Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Bolton Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 17th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Reading v Port Vale on Tuesday night 20th Feb, Wigan v Cheltenham on Friday 23rd Feb, if both the away sides win, we'll go into the Pompey game in the bottom four (and Port Vale//Cheltenham will still have games in hand on us). Whilst I am of the 'ever so slightly' glass half full view (based on recent improved performances), realism kicks in and I think,  oh shit, it just seems to be getting worse!

I think nothing less than a win against Pompey is really what we have got to be aiming for.
    Highly likely to get worse... before it gets better
  • Options
    It's the nagging feeling that as a football club, we have an unerring ability to shoot ourselves in the foot and let opportunity slip from our dispairing grasp.  It' a very Charlton thing to do.

I am sure this new fella will have us more prepared and at it,  but it's "the curse I tell ye!"
  • Options
    Moore will improve Port Vale .. really ? .. like all managers at this level his record is very mixed and he is gradually managing lower and lower ranked clubs .. as ever we will see, and I mean the man no animosity when I say I hope he fails miserably if it comes to a case of 'us or them'
  • Options
    Rob said:
    JamesSeed said:
    March Fixtures

Away:             Recent form
    Northampton LLDLW  4PTS
    Cheltenham   LLWWW 9PTS
    Fleetwood      WWLDL 7PTS
    Exeter            LWWLL  6PTS

Home:
    Carlisle           LLLLL   0PTS
    Wigan             LWLLW 6PTS

Charlton         DLLDD 3PTS
    That shows the importance of getting a win soon. We’ve only lost 2 games out of 5, like two of the other teams, but we have the lowest points return of anyone here. 
    This.

We need to start picking up wins NOW. No free hits (Reading away as it was Jones's first match, Bolton because we were away and they are top 6, ditto Derby). 

I remember all too well our first season in the Premier League. Beat W Ham 4-0 and everyone thought job done. Beat a relegation rival & their final game is away at Man U. Guess what.....they won that one !

If we dont pick up a win against either Pompey or Derby it will leave us needing to win most of our matches in March. But what we'll get is a few draws with people saying " but we still have 6 games to go...."

@Sethplum was ridiculed on here earlier in the season when he kept coming out with his "must win" games because he was looking at having to win your home games & draw away (4 points every 2 games) to get autos and we were slipping behind the pace.

Soon every match in March will be a must win game. The fact we haven't won in 15 & suddenly we'll need to win 5 in 11 (after our next 2) doesn't seem to bother some on here. Well, it bothers me.

Additionally we have won 1 away game all season. ONE.

Out of our 6 games in March, 4 of them are away. Nothing we have seen this season to date suggests we will win the required amount from these. Even our very small sample of NJ games (as promising as peformances have been) - includes a total shocker at Reading. And so it is reasonable to say we need a huge improvement in March.

• Options
    Not a fan of the YouTuber Thogden, but interesting to see the game from Bolton perspective, and he was next to our fans. 

• Options
    Not a fan of the YouTuber Thogden, but interesting to see the game from Bolton perspective, and he was next to our fans. 

Think @Braziliance needs to show them how it's done, terrible video, and those bloody adverts and stupid chanting stuff, what was that all about...Nah!
  • Options

Thogden has probably made a rake of dough, travelled around Europe foc and other trimmings.
    He dramas things up badly with his Lesley Ash lips, an acquired taste.
  • Options

I remember all too well our first season in the Premier League. Beat W Ham 4-0 and everyone thought job done. Beat a relegation rival & their final game is away at Man U. Guess what.....they won that one !

Not everyone , I didn't fancy our chances at all even after we'd beaten west ham , they had Curbishley we had Pardew .... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 19
    JamesSeed said:
    March Fixtures

Away:             Recent form
    Northampton LLDLW  4PTS
    Cheltenham   LLWWW 9PTS
    Fleetwood      WWLDL 7PTS
    Exeter            LWWLL  6PTS

Home:
    Carlisle           LLLLL   0PTS
    Wigan             LWLLW 6PTS

Charlton         DLLDD 3PTS
    Just shows what’s possible in this league no matter how bad you’ve been this season (unless you’re us for now, or Carlisle).

I don’t see us going without some wins in the remaining games just because we haven’t won since November. At some point we’ll win. Same with clean sheets. Just hope we get enough. If they keep the effort up we have the ability to do it.
  • Options
    edited February 19
    Chunes said:
    If I'd been offered 2 points out of an available 9 from the games against Reading, Lincoln & Bolton...  I would've hoped we'd have done a touch better than that, being honest. 

That's not a slight against Jones who is doing a good job, but just to say we need more than performances. 
    I kind of get that when you look at the clubs we’re playing. Reading are in all kinds of trouble off the pitch and Lincoln are…Lincoln, a decent sized League One club. 
    Look deeper than that and at the times we played them both were on really good runs. We weren’t. 
    Reading had lost 1/11 - won 4, drawn 6. 
    Lincoln hadn’t lost in 5 - won 2, drawn 3, 3 clean sheets, conceded 2.
    Then we went to Bolton, best defence in the league. 
    We’d not won in 14! 5/42 points! 
    We’re building momentum through an increase in structural understanding, players believe in what NJ is doing, they are committing to it, putting effort into it and you can see the confidence starting to grow. 
    Results will come as a consequence of the above and more importantly we’ll get more of them and end up away from the drop zone. 
    I get what you're saying, but also, it's league one and any team is beatable on the day. You just have to be better. And we'll face similarly tough opponents in the next 13 games. Yeah there are some 'easier games' coming but in this season and previous seasons we've looked at a run of so-called easier games and thought we'll pick up points there, and then haven't. There was a run of those recently that ended with us in 18th. 

