Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mark Goldbridge working with the club?

Comments

• edited October 13
    seth plum said:
    Those of us of an age need to grasp the reality that social media really has an enormous impact on particularly the young. There is no downside to this and those that this is directed at won’t give a hoot about it be cheap or gimmicky. It will raise the clubs profile and I’d say well done to those at the club that are prepared to push this idea forward. Were in on the ground floor a a flood of others will follow which by then the idea will have passed its sell by date. Great idea and great forward thinking.
    There might be a downside if overall costs for this enterprise outweighs overall gains.
    My complete guess is it costs us £5,000.
    Can we recover that with 10 new fans for the next 50 years?
    My complete guess is yes, not even in doubt.
    How would you know for a fact that 10 people are tuning in next week, let alone for 50 years? 

I think a lot of people are really overstating the impact this will have. 
    No one knows and will ever know what revenue may accrue from this as a fact.

I think you missed the bit when I said “MY COMPLETE GUESS”.
  • edited October 13
    seth plum said:
    Those of us of an age need to grasp the reality that social media really has an enormous impact on particularly the young. There is no downside to this and those that this is directed at won’t give a hoot about it be cheap or gimmicky. It will raise the clubs profile and I’d say well done to those at the club that are prepared to push this idea forward. Were in on the ground floor a a flood of others will follow which by then the idea will have passed its sell by date. Great idea and great forward thinking.
    There might be a downside if overall costs for this enterprise outweighs overall gains.
    My complete guess is it costs us £5,000.
    Can we recover that with 10 new fans for the next 50 years?
    My complete guess is yes, not even in doubt.
    Don’t know if he’s doing one of his streams or he’s on Charlton TV - either way we will sell a few streaming passes, but absolutely nobody that’s going to watch us because of Mark Goldbridge will watch us again after the Wrexham game.
  • cafctom said:

Not even making it subtle that we’re trying to advertise the fact we’re an opponent of Wrexham 🤢
    The ropes and red carpet is all a bit Hollywood, isnt it. Cant think why they'd do that?
  • Chunes said:
    All club promotions should feature nothing but a picture of Stuart Balmer with the bandage around his head, a tagline of who we're playing, and the ticket prices listed in guineas and shillings. 
    Bloody youngsters. Who's this latest Johnny come lately, then?
  • edited October 13
    cafctom said:

Not even making it subtle that we’re trying to advertise the fact we’re an opponent of Wrexham 🤢
    What do you want the club to replace the word Wrexham with and how would this make sense?
    I’m assuming you’ve not noticed the massive red carpet, photo flash effects and Hollywood sign font that would only be used in the case that we’re playing Wrexham.

And the sarcastic comments about how we should just go completely the other way and not appeal to youngsters at all are a bit wide of the mark as well. Nobody is saying we shouldn’t do anything at all to appeal to youngsters. But forgive me for not quite relishing the idea of us having our marketing strategy pandering to a fellow League One club just because of who their famous owners are.
  • edited October 13
    I would say you'd be much better off giving very cheap season tickets each year to under 16s, as long as they're paired with an adult ticket. 

Or do big events/drives to get kids in during half terms and holidays. 

Like there's no reason we can't sell kids shirts/kits at cost for christmas with a paired bundle of 5 tickets to future games. 

Doing this (Goldbridge) kind of stuff is never going to get a random 18 year old to start supporting Charlton. You have to build from the support you already have and try to extend to family tickets rather than a single person. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I would say you'd be much better off giving very cheap season tickets each year to under 16s, as long as they're paired with an adult ticket. 

Like there's no reason we can't sell kids shirts/kits at cost for christmas with a paired bundle of 5 tickets to future games. 

Doing this (Goldbridge) kind of stuff is never going to get a random 18 year old to start supporting Charlton. You have to build from the support you already have and try to extend to family tickets rather than a single person. 
    It’s not binary.
  • edited October 13
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

What do you want the club to replace the word Wrexham with and how would this make sense?
    I’m assuming you’ve not noticed the massive red carpet, photo flash effects and Hollywood sign font that would only be used in the case that we’re playing Wrexham.

And the sarcastic comments about how we should just go completely the other way and not appeal to youngsters at all are a bit wide of the mark as well. Nobody is saying we shouldn’t do anything at all to appeal to youngsters. But forgive me for not quite relishing the idea of us having our marketing strategy pandering to a fellow League One club just because of who their famous owners are.
    Yes I’ve noticed them.
    If this upsets people they must have a lovely life.
    I can think of a world full of things more troubling than a red carpet.
    I can think of a world full of things more troubling than a Charlton loss, a poor performance or a shit signing. Doesn’t mean we all don’t come on here to put a point across. It’s a discussion forum after all. 
  • I would say you'd be much better off giving very cheap season tickets each year to under 16s, as long as they're paired with an adult ticket. 

It’s not binary.
    It’s all about visibility - not a problem to me.  
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

I don't see it as pandering at all. It's a unique image and nothing else. It's not like they'll be an actual red carpet at The Valley for the owners to walk on.
  • cafctom said:

They probably have the biggest pull of any team in L1, to not do so would be ridiculous. 
    Wonder if we're hoping to appear on Welcome to Wrexham if its been renewed for this season

Bit more exposure for the club, even though we'll clearly be the "baddies"
  • The club would be stupid not to lean into the Wrexham / Hollywood thing to generate local interest and increase the gate.

