Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD : Exeter City Vs Charlton Athletic : Good Friday 29th March 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Impressed with that Exeter keeper.

Very capable. 

On loan from Villa. Stats someone put up before the game says he's the best keeper on the league (for shot stopping or some other measure).
  • Options
    The 1st half was that bad I went round and sat with the inlaws for the 2nd half watching sky sports news.
  • Options
    edited March 29
    If I had to bet my life on it, I would say our first half 'goal' went over the line but you can't blame the officials. No way they could be certain.

I accept clearing headers are often just about clearing the ball but there are opportunities to head in the direction of a teammate sometimes and we hardly ever do, whereas our opponents are generally better at doing this than us. It is little details really. 

I think Jones has to decide which of Isted and AMB will be our reserve keeper next season. We definitely need to bring a starter in. Isted has no dominance of his box whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited March 29
    Not much to add. Much to do about nothing really. Think we can only keep one of Hector and Thomas and if so it’s got to be Hector. Can we send Loadapoo back now please? Bloody awful footballer. Thought Bakinson made a difference when he came on and thought Coventry, Hector, Isted and Small had decent games. The rest a bit meh. Surprised Anderson started after being away all week. Expect to see a few changes on Monday. At least Jones is learning what some of them are capable of, or not capable of in some cases, and there will be major changes in the summer, much needed if we are to make top six let alone top two.
    I'm not sure Jones is learning what some of them are capable of. By all accounts Anderson  had been poor for a few games now, and having been away during the week & travelling long distances by plane I would have thought it would have been the ideal time to rest him. And then Jones could have taken a better look at Bakinson or even Terry Taylor. 

Not very good management imo. 
    Alternatively - if he is going to be an international player next season and beyond - perhaps he was having a quick look to see how he coped with the situation - it's bound to happen next year as well. He took him off at half time which he hasn't done before to my knowledge. Suggests perhaps he did learn something about how to use him next year off the back of international breaks going forwards.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Impressed with that Exeter keeper.

Very capable. 

On loan from Villa. Stats someone put up before the game says he's the best keeper on the league (for shot stopping or some other measure).
    Many thanks, Golfie. I haven't seen that.

He made a number of useful saves today, plus good handling, decision making, and quick feet.
    Good prospect.

• Options
    Just seen the highlights. Of course Chuks was involved in our goal.

Whose clever flick was it to put May through in the last minute? Shame he didn't attempt a shot. Being so rainy and damp, it's always a challenge rounding the keeper.
  • Options
    Poor performance and despite selling out a really flat away atmosphere. Jones got some job on his hands to make us promotion contenders next season. 
  • Options

mendonca said:
    Just seen the highlights. Of course Chuks was involved in our goal.

Whose clever flick was it to put May through in the last minute? Shame he didn't attempt a shot. Being so rainy and damp, it's always a challenge rounding the keeper.
     Bakinson.
  • Options
    We didn't deserve a win after that performance, but happy with the point. Some of our passing was awful, and we can't blame the weather as the wind had died down. 

A very random looking team and formation by the end, but then we do have a lot of options in the squad who are all a bit "average".

Impressed with Exeter, they played good stuff, and a decent noise from their home end.
    You were impressed with Exeter……really? 🤔🤔🤔

Yes I was. They played some nice football, and passed from the back well. A well managed club, on and off the pitch. Lacking a bit of cutting edge up front, otherwise they'd be higher up the pitch.
     They were just as clueless and messy as us all over the pitch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought it was interesting that when NJ changed things, it was Gillesphey who was taken off, rather than Hector or Thomas.

Has NJ mentioned why Jones and REG weren't involved today?
  • Options
    I thought it was interesting that when NJ changed things, it was Gillesphey who was taken off, rather than Hector or Thomas.

Gillesphey has had good games for us but this wasn't one of them, was the obvious one to withdraw 
  • Options
    Not much to add. Much to do about nothing really. Think we can only keep one of Hector and Thomas and if so it’s got to be Hector. Can we send Loadapoo back now please? Bloody awful footballer. Thought Bakinson made a difference when he came on and thought Coventry, Hector, Isted and Small had decent games. The rest a bit meh. Surprised Anderson started after being away all week. Expect to see a few changes on Monday. At least Jones is learning what some of them are capable of, or not capable of in some cases, and there will be major changes in the summer, much needed if we are to make top six let alone top two.
    I'm not sure Jones is learning what some of them are capable of. By all accounts Anderson  had been poor for a few games now, and having been away during the week & travelling long distances by plane I would have thought it would have been the ideal time to rest him. And then Jones could have taken a better look at Bakinson or even Terry Taylor. 

Alternatively - if he is going to be an international player next season and beyond - perhaps he was having a quick look to see how he coped with the situation - it's bound to happen next year as well. He took him off at half time which he hasn't done before to my knowledge. Suggests perhaps he did learn something about how to use him next year off the back of international breaks going forwards.

