Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlie Methven and Gavin Carter at Bromley Addicks

Comments

• Gribbo said:
    Sage said:
    Doubt I’ll be able to make this, unfortunately.

Would love to know what the realistic plans for The Valley is going forward. Would love to know why no one in any kind of position identified the glaring lack of creativity and whether this is an urgent priority to be addressed.

Can see Methven really using as much PR skills as possible though without really giving a clear answer to some questions. 
    I think he's well within his rights to say that they feel they've supported the manager, and cover themselves by saying the manager still nas the backing of the board
    Nathan Jones has the full backing of the board & CM has never seen a manager work as hard.
    I was saying to my lad that after Tuesdays debacle the SMT should have come out & publicly backed him. Quell all the keyboard warriors & get everyone inside again. 
  • I really wish I could attend, but distance and health won't allow me to.
    I would like to ask, "leaving soundbites and platitudes to one side, what is the aim for this ownership, what are the milestones and what happens if they are not achieved in a reasonable timescale?"
    I don't want to hear about 5 yr plan nonsense, this club won't grow until we're out of this Division, and that needs to happen this/next season. Do they realise crowds will ONLY come back when we're playing attractive and winning football....fan zones won't cut it!
    Will anybody, maybe not in so many words ask this and follow up with secondary questions?
    Thanks 
    I answered above. Sustainsble growth within SCMP & we have the 4th largest playing budget.

We need to increase revenues and are by bringing back in house hospitality & the retail.
    I can’t recall the figures but revenue is up possibly 20% (did he say) and costs have been reduced by retaining less academy players that we don’t think will “make the grade” as one example.
  • The scouting and recruitment has generally been shockingly awful. None of REG, Gillesphey, Small, Docherty, A Campbell , Ahadme look much good 
    Mitchell is starting to look a bit slow and laboured after a good start. Coventry is half decent ( although not as good as Dobson)  but can’t take set pieces and he has to do it all the time. Ramsey is a good player 
    Possibly too early to tell ( hopefully) on Godden 
    anyway the overall success hit rate is woeful 
    Feel free to ask who is responsible because I’m certainly willing to point the finger at Andy Scott !  

The answer given was that whoever identifies the players Nathan Jones has the final say, assuming it is within budget and SCMP.
  • Chunes said:
    Can't attend tonight, wish I could. Be great if they could be asked about the food and drinks / service, and if it will ever improve. 
    The answer is always yes and the outcome is always no.
    May be Charlie will take notice as the loss of revenue affects all owners and being in the pub game himself he could find a solution. Getting some capable staff would be a good start. 
    Revenue from the bars, hospitality & retail is all well up ( think CM said £2M but seems high so not sure).
  • Gribbo said:
    Sage said:

Would love to know what the realistic plans for The Valley is going forward. Would love to know why no one in any kind of position identified the glaring lack of creativity and whether this is an urgent priority to be addressed.

Can see Methven really using as much PR skills as possible though without really giving a clear answer to some questions. 
    I think he's well within his rights to say that they feel they've supported the manager, and cover themselves by saying the manager still nas the backing of the board
    Nathan Jones has the full backing of the board & CM has never seen a manager work as hard.
    I was saying to my lad that after Tuesdays debacle the SMT should have come out & publicly backed him. Quell all the keyboard warriors & get everyone inside again. 
    CM was reluctant to publicly back him for the obvious reason that it is often interpreted by fans as the opposite.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:

They would like to purchase The Valley.
    They are strengthening the relationship with RBG especially via Paul Elliot.
    The Valley is worthless if/as RBG do not permit devolpment.
    They are confident that s deal can be done.
    Negotiations are taking place, but not in an urgent way.

Wasps moving in is unlikely (as they don’t even exist at present).

They can’t realistically comment on the lack of creativity as they are not making footballing decisions, but as fans can see this is an issue.

Maybe I am splitting hairs a little here but that is not entirely what I heard tonight. 

CM said they would like to "secure our long term future" at The Valley and are talking to the Duchatelets.

When pressed on price discussions they said they have not discussed price yet !!

I got the distinct impression that "secure our long term future at The Valley" really meant a longer lease, CM slipped up at one point and used the word rent when talking about securing our future.

I guess fans may not care as long as we stay there but that was my recollection of the conversation.
    Agreed & am happy to be corrected/better answers given as it’s getting late and I’m flagging.
  • Chunes said:
    Can't attend tonight, wish I could. Be great if they could be asked about the food and drinks / service, and if it will ever improve. 
    The answer is always yes and the outcome is always no.
    May be Charlie will take notice as the loss of revenue affects all owners and being in the pub game himself he could find a solution. Getting some capable staff would be a good start. 
    Revenue from the bars, hospitality & retail is all well up ( think CM said £2M but seems high so not sure).
    Thank you CE

• Gribbo said:
    Think more searching questions should be levelled at Jones at this point tbh. It's not like he's not had the backing
    I agree. But someone could, indirectly, by asking Charlie about our transfer and wages budget for this season compared with Wrexham's. (Forget Birmingham, it's a grotesque aberration). Charlie may try to deflect by saying that actual fees  and wages can never be known, but in truth he has a spreadsheet which gives him a very good idea.

