Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Replacing May with Godden to me just says it was never about May not fitting the style, Godden is a very similar player, this is about budget.

Jones thinks we need a bigger budget so has decided to sell May and replace with Godden. If our budget was better, we’d still have May 
    Godden will be on more wages than May
  • Options
    PWADDICK said:
    NabySarr said:
    Replacing May with Godden to me just says it was never about May not fitting the style, Godden is a very similar player, this is about budget.

Jones thinks we need a bigger budget so has decided to sell May and replace with Godden. If our budget was better, we’d still have May 
    Godden will be on more wages than May
    Probably on similar, but the £800k fee is more what I was talking about 
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    Chunes said:
    I'm starting to wonder if signing Godden adds up. I thought Jones wanted bigger, more athletic strikers than May? Godden is the same height as Alfie.
    Some sites have him as 5’7 some have him as 5’11 if someone knows a cov fan can they ask. Always thought he was bigger than 5’7 so not the same height as May.
    I’ve met him, I’m about 6ft3 and I would have Godden at about 5ft9
  • Options
    edited July 2
    it’s all well & good the club saying we’re being ‘bold’ in the transfer market and making offers for in demand players with other options I.e. JCH, Aaron Collins, Adam Davies etc

….but if you don’t actually have the wage budget & ability to sign any of them then it’s just bollox & time wasted.
    So we should go after the shit players no won else wants.
    Good plan. 
    We should go for realistic signings that are good enough to get us out of this league rather than aiming for Aaron Collins type players (that can “play in the championship”) but are never ever going to sign for a shit show like Charlton than just had their lowest finish for 98 yrs.

Players like Dan Kemp & Elliott Ward would have been ideal & improved us this summer but have signed for Stevenage & Burton instead. We’re missing out on the good realistic options out there whilst we keep aiming too high & ending up with no-one (hence why we’ve only signed two first team starters & are miles behind on our hopes / plans for this summer)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2
    ButtleJR said:
    Watched some clips on godden the other day, his all round game is far better than May's. He's a bit taller than may (5ft9/10) and scores quite a few headers in his clips. Runs all day and is also a local lad. On the surface it looks good business to me if we can bring in him and a younger striker with the may money. 
    In what way is his all round game far better than May’s? (genuinely asking, I don’t know much about him).
  • Options
    May plays like a lone wolf so maybe Godden is better to play with in a pair and probably better helping the youngsters in Leaburn & Kanu. Could really improve the forward  play with his experience and nous so maybe that overall is better. Be interesting to watch this next season 
  • Options
    Other thing with Godden is that he is a Charlton fan who has also scored in a win vs Millwall...
    I think someone who knows Godden's in-laws has previously confirmed that he's not a Charlton fan, I've heard it before but not sure where it's come from, maybe the fact he's from Kent 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    I can’t see how people are saying ‘it’s good business’ to sell the league’s best striker and to a rival club in the same league.
    That’s bad business particularly as it doesn’t appear to be about May’s stature as we’re signing another bloke who is the same height and build. 

He’s definitely looks bigger than May and scores headers. But it’s who else we strengthen around him with the money which will count .
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    May is gone, the important thing is what happens now.  We need someone through the door to lift the squad and the fans, that isn't Godden.  
    Why not played  at a higher level then May better work rate in and outside the box stupid comment 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2
    The thing I think Jones would prefer in Godden over May is that Godden is more of a "professional" inasmuch as May was something of a late bloomer. Godden is more likely to be the type to play in a system and do a job for the team where May could be seen as more maverick and less disciplined, which to Jones is probably something of an issue.

I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with this logic and arguably May's nature is what makes him effective - plus you have questions of pace/fitness/age etc with Godden. But I would say that the Godden signing seems to fit with Jones' MO - whether that ends up working or not.

Plus we still need one more striker and did even before May goes.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Godden a diff type of player , holds the ball better , stronger and better work rate which is what Jones wants from his strikers 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    cfgs said:
    May is gone, the important thing is what happens now.  We need someone through the door to lift the squad and the fans, that isn't Godden.  
    We've swapped Alfie May for Godden

I don't understand

Godden doesn't fit the profile of striker Jones wants (allegedly) @DubaiCAFC ?   Care to explain?

If it isn't about money why Godden when May has 20+ goals 3 seasons running?!
    Issue is, agent of May was making other clubs aware that May wasn't happy at Charlton for whatever reason.. May doesn't like Jones style, and wanted to leave.. Jones couldn't and wouldn't guarantee he would be week in week out start. Charlton are getting a good deal, May is getting an even better deal, just feels like it is a good deal for all.

Godden in my opinion is a good replacement for May, similar type of player and done the goods at a higher-level and is happy to fight for his place. 

As Ben said in his baking cake statement, let's see where we are at the end of the window.. You have to remember, every single club is battling for players, some will come and some won't that is football for you.. But for me, the profile of players we have signed so far is what we need to be doing, they are a good age, points to prove.   
    From what I was told from a trustworthy source, May was fine to stay and see out his contract at a minimum, and it was Jones decision for him to leave. 

It would then be the agents job to ask around at who would like to sign his newly available player. You make it sound like the agent made first move, that is not what I was told. 
    So see out his contract and we get nothing next season or cash In for 1m and reinvest in the squad. No brainer
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Watched some clips on godden the other day, his all round game is far better than May's. He's a bit taller than may (5ft9/10) and scores quite a few headers in his clips. Runs all day and is also a local lad. On the surface it looks good business to me if we can bring in him and a younger striker with the may money. 
    In what way is his all round game far better than May’s? (genuinely asking, I don’t know much about him).
    He seems to have more of a physical side to his game, holding up the ball and challenging defenders for headers
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    cfgs said:
    We've swapped Alfie May for Godden

I don't understand

Godden doesn't fit the profile of striker Jones wants (allegedly) @DubaiCAFC ?   Care to explain?

If it isn't about money why Godden when May has 20+ goals 3 seasons running?!
    Issue is, agent of May was making other clubs aware that May wasn't happy at Charlton for whatever reason.. May doesn't like Jones style, and wanted to leave.. Jones couldn't and wouldn't guarantee he would be week in week out start. Charlton are getting a good deal, May is getting an even better deal, just feels like it is a good deal for all.

Godden in my opinion is a good replacement for May, similar type of player and done the goods at a higher-level and is happy to fight for his place. 

As Ben said in his baking cake statement, let's see where we are at the end of the window.. You have to remember, every single club is battling for players, some will come and some won't that is football for you.. But for me, the profile of players we have signed so far is what we need to be doing, they are a good age, points to prove.   
    From what I was told from a trustworthy source, May was fine to stay and see out his contract at a minimum, and it was Jones decision for him to leave. 

It would then be the agents job to ask around at who would like to sign his newly available player. You make it sound like the agent made first move, that is not what I was told. 
    So see out his contract and we get nothing next season or cash In for 1m and reinvest in the squad. No brainer
    The club also had a one year option after the 2 years was up

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/done-deal-alfie-may-addick
  • Options
    I think it’ll work well with Godden. 
    Would still like a keeper and a creative midfielder.