Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tennis - US Open

Wow , Laura Robson just beat kim clijsters.

Comments

• wow , wasn't clijsters 5-2 up first set ?
  • Yes she was , Robson was brilliant.
  • Clijsters last ever singles match. Well done Laura!
  • Breakthrough win. Superb.
  • Could be a big moment in Robson's career. Hopefully this will give her the confidence and belief to go on and beat other top players, and not fall away in the second/third sets as she often does. I think this and the silver in the Olympics could really spur her on.
  • Nice one, it's good to see a bunch of British ladies playing a decent level of tennis. Wish the same was true of the men apart from Murray.
  • I wonder how much the Olympics experience helped Laura.

I feel a bit sorry for Clijsters - she would obviously have hoped to go out on a high.
  • Had intended to watch the para opening ceremony but flicked over during the break and was glued. Fantastic win, the best of her career to date and well deserved. Her ability to win the big points was not expected and very encouraging.
  • another tough match coming up against Li Na though. will she have enough there to take on the WTA ranked no.8?

another tough match coming up against Li Na though. will she have enough there to take on the WTA ranked no.8?

Yes beat her to make last 16.

• Sponsored links:

• Dansk_Red said:

another tough match coming up against Li Na though. will she have enough there to take on the WTA ranked no.8?

Yes beat her to make last 16.

Great win .. Robson hits the ball VERY hard .. when she gets a bit more mobile she'll be a top ranker
  • This is really great news. Well done Laura!
  • Can't believe LR has gone and done it again.
  • Read yesterday she's the youngest woman in the top 100 - bright future.
  • Sam stoser up next. Can she beat the reigning us open champion?
  • Probably not, but I thought that about Li Na!
  • johnny73 said:

Sam stoser up next. Can she beat the reigning us open champion?

If she keeps up this level of performance then yes , needs to keep her head together , she's got a coach for the first time i believe , she's improved a lot since Wimbledon , needs to keep the momentum going.

Didn't realise till recently that you only make money in Tennis if you are in the top 100, due to the cost of travel etc , now Laura's in the top 100 , got a coach she could easily get into the top 50 if she continues at this rate.

• Regardless of these results I think she will be a top twenty player.
  • I think the silver medal - albeit in the mixed doubles has given her some belief. I hope so. We have been without a decent woman's singles player for years.
  • Another good win for Murray, he was crusing but the heat and everything seemed to get to him in the 3rd set. He overcame his problems to win in four, 18months ago he would have lost this match. He has to be favourite to win this now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Laura Robson is working with Andy Murray's fitness coach and is already moving better. Definitely think she can break the top 50 and has the potential to do even better
  • Great time to be a British sports fan !!

Wonder whether our footballers will do us proud in the WC qualifiers ?
  • Qualifying for WC's is not a problem for us these days, it's the competeing in the finals that we struggle with.
  • RobbieT said:

Another good win for Murray, he was crusing but the heat and everything seemed to get to him in the 3rd set. He overcame his problems to win in four, 18months ago he would have lost this match. He has to be favourite to win this now?

Love your optimism.

• RobbieT said:

Qualifying for WC's is not a problem for us these days, it's the competeing in the finals that we struggle with.

Fair enough Robbie but I really meant will they perform with some degree of passion & total commitment in the way that our athletes, tennis players and, most of the time, our cricketers have this summer & as a result, make us proud of them ?

Just seems a looong time ago that I felt a real love for our national team....
  • I agree with you. I don't think I will feel it whilst the perennial under achievers like Terry, Lampard, Cole (A), Gerrard, Downing, and Rooney are still involved.
  • Cmon Laura, been looking forward to this all day! If she wins, it will be extra sweet considering it's against an Australian ;)
  • robson about to lose unfortunately but shes done far better than expected
  • Andy Roddick is through in his last ever tournament. Be great to see him get to the final.
  • robson needs to work on her serve.