Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    New season officially starts tomorrow. My gut tells me there will be a TON of moving parts tomorrow 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Hal1x said:
    NabySarr said:
    So 2 of the favourites for promotion are both in for him. Can I again ask why on earth we are letting him go? 
    Because despite the spin, there is actually no ambition for promotion this season. Selling the leagues best striker to whoever pays the most (not nearly enough) confirms we can’t compete at the top. 
    So the owners just wanted to club together to pay millions for a piss poor team, in a piss poor league, in another country just for a tax loss? because why else would you be willing to spunk away millions to achieve nothing? really?! You could keep your hands in your pocket or treat yourself to a bigger yacht, and achieve the same result.

Could it be that the owners have been bullshitted?
    I think you do the businessman who bought us a disservice if you think they were that naive. People with successful business backgrounds usually have someone they trust to run their eye over an investment before parting with the cash. There are of course the weird owners like Sandgaard and Duchatelet who think they know it all and the crooks like the others we’ve had recently but I think our current owners are firmly in the former group. 
  • Options
    Don’t get this May transfer.. nailed on 25 goals a season plus assists, came to us to be near his family, now moving to Huddersfield because his wife is from Yorkshire, now is off to Birmingham. The club have to give 50% of the fee to Cheltenham. 
    Why you would sell the player who only knows where the back of the net to a potential promotion rival is beyond me.
    If it wasnt for May last season our local derby would be Bromley for 2024-25 
    It’s 15% of the profit we make .
  • Options
    For what it's worth... I think Alfies worth no more than 800k. If he's worth 3mil, I must be worth at least a McDs triple cheeseburger.
    Surely a guy who regularly scores 20+ goals in this division is worth more than 800k, should be at least 1.2m i think. Forget his age as well, he's 32 not 39, so hardly past it.
    Almost all transfers these days are conducted with a view to resale. Owners really don't like sanctioning expensive transfers for players they know they won't be able to sell on at a profit. Holden had to fight to get May in the first place because the owners felt it was a big outlay for a player they likely wouldn't get an profit from, which is an irony. The fact is next season Alfie May will be 32. It's possible that he scores 40 goals this season and Huddersfield still don't got up, but even then a Championship team would be hesitant to pay too much because he's still unproven at Championship level and if he doesn't make the grade they will lose out. If Huddersfield do go up with his goals then great for them, but at the end of it you're still going to end up making nothing back on this transfer and as much as we pursue success as fans, owners will always be looking at the balance sheet. 
    They will offset the sure thing he looks like on goals against taking a punt on a player for a similar or lower cost who might be a risk but also could end up being worth a lot more, someone like Ivan Toney or Ollie Watkins. The fact is, if Alfie May was 24 he'd be worth at least £1.2m, almost certainly more, but he also wouldn't be going to a L1 club. He's in an odd position where he's arrived so late that his resale is always ticking down and we're just not going to get an offer in the millions up front unless Birmingham really are rich and insane, which they don't appear to be in a useful way.
    Promotion is going to bring more funds in than worrying about a mark up on a player like May.  If we got promoted for instance our crowds will likely double with away followings in the Championship and our own increase.  Very likely sponsorship will bring in more and then their is the TV money running to millions more than League 1. 
    Yes, it would, but Alfie May brings goals, not promotions. We learned that ourselves this season; May has scored 20+ goals the last three seasons and each time those goals have been used to stave off relegation rather than secure promotion. Owners keeping an eye on the money will look at a good goalscorer who would potentially help with promotion and put him against a less proven but more resaleable younger player and history tells us they will lean more towards the player who is seen as both a financial and footballing asset. Monetarily a player like May is a burden; on the pitch he's great but unfortunately football club owners are dicks. Huddersfield are coming off the back of a horrible season where they need a big rebuild and they just aren't going to pay over £1m up front for one piece of that puzzle that they can't shift on for profit.
  • Options
    I am kind of worried about what loans might come in.
    We have had poor fortune with a lot of loans, with the additional aspect being they can get in the way of our developing players if they are simply hanging around.
    I think one way of looking at loans is if we ask why the parent club would loan them out. If it is like what we would do with Zach Mitchell then good, if it is like what we would do with Scott Fraser, then not good.
  • Options
    Seem to remember Lennie Lawrence realising hales in his first full season as manager got John Pearson in not a prolific goalscorer but it worked and we got promoted hopefully this will work out again. Shame really like May only him and Dobson were shinning light in our worst ever season. 
    Just hope it works out for us again. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Seem to remember Lennie Lawrence realising hales in his first full season as manager got John Pearson in not a prolific goalscorer but it worked and we got promoted hopefully this will work out again. Shame really like May only him and Dobson were shinning light in our worst ever season. 
    Hales left on a free transfer on deadline day at the end of March 1985 at the age of 33. 