The time to be experimenting with things like that are when you are safely in mid table. Not when there is still a threat of relegation. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    We didn't deserve a win after that performance, but happy with the point. Some of our passing was awful, and we can't blame the weather as the wind had died down. 

A very random looking team and formation by the end, but then we do have a lot of options in the squad who are all a bit "average".

Impressed with Exeter, they played good stuff, and a decent noise from their home end.

Yes I was. They played some nice football, and passed from the back well. A well managed club, on and off the pitch. Lacking a bit of cutting edge up front, otherwise they'd be higher up the pitch.
    They weren't. Far less aimless hoofing from the back for a start.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

They weren't. Far less aimless hoofing from the back for a start.
    Maybe, just aimless passes out for throws from the off.
  • Options

Commentators said REG was ill.
  • Options
    edited March 29
    It didn't look great but 6 shots on target and 17 shots off target shows that Charlton needed sharpness and then take home the points. 
    In League 1 you don't need sharpness for 90+ minutes but more than we showed today.

Amazing that a player many at CAFC didn't rate, showed how to be strong in defence and strong in the oppositions box; Ben Purrington 8.5 MOM

When you have 3 big Centre Half's and somehow Watson is trying to outjump Purrington, then some poor decisions have been made. Why Hector didn't take control remains a mystery as he had time to be better placed before the cross came in.

The clean sheet reminds elusive.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    What was the point in signing Wickham and Lua Lua if neither can even make the bench at this stage of the season?
    We made a fair few additions one way or another in the January window.
    Did you really expect them all to work out……I for one didn’t?
    They didn't come in in January. 
  • Options

The time to be experimenting with things like that are when you are safely in mid table. Not when there is still a threat of relegation. 
    Do you really think we are still in threat of getting relegated or are you just being argumentative?

8 points from a possible last 12.  One of the form teams in the league even after multiple away games. 7 points clear with goal difference as a basically bonus point if required and 6 games to play.

It's one thing to think we were in trouble when MA was in charge and we hadn't won in months - we are clearly not in that position any more - 9 teams have not been able to beat us since then and we have proven under NJ we can win games.

I'd even argue we don't need to pick up another point this season and we would still be safe. (in fact I said as much last week in another thread when we were 1 point lighter and I stand by it.)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 29
    NJ has sussed very quickly that this bunch will keep us in L1 at best.  Signs are he will be backed early doors, here's hoping that one day in the not too distant future, we are not consoling ourselves with a point at bloody Exeter.
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    Was at the game and it wasn’t pretty to watch. Aimless balls out of defence, our players slipping over and our passes going out of play or to their players. Yes we battled but very little on means of actual playing neat football. Yet we could/should have won it if the line had seen the Dobson effort go over the line, the ref had seen the shirt pull on on Lapado for a penalty and if Alfie finishes the 1 on 1,
    The performances today and at Fleetwood show this squad of players won’t get us promoted next season - We need to get 5 or 6 better players to have a realistic chance of going for it next year.
    For our remaining games I would like to see us set up to play some decent attacking football and not the battling long ball stuff we’ve played the past month.
    Highlight today was meeting some old friends and family in the Imperial before the game - must be a lovely in the summer

Just had a pint there, an amazing Spoons 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    What was the point in signing Wickham and Lua Lua if neither can even make the bench at this stage of the season?
    Yes…..you’re right, I realised it in fact and meant to edit it….anyway the point still stands that I didn’t believe for one minute that they were all going to be a success with us……I think most of us realised that.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Yes…..you’re right, I realised it in fact and meant to edit it….anyway the point still stands that I didn’t believe for one minute that they were all going to be a success with us……I think most of us realised that.
    Yeah I agree with that. I meant more specifically those 2 as they came in so late that they were obviously brought in for a specific purpose in the squad. Will make sense if they're in the squad for Monday's games suppose.
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    Was at the game and it wasn’t pretty to watch. Aimless balls out of defence, our players slipping over and our passes going out of play or to their players. Yes we battled but very little means of actual playing neat football. Yet we could/should have won it if the line had seen the Dobson effort go over the line, the ref had seen the shirt pull on on Lapado for a penalty and if Alfie finishes the 1 on 1,
    The performances today and at Fleetwood show this squad of players won’t get us promoted next season - We need to get 5 or 6 better players to have a realistic chance of going for it next year.
    For our remaining games I would like to see us set up to play some decent attacking football and not the battling long ball stuff we’ve played the past month.
    Highlight today was meeting some old friends and family in the Imperial before the game - must be a lovely setting in the summer
    Have you thought we may be set as we are because that is the only way they can play. The squad and in recent seasons other squads we have had not good enough to play pretty effective passing football. That is why any time we try to play the short passing outfrom the back gets us into trouble.
  • Options
    Teams will target Watson at the far post…..need a more commanding keeper in the box….