Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD : Exeter City Vs Charlton Athletic : Good Friday 29th March 2024 : KO 15:00

edited March 29 in General Charlton
The Addicks travelled to Exeter eager for a Good Friday victory, but it was the home side that got off to the quick start. Former Addick Ben Purrington opened the scoring, putting The Grecians ahead after only five minutes with a header at the back post that rebounded off of Tennai Watson and in. Charlton regrouped and battled away to make sure the game didn’t escape them.

George Dobson had the ball in the back of the net with a wicked volley from the edge of the box, but it was ruled out for a Charlton foul in the box. He struck again when he seemed to poke the ball over the line, but it was Ben Purrington that hooked it away.

The equaliser didn’t come until late in the game when, in a repeat of the Exeter goal, Chuks Aneke headed the ball in off the back of the Exeter defender to level the score in more ways than one. The end of the game devolved (or evolved) into a basketball-style-back-and-forth, with each team trading blows. Alfie May had the best deep in added time when he found himself one-on-one with the keeper, but his touch took him too far wide and he only managed to hit the post.

It wasn’t a game full of quality and gilt edge opportunities, and it was frustrating at times, but it was a worthy point for both sides who share space mid table.

Exeter 1 Charlton 1

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    Poor game. A draw was a fair result but would've loved it if Alfie had nicked it at the end
  • Options
    Can we move on from the Ladapo experiment now? 

Would rather we bedded in a youngster or something for next season at this point. 
    With you on that one, he's bloody shocking. 
  • Options
    Can we move on from the Ladapo experiment now? 

Would rather we bedded in a youngster or something for next season at this point. 
    Agree on this view. He's not going to be here next season (if he is, we'll struggle again) 
  • Options
    edited March 29
    Unbeaten run goes on, hasn't NJ had 8 away games out of 10? It was a shite game, I think we'll see a few changes for Monday. Hopefully, if not injured Wickham and Lua Lua come in and I'd start Barkinson instead if Anderson.
    However I think NJ knows who he needs to ditch now, so he could give Taylor a go and REG back in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hurry up and get a win, then we know we are safe. Send the loan players back, only one I wouldn't mind keeping, if possible, is Bakinson. We still need another five players and make a decision on Lua Lua and Small. 
  • Options
    Hopefully some changes Monday, but you sense we're limping to safety. Stevenage on a poor run still won't be easy but just don't get beat. Like most here I just want this season over. 

Can't see Nathan being happy after today. 
  • Options
    Ugly, yeah, but Jones needs to take huge credit for the unbeaten run.
    Yes thoroughly agree and with probably half the squad that shouldn't be here next season! 
  • Options
    Turgid stuff from start to finish……a great example of League1 dross, so it made for a fair result.
    Oh Alfie!!!!😕😕😕
  • Options
    Jones has almost got us to safety, the squad has big limitations that will need addressing in the summer 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tense read of the match thread. Thanks, everyone, for your comments. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Another poor game, riddled with mistakes. I don’t know whether there was a swirling wind causing so many long passes to go astray - otherwise, there’s questions to be answered about the technical ability of most of our side.

Bad miss by Alfie at the end, which would have given us an undeserved win. As it is, a point probably a fair result.

Ben Purrington played well for Exeter. Often thought he was underrated by some of our fans.

Too many of our players had an off day, with Michael Hector our best performer.

It was a good day for relegation threatened teams, with wins for Cambridge (at Barnsley), Cheltenham (at Fleetwood), Carlisle (at Peterborough), Port Vale (v Bristol Rovers) and Reading (v Northampton), with draws for Shrewsbury and Burton also.

So we’re down to 16th, still 7 points above the drop zone but we’ve got to do better on Monday against Stevenage, then against Barnsley too - who are in a run of poor form at present - next week.

I take your point but we were already 16th this morning we haven't dropped any places today and arguably we actually are a point closer to a few teams above us as mid-table had a stinker today.
  • Options
    Who is it?

It's Alfie.

Chicken dinner, Charlton winner.

Oh, balls!
  • Options
    Would have been nice to nick the win at the end but a fair result

Felt like a friendly at times

• Options
    Croydon said:
    What was the point in signing Wickham and Lua Lua if neither can even make the bench at this stage of the season?
    We've got another game Monday, think they'll be a few changes.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    What was the point in signing Wickham and Lua Lua if neither can even make the bench at this stage of the season?
    Rotation