Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    mart77 said:
    Sorry if it’s been covered but Ian maatsen  has been sold for 37 million, are we genuinely due money from that or is that speculation? 
    The fee only came if he signed abroad.
    Remind me, how do we get a development fee for a player who was only ever on loan to us ?
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Oh,I am gonna love reading the Udders getting into meltdown over this...😂😂😂
    Be even funnier if they get him, only to get the version that played for Doncaster.

Imagine spending all that money on a 20+ goal striker, only to get barely any return out of him... All that gloating they'd no doubt regret.
    58 in 141 ain't too shabby.
    He played most of his Donny games on the wing.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    mart77 said:
    Sorry if it’s been covered but Ian maatsen  has been sold for 37 million, are we genuinely due money from that or is that speculation? 
    Remind me, how do we get a development fee for a player who was only ever on loan to us ?
    It was some weird thing to do with how loan clubs play a part in the players development but apparently it is only if they go abroad when sold. Think it wasn’t a huge payment but suggested on here that it was over £100k
  • Options
    Birmingham, really? I grew up in coventry and was pleased to say i'd never been to birmingham until this current job, now 3 years ago. And I thought Cov was a shithole 😂
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    So 2 of the favourites for promotion are both in for him. Can I again ask why on earth we are letting him go? 
    Relegated clubs are nearly always favourites for promotion, unless they come down with points deductions and/or embargoes.

Perhaps the question to ask is what the three clubs that want Alfie (Charlton, Birmingham and Huddersfield) have had in common in their ownerships the last few years.

Why are the well run clubs not in for him? Why is it the ones with money to spend but are yet to prove they can spend it wisely?
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    mart77 said:
    Supposedly, it is because he was U24 at the time and a loan counts as helping with his development.

Not something I was aware of but it came from a qualified football agent so inclined to believe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 29
    NabySarr said:
    So 2 of the favourites for promotion are both in for him. Can I again ask why on earth we are letting him go? 
    Relegated clubs are nearly always favourites for promotion, unless they come down with points deductions and/or embargoes.

Perhaps the question to ask is what the three clubs that want Alfie (Charlton, Birmingham and Huddersfield) have had in common in their ownerships the last few years.

Why are the well run clubs not in for him? Why is it the ones with money to spend but are yet to prove they can spend it wisely?
    So if we were ‘well run’ like you say and didn’t sign him? We’d be preparing for a league 2 campaign 

Birmingham have shitloads of money so are probably just signing him because they can and it makes a statement 

But for Huddersfield surely you can see it’s a smart signing that fits the system they are playing and the manager they have? 

I’m pretty confident whichever one he signs for will finish above us, and the other probably still will anyway 
  • Options
    edited June 29
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

So if we were ‘well run’ like you say and didn’t sign him? We’d be preparing for a league 2 campaign 

Birmingham have shitloads of money so are probably just signing him because they can and it makes a statement 

But for Huddersfield surely you can see it’s a smart signing that fits the system they are playing and the manager they have? 

I’m pretty confident whichever one he signs for will finish above us, and the other probably still will anyway 
    It’s never a case of Alfie or nothing. Like some seem to think if he wasn’t around we’d have spent the season playing with 10 men…

To answer the question… Depends how far you want to go back but if the club was well run, we’d have never resigned Chuks for a start. We’d have a proper target man that can stay fit, hold up the ball and keep the pressure off the defenders.

We would have prioritised bringing in better than resigning Hector and Thomas because they were just there and we’d already blown most of the budget on Alfie… etc etc

Mitchell and Edwards etc. are not sexy signings like a goalscorer is. But they’ll be just as impactful in terms of winning games.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

It’s never a case of Alfie or nothing. Like some seem to think if he wasn’t around we’d have spent the season playing with 10 men…

To answer the question… Depends how far you want to go back but if the club was well run, we’d have never resigned Chuks for a start. We’d have a proper target man that can stay fit, hold up the ball and keep the pressure off the defenders.

