Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD : Exeter City Vs Charlton Athletic : Good Friday 29th March 2024 : KO 15:00

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Re' Goal line technology - Gaffer tape a Ring Doorbell to each post and ping through the image to the ref when needed. Ze bosh
    This was obviously a joke, but can't see why a camara on each goal line has got to cost £200k as mentioned on the other thread. 
    Slightly off main topic, but I have a simple home security cam system. It records 24./7, pings an alert to my phone every time something passes it or creates a sound (not always ideal living in a city) 360' movement, night vision and all controlled by my phone. Cost £8.

Surely goal line technology cannot really be as expensive as suggested by the league. There must be some agenda surely. 
    It’s not one camera, it’s 5 at a minimum and in the Premier League it uses 7 per goal, they aren’t cheap cameras, they are 500fps cameras, which need to be run through a massive computer to process the images. You also need a team to calibrate the system at every game. You also need to upgrade the floodlighting at League 1 grounds to the standard of the Championship, especially around the goal mouth. 

It’s not cheap, and not simple. 
  • Options
    It seeme many are saying the same thing. Poor team with no creativity & no midfield so we have to resort to hoof hall. Therefore yet another overhaul in the summer is required. 

My fear is that such an overhaul will not be within the budget of the owners & although we will replace some players it wont be enough for even a top 6 challenge.

At least Jones says he wants 99% of it done before pre-season & so we will know where we are by early July rather than late August. 
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    Was at the game and it wasn’t pretty to watch. Aimless balls out of defence, our players slipping over and our passes going out of play or to their players. Yes we battled but very little means of actual playing neat football. Yet we could/should have won it if the line had seen the Dobson effort go over the line, the ref had seen the shirt pull on on Lapado for a penalty and if Alfie finishes the 1 on 1,
    The performances today and at Fleetwood show this squad of players won’t get us promoted next season - We need to get 5 or 6 better players to have a realistic chance of going for it next year.
    For our remaining games I would like to see us set up to play some decent attacking football and not the battling long ball stuff we’ve played the past month.
    Highlight today was meeting some old friends and family in the Imperial before the game - must be a lovely setting in the summer
    Was waiting for you to pop in mate on the way home, i guess security wouldn't let you in.
  • Options
    It seeme many are saying the same thing. Poor team with no creativity & no midfield so we have to resort to hoof hall. Therefore yet another overhaul in the summer is required. 

My fear is that such an overhaul will not be within the budget of the owners & although we will replace some players it wont be enough for even a top 6 challenge.

At least Jones says he wants 99% of it done before pre-season & so we will know where we are by early July rather than late August. 
    I'm less concerned that the budget won't be there. Only because no one has given a reason why it won't be and the owners have a much better idea after this season of what is required rather than having been taken in by the sales pitch.

I'm more concerned that curing the sick patient by replacing every dysfunctional organ will lead to a long recovery period, but we did similar under Powell successfully.
  • Options

‘Poor team’ is what the problem is. They are not poor players but they are not playing as a team and my guess is it’s because there are those players that blow hot and cold during the match and at times are prone to be less reliable during a game and more of a liability. If in the back of their mind a player feels like he can’t depend on a team mate then the gameplan goes to shit. If NJ can get his squad together by June then sorting out the weak links and trust issues will have more time.
  • Options
    16 draws now....next highest is 13.
  • Options
    edited March 30
    Considering we're playing 3 centre backs and 3 energetic midfielders, it's concerning we still can't keep clean sheets.

Because there are no obvious centre backs we can say are the weak link which will be fixed by replacing them. So the worry is, it's all of them.

Obviously the GK is a gimme for improvement though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have to agree with NJ completely.
    looked tired and as always wasted so many chances to score and win the game.
    NJs substitutions we’re spot on, as they usually are but overall a disappointing game 👎
  • Options
    Do we ever play well following an International Break ? 
  • Options
    edited March 30
    Do we ever play well ? 
    Do we ever play well? 
    Rarely for a full half.... 
    Rarer still for a full game... 
    Incomprehensible for a full season!!

Did we all dream a 101 points season in this god forsaken league? 
  • Options
    One thing the technology has shown at higher levels, is that the whole of the ball crossing the whole of the line is actually a higher threshold than the naked eye thinks. Shots which look clearly over the line turn out to be only 90% over the line, ditto that Japanese cross at the world cup which looked like it had crossed the line, and hadn't.
  • Options
    edited March 31
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I know Bakinson isn’t very popular here, but yet again he came on and made a difference. Dobson & Cov had poor games, and Exeter’s midfielders looked better quality, which is a worry. 
    Bakinson at least moves us forward and gets into good positions - and I think it was his cross to Aneke that led to the goal. 
    Anderson was poor again, and definitely needs a rest. It wouldn’t be good for his confidence to keep playing him when he’s off form.
    When NJ first took over, he rotated the midfield, whereas for the last few games he's played the same 3, and it hasn't been ideal.

