Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Call this cope or whatever but May is not a 'guaranteed' 20-goal striker. Three seasons running doesn't 'guarantee' a fourth. Also, he just isn't our best player (Leaburn probably is) 
    Plus what people are not seeing is he can’t score 20 goals if he not in the team 
    Ronnie's decided to end me I see 

Don't give up Leuth, there is life after one of Ronnie's post's honestly...🙄
  • Options
    Jones says we have been bold and aggressive in this transfer window.  Dobson and May gone. A reserve keeper, reserve LB, a CB and a midfielder signed. 

Imagine if we were not bold and aggressive!
    I hope the window gets better and quick because so far, it is as crap as usual.
    Number of bids in ..window don’t shut till end of August 
    And only opened today eh?
  • Options
    There is a saying, usually now misquoted by among others Andy Scott, that the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The proof is NOT in the effing pudding.

The proof ie the test, isn't in the process of making or baking the cake but in its final use, ie when it is consumed. 

Right now the cake is still being mixed.  Four new ingredients, players, have been added and some other ingredients discarded.  But the mix isn't finished and more ingredients are being sought.

The baker has done well at other bakeries but he has yet to prove himself fully at the La Vallee Patisserie.

Right now, the cake mix doesn't look right and certainly not ready to eat but there is still some more cooking to be done.

Come 10 August we can all tuck into the first slice and see how it has turned out.  Till then, it's too early to say it has or hasn't risen.

(this metaphor is now going for a lie down in a dark room)
    I think by Aug 3rd after the match against Pompey we will all be able to see what the pudding looks like. Half baked & even putting it back into the oven until Sept 1st wont help it. More ingredients need to be added very soon & left to do their thing. Spend time getting to know each & hoping the flavours mix well together. 
  • Options
    edited July 1
    There is a saying, usually now misquoted by among others Andy Scott, that the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The proof ie the test, isn't in the process of making or baking the cake but in its final use, ie when it is consumed. 

Right now the cake is still being mixed.  Four new ingredients, players, have been added and some other ingredients discarded.  But the mix isn't finished and more ingredients are being sought.

The baker has done well at other bakeries but he has yet to prove himself fully at the La Vallee Patisserie.

Right now, the cake mix doesn't look right and certainly not ready to eat but there is still some more cooking to be done.

Come 10 August we can all tuck into the first slice and see how it has turned out.  Till then, it's too early to say it has or hasn't risen.

What's wrong with a house analogy?
    Edited - I note that I'm an hour too late.
  • Options
    Any transfer rumours today? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Here's another wild take to get 20 LOLs or whatever. If Leaburn had stayed fit, Appleton would still be our coach now. This is no claim for Appleton being any good, btw, but Leaburn's one of the biggest difference-makes we've had in a very long time and there'd have been more games like Wigan away where he basically destroyed them for 75 minutes. Basically, a chea- 
    If he hadn’t got injured in the first place then Holden would probably still be our manager. His plan all along was 3-5-2 with Leaburn and May up front. Was really hoping we’d finally get to see it now with Jones, oh well 
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    Swisdom said:
    Croydon said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Yann897 said:
    Swisdom said:
    mendonca said:
    Swisdom said:
    As per The Udders forum;
    "Heard May will be on 11k a week at Birmingham, can’t compete with that, should have gotten the deal over the line sooner"...
    Sounds like a good offer from Brum...if true...🤷‍♂️
    Once we'd accepted an offer from him his mind was made up to leave so it was clearly then going to be about money.  Short career and all that.  If he can pick up half a million a year for a couple of years he goes a long way towards securing his future I guess.
    Accepted an offer from him, or for him? 

One letter (then rearranged) can make quite a difference here! 
    We received an offer For him.  My mistake. 
    Give us some good news @Swisdom we need some good signings in now , you must know something.
    All I know is I'm going to have a new neighbour.

Deathly silent on the rumour front.  The club have worked hard to keep everything under wraps.  I know we were keen on Etete, Ahadme, Davies.  We did look at Lolos formerly of Crawley but we went off him fairly quickly.
    There's a trialist over from Mount Pleasant apparently but no idea who that is
    And one other mystery player who has a lot of rave reviews but who is very raw at the moment.  I'm sworn to secrecy on him so as not to jeopardise anything but I wouldn't think he's necessarily lined up as a starter just yet anyway.
    Call me cynical, but that is the most Charlton transfer rumour mill possible.

I am going to assume, we went off him because Bolton were interested and he would rather have gone there? That's usually what happens unless it's outside football reasons I.e. they want to live nearer family.

