Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD : Exeter City Vs Charlton Athletic : Good Friday 29th March 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Pretty similar to the Fleetwood game really but in reverse. It’s good a point though with teams around the bottom 4 winning to continue the unbeaten run 
  • Options
    Didn't watch, listen to or even properly follow the game today, a read of the match thread at midnight was the exciting bit, and from what I can gather, more exciting than the game itself.

It does seem that NJ has two aim this season: to keep us in League and to properly assess the players at our disposal. Games like this will help him do the latter.

Great to see Hector being chosen by most people as our MOM on the player marks. It is quite obvious that his mistakes in early games leading to goals turned many against him and he's been sidelined after injury under Nathan Jones. I really think he is a classy defender and it's unfortunate that he is prone to the odd error or he'd be playing a level above us.

I'm trying to think of the last central defender we had that you could consider reliable: most of the current crop have made errors leading to goals, Innis was a liability, Famewo was error prone, Lavelle was erratic at best, Pearce might have been solid but often at the expense of a penalty of free kick. This is what you get in league one.

I would love Hector's contract to be extended. He should be one of the best defenders in League One
  • Options
    4 wins, 5 draws. We are mid table fodder, at best right now, and I dare say same again unless this team is changed drastically. Unless the dead wood can be cut loose, there is a real chance of another season without challenging. 

To be fair, I doubted, as did so many that this team was good enough in the close season. Every fan can see the weaknesses and who isn't up to the promotion challenge. The same will apply to Jones and the owners.

The thought of another season like this is beyond depressing. 

With strong teams likely to come down or up, next season could be a tougher league. 
  • Options
    Jones has almost got us to safety, the squad has big limitations that will need addressing in the summer 
    Jones has turned things around with a squad threatening relegation, it augers well for next season should he able to have a squad of better quality.
  • Options
    4 wins, 5 draws. We are mid table fodder, at best right now, and I dare say same again unless this team is changed drastically. Unless the dead wood can be cut loose, there is a real chance of another season without challenging. 

To be fair, I doubted, as did so many that this team was good enough in the close season. Every fan can see the weaknesses and who isn't up to the promotion challenge. The same will apply to Jones and the owners.

The thought of another season like this is beyond depressing. 

With strong teams likely to come down or up, next season could be a tougher league. 
    This.

Especially the last paragraph. Next season we could have Sheff Wed & Wrexham as well as perennial yo-yo Rotherham. 

I'm glad Jones had come out with the statement about getting the squad assembled early as it will show our intent way before ST's need to be bought. Not been at recent games but what I see on the stream, read on here and get told by my son (who was there today) another total clearput is needed if we are going to challenge for at least top 6. Can't see it myself but we'll know inside 3 months whether Jones is all talk or not. 
  • Options
    https://x.com/cafcofficial/status/1773769249837744512?s=46&t=ynww82GMl7VKBjthBflU0g

Nathan Jones speaks to CharltonTV following today's draw in Devon 🗣️

#cafc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 29
    Stewart said:
    Worst case scenario is 23rd. 
    Phew, that's a relief!
  • Options
    Can we move on from the Ladapo experiment now? 

Would rather we bedded in a youngster or something for next season at this point. 
    Weren’t you moaning about overplaying Anderson in the match thread?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Sometimes I wonder why I spend a tenner to get angry and frustrated. Thank god for Chuks. 
    Hector was classy, but today no one else was. 
    That was certainly a tough watch today on the back of the Fleetwood match, so many below par performances. Roll on Monday and some fresh blood in the starting line up.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Genuinely thought we'd won it. Alfie getting slammed, but it should not have come down to an opportunity in the 96th minute to decide the game.
      Thing is, it happens. And it will happen next season. Dog shit performance but a chance to grab all three points. If we are serious about being in the mix next season then we will have to grab them.
  • Options
    Wasn't the best of games but i'll take a point on the road. Extends our unbeaten run to 9 which isn't bad considering 6 of the last 8 have been away from home.

Performances do need to improve though, and hopefully we can kick on with the next 3 all at home.

6 games left and i'm pretty confident we'll stay up but would like us to get to 50 points quickly in these next 3 games so we're not left sweating heading into the last 3. 
  • Options
    Watched on stream  We lacked composure on the ball with too many wayward or over hit passes. Never really had them under the pump. A disappointing performance, but a scrappy point which means we can't finish on less than a point a game now. One win from here is all we need imo. Then we can draw a line under this awful season and start getting properly excited about next.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will be good to get back home. Can properly lay down a marker in the next three with no travel and some good atmospheres at TV
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Ifs and buts though. The shots on target stat is a bit misleading, as most were relatively tame efforts, rather than worldie saves. 

Exeter created more dangerous situations without the final product.
  • Options
    edited March 29
    Not much to add. Much to do about nothing really. Think we can only keep one of Hector and Thomas and if so it’s got to be Hector. Can we send Loadapoo back now please? Bloody awful footballer. Thought Bakinson made a difference when he came on and thought Coventry, Hector, Isted and Small had decent games. The rest a bit meh. Surprised Anderson started after being away all week. Expect to see a few changes on Monday. At least Jones is learning what some of them are capable of, or not capable of in some cases, and there will be major changes in the summer, much needed if we are to make top six let alone top two.
  • Options
    Impressed with that Exeter keeper.

Very capable. 

• Options
    Croydon said:
    What was the point in signing Wickham and Lua Lua if neither can even make the bench at this stage of the season?
    We made a fair few additions one way or another in the January window.
    Did you really expect them all to work out……I for one didn’t?
  • Options
    edited March 29
    Exeter looked good for 6 minutes then terrible. So terrible that you have to question why we allowed them to have that fast start. We weren't much better, a little bit maybe, and didn't deserve more than a point. Nor did they, it was that type of game. Why did Jones put Edun on instead of Bakinson? Very strange and the feelings I got watching that tosh was frustration and irritation.
  • Options
    We didn't deserve a win after that performance, but happy with the point. Some of our passing was awful, and we can't blame the weather as the wind had died down. 

A very random looking team and formation by the end, but then we do have a lot of options in the squad who are all a bit "average".

Impressed with Exeter, they played good stuff, and a decent noise from their home end.
    You were impressed with Exeter……really? 🤔🤔🤔
  • Options
    We made Exeter look good by gifting them time to play, when we pressed and put passes together we were better , we just didn't do it enough. Draw a fair enough result but we could have nicked it.