Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

T20 Cricket World Cup 2024

Comments

• Both of England’s remaining matches are before the Scotland game against Australia so they target has to be to demolish both Namibia and Oman, get a better NRR than the Scots and then any Australia win is enough…
  • 09 Jun 24 ICC Men's T20 World Cup, 2024 - Match 19
    Nassau County International Cricket Stadium, New York

INDIA

119 (19.0)

PAKISTAN

113/7 (20.0)
    India beat Pakistan by 6 runs

T20I
    09 Jun 24 ICC Men's T20 World Cup, 2024 - Match 20
    Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, North Sound, Antigua

OMAN

150/7 (20.0)

SCOTLAND

153/3 (13.1)
    Scotland beat Oman by 7 wickets
  • SA 23-4 against Bangladesh
  • Both of England’s remaining matches are before the Scotland game against Australia so they target has to be to demolish both Namibia and Oman, get a better NRR than the Scots and then any Australia win is enough…
    Let's be honest if we can't demolish both of them then we have no business being in the super 8 anyway.

Does anyone with a reasonable knowledge of NRR calculations, know how much we need to beat both by to go above Scotland? Scotland demolished Oman in 13 overs yesterday but they only beat Namibia with 9 balls to spare.
  • A grim scenario where England NEED Australia to heavily beat Scotland, to bring down their NRR. Knowing Australia they'll push singles so that they only reach the winning total with an over to spare...
    That's before the rain factor
  • The whole "we want to bat second as we aren't sure how the pitch will play" decision forgets that the team bowling second also has the advantage of seeing how the pitch will play, and which balls will get smacked when they come to bowl.
    That still requires the captain recognising any of that and then those bowlers having the skills to deliver the goods and not just a tasty buffet of batter benevolence
  • The scores in New York to date (SA's innings against Bangladesh that has just concluded is the final one):

77 AO
    96 AO
    137-7
    103-9
    119 AO
    113-6

That isn't a fair contest between bat and ball any more than posting 250 in the IPL is.

• South Africa 113 for 6 after 20 overs
  • What's the chance of England winning their remaining two games by a mile to overtake Scotland. 

And then the Koala botherers stitch us up.
  • What's the chance of England winning their remaining two games by a mile to overtake Scotland. 

The way Group A is going, if they lost to the Scots they’d go into a Super 8 group with India and if they beat them they could get a Super 8 group with USA (if USA beat Ireland in Florida).

They’ll want to win the game and the group.
  • Sponsored links:

The way Group A is going, if they lost to the Scots they’d go into a Super 8 group with India and if they beat them they could get a Super 8 group with USA (if USA beat Ireland in Florida).

Thanks for that Callum.
    Gives me a bit of hope. 

Nothing to stop them winning slowly to help with Scotland’s NRR though 
  • edited June 10
    fenaddick said:
    What's the chance of England winning their remaining two games by a mile to overtake Scotland. 

Nothing to stop them winning slowly to help with Scotland’s NRR though 
    Yeah that’s all predicated on us doing enough against Namibia and Oman to overtake the Scottish NRR before that game. Because you’re right I could definitely see them chasing down 130 in 19 overs just to spite us.

As far as I know, Scotland can’t lose to Australia and improve their NRR so we’d have to demolish the other two teams and take NRR out of the equation before that game is played.
  • ICC Men's T20 World Cup, 2024 - Match 21

SOUTH AFRICA

113/6 (20.0)

BANGLADESH

109/7 (19.6)
    South Africa beat Bangladesh by 4 runs
  • SA win by 4 runs defending 113

However, I have to feel sorry for Bangladesh. Yet again we have had a situation where a ball hits the pads and runs away for 4 runs but the batter is given out so the ball becomes "dead". He reviews and the decision is overruled and Bangladesh don't get those 4 runs. Why can't the Law be changed so the Umpire is not allowed to give his decision until the ball becomes dead? Any runs scored by a batsman given out will not then count but should the decision be changed then they will. 
    A bit of an anomaly that. I guess it's to stop situations where the fielding team stop playing to celebrate and the batting team keep running, just in case it wasn't out!
  • edited June 10
    SA win by 4 runs defending 113

However, I have to feel sorry for Bangladesh. Yet again we have had a situation where a ball hits the pads and runs away for 4 runs but the batter is given out so the ball becomes "dead". He reviews and the decision is overruled and Bangladesh don't get those 4 runs. Why can't the Law be changed so the Umpire is not allowed to give his decision until the ball becomes dead? Any runs scored by a batsman given out will not then count but should the decision be changed then they will. 
    A bit of an anomaly that. I guess it's to stop situations where the fielding team stop playing to celebrate and the batting team keep running, just in case it wasn't out!
    But if the fielding side knew the decision wasn't going to be made until such time as the ball became "dead" (i.e. when the batsmen stop running or there is a run out) then they wouldn't be celebrating and treat it as a normal opportunity for a run out. And any runs just wouldn't then count if, ultimately the batsman was LBW before and/or after the review as they are currently if a batsman is given "not out" on the field but "out" upon review. 
  • Pakistan v Canada due to start at 15.30, Pakistan won the toss & will field.
  • Canada 63 for 5 after 11 overs
  • Ridiculous scorecard - out of 73-5 off 13 overs, Johnson has 52*, there have been 10 extras and the other 6 batsmen have 11 between them!
  • Sponsored links:

• Ridiculous scorecard - out of 73-5 off 13 overs, Johnson has 52*, there have been 10 extras and the other 6 batsmen have 11 between them!
    You just got him out.
    You just got him out.
    It's a gift. Wait 'til Surrey play next!
  • Canada 106 for 7 after 20 overs
  • New York scores:

77 AO
    96 AO
    137-7
    103-9
    119 AO
    113-6
    106-7

The commentators will not make as big an issue as they should about this pitch simply because doing so would undermine the sport in a country that the broadcasters need to promote. It is dire stuff. I believe that there is only one more game there but, should the USA beat India in that one, I think there will be more than the odd comment made about whether a WC should be staged on drop in pitches in the US. 
  • Pakistan 36 for 1 after 7.1 overs
    You just got him out.
    It's a gift. Wait 'til Surrey play next!
    Are Surrey in the World T20 now? I guess they're second in the wealth stakes behind the BCCI.
  • ICC Men's T20 World Cup, 2024 - Match 22

PAKISTAN

107/3 (17.3)

CANADA

106/7 (20.0)
    Pakistan beat Canada by 7 wickets
  • Some of the scheduling in this tournament is bizarre. Some teams have played 3 matches, but NZ have only played once.
  • Some of the scheduling in this tournament is bizarre. Some teams have played 3 matches, but NZ have only played once.
    Which feels worse when you're bottom with 0 points and a NRR of minus 4.2!
  • I'm worried about the weather. 
    If one of England's game gets rained off 
    We are out