Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD : Exeter City Vs Charlton Athletic : Good Friday 29th March 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Sometimes I wonder why I spend a tenner to get angry and frustrated. Thank god for Chuks. 
    Hector was classy, but today no one else was. 
    That was certainly a tough watch today on the back of the Fleetwood match, so many below par performances. Roll on Monday and some fresh blood in the starting line up.
    Stevenage desperate for play-off points suggests we may be in for a hard game Uncle.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Weird feeling after that. We were rubbish for the vast majority of the game and are possibly lucky to leave with a point. But also feel slightly aggrieved that Alfie didn’t take that chance at the end and win us the match. 

Horrendous game of football.
    Knowing you are one of the hard core away geezers, I hope the pasties down there softened your pain.
  • Options
    If I had to bet my life on it, I would say our first half 'goal' went over the line but you can't blame the officials. No way they could be certain.

I accept clearing headers are often just about clearing the ball but there are opportunities to head in the direction of a teammate sometimes and we hardly ever do, whereas our opponents are generally better at doing this than us. It is little details really. 

I think Jones has to decide which of Isted and AMB will be our reserve keeper next season. We definitely need to bring a starter in. Isted has no dominance of his box whatsoever.
    Lloyd Jones should be back in as soon as fit imo 
  • Options
    Genuinely up there with the worst away days all season. Terribly flat atmosphere in the away end, probably didn't help I was sick but it was so flat. Outsung by a group of 9 year olds to our left. How low can it get, group of kids singing Charlton get battered, and they weren't wrong for the majority of the game.

I thought their main stand had excellent support, probably some of the best I've seen tbh. I'm a bit miffed how we can't seem to control a midfield yet again, when you see a performance like that, you do wonder if we need a whole new squad bar a few. 

Last little moan, what on earth is their road system about? no entries everywhere, zebra crossing on every corner it felt like, proper excessive. 

One and done job that for me, first time going Exeter and deffo a ground tick last. 

Jesus wept, I think the last time I actually enjoyed watching a game of footie was Derby away. 6 games to go with 4 of them at home. Need to see some better performances than a few of the ones turned out recently. Just want this season over with. Fkn shit league.
    As bad as the overall performance was, it was 1-1
  • Options
    The last couple of results basically show where we are as a team.
    Even with NJ as manager this squad will not be good enough to challenge next season. 
    Major surgery is needed as most of us can see.
    I believe we will improve the squad over the summer and I also believe we will challenge next season. 
    In the meantime we have a couple of decent home games to look forward to before our next away game at Cambridge which I shall be going to.
    Hopefully the next 3 matches will take us to the 50 point mark and keep us safe from the dreaded bottom 4.
    Onwards and upwards. 
  • Options
    edited March 30
    Not much to add. Much to do about nothing really. Think we can only keep one of Hector and Thomas and if so it’s got to be Hector. Can we send Loadapoo back now please? Bloody awful footballer. Thought Bakinson made a difference when he came on and thought Coventry, Hector, Isted and Small had decent games. The rest a bit meh. Surprised Anderson started after being away all week. Expect to see a few changes on Monday. At least Jones is learning what some of them are capable of, or not capable of in some cases, and there will be major changes in the summer, much needed if we are to make top six let alone top two.
    I'm not sure Jones is learning what some of them are capable of. By all accounts Anderson  had been poor for a few games now, and having been away during the week & travelling long distances by plane I would have thought it would have been the ideal time to rest him. And then Jones could have taken a better look at Bakinson or even Terry Taylor. 

Not very good management imo. 
    Alternatively - if he is going to be an international player next season and beyond - perhaps he was having a quick look to see how he coped with the situation - it's bound to happen next year as well. He took him off at half time which he hasn't done before to my knowledge. Suggests perhaps he did learn something about how to use him next year off the back of international breaks going forwards.

The time to be experimenting with things like that are when you are safely in mid table. Not when there is still a threat of relegation. 
    Do you really think we are still in threat of getting relegated or are you just being argumentative?

8 points from a possible last 12.  One of the form teams in the league even after multiple away games. 7 points clear with goal difference as a basically bonus point if required and 6 games to play.

It's one thing to think we were in trouble when MA was in charge and we hadn't won in months - we are clearly not in that position any more - 9 teams have not been able to beat us since then and we have proven under NJ we can win games.

I'd even argue we don't need to pick up another point this season and we would still be safe. (in fact I said as much last week in another thread when we were 1 point lighter and I stand by it.)

We're not safe until we are. The threat still exists, but I agree when taking into account what you say, it's minimal.

I don't think tinkering with whatever has contributed to our turnaround in form is sensible though. I'm sure if NJ needs to give game time to players he's hasn't had chance to decide on yet, he'll do it when he thinks he can safely do so. 

Experimenting ahead of a summer reset might be useful, but picking up as many points as possible between now and the season end is a bigger priority as it's the attitude we'll need going into next.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 30
    I think 50 points is the safety mark this season and we haven't got there yet. With three home games coming up, we ought to achieve it pretty quickly and safely but if we start losing the squeaky bums could return.

What we have to accept with Anderson is that he is still learning. He will have good games and poor games but we should see the benefits going forwards. If I was an opposing manager, I would say get into him quickly and he has to learn to deal with that. I'm sure he will. I'd rest him for Monday and I think we need to see more of Bakinson. I think there is a player in there and Jones needs more information on him.

I haven't got an issue with us playing physical lump it forwards football but we do need to have more players in the side who score goals. Aso as somebody who has despaired about Edun and Watson this season, I have to admit that Watson has improved, but he is still too weak for me.

