Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cheltenham Town v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 5th March 2024 | Match Preview, Predictions & News

Cheltenham Town v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 5th March 2024 - Kick-Off: 19:45

Referee
Scott Jackson - never officiated a Charlton game before. Having worked his way up the leagues, this is likely to be Jackson's highest profile fixture to date. Other fixtures at this level have included Bristol Rovers and Exeter City, both at home against Barnsley earlier on in the season.

Introduction
What looks like probably my last preview of the season, it would only be right that another individual error cost up 3 crucial points at the weekend, one of the few things you can really say that sums up our season. The amount of goals we have conceded through huge individual errors is a concern, but it's something that I am sure will become far less frequent under Nathan Jones. The performance on the whole at Northampton was controlled, to be honest, I thought the Cobblers were cobblers, and Alfie May came close on more than one occasion to extend our lead after starboy Karoy Anderson continued his fine run of form by scoring two in two. As it is though, we currently sit 18th and 4 points above the drop zone. Next up we travel to the club sitting just in it, Cheltenham Town.

Opposition
Stadium: Whaddon Road
Manager: Darrell Clarke
Nickname(s): The Robins
Previous result: A 0-0 draw at home with Burton Albion. Their line up was:
Southwood
Smith - Davies - Bradbury
Long - Sercombe - Pett - Kinsella - Ferry
Taylor - Lloyd

Since Darrell Clarke took over at the end of September, Cheltenham have won a third of their games and been competitive at home against some of the better sides in the division. Wins against Portsmouth, Oxford, and Blackpool have been supported with draws against Derby and Reading. Straight away, this is a fixture that not only is an important and tough game because of both clubs league positions, but Clarke has made Whaddon Road a difficult place to go and pick up points for the away side.

The January window saw The Robins lose Will Goodwin to Oxford United, the striker scored their goal against us at The Valley in November in our 2-1 win, the last win at The Valley, and second to last win after our recent victory in Derbyshire last week. However, Clarke signed a couple of players he's worked with previously, one being Matty Taylor in the hope that the experienced striker would score enough goals to keep them up - and it's been a productive start to life with 4 in 7. He's definitely going to be a player that we have to keep an eye on and keep quiet. The other Liam Kinsella. The combative midfielder is son of Mark, so will know all about his father's connections with Charlton and will be looking to make an impact himself on Tuesday evening. Liam though, has had most of his success at Walsall where he won two player of the season awards; most of his career has been played at the bottom half of League One or in League Two.

In my opinion, the thing that provides Cheltenham with a chance of staying up is experience. Curtis Davies, Liam Sercombe, and Matty Taylor through their spine alongside a good manager at the bottom half of this league will help the rest of the squad play at a standard on a more consistent basis. Add in the mix of Sean Long at right wing-back, you have a few leaders that will push the younger players along. However, if we beat Cheltenham on Tuesday evening, it will put a 7 point gap between us and the bottom 4 with Cheltenham's next three fixtures after us against Oxford, Barnsley and Peterborough. It's a must win game for both sides.

Charlton Team News
Lloyd Jones returns from his suspension and I expect him to slot straight back into the centre of defence with Gillesphey moving to the bench. The left-footed defender has done well and started to grow into the side, but a management of minutes could be on the cards which will see Thomas move over to left centre-back. Watson came off again near the end of the game at Northampton but we saw the return of Michael Hector instead of Asiimwe with REG moving to the wing-back role. With that in mind, I think as long as Watson can get through the majority of the game, Hector will be on the bench and REG could move back over if necessary.

Aneke and Camara were rested to manage their minutes after the pair have spent large chunks of the season injured. The impact of Aneke was missed in the second half against Northampton and as long as he's ready to go for our trip to Cheltenham, he'll come off the bench and play a good half hour. It will be interesting to see how many changes Jones makes to the midfield and up front. Dobson and Coventry are similar players but at times on Saturday I felt we lacked that bit of athleticism that Camara would bring and with being completely rested, does that mean the intention is for him to start alongside one of Dobson or Coventry? Alife May rarely starts two games in a row now under Jones, but against his former side and his first return since joining us in the summer, he'll be right up for it and looking to make amends after his missed chances on Saturday.

I have gone for just the one change to the team that started against Northampton, but I do think there will be at least one more...

