Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Bolton Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 17th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Interesting comments underneath as well. Sack the manager, no chance of automatic promotion, shit ref, head injury (it wasnt), etc, etc. Not one person giving us any credit at all.

Standard football fare.
    They are from Bolton, it’s easy to see them getting confused between their head and their arse to be fair
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Very good point, but there 1st and 3rd goals so soft., the 2nd goal was a touch of class. 

Really pleased for Kanu, not sure we really need to bring anymore forward in during the summer, we have enough in the building, just need to get them fit! 

Will need to sign Ladapo permanently or get a replacement. 

Realistically we will probably have to sell and replace Leaburn unless we can get him to sign a new contract 
  • Options
    I also was dubious about the NJ appointment, glad that I'm wrong. 
    A pity about a couple of our yellow cards as it seems that they might have been for kicking the ball away after a foul.
    The bloke hasn’t even won a game yet. Can we please wait a while before declaring Jones the new messiah? Like, until he’s actually shown he can get us winning consistently over an extended period (months not weeks). 

Just look at the narrative around Appleton after a few matches (finally we’ve got a proper manager etc.). 

It’s far too early to make any real assessment of NJ.
    Where did you read that? 🤣 
  • Options
    Our system requires effective wing backs. Small scored one and was heavily involved in another. Ramsey looked promising in the week. Maybe we have found the effective wing backs to help make it work. They certainly are not Edun or Watson IMO.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Very good point, but there 1st and 3rd goals so soft., the 2nd goal was a touch of class. 

Really pleased for Kanu, not sure we really need to bring anymore forward in during the summer, we have enough in the building, just need to get them fit! 

Will need to sign Ladapo permanently or get a replacement. 

Realistically we will probably have to sell and replace Leaburn unless we can get him to sign a new contract 
    What would Leaburn’s value look like with his injury record? 
  • Options
    I only saw the first half on the stream, but that was a very different performance than I’d seen for months. They actually looked like a team. 

Still defensively frail as a team - still see players switching off. Their first goal was off the second of two throw ins - on the first, Watson turned his back on the players and was ambling back towards our box, while they took it quickly. 

When the notification popped up they had equalized so early in the second half, I was sure we’d lose it. Getting a point was a bonus in my opinion, and if we only get a point from the next two, I’ll be pretty happy as long as the performances keep improving. That should set us up with a decent chance on the run in. 
  • Options
    Our system requires effective wing backs. Small scored one and was heavily involved in another. Ramsey looked promising in the week. Maybe we have found the effective wing backs to help make it work. They certainly are not Edun or Watson IMO.
    Shame we seem to have broken Ramsey already…
  • Options
    robroy said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I always watch the feed (in the Netherlands), 
    Wow, that's a coincidence. I also am in the Netherlands for all away matches. Maybe we should meet up for a beer next time?  :D
    so do I
    I was in Belgium for the match yesterday, will be in Brazil for Saturday. 

Edit: the country, not Alan. 
    So will I, not Alan!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 19
    Uboat said:
    DOUCHER said:
    has set up a big match feel for next saturday - expect a great atmosphere and if we can hang in there for 60 minutes, i expect us to suck the ball and chucks into the back of the net.
    They are a different Pompey side to the one we are used to meeting and we are a very different Charlton side. Cant see past a home defeat by 2 or 3 goals. 
    Oh look at me everyone…….attention seeking twat. 🤨

No need for that. He’s a just a doom-embracing miserable old fucker. 
    I used to launch at Golfie on here - his constant negativity really got to me - now, sod him - I couldn’t live life like he does - I have no doubt it’s not just CAFC he revels in being negative about - could you imagine having a beer with him ??? 

Simply awful IMO - my best mate (who is also CAFC) - we both played decent level of football (him more so than me) - we are pragagmatic, and know the game 

What we saw yesterday was a team which AT LAST put the effort in, and got a point, when under Appleshit, we would have got hammered 

Jones is - IMO - already stamping his ‘vision’ on the team - next stop is skill and quality - but for now, grind it the fuck out, and survive in League Shit 

We are seeing the roots of good things - someone tell me the last time we scored 3 goals away ……
  • Options
    edited February 19
    Uboat said:
    DOUCHER said:
    has set up a big match feel for next saturday - expect a great atmosphere and if we can hang in there for 60 minutes, i expect us to suck the ball and chucks into the back of the net.
    They are a different Pompey side to the one we are used to meeting and we are a very different Charlton side. Cant see past a home defeat by 2 or 3 goals. 

I used to launch at Golfie on here - his constant negativity really got to me - now, sod him - I couldn’t live life like he does - I have no doubt it’s not just CAFC he revels in being negative about - could you imagine having a beer with him ??? 

