Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Someone claiming on another forum that a striker completed a medical yesterday after a deal was agreed over the weekend.

Would fit with Dubai saying Godden is as good as done.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Someone claiming on another forum that a striker completed a medical yesterday after a deal was agreed over the weekend.

Would fit with Dubai saying Godden is as good as done.
    He will have a hell of a lot to live up to.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Bit on Davies.. So he had agreed a deal to sign for us, but then for the last 10 days, he was meant to come down to complete medical and sign the contract, but every day another excuse, then late last week, he said other opportunities haver come to light, and want to explore, then asked for more money.. He well and truly f****d us about.. We move on.. It is now silly season, will be a lot of agreements but don't progress.. But that is the football industry for you.. 
    That's why best to get signings done early as possible. The closer to season starting the sillier it gets with signings etc. 
    But also players realise they need to sign somewhere, if they are out of contract.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Bit on Davies.. So he had agreed a deal to sign for us, but then for the last 10 days, he was meant to come down to complete medical and sign the contract, but every day another excuse, then late last week, he said other opportunities haver come to light, and want to explore, then asked for more money.. He well and truly f****d us about.. We move on.. It is now silly season, will be a lot of agreements but don't progress.. But that is the football industry for you.. 
    That's why best to get signings done early as possible. The closer to season starting the sillier it gets with signings etc. 
    But also players realise they need to sign somewhere, if they are out of contract.
    Also true, but depends on who is left available, we don't want another season where our first and even second choices have signed elsewhere, and we're left scrambling for anyone, and end up signing those who aren't fit again. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Certainly not for one of trying... Players like to keep options open, unless a complete desire to join a certain club! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it’s all well & good the club saying we’re being ‘bold’ in the transfer market and making offers for in demand players with other options I.e. JCH, Aaron Collins, Adam Davies etc

….but if you don’t actually have the wage budget & ability to sign any of them then it’s just bollox & time wasted.
    So we should go after the shit players no won else wants.
    Good plan. 
  • Options
    I got a message yesterday saying we're in for Joe Lumley from Southampton. I thought it was bull as I thought we were going to sign Davies but maybe it's true. Unreliable source to be honest but thought I'd share. 
    You sure it wasn’t Joanna Lumley?
  • Options
    Godden for May seems daft on paper. Yes Godden is a good player, but older than May and hasn't scored 60 goals across the last 3 seasons. However if NJ is also bringing in a top quality stiker, like Ahadme for example, as well as, then fair enough. If not, this piece of business is insane in my opinion. I hope NJ knows what he's doing, for now I'll trust his judgement.
    NB living close to Coventry, as I do, lots of my friends say Godden will do a good job in League One...I hope they're right!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I'm starting to wonder if signing Godden adds up. I thought Jones wanted bigger, more athletic strikers than May? Godden is the same height as Alfie.
    Some sites have him as 5’7 some have him as 5’11 if someone knows a cov fan can they ask. Always thought he was bigger than 5’7 so not the same height as May.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I'm starting to wonder if signing Godden adds up. I thought Jones wanted bigger, more athletic strikers than May? Godden is the same height as Alfie.
    If Godden is part of a team that can get us in the Championship before he turns 35, then he will be a good player for us to have on board
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    cfgs said:
    May is gone, the important thing is what happens now.  We need someone through the door to lift the squad and the fans, that isn't Godden.  
    We've swapped Alfie May for Godden

I don't understand

Godden doesn't fit the profile of striker Jones wants (allegedly) @DubaiCAFC ?   Care to explain?

If it isn't about money why Godden when May has 20+ goals 3 seasons running?!
    Issue is, agent of May was making other clubs aware that May wasn't happy at Charlton for whatever reason.. May doesn't like Jones style, and wanted to leave.. Jones couldn't and wouldn't guarantee he would be week in week out start. Charlton are getting a good deal, May is getting an even better deal, just feels like it is a good deal for all.

Godden in my opinion is a good replacement for May, similar type of player and done the goods at a higher-level and is happy to fight for his place. 

As Ben said in his baking cake statement, let's see where we are at the end of the window.. You have to remember, every single club is battling for players, some will come and some won't that is football for you.. But for me, the profile of players we have signed so far is what we need to be doing, they are a good age, points to prove.   
    Whilst I agree in general, Godden isn't a good age, he is an experienced pro who has had a good career. Just hoping he isn'tthis seasons Ben Watson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cfgs said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    cfgs said:
    May is gone, the important thing is what happens now.  We need someone through the door to lift the squad and the fans, that isn't Godden.  
    We've swapped Alfie May for Godden

I don't understand

Godden doesn't fit the profile of striker Jones wants (allegedly) @DubaiCAFC ?   Care to explain?

If it isn't about money why Godden when May has 20+ goals 3 seasons running?!
    Issue is, agent of May was making other clubs aware that May wasn't happy at Charlton for whatever reason.. May doesn't like Jones style, and wanted to leave.. Jones couldn't and wouldn't guarantee he would be week in week out start. Charlton are getting a good deal, May is getting an even better deal, just feels like it is a good deal for all.

Godden in my opinion is a good replacement for May, similar type of player and done the goods at a higher-level and is happy to fight for his place. 

As Ben said in his baking cake statement, let's see where we are at the end of the window.. You have to remember, every single club is battling for players, some will come and some won't that is football for you.. But for me, the profile of players we have signed so far is what we need to be doing, they are a good age, points to prove.   
    Whilst I agree in general, Godden isn't a good age, he is an experienced pro who has had a good career. Just hoping he isn'tthis seasons Ben Watson.
    Talking about the previous signings.. We also need a bit of experience as well. 
  • Options
    Guy at work who's a Coventry fan, said Godden is no longer part of there plans and has been past it at championship level for couple of seasons now at least.

Hopefully that means he will still be good enough for league 1.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    cfgs said:
    Godden is a good player at this level and has been for the level above, if we can get another decent striker with the May money and use the rest for a decent 10 it won’t be a bad deal.
    IF
  • Options
    A quality goalkeeper is absolutely pivotal for any sort of success next season. If the ownership is worth it's salt then it will move heaven and earth to get Jones what he wants and It needs to be done sooner rather than later.
     If we're still piss balling about looking for one in a month's time then I'm afraid it's the same old story. 
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    cfgs said:
    Godden is a good player at this level and has been for the level above, if we can get another decent striker with the May money and use the rest for a decent 10 it won’t be a bad deal.
    IF
    After selling May he has to be 

absolutely no excuses for this board or jones if this goes pear shape
  • Options
    What's the resale value of Godden going to be?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Chunes said:
    If Godden is part of a team that can get us in the Championship before he turns 35, then he will be a good player for us to have on board
    I think that line works for anyone tbf. 
  • Options
    I got a message yesterday saying we're in for Joe Lumley from Southampton. I thought it was bull as I thought we were going to sign Davies but maybe it's true. Unreliable source to be honest but thought I'd share. 
    Hope that isn’t true. Lumley is a terrible shot-stopper