Isted
REG - Jones - Thomas
Watson - Dobson - Coventry - Small
Anderson
Kanu - May

Maynard-Brewer, Hector, Gillesphey, Edun, Camara, Ladapo, Aneke

Cheltenham Town 0-2 Charlton Athletic
May
Aneke

Comments

• Options
    Nice preview. I think we would do wisely to rotate our impressive teenagers as they looked pretty tired on the weekend. 
  • Options
    Not sure Dobson and Coventry together works that well.  And where is Bakinson?
  • Options
    I don't think Kanu/May works as well as the other combinations. So start with Kanu/Ladapo then have May and Aneke to come on.
    Also, we don't need 2 centre backs on the bench so Bakinson in for one of them, probably Gillesphey.
  • Options
    Can't see Gillesphey being dropped so, if Watson is fit, I think Thomas will go to the bench. If Watson isn't fit REG will probably play RB. 
  • Options
    edited March 4
    I think there might be a few more changes on Tuesday, as we tired towards the end of the game.
    It's possible that Bakinson may start.
    Gillisphey is coming into form, and whether he plays or not may be down to how quickly he has recovered from Northampton. They might want to keep his momentum going, if at all possible.
    REG is another player whose form is a massive bonus. The January window is beginning to look much more positive than it did in Frebruary.

Bakinson
    Coventry
    Gillephey
    Edmonds-Green
    Ramsay
    and Small are all beginning to look like good, or very good, signings. Fiorini perhaps less so, and the jury is still out on Ladapo. 
  • Options
    I think Bakinson will play, with Camara playing on Saturday. 
  • Options
    Gillesphey to the bench? No chance - he has been a rock the last few games. Think Thomas on the bench.

And think Camara may come back into midfield so we start with the 3 that started v Derby.

If Aneke can so much as walk onto the pitch, get him on the bench!

Think this one is pivotal. Win this and I do think we will just go from strength to strength and climb away. Lose? I dont even want to imagine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reckon we'll draw this one, and beat Carlisle on the weekend, we're still not able to win back to back games
  • Options
    It's been said above but a draw Tuesday and a win Saturday I'd be happy with, so don't lose 1-1 Tuesday and on to the weekend.
  • Options
    It's clearly not ideal to have Watson starting, then limping off 3 games running with his thigh problem, and makes more sense to rest him completely and shift REG to right wing back, with Jones coming in.

We need fresh legs in midfield, so I'd bring Bakinson back in for Anderson, even if it leaves our midfield a bit workmanlike. Camara still seems a bit off the pace at the moment, so I worry about starting him.
  • Options
    I think Jones will be on the bench unless there are any fitness issues.
  • Options
    We should have a sweepstake for the minute when the first shout of "clear the ***king thing" comes from the crowd to Isted. I reckon it'll be in the 2nd minute.
  • Options
    I wonder if NJ is using Watson for 70 minutes until Ramsay is ready, then rest him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lloyd Jones back in I think. May manage Gillespheys minutes. Stick with May & Kanu up top although he might rest Kanu for this one. Chuks on the bench is so important. I would like to see Camara back to start and again a bit of respite for another youngster Anderson. Tight game this. Can see another 1-1. 
  • Options
    Would be really nice to win this and give us some breathing room. 
  • Options
    edited March 4
    That chap Nathan Jones is starting to look like he might know what he’s doing so on this occasion I’m proposing to leave picking the team up to him. It’s a big responsibility for him but I’ve every confidence he will rise to the challenge…just don’t start Ladapo, save him for later in the game and play Kanu and Chuks upfront to batter the opposition defence with Alfie having a free rein behind them.
    you cannot start Chuks.....ever
    Nathan can, it’s the ‘managers’ that think Chuks can play up front and also run around at speed and cover 3 quarters of the pitch, wing to wing like May and Dobbo that shouldn’t start Chuks.

Chuks doesn’t need to run around to get the ball and keep two or three opposition defenders occupied because the ball goes to him (and he controls it)  and those defenders never leave his side 
  • Options
    1-1 . Similar outcome to Saturday with us giving away a soft goal and allowing Cheltenham a draw in a game we should have won.  

• Options
    my lad has predicted both last games correctly, I have not, but I did predict that Anderson would get his second goal in two games on our way to the Sixfields.

That poor predicting form in mind, I can only see a Desmond in this one. Keep that gap in play…
  • Options
    Last week I predicted a draw on Saturday with wins tomorrow and against Carlisle, and am happy to stick with that.

Alfie May to score against his old club and not celebrate.
  • Options
    edited March 4
    0-2 Charlton.
  • Options
    I think he’ll rest Watson now that he has a strong back 3 without REG. so Jones,Gillesphey and Thomas with REG as rwb…essentially what Killerandflash said !!
    6 points from the next 2 😀
  • Options
    I'll go 1-1 again and I'll be happy with that.
    A win would be tremendous.