Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mark Goldbridge working with the club?

14567810»

Comments

• fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    JaShea99 said:
    swordfish said:
    JaShea99 said:
    This guy coming in doesn't cost us, as fans, a thing! 

What are the drawback of him coming in and boosting the profile?? Id love to know.
    I think it’s just the embarrassment that comes with associating with someone like him. It looks a bit desperate.
    How can a guy "universally" thought to be a twat, as someone on here posted, be so successful? I'm genuinely curious having never heard of him. Are we saying that, by association, if you like him, you're not the type we want to attract to the Club? 

Someone said they'd had messages from mates about this taking the piss. I'd like to  hear what they actually said? Whatever it was, and do tell as I'm sure it's funny, reaction from outsiders means a wide audience knows of this now, and presumably the intention is to cast the net wide, even if a lot of 'by catch' of those not interested, or scathing of the idea, feel moved to react.

Those who say it won't have any positive benefit are speculating without evidence of course. They don't know that. None of us do and I'm not saying it will.
    Sorry but that’s a really naive comment. Have you seen the Internet in the last 20 years? Stupidity is celebrated daily, tons of talentless celebs make a fortune from nothing of any value (subjective, I know) and somehow the village idiot act is still a successful way of making money. Negative content garners more views and followers than positive content. In fact, you don’t even need to look at the Internet - see Piers Morgan.
    And this is my big problem with it. People tune in to watch a Goldbridge meltdown. I fully expect him at some point to go on a rant about us being useless. Now he might be right, but your big PR play slagging off the team is a bad look
    I’m hopeful that in our agreement with him it is stated that he won’t be (too) critical of Charlton.
    It would be quite bizarre if we pay him to slag us off.
    Of course but if he’s got low viewership then he might revert to type
    If he did that I would presume he won’t get paid.
  • edited October 15
    West2003 said:
    swordfish said:
    JaShea99 said:

What are the drawback of him coming in and boosting the profile?? Id love to know.
    I think it’s just the embarrassment that comes with associating with someone like him. It looks a bit desperate.
    How can a guy "universally" thought to be a twat, as someone on here posted, be so successful? I'm genuinely curious having never heard of him. Are we saying that, by association, if you like him, you're not the type we want to attract to the Club? 

Someone said they'd had messages from mates about this taking the piss. I'd like to  hear what they actually said? Whatever it was, and do tell as I'm sure it's funny, reaction from outsiders means a wide audience knows of this now, and presumably the intention is to cast the net wide, even if a lot of 'by catch' of those not interested, or scathing of the idea, feel moved to react.

Those who say it won't have any positive benefit are speculating without evidence of course. They don't know that. None of us do and I'm not saying it will.
    Is this true? I occasionally watch Goldbridge’s stuff and I’ve never thought of him as a twat - he’s just YouTube’s version of Alan Partridge. 

There are far worse football internet personalities than him.
    Don't know as I've no knowledge of him. I was just quoting what another poster, who presumably does, said of him on here earlier and questioning his apparent success.
  • West2003 said:
    swordfish said:
    JaShea99 said:

Is this true? I occasionally watch Goldbridge’s stuff and I’ve never thought of him as a twat - he’s just YouTube’s version of Alan Partridge. 

There are far worse football internet personalities than him.
    I’m a fan of Alan Partridge, but he’s a complete & utter twat, that’s the whole point of him.

So I don’t understand how anyone thinks he’s YouTube’s version of AP without “acting/playing” a twat.

• This guy coming in doesn't cost us, as fans, a thing! 

That's just the thing, he doesn't boost the club's profile. 

No human being on this earth will subsequently become a Charlton Athletic fan off the back of this. Sure, thousands of children will tune into his stream, they will send him messages and try and get him to say something silly like "Mike Hunt" or "Hugh Jass", he'll do it and pretend to be annoyed, and that mishap will be clipped up and shared on social media, which is essentially his whole business model. 

It lowers the club's profile, clamoring for the attention of a target audience that will never be interested in watching football that isn't the "Big 6" or Champions League. I've already had about 10 messages from non-Charlton supporting mates to take the piss.

This marketing ploy doesn't bother me, it just reeks of Charlie Methven changing the walk-out music at Sunderland to EDM and expecting a response on the pitch. 
    Imagine caring what other fans think of your team, it's such a bizarre thing to get caught up on. If 10 of your non cafc fans have seen it, either promo is working or they have shit lives that means they Google Charlton news. 
  • This guy coming in doesn't cost us, as fans, a thing! 

No human being on this earth will subsequently become a Charlton Athletic fan off the back of this. Sure, thousands of children will tune into his stream, they will send him messages and try and get him to say something silly like "Mike Hunt" or "Hugh Jass", he'll do it and pretend to be annoyed, and that mishap will be clipped up and shared on social media, which is essentially his whole business model. 

It lowers the club's profile, clamoring for the attention of a target audience that will never be interested in watching football that isn't the "Big 6" or Champions League. I've already had about 10 messages from non-Charlton supporting mates to take the piss.

This marketing ploy doesn't bother me, it just reeks of Charlie Methven changing the walk-out music at Sunderland to EDM and expecting a response on the pitch. 
    Surely it is better to try something than nothing at all? 

Even the most hopeful of this venture will know we wont get outright fans but exposure is okay. Merch could be bought etc etc

Think being doubtful about it is fair enough but people just seem properly offended! 
  • edited October 15
    Croydon said:

You have quite a strong opinion for someone says this doesn’t bother you.