A trialist from Mount Pleasant, who let's be honest, likely won't be good enough to make an immediate impact, and then a mystery player that won't start, when we already have talented players that shouldn't quite be starting anyway, along with selling our best player. 

Just have to laugh sometimes. 
    The signings so far have all come from nowhere so nothing to say there aren’t a few more up the sleeve.

the “other player” - if he joins -  might settle really quickly and go straight into the team.  He’s an unknown quantity at this time but I’ve heard good stuff about him so he could be a real coup

No they haven't? We'd known about Mannion, Mitchell and Edwards for weeks before they were announced officially. 

You then contradict yourself in your second paragraph, because you've heard good things about the unknown quantity, who would also be a real coup to sign. Which one is it? 😂

Before signing for us those guys were not on anyone’s radar.  I only knew about Berry because Alfie told me at the end of the season because he was pissed off)   That one aside we’re keeping stuff in house until it’s done.  Nathan confirmed this last week.

I don’t just watch football from league 1, I talk to football people all over the world every day and I do my own research.  This guy is raw but is very highly thought of where he currently plays.  He could be a load of turnip or he could rip teams to shreds.  We just don’t know right now.
     So there’s no contradiction.  hes not known here, but I’m told he is very exciting and very good and the limited footage I’ve seen suggests potential.  If we sign him we’ll see for ourselves but he could be a coup.  A bit of a low risk punt
    I know you obviously want to keep this Incognito for obvious reasons but you have me curious now but the way you make this player sound so obscure so, all I ask if possible, is this a domestic player or a foreign player?
    He's most likely from Mount Pleasant and may or may not be good enough in a few years time.
    (Hope I'm wrong).
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    Swisdom said:
    Croydon said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Yann897 said:
    Swisdom said:
    mendonca said:
    Swisdom said:
    As per The Udders forum;
    "Heard May will be on 11k a week at Birmingham, can’t compete with that, should have gotten the deal over the line sooner"...
    Once we'd accepted an offer from him his mind was made up to leave so it was clearly then going to be about money.  Short career and all that.  If he can pick up half a million a year for a couple of years he goes a long way towards securing his future I guess.

Give us some good news @Swisdom we need some good signings in now , you must know something.

Deathly silent on the rumour front.  The club have worked hard to keep everything under wraps.  I know we were keen on Etete, Ahadme, Davies.  We did look at Lolos formerly of Crawley but we went off him fairly quickly.
    And one other mystery player who has a lot of rave reviews but who is very raw at the moment.  I'm sworn to secrecy on him so as not to jeopardise anything but I wouldn't think he's necessarily lined up as a starter just yet anyway.

I am going to assume, we went off him because Bolton were interested and he would rather have gone there? That's usually what happens unless it's outside football reasons I.e. they want to live nearer family.

A trialist from Mount Pleasant, who let's be honest, likely won't be good enough to make an immediate impact, and then a mystery player that won't start, when we already have talented players that shouldn't quite be starting anyway, along with selling our best player. 

The signings so far have all come from nowhere so nothing to say there aren’t a few more up the sleeve.

the “other player” - if he joins -  might settle really quickly and go straight into the team.  He’s an unknown quantity at this time but I’ve heard good stuff about him so he could be a real coup

No they haven't? We'd known about Mannion, Mitchell and Edwards for weeks before they were announced officially. 

You then contradict yourself in your second paragraph, because you've heard good things about the unknown quantity, who would also be a real coup to sign. Which one is it? 😂

Before signing for us those guys were not on anyone’s radar.  I only knew about Berry because Alfie told me at the end of the season because he was pissed off)   That one aside we’re keeping stuff in house until it’s done.  Nathan confirmed this last week.

I don’t just watch football from league 1, I talk to football people all over the world every day and I do my own research.  This guy is raw but is very highly thought of where he currently plays.  He could be a load of turnip or he could rip teams to shreds.  We just don’t know right now.
     So there’s no contradiction.  hes not known here, but I’m told he is very exciting and very good and the limited footage I’ve seen suggests potential.  If we sign him we’ll see for ourselves but he could be a coup.  A bit of a low risk punt
    I know you obviously want to keep this Incognito for obvious reasons but you have me curious now but the way you make this player sound so obscure so, all I ask if possible, is this a domestic player or a foreign player?
    He's most likely from Mount Pleasant and may or may not be good enough in a few years time.
    (Hope I'm wrong).
    I read it as one guy on trial from the Jamacian post office and another, different player who could be a turnip but might a diamond.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    Wonder if it’s taking a little longer so we can get one or two over the line like Rich had said before.
    Don't worry it's only a rumour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LTKapal said:
    Swisdom said:
    Croydon said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Yann897 said:
    Swisdom said:
    mendonca said:
    Swisdom said:
    As per The Udders forum;

