Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mark Goldbridge working with the club?

Comments

• The cost/benefit analysis will be important with this kind of stuff. 

They will never admit to how much they're paying him though. 

It's only 'smart' if it's worth the expense. 
  • The cost/benefit analysis will be important with this kind of stuff. 

They will never admit to how much they're paying him though. 

It's only 'smart' if it's worth the expense. 

I'll give it till the end of the season.
  • The way I see it, it's just a huge shame to see how far we have fallen. Only time we sell out the Valley is when the sidemen are in town, Wrexham billed as a huge game (even my friends are saying the same ffs) and now in a desperate attempt to generate interest, we have turned to a popular Man United streamer. All on top of a club historic low finish. 

That's the sad part.

Do I think its a decent idea? Yes, Mark Goldbridge is bigger than Charlton on social media and generates more interest overrall (sad but true) and the club are following in the foot steps of other clubs on the decline and using a 'celebrity' to boost some revenue.

Do I think it will work? Absolutely not. It will be a one off thing, maybe more than once, but ultimately Goldbridge will want to be back doing Man United focused content, as that's where his money comes from, and we won't just suddenly have a bunch of new fans because a social media influencer takes a part time interest. 

I'd actually argue it does more harm to us from a professional standpoint as it makes Goldbridge look like the A side, and makes us look a bit desperate to other fans of professional football clubs. Hasn't exactly gone down well with the majority of our fans looking at social media. 

Either way, he comes across a nice bloke and at least the club are trying something. It doesn't impact my day, hopefully it gives us some positive attention.

Ultimately Charlton need to be good at football, that's all that matters when it's all said and done, publicity stunts won't cut it long term in league1.
    This is the thing really. The one thing that will bring interest and supporters will be simply winning football games and moving up the ladder. 

This kinda stuff won't do anything for us in the long run if we continue to be poor. 
  • The way I see it, it's just a huge shame to see how far we have fallen. Only time we sell out the Valley is when the sidemen are in town, Wrexham billed as a huge game (even my friends are saying the same ffs) and now in a desperate attempt to generate interest, we have turned to a popular Man United streamer. All on top of a club historic low finish. 

That's the sad part.

Do I think its a decent idea? Yes, Mark Goldbridge is bigger than Charlton on social media and generates more interest overrall (sad but true) and the club are following in the foot steps of other clubs on the decline and using a 'celebrity' to boost some revenue.

Do I think it will work? Absolutely not. It will be a one off thing, maybe more than once, but ultimately Goldbridge will want to be back doing Man United focused content, as that's where his money comes from, and we won't just suddenly have a bunch of new fans because a social media influencer takes a part time interest. 

I'd actually argue it does more harm to us from a professional standpoint as it makes Goldbridge look like the A side, and makes us look a bit desperate to other fans of professional football clubs. Hasn't exactly gone down well with the majority of our fans looking at social media. 

Either way, he comes across a nice bloke and at least the club are trying something. It doesn't impact my day, hopefully it gives us some positive attention.

Ultimately, Charlton need to be good at football, that's all that matters when it's all said and done, publicity stunts won't cut it long term in league1.
    I’d even settle for “less shit at football”
  • Thought one of those sidewaysmen was a Charlton fan hence their games being at The Valley a couple of times.  They are bigger than this fella aren't they
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought one of those sidewaysmen was a Charlton fan hence their games being at The Valley a couple of times.  They are bigger than this fella aren't they
    150million followers over various accounts 

Slightly more than the Forest fan with a fake name
  • sam3110 said:
    I dread to think how much money we're throwing his way for this. I can be filmed being unfunny whilst watching Charlton for 2 hours, at least I'm actually a fan of us, instead of some no-mark from Nottingham with a fake name being a plastic rent-a-fan for ManUre
    It's sponsored by Meantime Brewery, so no need to dread how much money we're spending on this unique marketing idea. 

