Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Bolton Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 17th February 2024 | KO 15:00

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    I deleted because the personal abuse towards you was OTT and not wanted, so removed the whole chain related to it. To draw a line, I thought that would be clear. But you’ve just brought it up again…

Diddums indeed. There’s nothing I love doing more at 11.30 on a Sunday night than editing stupid posts from people old enough to be grandparents 

Sorry to be pedantic, but even a statement about grandparents can create a healthy debate in these parts. A girl I went to school with got pregnant in her final year, making her mum a granny at 29! 

Back on topic, I value the debate and sometimes the banter is a bit choice, but generally it's all fair and fun. 

If we all agreed that Jones was the new messiah, what would we have to debate. History tells us that every player and manager eventually leaves, for one reason or another, good or bad, and the cycle goes on.

What IS great about this site is when one of our own is in the worst of places, the wagons circle with great efficiency, never a divide in those times. 

One things for sure, I'd put money on CL lasting longer than any player or manager.

Now then back to formations and will NJ keep us up. 
  • Options
    ‘All you NJ love in crew…’

bloody hell 
    Don’t think he’s a NJ fan.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 20
    Not so long ago the focus was on Andy Scott's poor recruitment. We still have the same players, but Jones has improved team performance.  He's already raised expectations from a couple of weeks ago when we were preparing for 3 pointless games, and a likely relegation. 
    Not sure of your point(pwr rest of thread, so maybe misunderstanding) - Charlton are not out of the woods. Scott’s ineptness & poor decision making has put Charlton in this perilous position. 

I want the footballing side & player decisions with Nathan Jones & Paul Hart & Scott & SMT as far away as possible from footballing decisions.

I do really like what I see of Nathan Jones’  energy &!positive mindset. Its given Charlton a real chance of rising up the table. 
  • Options
    Not so long ago the focus was on Andy Scott's poor recruitment. We still have the same players, but Jones has improved team performance.  He's already raised expectations from a couple of weeks ago when we were preparing for 3 pointless games, and a likely relegation. 
    Recruitment was still poor. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    If I'd been offered 2 points out of an available 9 from the games against Reading, Lincoln & Bolton...  I would've hoped we'd have done a touch better than that, being honest. 

That's not a slight against Jones who is doing a good job, but just to say we need more than performances. 
    I kind of get that when you look at the clubs we’re playing. Reading are in all kinds of trouble off the pitch and Lincoln are…Lincoln, a decent sized League One club. 
    Look deeper than that and at the times we played them both were on really good runs. We weren’t. 
    Reading had lost 1/11 - won 4, drawn 6. 
    Lincoln hadn’t lost in 5 - won 2, drawn 3, 3 clean sheets, conceded 2.
    Then we went to Bolton, best defence in the league. 
    We’d not won in 14! 5/42 points! 
    We’re building momentum through an increase in structural understanding, players believe in what NJ is doing, they are committing to it, putting effort into it and you can see the confidence starting to grow. 
    Results will come as a consequence of the above and more importantly we’ll get more of them and end up away from the drop zone. 
    I get what you're saying, but also, it's league one and any team is beatable on the day. You just have to be better. And we'll face similarly tough opponents in the next 13 games. Yeah there are some 'easier games' coming but in this season and previous seasons we've looked at a run of so-called easier games and thought we'll pick up points there, and then haven't. There was a run of those recently that ended with us in 18th. 

I'm just saying in our difficult situation, performances don't mean anything unless they quickly turn into points. 
    The promising thing is that with each match, the performance levels have been better each time. Reading was really bad, Lincoln started poor and got better as the game progressed and Bolton was another step in the right direction.

The building of performance each week is the best thing and if we keep those levels of improvement up it’s only a matter of time until we win some games against weaker opposition.
    Hmmmm. The problem is that there only two or three team weaker than us though. It’s obvious if one removes the Nathan Jones (Mr Animated) smiley face with rosy glasses mask.

Edit: Sorry. Maybe NJ will turn it around but I’m not convinced. What happened to the supposedly given manager bounce? 2 points is what.

I hope all you NJ love-in crew are right but you often seem to be forgetting that our players got us in the shit and it’s odd to so vehemently believe that in March they will be beating several of our fellow strugglers.
    May I point out that we recruited well in January so not odd at all.

If you do not believe that new players, formation and motivation can change anything I assume you would have been content for Apples to continue as your comments suggest that you don’t believe a new manager can bring about change.
  • Options
    Have you seen our last five results and league position?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    If we stay up and a decent number of the January signings play a big part then you could argue we recruited well.
  • Options
    It's been an interesting discussion, but i think we're all agreed now.

- We're staying up comfortably this season.
    - Nathan Jones IS the Messiah.
    - HMS Piss the League launches from Greenwich Pier, August 2024.
  • Options

I've seen what NJ inherited, and if we go down I know where the blame lies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I've seen what NJ inherited, and if we go down I know where the blame lies.
    Agree...
    If we'd had Nathan Jones in 2 months ago, we wouldn't be in the shite we are currently trying to dig ourselves out of, that's a given...
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Croydon said:
    If we stay up and a decent number of the January signings play a big part then you could argue we recruited well.
    It's genuinely an interesting argument because whilst the likes of Small and Ramsay have potential and Gillesphey and REG at least give us numbers if not a clear upgrade, how much of the improvement is actually down to the quality of players versus the quality of coaching from Jones.