(Hope I'm wrong).
    I read it as one guy on trial from the Jamacian post office and another, different player who could be a turnip but might a diamond.
    1/2 turnip, 10/1 a diamond.
  • Options
    Blimey, drinking on a Monday night 
  • Options
    One thing that’s a little concerning is we seem to be waiting for May to be sold before bringing in Ahadme/whoever. Aren’t we suppose to have a decent budget regardless of whatever Birmingham hand over for May? 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    One thing that’s a little concerning is we seem to be waiting for May to be sold before bringing in Ahadme/whoever. Aren’t we suppose to have a decent budget regardless of whatever Birmingham hand over for May? 
    Looks more like we are further away in negotiations than brum are with May, but we won't let him go without getting someone in, which sounds sensible to me
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Valley11 said:
    Looks more like we are further away in negotiations than brum are with May, but we won't let him go without getting someone in, which sounds sensible to me
    January 25 seems more sensible to me !!!
  • Options

I miss bake off as well Henry.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CafcSCP said:
    2 weeks into the window and while it’s not the fastest start to a window the level of panic is unbelievable.
    Mitchell and Berry look like cracking signings, Edwards and Mannion, could yet turn out to be great.
    Nobody wants to see the top scorer go but it’s going to happen.
    Move on and hope we get the deals done that we need 

May getting announced on Wednesday .. 
    Thanks Colin, only a few hours late this time.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    CafcSCP said:
    2 weeks into the window and while it’s not the fastest start to a window the level of panic is unbelievable.
    Mitchell and Berry look like cracking signings, Edwards and Mannion, could yet turn out to be great.

Don’t think it’s panic but when your manager says on numerous occasions that he wants his squad in place for the start of pre season, maybe just one or two off that, then we are a million miles from that and to boot have now just sold May. I’m not panicking yet but I’m mightily concerned.

We have seen in the last four/five seasons what impact late recruitment can have. We need to hit the ground running and to do that the squad needs pre season to gel and take onboard what NJ wants to do. League One is going to be a lot tougher than it was last year and seemingly a few teams are willing to spend relatively big (Brum, Hudds, Bolton to name three) and we are already starting from a very low base. I trust NJ but I’m not sure I trust the SMT/Owners to back him sufficiently.
    We’re not a million miles away, we want 5 signings I’m guessing 6 with May going , there’s still 2 months to go of the window and over a month until the first game.
    Which is fine until you factor in NJ saying he wanted his squad sorted for the start of pre season training, bar maybe one or two. How’s that going? We need at least six signings, of which at least four in my opinion need to be starters, getting them in late July/early August isn’t going to cut it.
    This is where I am. I was hoping we’d see at least a couple of signings this week but I’m not confident we will. Things can change quickly though, we can only wait and see.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    CafcSCP said:

Don’t think it’s panic but when your manager says on numerous occasions that he wants his squad in place for the start of pre season, maybe just one or two off that, then we are a million miles from that and to boot have now just sold May. I’m not panicking yet but I’m mightily concerned.

We have seen in the last four/five seasons what impact late recruitment can have. We need to hit the ground running and to do that the squad needs pre season to gel and take onboard what NJ wants to do. League One is going to be a lot tougher than it was last year and seemingly a few teams are willing to spend relatively big (Brum, Hudds, Bolton to name three) and we are already starting from a very low base. I trust NJ but I’m not sure I trust the SMT/Owners to back him sufficiently.
    We’re not a million miles away, we want 5 signings I’m guessing 6 with May going , there’s still 2 months to go of the window and over a month until the first game.
    Which is fine until you factor in NJ saying he wanted his squad sorted for the start of pre season training, bar maybe one or two. How’s that going? We need at least six signings, of which at least four in my opinion need to be starters, getting them in late July/early August isn’t going to cut it.
    I’d imagine we’ll get 2/3 this week especially as May is leaving which only leaves us needing 2/3, which is what I mean by saying we’re not a million miles away. Which would give Jones the majority of the squad sorted as he had said.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    .Our recruitment seems a bit slow but that’s only because our 8 elite players are still at the Euros.
    I hope you’re right. 
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    .Our recruitment seems a bit slow but that’s only because our 8 elite players are still at the Euros.
    You joke but…