Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2024/25 season ticket discussion (details on P2)

Comments

• Options
    I think a lot of people have already downgraded to avoid the - frankly ridiculous - price in the centre blocks. It’s probably not generated any extra money as you can see looking at the distribution of the crowd that people avoid it in the AC Stand in particular. 

The equivalent seats appear to be £430-£475 at Millwall.

If it was £550 you’d probably pick up enough from the £450 seats to offset the difference.

On the flip side the cheapest seats are also too cheap. They are too much of an incentive to downgrade, albeit they will price some people in. Millwall’s initial offer is £380-£390 behind the goal.

The price structure was broken ten years ago and it’s not easy to put back together, but someone will have to do it eventually. I can see that it would be a risk to do so after the utter shite presented this season.
    I think they might want to try a half way house to tempt people back in the form of buy a block of say 4 games at a discount.  

Need to persuade people to get back in the habit. 

Until we get out of this division the need / incentive to have a season ticket is minimal. 
  • Options
    Important to keep matchday prices sensible.
  • Options
    Jon_CAFC_ said:
    Good to see Alfie on this as he wasn't on the leading page for the season ticket campaign, see 2024/25 season tickets now on sale | Charlton Athletic Football Club (charltonafc.com). The conspiracy theorist in me started to get worried!  :D
  • Options
    I think a lot of people have already downgraded to avoid the - frankly ridiculous - price in the centre blocks. It’s probably not generated any extra money as you can see looking at the distribution of the crowd that people avoid it in the AC Stand in particular. 

If it was £550 you’d probably pick up enough from the £450 seats to offset the difference.

On the flip side the cheapest seats are also too cheap. They are too much of an incentive to downgrade, albeit they will price some people in. Millwall’s initial offer is £380-£390 behind the goal.

The price structure was broken ten years ago and it’s not easy to put back together, but someone will have to do it eventually. I can see that it would be a risk to do so after the utter shite presented this season.
    If the cheapest seats are too cheap, how come the lower north isn’t sold out every game ?

the fact is tickets all around the ground are far too expensive for the product being sold. 
  • Options
    Last season of a free kids ticket in the family stand, decision for 25/26 is whether we lift and shift
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Last season of a free kids ticket in the family stand, decision for 25/26 is whether we lift and shift
    I suspect that free kids ticket probably brings in a lot of revenue over the season 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I suspect that free kids ticket probably brings in a lot of revenue over the season 
    I'll end up swallowing the £140 in 25, but I'll probably be more picky about where I sit, and probably move back into the North Upper unless my youngest suddenly likes football. 

• Options

If the cheapest seats are too cheap, how come the lower north isn’t sold out every game ?

the fact is tickets all around the ground are far too expensive for the product being sold. 
     The cheapest seats are not sold out because possibly they offer an inferior view, also people buy these seats & then use staircases to access the more expensive seats in the upper Covered End.
    The problem is that once the season ticket prices are set, match day prices have to reflect those prices.
    The reason i started buying a season ticket over 50 years ago was that it saved me money, the ticket cost about '19 x' the matchday price, hence if you attended every home game you had i either 2 or 4 free games depending which league we were in.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I think they might want to try a half way house to tempt people back in the form of buy a block of say 4 games at a discount.  

Until we get out of this division the need / incentive to have a season ticket is minimal
    Yet most people who go regularly buy one, and they often do so despite not attending every game.
    That's because it still often works out cheaper and you can sit in the same place when you go. 
  • Options
    clive said:

The cheapest seats are not sold out because possibly they offer an inferior view, also people buy these seats & then use staircases to access the more expensive seats in the upper Covered End.
    The problem is that once the season ticket prices are set, match day prices have to reflect those prices.
    The reason i started buying a season ticket over 50 years ago was that it saved me money, the ticket cost about '19 x' the matchday price, hence if you attended every home game you had i either 2 or 4 free games depending which league we were in.

Shouldn’t the starting point then be to first determine where to set the match day ticket prices that won’t discourage fans and THEN set the season ticket prices at a level that if the club needs to drop the match day price at any time it can ?

if we can attract a critical mass of fans attending then that will create another draw for occasional & match day ticket fans to come along.

• Options
    clive said:

Shouldn’t the starting point then be to first determine where to set the match day ticket prices that won’t discourage fans and THEN set the season ticket prices at a level that if the club needs to drop the match day price at any time it can ?

if we can attract a critical mass of fans attending then that will create another draw for occasional & match day ticket fans to come along.

I agree, like railway companies do/did with annual season tickets, encourage people to buy them before fares go up & then they were priced at about the equivalent price of 10 months travel.

• Options

Until we get out of this division the need / incentive to have a season ticket is minimal
    Yet most people who go regularly buy one, and they often do so despite not attending every game.
    Well yes but I’m suggesting how to get more sales not just retain those we already have. 

Is it a bad suggestion?
  • Options
    fenaddick said:

That's because it still often works out cheaper and you can sit in the same place when you go. 
    As with all subscription/membership situations, there is always strong resistance to changing behaviour - those business models hang on people paying but not attending/using.

