Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Evidently we are considering making a move for Bishop of Lincoln….Stephen Conway.
    I thought this was worth a good few LOL’s but didn’t get a single one……..Conway being The actual Bishop of Lincoln…..not the one who plays for Lincoln. Ya miserable bunch of bastards.

Taxi for SoundAs.🙂
    Shameless lol farming, simply by bashing the bishop.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Evidently we are considering making a move for Bishop of Lincoln….Stephen Conway.
    I thought this was worth a good few LOL’s but didn’t get a single one……..Conway being The actual Bishop of Lincoln…..not the one who plays for Lincoln. Ya miserable bunch of bastards.

Taxi for SoundAs.🙂
    Kids these days. Don't even know their upper mid-level church of England bishops. Country's going to the dogs.
    I blame the immigrants
  • Options
    its exactly the same as last year, why could we buy him for 250k, why do champ clubs not want him, maybe he has attitude problem not jones.
    I was beginning to wonder whether Alfie is a bit troublesome in the dressing room and doesn't get on with the other players.
    I think we’re over complicating it all with May. 
    He’s a goal scorer and a personality - that’s it! He is limited in his ability in every other part of his game, physically, technically and tactically lacking.

NJ wants a more complete profile of player for whatever his vision of our system & style will be. 
    Don’t get me wrong, his goals have been important for us, I’d prefer if he stayed but not overly fussed if he doesn’t.

Looking forward to it all unfolding!
    I think technically lacking is harsh, when he dropped back into the 10 role he sprayed some wonderful passes and through balls last year, also has a cracking touch. Physically is probably the only one you can fairly hold against him he does get bullied by big centre backs and we had no plan b when chuks was injured.
    I think that’s part of the problem though, May wants to roam around into wide areas, drop back to get on the ball etc which I don’t think Jones is happy with. He wants his strikers to stay in position when we have the ball, and for May that would mean to stay on the last line and run the channels, like Kanu was doing. 
  • Options
    edited June 30
    its exactly the same as last year, why could we buy him for 250k, why do champ clubs not want him, maybe he has attitude problem not jones.
    I was beginning to wonder whether Alfie is a bit troublesome in the dressing room and doesn't get on with the other players.
    I think we’re over complicating it all with May. 
    He’s a goal scorer and a personality - that’s it! He is limited in his ability in every other part of his game, physically, technically and tactically lacking.

NJ wants a more complete profile of player for whatever his vision of our system & style will be. 
    Don’t get me wrong, his goals have been important for us, I’d prefer if he stayed but not overly fussed if he doesn’t.

Looking forward to it all unfolding!
    I think technically lacking is harsh, when he dropped back into the 10 role he sprayed some wonderful passes and through balls last year, also has a cracking touch. Physically is probably the only one you can fairly hold against him he does get bullied by big centre backs and we had no plan b when chuks was injured.
    I think if we could play him as a spare man, with a licence to roam it would work, trouble is we are deficient in many other areas so we cant really spare anyone. Perhaps with a 100% Aneke we would have a chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do also think it felt like Alfie lost half a yard of pace in the second part of the season. First few months he seemed electric but as the season went on he was getting beaten for pace by defenders more often. 

Hard to say if that was due to fatigue or age starting to catch up with him.
    The risk with anyone that age is that at some point they tend to drop off a cliff like Ben Watson. I guess that’s all factored in. 
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    NabySarr said:
    So 2 of the favourites for promotion are both in for him. Can I again ask why on earth we are letting him go? 
    Because despite the spin, there is actually no ambition for promotion this season. Selling the leagues best striker to whoever pays the most (not nearly enough) confirms we can’t compete at the top. 
    So the owners just wanted to club together to pay millions for a piss poor team, in a piss poor league, in another country just for a tax loss? because why else would you be willing to spunk away millions to achieve nothing? really?! You could keep your hands in your pocket or treat yourself to a bigger yacht, and achieve the same result.