I'm just saying in our difficult situation, performances don't mean anything unless they quickly turn into points. 
  • Options
    edited February 19
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Just chuckling at this well Moore will sort out PV, and Cheltenham are wonderful stuff
    The fact they've closed the gap between us and them by 7 points in the last 3 games means Cheltenham, 1 point behind with 2 games in hand,  are well involved in the survival of the shittest
    So, too much about the others, and not about ourselves. If Moore improves PV then great, but Jones will do similar for us, we're already seeing improvements, and I'm not going to do the professional chicken licken stuff that some are indulging in 

Without sounding critical, we have still not won in three games under him, with Portsmouth and Derby coming up it could quite easily turn into five.

Get on message. He's the saviour. Appleton was Satan. Everything's OK.

I'll give the love-in till April.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    If I'd been offered 2 points out of an available 9 from the games against Reading, Lincoln & Bolton...  I would've hoped we'd have done a touch better than that, being honest. 

That's not a slight against Jones who is doing a good job, but just to say we need more than performances. 
    I kind of get that when you look at the clubs we’re playing. Reading are in all kinds of trouble off the pitch and Lincoln are…Lincoln, a decent sized League One club. 
    Look deeper than that and at the times we played them both were on really good runs. We weren’t. 
    We’re building momentum through an increase in structural understanding, players believe in what NJ is doing, they are committing to it, putting effort into it and you can see the confidence starting to grow. 
    Results will come as a consequence of the above and more importantly we’ll get more of them and end up away from the drop zone. 
    I get what you're saying, but also, it's league one and any team is beatable on the day. You just have to be better. And we'll face similarly tough opponents in the next 13 games. Yeah there are some 'easier games' coming but in this season and previous seasons we've looked at a run of so-called easier games and thought we'll pick up points there, and then haven't. There was a run of those recently that ended with us in 18th. 

I'm just saying in our difficult situation, performances don't mean anything unless they quickly turn into points. 
    The building of performance each week is the best thing and if we keep those levels of improvement up it’s only a matter of time until we win some games against weaker opposition.
    Everything is resting on that 'if'. If we don't, we're down. 
  • Options
    edited February 20
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

The building of performance each week is the best thing and if we keep those levels of improvement up it’s only a matter of time until we win some games against weaker opposition.
    Everything is resting on that 'if'. If we don't, we're down. 
    Indeed. Consistency will be key and we've not won consecutive games in the league this season, our best run of results achieved whilst coached by a man vilified for his ineptitude, so there is renewed optimism with him gone and Jones in.

Few forecast that we'd be duking it out with the likes of Port Vale near the foot of the table after we beat Reading 4-0 at home earlier in the season, so we must beware of complacency against those teams around us who we ought to have enough to beat. They'll all be fighting, and unless we're at it and can shore up our defence, we won't get the positive results we need from those games.

The hour that is darkest before the dawn may also be later than some think given our need to average at least a point a game from here on in.
  • Options
    I’m more hopeful about it than I was a couple of weeks ago at least. Don’t think anyone is getting carried away at this stage.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 20
    I think the mistake at this stage of the season is to look downwards, we need to look at the teams above us who we are going to catch. In all honesty, we are too good to go down. We have options in defence, midfield and attack (we haven't always this season) and if that remains, I think we will save ourselves. I think it is possible we will get into the bottom four but we will get out again.
  • Options
    Although I will be looking at other teams results and the league table frantically each week, I don’t think Jones will. 

His approach will be to ignore what’s going on around us, focus on ourselves and get another 17 points at least. 

When looking at it that way and ignoring the league table, we should be able to win 5 games and get 2 draws from those remaining fixtures. We might need to learn how to win an away game though 
  • Options

Think @Braziliance needs to show them how it's done, terrible video, and those bloody adverts and stupid chanting stuff, what was that all about...Nah!
    Haha thanks, although I'm hardly a vlogger anymore, I am now looking to miss 3 bloody games in a row 😂 rough one. 

I don't mind Thogden, he's annoying but he's only 22 and I find most vloggers (myself included annoying) as that's the nature of the videos. He's a fairly enthusiastic lad who has done well for himself, must have made a decent amount of money. 

Thought it was a bit harsh the bloke in the background giving him the middle fingers. Seems to be a bit of a theme atm where when a clubs resident vlogger gets some popularity, they seem to get octrazied a bit. 

I appreciate the mention though mate 👍🏻 
  • Options
    edited February 20
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

The promising thing is that with each match, the performance levels have been better each time. Reading was really bad, Lincoln started poor and got better as the game progressed and Bolton was another step in the right direction.

Hmmmm. The problem is that there only two or three team weaker than us though. It’s obvious if one removes the Nathan Jones (Mr Animated) smiley face with rosy glasses mask.

Edit: Sorry. Maybe NJ will turn it around but I’m not convinced. What happened to the supposedly given manager bounce? 2 points is what.

I hope all you NJ love-in crew are right but you often seem to be forgetting that our players got us in the shit and it’s odd to so vehemently believe that in March they will be beating several of our fellow strugglers.
    Glad you weren’t appointed manager! We may as well not bother showing up.
  • Options
    I think the mistake at this stage of the season is to look downwards, we need to look at the teams above us who we are going to catch. In all honesty, we are too good to go down. We have options in defence, midfield and attack (we haven't always this season) and if that remains, I think we will save ourselves. I think it is possible we will get into the bottom four but we will get out again.
    Well there's not much to look at is there 😉
  • Options
    Does anyone know when the full match replay is likely v to be on the OS? 

I was out watching Tobi Sho-Silva at Maidenhead on Saturday and it feels like I've been waiting for ever to watch the replay!