Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• People keep saying we need a wide player but remember Hasselbaink.

Peter Garland !
  • Keep seeing people say we need to sign a wide player, why? We are clearly playing with wingbacks and no wingers so why waste budget on one?

Isn't an attacking full back or wing back a wide player when a team is on the attack. Shaw was always crossing from wide and in an advanced position in recent tournaments for England.

For England:
    The lack of width on the left this time is because Shaw hasn't played, Gordon's was only put on in the 89th minute etc and Trippier only uses his left foot to stand on.

Same scenario for Charlton you need to the ability to cross from wide on the left or right. Teams still need players who can cross from both sides and from advanced positions. So top attacking full backs but also forwards who can cross. Kanu 1st assist was when he went wider on the left for Leaburn to score.
    I'm a great fan of forwards like Taylor (hush your mouth Sam 🤐)  and Grant who could play central and wide. 
    If we are counting wing backs as wide players then we have loads of wide players and don’t need any more.

I would count any player who has the ability to cross the ball from a wide position and doesn't have to do a Trippier and cut back onto his Right foot when taking up a wide position on the left or vice versa. Hopefully we do have the enough of these players now.

Campbell will play a part from the bench and maybe plan B or when a full back is tiring. Still room for a ''Winger" to run at defenders in the last 30 minutes or so depending on the situation.

My mantra is flexibility and out guess the opposition Manager or head coach or if you only have a Plan A like Pep them make sure it's a brilliant Plan A.

This is the mediocre 3rd tier so we don't need to emulated Champion league winners but we do need some skill, nous and fitness with a better 16 player involved in a game than the last few mid table seasons.

Slightly hopefully but will we miss Alfie, George and Corey over the full 24/25 season ?

•  I was awaiting Dobson’s return for this, but no matter, because now we’ve signed Docherty, we could feasibly put out a team starting with the first 11 letters of the alphabet:

Isted
    Edmonds-Green Jones Gillesphey
     Campbell Docherty Berry Henry
                      Fraser
                  Kanu  Ahadme

😎
    (I love silly crap like this. A bit like that squad we had a few years ago that had about 9 players who all had different first names, but they all began with A.)

Are you retired by any chance ?  :D

He is Lord Romford and he has servants to look after him.
    Carry on my sweet Lord.
  • Keep seeing people say we need to sign a wide player, why? We are clearly playing with wingbacks and no wingers so why waste budget on one?

Jones has played a 433/4231 at times at all his clubs so he definitely likes the option, plus, he wanted it enough to bring in lualua after all.

Think it wouldn't hurt to have the next AM someone who can play across the 3 attack mid spots. A loan might be best given it won't be a guaranteed starter.
  • I have been critical of NJ but have to admit that he seems to be assembling a squad that will suit his style of play, which will become clearer as the friendlies progress, so well done NJ, the SMT and Owners.
    I know most will disagree but I hope that Scott Fraser will become our playmaker, he was good when he first came to us but deteriorated due to his injury, but is now injury free.
    Yes I'd keep Fraser as well, he's not the workhorse, but he has a decisive pass on him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Teddy Bishop and Hylton playing against Dartford, guessing that is Danny Hylton? 
  • RedRobin said:
    Teddy Bishop and Hylton playing against Dartford, guessing that is Danny Hylton? 
    Could be Jabari Hylton maybe? Danny Hylton doesn't seem like the right kind of fit at this stage if his career. 
  • Danny Hylton is interesting. Might be worth a 6 month contract if we're short up front for the first half of the season 
  • MrBurns said:
    Danny Hylton is interesting. Might be worth a 6 month contract if we're short up front for the first half of the season 
    Or as an option that allows Daniel Kanu to go out on loan, especially if Godden is ahead of him
  • Genuinely don’t know much about Bishop. Any clues ?
  • Going to be Danny. Not scored for a long time 😂
  • Sponsored links:

Central midfielder, ex-Ipswich and Lincoln.

More attacking than someone like Dobson, but an 8 type not a 10 I think.
    Played at Ipswich and at Lincoln last season central Mid made over 200 apps 
    Ideal for Managers to blame when we lose... Means they can beat the Bishop
  • If it is Danny Hylton then I’m hoping it’s to help with fitness. 
    Ideal for Managers to blame when we lose... Means they can beat the Bishop
    i was reading through the messages hoping that when I got the bottom, nobody had said this!
  • Croydon said:
    Just had a look around the league one forums to try and gauge how the fans were feeling and saw this comment. To the point and accurate. 

Spineless wasters is an incredibly accurate description of us in recent seasons 
    What forum is this from?
  • edited July 6
    Looks like Danny Hylton, in the pink bib.
  • edited July 6
    People keep saying we need a wide player but remember Hasselbaink.
    Right, he  covered ate both wings at the same time...🙄

• Danny Hylton isn't League One level anymore. No thanks, hard pass. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!