We would have prioritised bringing in better than resigning Hector and Thomas because they were just there and we’d already blown most of the budget on Alfie… etc etc

Mitchell and Edwards etc. are not sexy signings like a goalscorer is. But they’ll be just as impactful in terms of winning games.
    You genuinely don't know that.  You HOPE that.
    Alfie May guarantees goals and ergo.... points.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    In case I've missed it, what percentage do Cheltenham get in the transfer ? 
    75,000 pounds 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    mart77 said:
    Supposedly, it is because he was U24 at the time and a loan counts as helping with his development.

Not something I was aware of but it came from a qualified football agent so inclined to believe.

So should Gomez be sold abroad, would we get the Development Fee AS WELL AS the contracted add ons?
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    mart77 said:

So should Gomez be sold abroad, would we get the Development Fee AS WELL AS the contracted add ons?
    Yes
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Scoham said:
    The sun is shining, the birds are singing, rather than having zero rumours on here today, and 200 posts about Alfie May, can we not just close the thread for a day?
    Or move on to who our new strikers will be - one being a replacement and another as we needed one regardless of whether May was sold.

Cawley said we wanted signings sorted first so we should be close to at least one new striker.

Ahadme, Etete and Godden have been mentioned, any other realistic alternatives? I’m ignoring the strikers linked by nonsense Twitter accounts.

That's been Rich's line all along tbf, but doesn't sound like we've got any one lined up at as an advanced stage as bids being accepted. 
    How do you know that’s the case?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mart77 said:
    Bailey said:
    mart77 said:
    It was some weird thing to do with how loan clubs play a part in the players development but apparently it is only if they go abroad when sold. Think it wasn’t a huge payment but suggested on here that it was over £100k
    Mart, I'm not saying you are wrong but I have never heard of that regulation and would be stunned if true. 
  • Options
    All I can add is that it exists in Football Manager…
  • Options
    edited June 29
    I'm not using pro-rata to win an argument, just facts.

Melrose scored 17 goals the following season for Charlton. In the league above and against much harder opposition. He was a proven goal scorer.

I'm telling you now, Charlton won't go up without a 20+ goal scorer.

Its not a fact is it, fact is Charlton got promoted in 85 without a 20+ striker, doesn't matter what Melrose did the season after.
  • Options
    edited June 29
    Bailey said:
    mart77 said:
    Bailey said:
    mart77 said:
    Mart, I'm not saying you are wrong but I have never heard of that regulation and would be stunned if true. 
    It’s called a Solidarity Payment and it’s from FIFA

https://wdassocies.com/en/fifa-solidarity-contribution

but ot applicable if the player moves to a different country
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    CoveredEndAndy said:

If you are using pro-rata to win your argument then Ahadma who we are rumoured to be after scored 11 in 19 games last season, so hes a perfect replacement for Alfie, he would of scored 26,  

PopIcon said:
    I posted this on the Alfie May thread yesterday, but i thought i'd share it again here.

Charlton don't do promotions without a goal scorer, it's a fact. To move May on without a proven goal scorer coming in lacks ambition and we are right to question Jones and the owners.

28/29 - Fred Whitlow 26
    34/35 - Ralph Alan 33
    35/36 - Harrold Hobbis 23
    74/75 - Derek Hales 21
    80/81 - Derek Hales 23
    85/85 - Jimmy Melrose* (pro-rata) 20
    97/98 - Clive Mendonca 28
    99/00 - Andy Hunt 25
    11/12 - Bradley Wright-Phillips 22
    18/19 - Lyle Taylor 25

*Melrose's debut was on the 29th of March against Millwall in a 2-2 draw at the Draw  

I'm not using pro-rata to win an argument, just facts.

Melrose scored 17 goals the following season for Charlton. In the league above and against much harder opposition. He was a proven goal scorer.

I'm telling you now, Charlton won't go up without a 20+ goal scorer.
    You sound like me.

However, for me it goes deeper. Its not just about losing our top goalscorer but it's the fact we still need to sign a number of players that can score from midfield as well as create a number of chances for others. Last season we had neither. I realise we signed Berry but we need more than just one new midfielder.

Until I see 3 or 4 of these I fear we are in for another disappointing season. 
    I sound you, Golfie? 

@AFKABartram please remove me from the forum with an immediate life ban.
    Nah...there's only one Golfie...🤦‍♂️