Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v. Sheffield Wednesday post match views 2013

Comments

• Very annoyed:

• Lots oc complaints about dervite playing cm...

The reason for this was because their beast of a number 34 (7ft tall bloke) was winning everything in the air. His header lead to the goal. I thought bringing on dervite helped prevent against his threat.

I didnt like stephens on the right, need him in the centre and getting on the ball
  • After the Brighton game where it finally looked like the midfield and attack were starting to click, I would not have meddled with either today. Wilson could have stayed in midfield with Andy Hughes slotting in at right back. Their left winger was not particularly pacey and Hughes/Wilson would have handled him just fine.
  • Didn't think Wednesday were any better than us and a draw was fair.

We dominated the game from start to finish, we gifted you the goal, then you had one chance at the end - that was it, not here to be a wum either but after that I'm gutted, but having said that i'd of taken a point before it kicked off.
    I am sure that I recall you saying on another thread that you couldn't make the game today? If that's the case, I am not sure you can make a balanced judgement and make such sweeping statements like 'we dominated the game from start to finish'! Trust me, 'you' didn't! You don't want to listen to all you hear on a Radio Sheffield match commentary.

The 'massive' played their part in an abysmal match played between two teams who are in a relegation fight.
  • Very annoyed:

That does look offside.
  • Very annoyed:

How's the Lino not given that?!!!!!
  • vff said:

RedChaser said:

Am I missing something here, what actually did Wickham do that everyone is wetting themselves over?

Same here. Looked and played like a big lump to me.

Quality in movement and possession and looked dangerous on the ball. Would walk into the Charlton attack without any difficulty. IMHO.
    Didn't see too much movement myself and felt our centre backs handled him comfortably apart from the offside goal.

• edited December 2013
    Embarassing for that lino. I even called it from the NE corner, you might've heard me if you sit in that area........
  • edited December 2013
    vff said:

RedChaser said:

Am I missing something here, what actually did Wickham do that everyone is wetting themselves over?

Same here. Looked and played like a big lump to me.

Quality in movement and possession and looked dangerous on the ball. Would walk into the Charlton attack without any difficulty. IMHO.
    Well as we have only got one decent forward that wouldn't be difficult would it? :0) But seriously I never felt concerned at all when he got the ball and thought our CBs had no problem dealing with him. And he would not be on my shopping list in the transfer window either, RD please note.
  • Sponsored links:

• It doesnt matter if hes offside, its against Charlton so thats allowed, can you imagine if that goal had been given against Utd, City Arsenal or Chelsea you wouldnt hear the end of it.

Thats the last 2 goals we have conceded that have been practically poked in on the goaline may i ask what are linesmen there for.

We were bloody awful today, and wednesday may have been better but they are crap also. A better team would have run riot based on that perfromance.
  • Didn't think Wednesday were any better than us and a draw was fair.

We dominated the game from start to finish, we gifted you the goal, then you had one chance at the end - that was it, not here to be a wum either but after that I'm gutted, but having said that i'd of taken a point before it kicked off.
    I am sure that I recall you saying on another thread that you couldn't make the game today? If that's the case, I am not sure you can make a balanced judgement and make such sweeping statements like 'we dominated the game from start to finish'! Trust me, 'you' didn't! You don't want to listen to all you hear on a Radio Sheffield match commentary.

The 'massive' played their part in an abysmal match played between two teams who are in a relegation fight.
    Classic example of someone who doesn't read threads in full.
  • I know I shall get shot for saying this, And i'm a big CP Fan. But again he got it all wrong.... The lineup and the Subs ... 15 mins to go it could go either way Wendies pushing forward was allowing space behind there back 4. 15 mins to go bring on Sordell, he has pace and could get in behind and nick us the game, bringing on DD was just a lack of ambition, we are at home against a team in the R zone ... so we sit back and soak the pressure .. Why? and Jackson has no pace .... He isn't championship standard and he knows it. Yeah he was great for the last 3 years but we need to move on. And i will not be surprised if Powell does go when this takeover is done ... And I will back the new manager %100

Big change is needed. RD the man to do it ?

AND THAT PITCH? Sunday league team's play on better pitches was a complete embarrassment

Agree with this. I don't want Powell to go, but am getting sick of his negativity. Yet, after the Brighton game he was saying " we needed to loosen the shackles and not be so inhibited". He is really baffling me now. He seems to like inviting pressure on to the defense with his substitutions, rather than trying to win the three points.
    When he's bringing on Green and Dervite for flair then I think it says a lot about the squad and options he has available. He obviously doesn't rate Sordell.
    Damn TJ / Parkinson / Pardew / Reed / Dowie (delete as appropriate) for bringing him in.