To use Small as an example, he looks like a decent attacking FB but a dullard like Appleton would probably have played him with shackles on or stifled his natural instincts
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    If I'd been offered 2 points out of an available 9 from the games against Reading, Lincoln & Bolton...  I would've hoped we'd have done a touch better than that, being honest. 

That's not a slight against Jones who is doing a good job, but just to say we need more than performances. 
    I kind of get that when you look at the clubs we’re playing. Reading are in all kinds of trouble off the pitch and Lincoln are…Lincoln, a decent sized League One club. 
    Look deeper than that and at the times we played them both were on really good runs. We weren’t. 
    We’re building momentum through an increase in structural understanding, players believe in what NJ is doing, they are committing to it, putting effort into it and you can see the confidence starting to grow. 
    Results will come as a consequence of the above and more importantly we’ll get more of them and end up away from the drop zone. 
    I get what you're saying, but also, it's league one and any team is beatable on the day. You just have to be better. And we'll face similarly tough opponents in the next 13 games. Yeah there are some 'easier games' coming but in this season and previous seasons we've looked at a run of so-called easier games and thought we'll pick up points there, and then haven't. There was a run of those recently that ended with us in 18th. 

I'm just saying in our difficult situation, performances don't mean anything unless they quickly turn into points. 
    The promising thing is that with each match, the performance levels have been better each time. Reading was really bad, Lincoln started poor and got better as the game progressed and Bolton was another step in the right direction.

The building of performance each week is the best thing and if we keep those levels of improvement up it’s only a matter of time until we win some games against weaker opposition.
    Hmmmm. The problem is that there only two or three team weaker than us though. It’s obvious if one removes the Nathan Jones (Mr Animated) smiley face with rosy glasses mask.

Edit: Sorry. Maybe NJ will turn it around but I’m not convinced. What happened to the supposedly given manager bounce? 2 points is what.

I hope all you NJ love-in crew are right but you often seem to be forgetting that our players got us in the shit and it’s odd to so vehemently believe that in March they will be beating several of our fellow strugglers.

If you do not believe that new players, formation and motivation can change anything I assume you would have been content for Apples to continue as your comments suggest that you don’t believe a new manager can bring about change.
    Redrobo said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Not if the change as as regular or erratic, no.

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Although I will be looking at other teams results and the league table frantically each week, I don’t think Jones will. 

His approach will be to ignore what’s going on around us, focus on ourselves and get another 17 points at least. 

When looking at it that way and ignoring the league table, we should be able to win 5 games and get 2 draws from those remaining fixtures. We might need to learn how to win an away game though 
    So most of us are in agreement that 50 points should be safe to staying in Division One.

17 points for us is along way.

Wigan need 10 points
    Exeter need 11 points
    Wycombe, Reading,Cambridge, Burton require 12 points each.
    Shrewsbury 15 points.

It looks a lot easier for those clubs to reach 50 points than us and we still have to stay above Cheltenham and Port Vale to survive.

Interesting certainly, can we gain enough points it’s in our players hands to get us out of trouble.  
    Personally I think it’s too much to ask .
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Although I will be looking at other teams results and the league table frantically each week, I don’t think Jones will. 

His approach will be to ignore what’s going on around us, focus on ourselves and get another 17 points at least. 

When looking at it that way and ignoring the league table, we should be able to win 5 games and get 2 draws from those remaining fixtures. We might need to learn how to win an away game though 
    So most of us are in agreement that 50 points should be safe to staying in Division One.

17 points for us is along way.

Wigan need 10 points
    Exeter need 11 points
    Wycombe, Reading,Cambridge, Burton require 12 points each.
    Shrewsbury 15 points.

It looks a lot easier for those clubs to reach 50 points than us and we still have to stay above Cheltenham and Port Vale to survive.

Interesting certainly, can we gain enough points it’s in our players hands to get us out of trouble.  
    Personally I think it’s too much to ask .
    Good points. 
    The one thing that helps us is we play Wigan, Exeter, Wycombe, Cambridge & Shrewsbury.

They all pretty much play each other, Burton, Cheltenham, Port Vale and have games against Bolton, Derby, Barnsley & Peterborough.

Cambridge could be dragged back towards us over the next few weeks with their run, Peterborough, Stevenage, Bolton, Northampton & Lincoln
  • Options
    5 wins and 4 draws takes us to 52 points. No team this century has yet been relegated from League One with more than 51 points. So 5 wins and 4 draws is the target. We have a new manager. We have a mostly fit squad. And we have a 13 game mini season ahead of us. We need something positive form 9 of those games. Doesn't matter when they come (can be the last 9 matches of the season if it has to be). Doesn't matter what form other teams are in right now. Doesn't matter what our season has been like up to now. That's all we need to worry about and focus on.

An unexpected win on Saturday would be a jump start to towards that goal.