It’s going to have zero impact on people’s enjoyment of the game come Saturday the 26th October so I have no idea why people are getting in such a state about it.
    👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Some of our fans give the impression they will be in a semi permanent state of unhappiness if we get promoted and start playing teams with a bit of “personality”.
  • Mark Goldberg is universally regarded as a twat. It’s good for the club to be associated with him.

Of course none of us have any view of the commercials at play here, but based on the rates I know social media “influencers” can command (demand) I’d suggest his fee is well into 4 figures. In the scheme of things, not a lot.

BUT, social media is all about clicks, marketing and affiliated sales as a  result of the “influence”.

I suspect we will return peanuts on the investment. It’s up there with the sofa and sex on the pitch.

Sometimes brand reputation is worth more than the marginal generation.

I think your post is a bridge too far. 
    ?
  • Should've got a genuine superstar in like Ian Beale
  • Stig said:
    As a club we have an aging demographic and that's a problem. The board is surely right to try and do something about that. It really doesn't matter whether their attempts to reach out to the yoof appeal to me or any of the other old gits on here, because it's not designed for us. That said, it would be interesting to know what the overall strategy is with this. Several people have said that will raise our profile (or words to that affect), but so what? If the local, and perhaps not so local, youngsters become aware that we exist and that we occasionally have games that pit us against the likes of The Mighty Wrexham what does that matter if we don't convert that to getting bums on seats? Where I struggle with this, is that there seems to be a massive disconnect between getting people to tune in to see some overexcited Manc waffling on and getting people to actually come along and say they are Charlton fans. How are the club going to build on this tactic, to create something sustainable?

Is the club right to try this approach? Sure they are, there's little to be lost. Are us old git right to be cynical about it? Of course, it is after all, more than a little bit unique. What I'd far rather see the cub do is to try a technique that some of the more radical clubs have used to great success in rejuvenating their fan bases. That is, actually winning things. 
    As an old git I can agree with this.

Don’t know why it will “embarrass” anyone. Never heard of him and wouldn’t pass comment without knowing something about him. 
    Skimmed through a few YouTube hits that came up on a search and it seems he operates in several different areas. Ignored his Man U ones and his cooking exploits which surprised me.

Only one I watched right through was boring but was an insight into the footy YouTube phenomena - I suspect of interest only to those with an interest in the phenomena of footy YouTube channels! 

He tried not to brag but couldn’t help it. Bit like a self-fellatio artist being modest about his manhood. But he’s no fool and 
    he obviously knows how to make money exploiting the demand for unfiltered digital live content.

Will watch what he says about Charlton but if it helps him get viewers and CAFC to benefit somehow - no problem.
  • Off_it said:
    Major said:
    Yes, it is an indication of where our club is, so wake up and smell the coffee.

We are in the THIRD Division. None of us want to be.

Some initiatives are being put forward to market the club using a Social Media football platform that has a lot of interest.

Potentially, more income and certainly more potential for investment. 

What would people rather do - print CAFC stickers for thermos flasks and zimmer frames?

As far as I'm concerned, whatever brings more interest, income and investment into our club is alright with me.

I'm in the 75 year old 'demographic' and this whining about the club's Image being embarrassed  is complete cobblers from people who can't handle the commercial realities of the need to keep moving with the times.

LOL.

I think it's you that doesn't understand the "commercial realities" of football mate. Putting a few extra quid in the coffers is like spitting in the sea - you may as well run a tombola.

Of course the club needs to move with the times. But not at the cheap and tacky end of the scale. May as well start selling dildos in the club shop. Well, it's more money, isn't it?
    I understand the commercial sense in getting more bums on seats and using up to date forms of marketing communication to try and make that happen. Thanks for setting me straight,though. Where would we be without you.
  • I think as mentioned before (when discussing the fanzone etc), this is all a strategy to get a more youthful audience which makes sense when you consider that we have an aging fanbase who will (generally) stop attending in the next ten years through no fault of their own. As long as they arent forcing people to watch or making you take part i dont see why it would bother anyone ? As i mentioned before if i go to a restaurant and see a wheelchair ramp i dont assume they don't want my custom, i assume they just want to be accessible to as many people as possible.

All that said it would be quite funny if we can all sing "Goldbridge your a *insert expletive of your choice*" whilst he livestreams.
  • I think as mentioned before (when discussing the fanzone etc), this is all a strategy to get a more youthful audience which makes sense when you consider that we have an aging fanbase who will (generally) stop attending in the next ten years through no fault of their own. As long as they arent forcing people to watch or making you take part i dont see why it would bother anyone ? As i mentioned before if i go to a restaurant and see a wheelchair ramp i dont assume they don't want my custom, i assume they just want to be accessible to as many people as possible.

All that said it would be quite funny if we can all sing "Goldbridge your a *insert expletive of your choice*" whilst he livestreams.
    Is the average age of our fan base higher than at any previous point?

Biology dictates that fans will get older and stop going. The issue is if they are not being replaced by new fans. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that. 

That of course doesn't mean you don't market to attract a new audience - its just how that is done effectively. Target 10,000 was effective. Target 40,000 would have been effective. Using Mark Goldbridge is pissing in the wind and a waste of the clubs time. 

Over and above that, it's up there with all of the other cringy shit we have had like the sofa and sex on the pitch. If the pricks in Surrey were doing this, we'd be creaming our pants about it.  

There is one indisputable fact - our support is higher at times of relative success, and is directly related to our league position.

It has always been the case, and always will be.

Win games, get promoted. That will bring plenty of new fans to the club.
    And losing regularly to bang average L1 teams is far more cringe worthy than anything you've mentioned so far.