During in his last season with us he scored 8 times in his first 8 league games but only went on to make a further 6 league games (2 of those from the bench) due to injuries

He had one season at Gillingham before retiring

Ronnie Moore also left the club at the end of that season. 

John Pearson was 21 when bought by Lennie from Sheffield Wednesday for £100,000
    Moore mostly played played at centre back that season. Iirc we offered him another contract but he preferred to move back north partly for family reasons. In some ways it was Steve Thompson who was signed to replace him 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:
    shirty5 said:
    Hales left on a free transfer on deadline day at the end of March 1985 at the age of 33. 

During in his last season with us he scored 8 times in his first 8 league games but only went on to make a further 6 league games (2 of those from the bench) due to injuries

Moore mostly played played at centre back that season. Iirc we offered him another contract but he preferred to move back north partly for family reasons. In some ways it was Steve Thompson who was signed to replace him 
    Moore was a mixture of up top or centre half
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Even though John got sold to Leeds for £70,000 during the following season he had done the job with his goals to help in our promotion. 

Another Lennie masterpiece 
    Didn't realise our Ronnie was an ex player...🙄
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Even though John got sold to Leeds for £70,000 during the following season he had done the job with his goals to help in our promotion. 

Another Lennie masterpiece 
    Didn't realise our Ronnie was an ex player...🙄

• Options
    edited June 30
    Oligab said:

I was more concerned with the lack of goals last season from midfield and set pieces .
    And tell me how that had been addressed so far ? 

One (ageing) midfielder that's all. Yes I know it's only the end of June but even Jones said that he'd like his squad assembled by the start of pre-season. Which is now. Yes, I know some transfers take longer than others & yes, there is still 2 months of the transfer window to go, but the players are off on their training camp & it would he nice to have your pivotal players in from the start.
  • Options
    Good question, I can only think that the quality he is looking for are not interested in joining Charlton at this moment and are holding out for Championship clubs but that may well change as we get nearer the start of the season.
  • Options
    edited June 30
    Oligab said:

I was more concerned with the lack of goals last season from midfield and set pieces .

One (ageing) midfielder that's all. Yes I know it's only the end of June but even Jones said that he'd like his squad assembled by the start of pre-season. Which is now. Yes, I know some transfers take longer than others & yes, there is still 2 months of the transfer window to go, but the players are off on their training camp & it would he nice to have your pivotal players in from the start.
    I'm sure someone would be able to tell us the incomings last season at this point Golfie. I didn't think the takeover was completed till July 1st 2023 and yes they got a lot of things hopelessly wrong. It seems that this time there is a more measured approach, it certainly seems that in Mitchell, Berry and Edwards that they are actually fit to play first team football, have not had a serious injury in the last twelve months and have no issues that would prevent them playing. As for Alfie, I'm resigned, disappointingly, to his departure, but with that departure comes the biggest challenge, how do you replace that level of goal scoring in a team that doesn't score goals from anywhere else ?     
  • Options
    For what it's worth... I think Alfies worth no more than 800k. If he's worth 3mil, I must be worth at least a McDs triple cheeseburger.
    Surely a guy who regularly scores 20+ goals in this division is worth more than 800k, should be at least 1.2m i think. Forget his age as well, he's 32 not 39, so hardly past it.
    Well we paid a lot less than that a year ago!
    Yes but some players are just suited to a certain club and style, however May has now proved he can do it at two different clubs. Also we have a club after him who supposedly have a huge transfer budget and are the title favourites, so that should automatically bump the price up a bit.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Oligab said:

I'm sure someone would be able to tell us the incomings last season at this point Golfie. I didn't think the takeover was completed till July 1st 2023 and yes they got a lot of things hopelessly wrong. It seems that this time there is a more measured approach, it certainly seems that in Mitchell, Berry and Edwards that they actually fit to play first team football, have not had a serious injury in the last twelve months and have no issues that would prevent them playing. As for Alfie, I'm resigned, disappointingly, to his departure, but with that departure comes the biggest challenge, how do you replace that level of goal scoring in a team that doesn't score goals from anywhere else ?     
    If and when May goes then from last season then the top goalscorers in all competitions (Who are left at the club) would be Kanu and Leaburn with 7 (Loans and injuries to be considered of course) and T Campbell with 4
  • Options
    He did bring Jim Melrose in a little while later to get the goals though. There were players in that team that could score goals, such as Robert Lee and Mark Stuart, which is what we lack as our midfield doesn't seem to have a goal in it. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Bailey said:
    Oligab said:

