Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    It was clear that Davies wasn't happening after a little bit to be honest. After it went deathly quiet and we were told he was considering other options I reckon Jones would have soured on him anyway. He's said he only wants players who want to play for Charlton and Davies obviously wasn't too bothered about coming down. He's done quite well to leverage our interest into a new contract at a team who have just been relegated from the Premier League, he'll get more money than we would offer just to sit on his arse and good luck to him. We've obviously been aiming high with our keepers so far, Ruddy has gone to a PL team, so at the moment we're suffering the struggle you can get with experienced keepers where they're great for keeping the ball out of your net in the Football League but they're also very popular with higher level teams who would never actually have them as their keeper but will happily pay them tens of thousands a week just to warm up the number 1 in training. The good thing is we moved quickly to get in a keeper that isn't AMB or Isted so we can afford to take our time getting in an experienced player who wants to go onto a football pitch to do something other than hand the actual keeper his water bottle at half time. Will be interesting to see who we target if and when the free player options we rate disappear.
  • Options
    Bloody hell, go to bed last night fine, wake up this morning and 120 new posts, don't anyone sleep these days, full of insomniacs...🙄
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    cfgs said:
    May is gone, the important thing is what happens now.  We need someone through the door to lift the squad and the fans, that isn't Godden.  
    We've swapped Alfie May for Godden

I don't understand

Godden doesn't fit the profile of striker Jones wants (allegedly) @DubaiCAFC ?   Care to explain?

If it isn't about money why Godden when May has 20+ goals 3 seasons running?!
    Issue is, agent of May was making other clubs aware that May wasn't happy at Charlton for whatever reason.. May doesn't like Jones style, and wanted to leave.. Jones couldn't and wouldn't guarantee he would be week in week out start. Charlton are getting a good deal, May is getting an even better deal, just feels like it is a good deal for all.

Godden in my opinion is a good replacement for May, similar type of player and done the goods at a higher-level and is happy to fight for his place. 

As Ben said in his baking cake statement, let's see where we are at the end of the window.. You have to remember, every single club is battling for players, some will come and some won't that is football for you.. But for me, the profile of players we have signed so far is what we need to be doing, they are a good age, points to prove.   
    From what I was told from a trustworthy source, May was fine to stay and see out his contract at a minimum, and it was Jones decision for him to leave. 

It would then be the agents job to ask around at who would like to sign his newly available player. You make it sound like the agent made first move, that is not what I was told. 
    So see out his contract and we get nothing next season or cash In for 1m and reinvest in the squad. No brainer
    Playing devils advocate here, May had a 1 year option so technically 2 years left on his deal.
    Fair enough then, it’s a gamble regardless just hope Jones is making the right decision. We’ll soon find out.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    Chunes said:
    I'm starting to wonder if signing Godden adds up. I thought Jones wanted bigger, more athletic strikers than May? Godden is the same height as Alfie.
    Some sites have him as 5’7 some have him as 5’11 if someone knows a cov fan can they ask. Always thought he was bigger than 5’7 so not the same height as May.
    I’ve met him, I’m about 6ft3 and I would have Godden at about 5ft9

• Options
    They want to be judged on results that’s what I will do.
    That means they have to prepare for long term and short term injuries, prepare for suspensions, prepare for fatigue, prepare for fixture congestion prepare for shocking referee decisions, prepare for bad weather or rubbish pitch conditions, prepare to be intimidated by opposition fans, prepare to accept criticism by our own fans. And overcome all of those difficulties and win promotion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    .Our recruitment seems a bit slow but that’s only because our 8 elite players are still at the Euros.
    You joke but…
    Looking forward to seeing Ronaldo and Suarez up front for us next season 
    I hope NJ doesn't allow Ronaldo to take our free kicks.....
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    if this squad wins promotion given we have signed 4 players where 2 are squad players, then jones is a fucking tactical genius and the best manager ever. As this group of players were lacking in multiple areas last season and personally I don't see how we've gone anywhere but backwards in terms of strength in depth by losing Dobo and May so far. I'd love to be proved wrong and for us to have a fantastic window, I just don't see it. 

Sorry has the window closed this morning ??
  • Options
    Let’s be honest here, we were absolutely shit last season so what do we do let our 3 best players go.

From what I have seen so far not signed anyone who looks like he will tear up the division.

Seems madness but this is Charlton.

Board are useless.

In Jones the jury’s out.

I’m 

Could look at it anotehr way. We have been s*** for last few years with them players included. Now I am not saying them 3 have been the issue infact they have stood out but they have stood out in our worse period. 

Lets see where we are as a team come August. 

• Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    if this squad wins promotion given we have signed 4 players where 2 are squad players, then jones is a fucking tactical genius and the best manager ever. As this group of players were lacking in multiple areas last season and personally I don't see how we've gone anywhere but backwards in terms of strength in depth by losing Dobo and May so far. I'd love to be proved wrong and for us to have a fantastic window, I just don't see it. 

Sorry has the window closed this morning ??

The Premier League, EFL and Scottish Premiership summer transfer windows are now open, shutting on Friday August 30 at 11pm in England and 11.30pm in Scotland; the winter transfer window opens on New Year's Day and closes on Monday February 3

• Options
    Let’s be honest here, we were absolutely shit last season so what do we do let our 3 best players go.

From what I have seen so far not signed anyone who looks like he will tear up the division.

Seems madness but this is Charlton.

Board are useless.

In Jones the jury’s out.

Where we go again 
    why the board useless , Jones is making the decisions on all incoming and out going players .. CBT refused to play for the club and pretended to be injured ? Dobson signed a contract ridiculously advised no one forced him to should have waited till end of season and not jumped for the only offer he received .. May, family already moved but was willing to stay until end of next season when his contract was up ( no extension would have been agreed ) a player who Jones said was only a squad player next season , financially 100% sell now make a massive profit on him or let him go for free 12 months time ?? 

So far our signings are excellent and will improve us there more to come in the coming days before we leave for our tour abroad 
  • Options
    I think Godden would be a very able replacement.

I've seen the panic in here about his age. He's one year older than Alfie!
    He's also got a fairly decent scoring ratio in the CHAMPIONSHIP. You know, the league we are all aspiring to?
    Very intelligent centre forward is Godden who could score goals for fun by dropping back a level.
    2 years older

May and Aneke will 31 tomorrow

Gooden 33 at the end of the month 
  • Options
    Coventry City man set to join 'ambitious' League One club amid medical and personal terms.. 
    Coventry City striker Matty Godden is set to join Charlton Athletic after the two clubs are understood to have agreed a fee for the player.

But the 32-year-old was at League One Charlton on Monday having a medical and agreeing personal terms ahead of confirmation of a move to The Valley

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bloody hell, go to bed last night fine, wake up this morning and 120 new posts, don't anyone sleep these days, full of insomniacs...🙄
    Yeah but as you sleep on this thread, you don’t have far to go;)
  • Options
    You snooze, you lose…
  • Options
    Godden for May seems daft on paper. Yes Godden is a good player, but older than May and hasn't scored 60 goals across the last 3 seasons. However if NJ is also bringing in a top quality stiker, like Ahadme for example, as well as, then fair enough. If not, this piece of business is insane in my opinion. I hope NJ knows what he's doing, for now I'll trust his judgement.
    NB living close to Coventry, as I do,  Lots of my friends say Godden will do a good job in League One...I hope they're right!
    Struth I’ve read some shite recently but this tops it all. 😂😉

• Options
    You snooze, you lose…
    Fair enough, but it don't sound like I've lost anything reading the myriad of stuff posted, rather I have gained a good nights sleep...😴😴
  • Options
    Genuine question, why is everyone (both positive and negative) so convinced that Jones is the one calling the shots? 
  • Options
    Not sure where this rumor about him being the same size as Alfie comes from.  Wyscout has Godden as 6'1" and Transfermarkt has him the same. From what I can see he's much bigger than Alfred - who is not even 5'9. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    cfgs said:
    May is gone, the important thing is what happens now.  We need someone through the door to lift the squad and the fans, that isn't Godden.  
    We've swapped Alfie May for Godden

I don't understand

Godden doesn't fit the profile of striker Jones wants (allegedly) @DubaiCAFC ?   Care to explain?

If it isn't about money why Godden when May has 20+ goals 3 seasons running?!
    Issue is, agent of May was making other clubs aware that May wasn't happy at Charlton for whatever reason.. May doesn't like Jones style, and wanted to leave.. Jones couldn't and wouldn't guarantee he would be week in week out start. Charlton are getting a good deal, May is getting an even better deal, just feels like it is a good deal for all.

Godden in my opinion is a good replacement for May, similar type of player and done the goods at a higher-level and is happy to fight for his place. 

As Ben said in his baking cake statement, let's see where we are at the end of the window.. You have to remember, every single club is battling for players, some will come and some won't that is football for you.. But for me, the profile of players we have signed so far is what we need to be doing, they are a good age, points to prove.   
    From what I was told from a trustworthy source, May was fine to stay and see out his contract at a minimum, and it was Jones decision for him to leave. 

It would then be the agents job to ask around at who would like to sign his newly available player. You make it sound like the agent made first move, that is not what I was told. 
    Spin and counter spin.