Ask him, somebody, 
    We have the 4th largest playing budget (don’t know about Wrexham).
    At least they have something in common with plenty of our fans who don’t know about Wrexham and happily proclaimed they wouldn’t be involved, may struggle and we’d finish above them 
  • TC I believe played in the right position is worthy of a starting spot and one of our more threatening starters 
    KA he’s league two for now with potential to play up eventually 
    DK I’m afraid will not make it at this level ,  I’ve never seen any footballing ability that makes me think he’s got something that could lead to a decent (league one and above career)

• Dizzle said:
    Hoping to make it home in time to make this. Will be on my own though
    Any chance of asking the question I posed on this thread yesterday mate? No worries if not.
    I did make it in the end but didn’t look at this thread again until this morning, sorry mate! Plenty of strategy questions were asked, albeit not so much about the plan if it doesn’t work longer term.
  • Would be good to know how it is deemed that not keeping May and Dobson and CBT and 'replacing' them with far inferior/ inadequate players is deemed a good move.

What is the plan now that the 888 nonsense has gone out the window. 

I asked this at length on a couple of occasions and I sensed CM was getting a bit annoyed/frustrated etc.

Re CBT it was take the money in the spring or he was walking for free in the summer and he had made up his mind he was going.

Dobbo was offered a very good rise which he turned down and accepted a better offer from the Hungarian team.

The sale of May was down to his wife wanting to move north, Jones happy to take the fee for rebuilding the squad and May wanting to move for a large pay rise.

The plan is to grow all aspects of the club gradually, increasing the fan base locally and out into Kent and improve annually within the SCMP.
    Thanks mate 👍 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think given what is written on another forum and elsewhere on the internet that a question about our Asian minority investors, ACA would be appropriate, given they seemingly have announced they will not invest any further into the Belgium club Deinze they own outright leaving them on the brink of bankruptcy.
    Do they remain committed to us or trying to exit us too etc.

The investors invest proportionately.
    So a 20% investor puts in 20% etc.
    ACA are a small investor and their situation is not significant and not a great concern.
    Cue the ceo of ACA suddenly representing all things cafc on every media outlet within 6 months.
  • aliwibble said:
    Can someone clarify SCMP for me please? I tried googling, but pretty sure we're not trying to improve in the South China Morning Post.
    https://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php
  • My concern is that it has always been muted that a team has a style of play from youth to first team, with the way Jones likes to play football will the ethos of what has been coached for years in the Academy change ?
    Not really. On a technical level they will be learning the same stuff, tactically they will learn different ideas to pre NJ but it will just expand their tactical knowledge
  • On my way now, I have my own questions in mind, but I don't mind asking for someone if it's an important question. 

I.e., I'm not willing to ask what Charlie Methvens favourite football chant is. :) 
    CM only got the proper hump when Braziliance suggested that TC, KA and DK weren’t good enough to be starting.
    His reply was well that’s your opinion.

The issue being that the owners wanted a London club with a strong academy and therefore you can’t fully develop these players unless they get into the first team.
    With the greatest respect to the players I mentioned, as I really like them, they just aren't. If our primary objective is promotion, which it should be, those lads shouldn't be starting. They'll improve by being around the first team and getting minutes and being subs. They wouldn't start for Birmingham or Bolton, so they shouldn't start here imo.

What he says is a good strategy in theory, but it's also a flawed one in current practice, as you'd never build a team strong enough for promotion. All the youth that would be good enough, would only be sold like Lookie, Konsa, Gomez etc. The only way you can truly utilise youth and play them in the teams is in the upper leagues, isn't realistic in league 1. 

He was dismissive of your question about the transfer fees, and tried to make a fool of your maths, but it was a valid question. Our transfer budget wasn't significant and we didn't spend much.

He can say we spent double other league 1 teams but the stats online suggest we didn't and even if we did, it's not much of a brag anyway as we spent it poorly. He alluded to money being spent on Coventry but that's now been cleared up as no fee. 

All in all, I think he talks well, and he's a good spokesman, he'd make an excellent politician, but there was a bit of dodging as expected, and their plan isn't a great one imho. I still have my doubts about them. A couple of billionaires in love with a football club, would have made more of an impact. 

Finally, his comments about youth were wide of the mark, very wide. Young fans will be harder to retain if we stay in this league/remain bad at football, no amount of Chicken George or a free drink will change that. No offense chicken george.
    Not saying you are wrong (I agree with you on Kanu and Anderson), but our last promotion team had Phillips, Dijksteel, Aribo and Grant as regular starters and then Lapslie and Morgan squad players. It can be done