Could it be that the owners have been bullshitted?
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    So, once the dust has settled and May is plying his trade elsewhere and scoring the winner against us and condemning us to another campaign in L1. Will we ever get the truth behind his leaving?

Will Jones or the SMT be asked to explain their reasoning, tell the truth? Or will it be the party line?
    Jones don't think he fits his teams playing style. Thats it!
    Alfie May outlived both Holden & Appleton. If he stays & sees out his contract (and if we activated the extra year) its almost a certainty he'd outlive Jones too.

Managers come & go. If we went ditching players just because they didnt fit in with a certain playing style then we'd be rebuilding our squad twice a year. 😄

We do rebuild twice a year 😂
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    NabySarr said:
    So 2 of the favourites for promotion are both in for him. Can I again ask why on earth we are letting him go? 
    Because despite the spin, there is actually no ambition for promotion this season. Selling the leagues best striker to whoever pays the most (not nearly enough) confirms we can’t compete at the top. 
    So the owners just wanted to club together to pay millions for a piss poor team, in a piss poor league, in another country just for a tax loss? because why else would you be willing to spunk away millions to achieve nothing? really?! You could keep your hands in your pocket or treat yourself to a bigger yacht, and achieve the same result.

Been plenty who think they're the cleverest one in the room and can achieve success without spending loads.

We've had quite a few.

The money men may well have been spun a line about how we'll do that.
  • Options
    For what it's worth... I think Alfies worth no more than 800k. If he's worth 3mil, I must be worth at least a McDs triple cheeseburger.
    Surely a guy who regularly scores 20+ goals in this division is worth more than 800k, should be at least 1.2m i think. Forget his age as well, he's 32 not 39, so hardly past it.
    Almost all transfers these days are conducted with a view to resale. Owners really don't like sanctioning expensive transfers for players they know they won't be able to sell on at a profit. Holden had to fight to get May in the first place because the owners felt it was a big outlay for a player they likely wouldn't get an profit from, which is an irony. The fact is next season Alfie May will be 32. It's possible that he scores 40 goals this season and Huddersfield still don't got up, but even then a Championship team would be hesitant to pay too much because he's still unproven at Championship level and if he doesn't make the grade they will lose out. If Huddersfield do go up with his goals then great for them, but at the end of it you're still going to end up making nothing back on this transfer and as much as we pursue success as fans, owners will always be looking at the balance sheet. 
    They will offset the sure thing he looks like on goals against taking a punt on a player for a similar or lower cost who might be a risk but also could end up being worth a lot more, someone like Ivan Toney or Ollie Watkins. The fact is, if Alfie May was 24 he'd be worth at least £1.2m, almost certainly more, but he also wouldn't be going to a L1 club. He's in an odd position where he's arrived so late that his resale is always ticking down and we're just not going to get an offer in the millions up front unless Birmingham really are rich and insane, which they don't appear to be in a useful way.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    So, once the dust has settled and May is plying his trade elsewhere and scoring the winner against us and condemning us to another campaign in L1. Will we ever get the truth behind his leaving?

Will Jones or the SMT be asked to explain their reasoning, tell the truth? Or will it be the party line?
    Jones don't think he fits his teams playing style. Thats it!
    Alfie May outlived both Holden & Appleton. If he stays & sees out his contract (and if we activated the extra year) its almost a certainty he'd outlive Jones too.

Managers come & go. If we went ditching players just because they didnt fit in with a certain playing style then we'd be rebuilding our squad twice a year. 😄

And there is the reason why we’ve been an embarrassment of a club for the last however many years. Players outliving 3-4 managers in one season. 

I repeat that I’d prefer May to stay but they’ve actually brought in a real manager and told him that he can build the team how he chooses. If he feels it’s right and can use the money wisely then the club should back him or else we’re looking for another manager again because he walks.