Obviously ideally it would be with a Charlton fan, but unfortunately at this moment, there isn't a Charlton fan YouTuber out there with over a million followers (hopefully one day). I'm sure the club would be bringing them in to this instead of Goldbridge if the numbers were available. 
    Don't worry mate, I'll do it. Already 0.1% of the way there and only been doing it for a year, piece of cake 
    Easy stuff mate. Two years time, when we're in the Premier League, you'll be on The Overlap with Neville and Carragher. 

• No idea who the bloke is but if he raises our profile and gets more youngsters wanting to follow Charlton I don't see it as a bad thing 
    I’ve seen a couple of this guy’s videos - he’s an unironically Alan partridge style man in his 40s. .  I wonder if that is appealing to youngsters 
  • edited October 12
    We so need to up the amount of younger people who will come to The Valley on a regular basis (far too many of our "legacy" fans are simply not coming).

No idea if this will result in more younger people coming to The Valley but does show the current SMT thinking is better than any of their predecessors in the last 15 years
  • edited October 12
    How long after the Wrexham game will he depart the club?
    Gets an increase of followers in the states and goes.

• edited October 12
    This will pass me by registering zero in terms of my interest in it. That isn't a critisism. I'm just not the target audience and I accept the Club is trying to broaden it's appeal.

We've nothing to hide or be ashamed of by being exposed to whoever tunes in I presume, other than playing crap, which doesn't reflect on fans anyway and is to be expected in L1. It won't make us a laughing stock! The last few years have only gone to show that we already are..

• I can't see why people are moaning about this. If it brings more young fans to the Valley, who might become longer term fans, why not? I'm pleased the SMT are trying to broaden our appeal. We all start somewhere. 
  • Its hard enough to  keep 3 of my grankids who have already got season tickets to want to go now, they didnt come to the birmingham game because of the previous form leading up to it and are now finding it boring and choosing to do other things,my son in law takes them to some away games, some Dulwich, Liverpool games and cray valley as they play for their junior teams,might be better to invest in how to keep the youngsters weve got attending and i think winning and watching entertaining football,scoring some goals and keeping hold of there heroes for more than 1 year might help,they all loved dobbo and alfie and i think lost a bit of interest when they both went.
    This Goldbridge thing is as Off_it  has said is Cheap, tatty, throwaway, gimmicky. 
  • Sponsored links:

• redman said:
    I can't see why people are moaning about this. If it brings more young fans to the Valley, who might become longer term fans, why not? I'm pleased the SMT are trying to broaden our appeal. We all start somewhere. 
    Spoiler: it won't. 

Extra people will be watching for Goldbridge and will leave next week to go watch him watching Manchester United again. 
  • Some of our fans are miserable fuckers.
    The owners want to try something new to try to raise the clubs profile and before we even know if it works or not it's already a crap idea. 
    I had never heard of Goldbridge until he was mentioned on here and it may not work but sometimes you have to try different things. Some will work some won't but if you don't try them you'll never know.  
    It may not result in a big increase in attendances but, who knows, we may sell a bit more merchandise which adds a few more quid in the coffers.
    Its all bloody sizzle though, we need some sausage! Suzi where are you?
    The owners want to try something new to try to raise the clubs profile and before we even know if it works or not it's already a crap idea. 
    I had never heard of Goldbridge until he was mentioned on here and it may not work but sometimes you have to try different things. Some will work some won't but if you don't try them you'll never know.  
    It may not result in a big increase in attendances but, who knows, we may sell a bit more merchandise which adds a few more quid in the coffers.
    Agree if you don't try you will never find out what works and what does not and at least its not as bad as previous owners crypto company on the shorts
    My thoughts exactly.
  • edited October 12
    Whatever happened to some bird getting rogered on the centre circle to get people talking about the club?

Games gone.
    Always said it should've been a couple of lezzas if they wanted it to work. Sex sells, especially bird on bird
  • Gribbo said:
    Whatever happened to some bird getting rogered on the centre circle to get people talking about the club?

Games gone.
    Always said it should've been a couple of lezzas if they wanted it to work. Sex sells, especially bird on bird
    Yeah Katrien should have gotten properly involved.