I'm sure someone would be able to tell us the incomings last season at this point Golfie. I didn't think the takeover was completed till July 1st 2023 and yes they got a lot of things hopelessly wrong. It seems that this time there is a more measured approach, it certainly seems that in Mitchell, Berry and Edwards that they actually fit to play first team football, have not had a serious injury in the last twelve months and have no issues that would prevent them playing. As for Alfie, I'm resigned, disappointingly, to his departure, but with that departure comes the biggest challenge, how do you replace that level of goal scoring in a team that doesn't score goals from anywhere else ?     
    If and when May goes then from last season then the top goalscorers in all competitions (Who are left at the club) would be Kanu and Leaburn with 7 (Loans and injuries to be considered of course) and T Campbell with 4
    But unless we get in our striker targets and there are two of them that we’re working on, Alfie won’t be going anywhere. I’m confident it will all happen but just like a lot in life quite when things come together is often as much in the hands of others as your own. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Almost all transfers these days are conducted with a view to resale. Owners really don't like sanctioning expensive transfers for players they know they won't be able to sell on at a profit. Holden had to fight to get May in the first place because the owners felt it was a big outlay for a player they likely wouldn't get an profit from, which is an irony. The fact is next season Alfie May will be 32. It's possible that he scores 40 goals this season and Huddersfield still don't got up, but even then a Championship team would be hesitant to pay too much because he's still unproven at Championship level and if he doesn't make the grade they will lose out. If Huddersfield do go up with his goals then great for them, but at the end of it you're still going to end up making nothing back on this transfer and as much as we pursue success as fans, owners will always be looking at the balance sheet. 
    They will offset the sure thing he looks like on goals against taking a punt on a player for a similar or lower cost who might be a risk but also could end up being worth a lot more, someone like Ivan Toney or Ollie Watkins. The fact is, if Alfie May was 24 he'd be worth at least £1.2m, almost certainly more, but he also wouldn't be going to a L1 club. He's in an odd position where he's arrived so late that his resale is always ticking down and we're just not going to get an offer in the millions up front unless Birmingham really are rich and insane, which they don't appear to be in a useful way.
    Promotion is going to bring more funds in than worrying about a mark up on a player like May.  If we got promoted for instance our crowds will likely double with away followings in the Championship and our own increase.  Very likely sponsorship will bring in more and then their is the TV money running to millions more than League 1. 
    Yes, it would, but Alfie May brings goals, not promotions. We learned that ourselves this season; May has scored 20+ goals the last three seasons and each time those goals have been used to stave off relegation rather than secure promotion. Owners keeping an eye on the money will look at a good goalscorer who would potentially help with promotion and put him against a less proven but more resaleable younger player and history tells us they will lean more towards the player who is seen as both a financial and footballing asset. Monetarily a player like May is a burden; on the pitch he's great but unfortunately football club owners are dicks. Huddersfield are coming off the back of a horrible season where they need a big rebuild and they just aren't going to pay over £1m up front for one piece of that puzzle that they can't shift on for profit.
    To state that May could not be part of a promotion is a bit of a stretch.  The guy has played for lower level clubs that don't have the expectation of promotion from Div 1.   Last season our problem was a leaky defence and not a strong enough or creative enough midfield, I don't see that is a reflection of May last season. 

The main point was if he goes to Birmingham or Huddersfield and they do get promoted they will be more than happy with the wealth gained from that, than worry about a mark up.

I do agree that most owners are dicks however especially ours over the last decade.
    It would be a stretch, but fortunately I didn't say that. What I did say is that he guarantees - or as near as you can to that - goals, not promotions. As I said, Huddersfield will need to rebuild after a shocking season, so they will need to rebuild the leaky defence and the weak midfield that got them relegated. That costs, and the owners will be offsetting that against spending a lot on a player they can't realise any profit on. I'm talking purely from the perspective of an owner who won't just jump ahead to 'if we get promoted it'll be worth it' but will look to sign a player who could be part of a promotion squad AND resold at a profit, and that's what will limit May's fee for us
  • Options
    edited June 30
    If a 20 goals a season player does not fit the way Jones wants to set his team up then change the system or better still try your system elsewhere there are plenty more good managers out there 
    Like the tail wagging the dog then...🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    If May will not go until we have a replacement and they do not come for another week or two, will May play in our pre season games and go away with the squad to our overseas training camp?
  • Options
    If a 20 goals a season player does not fit the way Jones wants to set his team up then change the system or better still try your system elsewhere there are plenty more good managers out there 
    Alfie??
  • Options
    Sod the rest of the team, having one player be able to score 20 goals is the single most important thing in football.

Never mind that we just conceded 100 and got relegated, we won in what’s REALLY important: having the bloke who won the golden boot playing up front.
  • Options
    Loving this "rumours" thread🙄
    If only we had some to talk about...🤷‍♂️