Confused why Bakinson gets so few minutes, considering the impact he made at Cheltenham. What the situation is with Taylor, who isn't playing in the U21s either, and what the point of keeping L Watson and Fiorini is, if they're so far off the first team. They might as well be training with their parent clubs. And indeed what's happened to Camara, who should surely be fitter than a month ago.
    But isn't that an identical situation to Zach Mitchell's at Colchester ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 31
    One thing the technology has shown at higher levels, is that the whole of the ball crossing the whole of the line is actually a higher threshold than the naked eye thinks. Shots which look clearly over the line turn out to be only 90% over the line, ditto that Japanese cross at the world cup which looked like it had crossed the line, and hadn't.
    I agree with this and I suspect that if there was goal line technology for throw ins, there would be less of them, The problem with Saturday is the ref doesn't have to make a might it or might it not call but did it definitely cross the line. I feel it did but can't be 100% and nor could the officials. The ref can't give the goal in that case. 

I'm sure the technology isn't cheap and unless it is funded by the Premier League I think it is reasonable that League One clubs don't have it. And whilst maybe some clubs could implement it, it has to be all or none IMO.
  • Options
    I agree with this and I suspect that if there was goal line technology for throw ins, there would be less of them, The problem with Saturday is the ref doesn't have to make a might it or might it not call but did it definitely cross the line. I feel it did but can't be 100% and nor could the officials. The ref can't give the goal in that case. 

I'm sure the technology isn't cheap and unless it is funded by the Premier League I think it is reasonable that League One clubs don't have it. And whilst maybe some clubs could implement it, it has to be all or none IMO.
    Yesterday, Brennan Johnson had an attempt which looked easily over the line, but the technology showed that it was only 98% or whatever over. The Dobson shot could easily be in the same category. Both clearance by former Charlton players, as Doughty cleared the Spurs one!

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Re' Goal line technology - Gaffer tape a Ring Doorbell to each post and ping through the image to the ref when needed. Ze bosh
    This was obviously a joke, but can't see why a camara on each goal line has got to cost £200k as mentioned on the other thread. 
    Slightly off main topic, but I have a simple home security cam system. It records 24./7, pings an alert to my phone every time something passes it or creates a sound (not always ideal living in a city) 360' movement, night vision and all controlled by my phone. Cost £8.

Surely goal line technology cannot really be as expensive as suggested by the league. There must be some agenda surely. 
    It’s not one camera, it’s 5 at a minimum and in the Premier League it uses 7 per goal, they aren’t cheap cameras, they are 500fps cameras, which need to be run through a massive computer to process the images. You also need a team to calibrate the system at every game. You also need to upgrade the floodlighting at League 1 grounds to the standard of the Championship, especially around the goal mouth. 

Yet ever since the bill which will usher in the regulator was announced, I can hardly read or listen to a news medium without some clown coming on demanding to know why we want to regulate “one of Britain’s most successful global exports”. Of course these people are unaware or choose to ignore that there are 72 clubs not in the FAPL, and they don’t see 90% of the money generated by this “industry”. Yet yesterday a match between the teams placed 59th and 60th in the pyramid played to a capacity crowd. And there isn’t the money for goal line tech? Prrrlease. Of course the money for it could and should come from TV revenue currently purloined by the 20 FAPL clubs. The FA ought to be making that happen. Or it could finance it by a levy on agent fees for all transfers involving an EFL club. But it won’t because the FA is useless and pointless, that’s why we need an independent regulator who among other things will ensure fans are not short-changed for the lack of basic tech that is used all over the world and sometimes in games with less fans than the 8,000 at Exeter yesterday.
    Amazing how it’s always the Premier Leagues fault. 

The EFL could find it from their central revenue as they do in the Championship, but that’s doesn’t make a good rant.

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Yet ever since the bill which will usher in the regulator was announced, I can hardly read or listen to a news medium without some clown coming on demanding to know why we want to regulate “one of Britain’s most successful global exports”. Of course these people are unaware or choose to ignore that there are 72 clubs not in the FAPL, and they don’t see 90% of the money generated by this “industry”. Yet yesterday a match between the teams placed 59th and 60th in the pyramid played to a capacity crowd. And there isn’t the money for goal line tech? Prrrlease. Of course the money for it could and should come from TV revenue currently purloined by the 20 FAPL clubs. The FA ought to be making that happen. Or it could finance it by a levy on agent fees for all transfers involving an EFL club. But it won’t because the FA is useless and pointless, that’s why we need an independent regulator who among other things will ensure fans are not short-changed for the lack of basic tech that is used all over the world and sometimes in games with less fans than the 8,000 at Exeter yesterday.
    Good point well made
  • Options
    edited March 31
    I rather enjoyed the pre-match amble amongst the memories from Curbs, Brownie, Scott and Lisbie...the rest of the program was best forgotten...even the usually reliable Alfie couldn't cheer up proceedings, what a cock up that was in the last minute!!!
  • Options
    Pre-match was excellent 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Pre-match was excellent 
    Who knew Kevin Lisbie played for Jamaica, he should have said something…
  • Options
    Classy moment from Purrington when he came over to the Charlton fans at the side of the pitch for us to share in his goal celebrations 🙄
  • Options
    keeps the unbeaten show on the road, better a few boring draws than a few entertaining defeats, if not perhaps for those who are seeking the perfect performances
  • Options
    edited April 1