The cringe factor and piss taking will be gone the day after the event - I don’t see this lowering the club’s profile in the short term, and definitely not at all in the long term.

In addition, I disagree with the notion that the audience he brings will never be interested in football outside the Top 6. For a majority of his million followers that may be true, but they’re not a hive mind and some will realise that they love it down here. 

I’m almost certain that some kids WILL become long term Charlton fans off the back of this, and I think that’s worth the short term cringe / the odd text off a mate trying to take the piss.
    I don't even have an issue with this move from the club but I genuinely don't think we'll gain a single fan out of of it.
    Maybe not immediately converted but I hope there’ll be number of kids coming out of this saying Charlton is their “second team” (much like how I imagine Goldbridge will talk about it on the day) and it only takes a few of those to start coming to games as something to do on a Saturday and they become proper fans from there.

But without that nudge in the first place they might have never been exposed to the idea that it’s possible to like a football team outside of the big clubs.

The only downsides I see here are very short term: it’s a bit cringeworthy for anyone aged 20-40 or anyone else who still cares about their club looking cool or trendy or proper naughty.
  • edited October 15
    shine166 said:

Imagine caring what other fans think of your team, it's such a bizarre thing to get caught up on. If 10 of your non cafc fans have seen it, either promo is working or they have shit lives that means they Google Charlton news. 
    I don’t care what other fans think of Charlton, especially when most of my friends support the big 6 and never go to games. 

I’m just pointing out that the wider football world sees this exactly for what it is, tinpot. 

Either way, I hope it's a massive success and we reap all its supposed rewards. If we get 3 points I'd want him here every week, as the league table is all that matters. It doesn't matter how cringy you look if you're in the top 2, just ask a Birmingham or Wrexham fan. 

• Sponsored links:

• He comes across as a total prick tbh
  • I will never understand watching someone on tv watching a football match.
    I can just tolerate soccer Saturday where the pundits in the studio have difficulty describing anything resembling football trying to describe a goal etc but just one person watching a game? Bizarre 🤷‍♀️

But then as has already been established. I’m ancient so it matters not to me.
  • What an absolute bellend. If such antics encourage people to come to The Valley (which it won’t) it says a lot about them.
    I can just tolerate soccer Saturday where the pundits in the studio have difficulty describing anything resembling football trying to describe a goal etc but just one person watching a game? Bizarre 🤷‍♀️

Isn’t Gogglebox a tv program about watching people watching tv?

If so it’s the same and by all accounts very popular 

YouTube is full of this stuff. Watch someone playing a video game. Watch someone commenting on someone else playing a video game. Watch your favourite YouTubers commenting on other people's compilations (50 best red cards etc). Watch your favourite YouTubers creating an ultimate team by opening packs...the list goes on. Not really too different to soccer Saturday or Gogglebox, but just a different format. Is listening to football on the radio the same? You're listening to someone describing the action, but you can't see it and are relying on their descriptions/reaction, although they're not as biased as MG obvs! 
  • sam3110 said:
    The word cringe has been bandied about a lot here. I can see why now. Looks like a lot of contrived bollocks to me.
    And the kids love it
  • Sponsored links:

No idea, don’t watch it.
  • YTS1978 said:
    I will never understand watching someone on tv watching a football match.

YouTube is full of this stuff. Watch someone playing a video game. Watch someone commenting on someone else playing a video game. Watch your favourite YouTubers commenting on other people's compilations (50 best red cards etc). Watch your favourite YouTubers creating an ultimate team by opening packs...the list goes on. Not really too different to soccer Saturday or Gogglebox, but just a different format. Is listening to football on the radio the same? You're listening to someone describing the action, but you can't see it and are relying on their descriptions/reaction, although they're not as biased as MG obvs! 
    But there is an art to that.
    And it’s for those who can’t be at the game. The commentator, if they’re good enough, can make you feel like you’re there.
    I’m not doing it just to listen to them………especially my brother 🫣😱😜🤣🤣🤣
  • Clarkson is a prick, but a prick aimed at old farts and the old farts love the racist bastard.

Goldbridge is just part of a wider PR strategy. I hope it works out for all parties.
  • Methven quote:-

"Football today can sometimes feel like it has lost its soul, especially in the Premier League where young fans are priced out or can’t even get tickets. Here at Charlton, we want to offer something different - an authentic matchday experience. It’s not just about the football, it’s about community: mates meeting up, enjoying the game together, and making memories". 

Talking about a game where he has increased my son's ticket price by 13%.
    Hmmm.

I'd have liked an authentic matchday experience this afternoon...albeit from my sofa ....whilst watching our first team players of the future.....

£10 pm VG, several hundreds pa season tickets, £7pm to watch live streaming of home U21 matches...so it says on the OS. Investing our hard earned into our football club. 

Maybe it's time someone told Charlie & co that they need to remember those of us who are the life blood of Charlton Athletic AND who are the most likely to introduce the younger generation of fans to the join us...

It may only be £7 but it's definitely not value for money so far this season. 

( In case you're unaware, today's match was the 2nd U21 home game where problems have been encountered on the morning of scheduled live streams meaning those of us unable to attend are deprived of the watching our Young Guns...)  
  • Plaaayer said:
    sam3110 said:
    Wait till he sees the refs in L1
    Wait until he sees gass bang a 30 yarder in....

Past Mannion.