
  • Options
    1. 29'

Post update

Andy Yiadom (Reading) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

2. 29'

Post update

Foul by Tyreeq Bakinson (Charlton Athletic).

• Options
    edited February 10
    The hope I had at the start of the game is waning
    Do that at FT if we win.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    I don't think Barkinson is up to it.   I'd much rather Dobson in there with Coventry and Louie Watson.... just saying.....

He gets about the pitch but his distribution and ability on the ball is simply not good enough.
    Disagree. We haven't had a proper box to box midfielder since Gallagher. We tried Gilbey but he was useless. We've missed that running and workmate in midfield. It's shown. He may not have the quality on the ball that others do but he dies what Dobbo and Cov cant/don't do. Guarantee we're worse without him in that role.
  • Options
    Ladapo massively needs to improve the hold up play. I agree the defence this season is error prone but they just don’t get a let. Ball is constantly coming back in at pace 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still so sloppy
  • Options
    These new signings haven't improved us. Ladapo still so far off the pace! 
  • Options

Untidy this from the Addicks. T. Watson and Jones both with uncomfortable moments. Then out of nothing May is in one one one but a last ditch challenge comes in before he gets the shot off.
  • Options
    May you gotta hit that first time!!
  • Options
    Why did May take so long to hit it!?
  • Options
    Oh dear, Alfie should have put us 1-0, just hit it first time Alfie..
  • Options
    edited February 10
    Arrragghhhh 

Lovely through ball from Louie, and, fair play a great covering block from the reading player to rob May of a chance.
  • Options
    Oh Alfie... Should have pulled the trigger sooner

Great ball from Louie Watson
  • Options
    Looks bereft of confidence at the moment, May
  • Options
    Ahhh Alf should have done better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    May should have hit that. Lack of confidence showing, fortunately no lack of desire.
  • Options
    alfie got to score ther
  • Options
    Started nicely, but normal service has been resumed. 

Ladapo - nope, Edun - nope, and both Watson are borderline. 
  • Options
    EVERYONE gets Charltonised!
  • Options
    edited February 10
    May has to shoot earlier there. Wasted chance from the exact person you want to get that opportunity. We’ve got into some god areas but been very wasteful with our final pass or shot. 
  • Options
    We are losing this in the middle of the pitch
  • Options
    Jones also looking a lot better in the centre of the back 3 rather than on the right. Another move that should have been obvious but wasn't done.
  • Options
    F/wood winning 0-1
  • Options
    Apart from the ball for May’s shot, I can’t remember the last time the ball was touched by two Charlton players in a row.

Just don’t seem able to hold on to the ball at all.
  • Options
    After a pretty bright start we have regressed to a team that is shaky defensively and not clear what we're supposed to be doing in possession.

I don't think the board realized the risk in making so many changes in January. This is a starting XI that has never started together and I don't think has played together. And it shows. There's not a great understanding of what to do in possession or defensively.

We have to start playing through Coventry and Watson. This is a team that when it had midfield of Dobbo, Fraser, and CC/LW was strong in possession. And keeping the ball is now a huge weak spot which makes us less likely to score goals and puts our defense under more pressure. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!