Purrington was always a reliable enough defender who could chip in with a goal or two. Absolutely we could do better since his departure but havent really done so. I think his biggest weakness was against pace and I'm sure that's still the case as he isn't going to get faster.
  • Options
    edited March 30
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Sometimes I wonder why I spend a tenner to get angry and frustrated. Thank god for Chuks. 
    That was certainly a tough watch today on the back of the Fleetwood match, so many below par performances. Roll on Monday and some fresh blood in the starting line up.
    Stevenage desperate for play-off points suggests we may be in for a hard game Uncle.
    No doubt but they’re dropping points and I’d rather be playing them now than when they were winning regularly. I hope NJ rests a few and uses the squad with a line up like this and plenty of height in the team assuming 1. REG is over his illness 2. Wickham can play for an hour, then bring Chucks on;

Isted

REG Jones Hector Gillesphey Small

Bakinson Coventry Dobson 

Wickham May

Subs; AMB, Watson, Thomas, Anderson, Kanu, Aneke, Lua lua

• Options
    I expect quite a few changes with Jones needing to assess players. Having said that, he will also be mindful that we are not 100% safe yet.
  • Options
    If playing poorly, don't loose. At least Jones is keeping us unbeaten. We would have lost that game earlier in the season.
    Let's hope he mixes it up a bit in Monday. 3 points would be a nice finish to the bank holiday.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    No doubt but they’re dropping points and I’d rather be playing them now than when they were winning regularly. I hope NJ rests a few and uses the squad with a line up like this and plenty of height in the team assuming 1. REG is over his illness 2. Wickham can play for an hour, then bring Chucks on;

Isted

REG Jones Hector Gillesphey Small

Bakinson Coventry Dobson 

Wickham May

Subs; AMB, Watson, Thomas, Anderson, Kanu, Aneke, Lua lua

I like the look of this side. Hopefully if Wickham is fit and REG has overcome his illness will give as the height we need. Bakinson, for me, deserves his place and giving Anderson a much needed rest. I would also hope we could see Lua Lua play more than a cameo part.
    Stevenage are a route one 'bullying' type side thar we need to be able to stand up to.

• Options
    Obviously not been a successful season on the pitch by any stretch but, looking at the league this morning, don't think we're going down. 

Also, just to accentuate the positives a little bit more; we're going into a summer transfer window in a much better place regarding owners willing to spend, and a management team with a bit of idea, than we have for a long long time.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Re' Goal line technology - Gaffer tape a Ring Doorbell to each post and ping through the image to the ref when needed. Ze bosh
    This was obviously a joke, but can't see why a camara on each goal line has got to cost £200k as mentioned on the other thread. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    What was the point in signing Wickham and Lua Lua if neither can even make the bench at this stage of the season?
    Rotation
    Yup. Rotation with Aneke on the injury table.
    You wouldn’t want the medical staff to feel unwanted. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Re' Goal line technology - Gaffer tape a Ring Doorbell to each post and ping through the image to the ref when needed. Ze bosh
    This was obviously a joke, but can't see why a camara on each goal line has got to cost £200k as mentioned on the other thread. 
    Slightly off main topic, but I have a simple home security cam system. It records 24./7, pings an alert to my phone every time something passes it or creates a sound (not always ideal living in a city) 360' movement, night vision and all controlled by my phone. Cost £8.

Surely goal line technology cannot really be as expensive as suggested by the league. There must be some agenda surely. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just watched Lincoln vs Orient highlights. Lincoln win  again- a ball won by  closing down in the last few remaining minutes. They have done this many times this season- in my book it counts as "goals for free" . Hard working (energetic) forwards closing down and winning the ball back against  error prone L1 defenders. It's an easy way to success , much easier than  to put in effort than trying to put together passing movements and finishing etc. But you need energetic players who can run and run and close down with threat ie look like they are going to win the ball rather than just running over to the defender to say hello and shake his hand.
  • Options
    Weirdly flat atmosphere yesterday until the last 10 minutes. The poor start and the nothingness of our situation in the table probably was the cause. Way off being good enough to celebrate, not bad enough for gallows humour...
  • Options
    Just watched Lincoln vs Orient highlights. Lincoln win  again- a ball won by  closing down in the last few remaining minutes. They have done this many times this season- in my book it counts as "goals for free" . Hard working (energetic) forwards closing down and winning the ball back against  error prone L1 defenders. It's an easy way to success , much easier than  to put in effort than trying to put together passing movements and finishing etc. But you need energetic players who can run and run and close down with threat ie look like they are going to win the ball rather than just running over to the defender to say hello and shake his hand.
    Don’t think I’ve watched us under Jones and thought we don’t work hard enough. We just don’t have much creative quality.
    And our most energetic forwards are Kanu and May. Bringing on Ladapo and Aneke means we lose much of our pressing threat.

Chuks brings strength and power to compensate, Ladapo brings not enough.
  • Options
    Well that was disappointing 
    Looks like & feels like the players are slipping back into the half hearted performances we have had to suffer for most of the season 
    After paying out all that money to watch that I have finally had it with travelling away 
    It's sad to say but i just want this season over & done with 
    Am I looking forward to next season 🤔 not really 

• Options
    We looked very short on technical ability. Hardly any balls stuck to the front men and a fair amount of the midfield passing was terrible. 

Anderson should be rested now. He's willing enough and gets a few scoring chances but his lack of technique hampered us yesterday. 

Hector looked a cut above most of the others. Read the game well and tried to make things happen with the ball. 

Aneke looked very rusty. Ladapo wasn't sharp either. 

Overall, it was a pretty boring watch.