• http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oUUdpco-lJg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DoUUdpco-lJg

One view from a wednesday fan some interesting view
    Over to yours
  • Very annoyed:

Absolutely fuming.
    From the other end of the Upper West, I said at the time that the bloke was 2 yards offside. Disgraceful from lino and ref alike.
  • edited December 2013

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oUUdpco-lJg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DoUUdpco-lJg

One view from a wednesday fan some interesting view
    Over to yours

Sounds like he is reading it from a report and didn't actually go to the game. Turned off after a few minutes.

edit he added the video 3 hours ago so he def didn't go unless he flew home.
  • ...how can you say I should be excited about getting a point at yours when you and I both know it should've been three, some of the lads are saying the worse side we've played this season are yourselves so how does that stack up on the grand scheme of things?...

Don't kid yourself OP. We might well have been the worst side that Wednesday have played this season. In fact, in a strange way I hope we were, because I would't want to think that anyone else is having to watch worse football than that. But that doesn't mean that The Owls have anything to hoot about by any stretch of the imagination. The truth is that our two clubs mugged the rest of the league today. How either side can claim to have 'earned' a point is beyond me, it was daylight robbery. Just be grateful for the point, but take nothing else from it, because Wednesday were utter shite. They just weren't quite as utter shite as we were.

Mrs Stig, admittedly not the world's greatest football fan, fell asleep twice today. Once in the first half; once in the second. That tells you more about the game than any description of what took place on the pitch. It was dire.
  • Powell set the tone from the start by splitting up Cousins & Stephens, incomprehensible imo.

very negative feel from the off, shite game.

pitch is a disgrace.
  • edited December 2013
    Probably makes into my top ten of worst games to watch. Entertainment was limited to looking at the geezer with no shirt (that's how bad it was).

Good bits....Stephens finish was excellent (U12 defending from Sheff W), Alnwick made a good save with his feet and Wood did some good headers (except for the goal).

Bad bits....too many to mention but the squad is very thin and we're skint.

This game came too quickly after Brighton and was always going to be tough. The players haven't got anything like the ability or mental strength to re-produce the level of performance we saw on Boxing Day. Born winners can grind out a result after a supreme effort days before....teams near the bottom of the league can't. We are down there for a reason.
  • edited December 2013
    Not often I criticise Powell but his subs in the last few games have been nothing short of mystifying. Putting on Dervite and Green to defend a draw at home against one of the few lower placed teams in the league? Absolute madness.

Most of the team were shite today and the tactics were similarly awful. Jackson needs to be taken out back and shot. It's a kindness really. Evina was woeful. Green can do one.

That being said, it was only a blatantly offside goal that prevented us winning!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2013
    100% total Kak !
    a team that started with no effort and and defending a point at home------ o dear when have we seen that ? nearly every game this season.
    rubbish substitutions which left our non functioning mid field even more exposed. CP 100% at fault.

as for Wiggins and solly not being about--- do fuck off that hasnt got anything to do with the fact they are two of our primary sales ?

utter dross which should not be defended

• Very annoyed:

maybe because it got a touch off our player ???
  • edited December 2013
    Doesn't matter if its hit our player.

If a player has a shot and another player from the same team is in an offside postion, whether it hits our player or not he is still offside.
  • Very annoyed:

maybe because it got a touch off our player ???
    Doesn't matter. If their player kicked it forward then it is offside the moment he kicks it, regardless of whether it touches one of ours.

• A mess - and the game. Was really cheesed off when we were attacking down the left, couple of minutes to go, get throw - Alex Dyer watched ball run past him instead of slinging at at them and geeing on - hey ho, what do I know.

Crap game, Semedo played well
  • edited December 2013
    Basic laws of the game.............only you Golfie only you :-0
    Edit: Extract from Law 11
    'Offence
    A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:
    interfering with play or
    interfering with an opponent or
    gaining an advantage by being in that position

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside.aspx#6OOKdWC771g0tuVu.99
  • orrible
  • Bringing on Dervite made sense to deal with their increased aerial threat from Nuhiu.

Bringing on Green is hardly a defensive move, even if he was ineffective.

So I think they were the right subs to make.

However, starting with Stephens on the right is baffling. When I saw the line-up before the game I assumed Jacko would be on the left with Stewart on the right, and Stephens and Cousins as usual in midfield. Even though I can understand wanting to accommodate Jacko, what Powell did was very strange, and I hope he doesn't do it again.