Hopefully, even if we don’t get promoted next season which I don’t think many of us realistically think will happen, we can then just add 2-3 to the existing squad and be stronger again the year after.
  • Options
    We can buy him back next season when Huddersfield go up  :)
  • Options
    For what it's worth... I think Alfies worth no more than 800k. If he's worth 3mil, I must be worth at least a McDs triple cheeseburger.
    Surely a guy who regularly scores 20+ goals in this division is worth more than 800k, should be at least 1.2m i think. Forget his age as well, he's 32 not 39, so hardly past it.
    Well we paid a lot less than that a year ago!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Why does Jones need to explain , we seen May does not fit into his style he wants to play and has been honest with him … Jones and only Jones has made the decision that selling Alfie someone we paid 250,000 for 12 months ago who is another year older for 800,000-1 mill will
    enable him with the budget all ready in the pot to get better players in the key areas that we want … Jones explaining will be done on the pitch and if we are challenging the top 6 spots through out the season then his decision would have been the correct one. 

• Options
    I do also think it felt like Alfie lost half a yard of pace in the second part of the season. First few months he seemed electric but as the season went on he was getting beaten for pace by defenders more often. 

We saw a massive diff in him under Jones his much was that down to Jones just not liking him as a player , or the fall out they had and has all this unsettled his home life hence the misses moving back up north … but there was a diff under Jones , he looked a better player under Appleton 
  • Options
    If we get £750k for May and go out and buy a striker for £750k-1.5m, then I will accept it was fair on the fans. However, if we recruit 1 or 2, 30-something journeyman who have banged in an average 5 goals a season playing 15-20 games as a sub in a lower league team, underwhelmed will be an understatement. If the club really want me to come around to their plan (and view that May isn't good enough for the 'New Team'), then it needs to look like ambition, rather than a distinct lack of financial capability to compete with like sized clubs.

I'm no snob, but we aren't in the same status league as Burton, Morecambe, Fleetwood etc. That gives us no right to more success than them, but it does mean we can attract the better players, albeit at higher wages, that might not be attracted to other smaller League One clubs over those in the Championship.

If May goes (and NJ says we are under no pressure to sell) then we need a marquee striker coming in, anything less and his own soundbites will become rather more old regime. 
  • Options
    edited June 30
    seth plum said:
    Hal1x said:
    NabySarr said:

Could it be that the owners have been bullshitted?

I think this is the likely scenario, they’ve put their trust in Charlie and he’s claimed he can get promotion at a fraction of the price. The clowns he appointed have failed and he’s told the owners he will have to run the club on a day to day basis to sort it out. Even though he said in one of the first interviews he realised running a football club is not one of his strengths.
  • Options

Thanks Mr Jones 
  • Options
    Almost all transfers these days are conducted with a view to resale. Owners really don't like sanctioning expensive transfers for players they know they won't be able to sell on at a profit. Holden had to fight to get May in the first place because the owners felt it was a big outlay for a player they likely wouldn't get an profit from, which is an irony. The fact is next season Alfie May will be 32. It's possible that he scores 40 goals this season and Huddersfield still don't got up, but even then a Championship team would be hesitant to pay too much because he's still unproven at Championship level and if he doesn't make the grade they will lose out. If Huddersfield do go up with his goals then great for them, but at the end of it you're still going to end up making nothing back on this transfer and as much as we pursue success as fans, owners will always be looking at the balance sheet. 
    They will offset the sure thing he looks like on goals against taking a punt on a player for a similar or lower cost who might be a risk but also could end up being worth a lot more, someone like Ivan Toney or Ollie Watkins. The fact is, if Alfie May was 24 he'd be worth at least £1.2m, almost certainly more, but he also wouldn't be going to a L1 club. He's in an odd position where he's arrived so late that his resale is always ticking down and we're just not going to get an offer in the millions up front unless Birmingham really are rich and insane, which they don't appear to be in a useful way.
    Promotion is going to bring more funds in than worrying about a mark up on a player like May.  If we got promoted for instance our crowds will likely double with away followings in the Championship and our own increase.  Very likely sponsorship will bring in more and then their is the TV money running to millions more than Div 1.