Simply awful IMO - my best mate (who is also CAFC) - we both played decent level of football (him more so than me) - we are pragagmatic, and know the game 

What we saw yesterday was a team which AT LAST put the effort in, and got a point, when under Appleshit, we would have got hammered 

Jones is - IMO - already stamping his ‘vision’ on the team - next stop is skill and quality - but for now, grind it the fuck out, and survive in League Shit 

We are seeing the roots of good things - someone tell me the last time we scored 3 goals away ……
    We scored 3 at Port Vale last month. 
  • Options
    edited February 18
    Uboat said:
    DOUCHER said:

Port Vale January 3-3
    Wigan 31st October last year, and the last away win 2-3
  • Options
    hezzla said:
    A great and unexpected point, and a dogged performance to go with it.  Strangely for a 3-3 I was more impressed with our defensive work than our forward play... thought we did a great job restricting a good Bolton team to very little (4 shots on target, 1.15 XG total)... one of those days where things seemed to just fly in (at both ends, for once).

Only criticism would be that we looked very tired after 60 mins (perhaps no surprise after 3 games in 8 days), and with all our midfielders on bookings the changes could've come sooner.  Excited to see how they handle Pompey after a week's recovery.
    “Looked very tired after 60 mins?”
    Really……wasn’t the case from where I was sitting. 🤔
  • Options
    Just my opinion, but I think some of the recent posts on Golfie have gone past the line of the decency we are used to on this platform.

It’s a stressful time and nobody is totally happy with how things have gone this season, but we don’t get personal on here.

Regardless of what we THINK is going to happen, we all WANT the same thing.
    Belinda Carlisle.
    We dream the same dream!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Just my opinion, but I think some of the recent posts on Golfie have gone past the line of the decency we are used to on this platform.

It’s a stressful time and nobody is totally happy with how things have gone this season, but we don’t get personal on here.

Belinda Carlisle.
    We dream the same dream!
    It’s the new SISS.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    At least that’s progress from the 4-1 defeat you predicted yesterday if we played 3-5-2/5-3-2.
    I also predicted a 2-0 win if we went with a formation that had a flat back 4, so we'll never know.

What i do know is that we are 3 games into Nathan Jones' reign & we are yet to win a game. I like him, and he is miles better than Appleton or Holden but to say (as many posters have said since 5pm yesterday) that we are going to stay up is rather optimistic I would say.
     Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism from time to time. 👍
  • Options
    edited February 18
    Uboat said:
    DOUCHER said:

You’d miss him if he stopped posting. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Belinda Carlisle.
    We dream the same dream!

Heaven is a place.............in League 1
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    DOUCHER said:

Ignore the idiot - we could win Champions League final, and he would still have something negative to say 

Never ever ever want to meet this knob 

Couldn't give a shit what you or anyone else on here thinks about me.

What I do give a shit about are posts being deleted (by the Mods?) when I reply to abuse.

Seem someone took their ball home with them. Or reported me. Ah diddums  
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    I also was dubious about the NJ appointment, glad that I'm wrong.
    A pity about a couple of our yellow cards as it seems that they might have been for kicking the ball away after a foul.
    I'm surprised that 3 games without a win has convinced you to change your mind.

It was a much improved competitive performance against a top side, but 2 points out of a possible 9 isn't the sort of new manager bounce that will keep us up. We might survive averaging a point a game, we won't with anything less. All to do and I'm far from convinced we'll have the good fortune with injuries that we need.

Still, if Jones gets a free pass from the fans for the rest of this season, which I hope he does, then that can only help in the upcoming important games.

Think we'll beat Pompey though regardless of form. 
    2 unbeaten games though.
    After starting badly under Holden, even the hapless Appleton managed to go  6 unbeaten in the league when he first came in, winning 3 of them. I'm convinced the belief that he could reproduce that sort of form transformation in January is why he was kept on so long as things got progressively worse before ending so badly. 

Positive performances are good. Wins are better. I'm reserving judgement on Jones for now, much as I did with Appleton early on.
  • Options
    Great effort by us on Saturday, need a win at home now.4 or more points from Bolton Portsmouth and Derby would be amazing.
    This group needs a lift, and the last two results should have given them that for next weekend.
    Regardless of the games in hand that Cheltenham and Port Vale have, March is a huge opportunity for us.
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Great effort by us on Saturday, need a win at home now.4 or more points from Bolton Portsmouth and Derby would be amazing.
    This group needs a lift, and the last two results should have given them that for next weekend.
    Regardless of the games in hand that Cheltenham and Port Vale have, March is a huge opportunity for us.
    March is probably a harder month than February.