I think convenience also weighs heavily in favour of season tickets
    The %age of games attended by my group has fallen consistently since the return after covid
    There is no talk of not renewing
    The financial breakeven point might be as low as 17 or 18 games - which there's no guarantee we'll attend.
    The faff of buying match to match and the unreliability of the turnstiles accepting paper or phone tickets outweigh the chance of saving a few quid
    Plus there's always the daydream of getting a top division draw in a cup match or playoff games at season's end, being a S/T holder makes all that much easier - however fanciful 

All comparisons to palarse and spanner pricing are disingenuous in the extreme.
    Any perceived difference in the "quality of the football" is buried under the horror of the surroundings and/or clientele at both venues.
    We've had a properly shitty season but we're not surrounded by stripy nigels in an unflushed toilet or borstal graduates in a rusty monstrosity.
    To appropriate a cliché: form is temporary - class is permanent
  • Options
    edited March 25

Well yes but I’m suggesting how to get more sales not just retain those we already have. 

Is it a bad suggestion?
    I don't think it has much bearing on season ticket sales, to be honest. You won’t capture many new fans with a bulk purchase, however you price it, and the main problem for existing fans is not price but the poor value on the pitch. Changing that is more likely to be effective than any ticket offer.

Being realistic, the likely ceiling on STs in L1 is about 10k and post 2012 we haven’t managed a lot more in the Championship. I don’t think we are in a position to hit those ceilings at present. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    fenaddick said:

As with all subscription/membership situations, there is always strong resistance to changing behaviour - those business models hang on people paying but not attending/using.

I think convenience also weighs heavily in favour of season tickets
    The %age of games attended by my group has fallen consistently since the return after covid
    There is no talk of not renewing
    The financial breakeven point might be as low as 17 or 18 games - which there's no guarantee we'll attend.
    The faff of buying match to match and the unreliability of the turnstiles accepting paper or phone tickets outweigh the chance of saving a few quid
    Plus there's always the daydream of getting a top division draw in a cup match or playoff games at season's end, being a S/T holder makes all that much easier - however fanciful 

All comparisons to palarse and spanner pricing are disingenuous in the extreme.
    Any perceived difference in the "quality of the football" is buried under the horror of the surroundings and/or clientele at both venues.
    We've had a properly shitty season but we're not surrounded by stripy nigels in an unflushed toilet or borstal graduates in a rusty monstrosity.
    To appropriate a cliché: form is temporary - class is permanent
    I’ve never been a fan of comparing prices with other clubs (not least because there is no real substitution opportunity and their own approaches are often unsuccessful) but I’d say it’s pretty weird to be charging a third premium for L1 football over the Championship. Might be a case for people who want to sit around the dugouts and directors box, but the facilities in the AC Stand and upper west are basic and the concourses are exposed to the elements.

Of course you are right about the company.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 25
    Renewed mine last week despite telling myself I wouldn't given that I didn't bother for most games. I wonder how typical I am of a large section of the fan base: disillusioned but hopeful under Jones and keen to keep my 'standing' seat in the back row of the Lower North?
  • Options
    edited March 25
    Would love to know how many ask this question (number 13) in the "FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS" section of the Season Ticket E Brochure. I can think of a lot of questions I might ask but not that !  :)  Joking apart, well done the club for the info sent out to help anyone that has a question re renewal etc.

13. What is our ‘behind closed doors’ policy? The club will contact season ticket holders to confirm the process in the event of home games being required to be played behind closed doors

• Options
    I was expecting a rebate with the shit that has been served up this season not sure i can put up with much more of this league 1 football and the price and standard of lager in fans bar, think they should offer up a half season ticket from the start of the season
  • Options
    How many seats in the back 8 rows of the North Upper, will the 1000 safe standing placed increase The Valley capacity overall?
  • Options
    I’m holding off buying one until Christmas. Then I qualify for the over 65 price.  😁 
  • Options
    I have had a season ticket since Upton Park days and regard it as my support financially for the club. I try to attend as many home games as possible. Over the years of course it’s the football quality but external issues are having an effect. Getting to the ground is often difficult eg Blackwall Tunnel then being able to park a nightmare. I know the public transport argument but I live in an area public transport not an option.
    ok the above specific to me and the club not responsible for areas outside its control bit it’s a factor.
  • Options
    biggest issue issue I have is like everything else in this poxy day and age is trying to login - I’m sure it will turn out to be my fault but every time I want to buy an away ticket, a Charlton tv match or a season ticket I have to reset my poxy login details - same with everything else - it’s all such a f??king palava to do anything these days - going to a match at the meridian tonight  - I challenge anybody to work out how the hell u pay in the car park 
  • Options
    I normally buy S/T and Valley Express S/T together.  That is not an option this season as they are “reviewing” Valley Express whatever that means but me buying an S/T depends on Valley Express continuing at a reasonable price.  I’m sure I’m not the only one.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    I normally buy S/T and Valley Express S/T together.  That is not an option this season as they are “reviewing” Valley Express whatever that means but me buying an S/T depends on Valley Express continuing at a reasonable price.  I’m sure I’m not the only one.
    Same here. However, I will renew my season ticket and then if they withdraw the Valley Express service request a refund if that’s what I decide to do citing the withdrawal of Valley Express as the reason.

I don’t think they will scrap Valley Express but may see a hike in price and some logistical changes and subsequently some changes in pick up times.