Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Watford post-match views (Spoiler Alert: We're staying up!) 2014

Comments

• Options

I think Sannino deserves a go next season - last thing we want to be doing is changing managers every 6 months.

Just needs to build his own squad with permanent signings rather than loan players who have been hit and miss.

Sounds familiar!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Jesus, mate. That made me well up!

EDIT: That is, the post on the previous page about the fella's six-year-old son crying tears of joy last night made me well up.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

PBR. Just a few thoughts to sum up the evening.

Fantastic result against a filthy Watford side who can consider themselves lucky to finish the game with 10 men on the pitch. Could easily have been 8!

Playing the likes of Wilson, Cousins and Harriott in their preferred positions is always going to be better than trying to squeeze them into places that they're not comfortable.

No RD players on the pitch at any time during the game and only a couple on the bench.

Sad that we may well have seen the last of several of those players in a Charlton shirt, most especially Poyet.

Overall, delighted that we took our destiny in our own hands and didn't have to go to Blackpool needing a result and/or other results to go our way.

Now just need us, Birmingham and Doncaster to win and Millwall to lose on Saturday.

The Millwall relegation scenario would be the icing on the cake, but unfortunately that would require 3 results going our way. I think Millwall will stay up, even if they lose to Bournemouth. Bolton vs Birmingham is tough to call. Brum are on a shocking run, so I think they will lose.

I guess the permutations are Brum lose, they go down regardless. Brum get a point, Donny lose and Donny go down on goal difference. Brum win, Donny draw and Millwall lose, meaning Millwall and Doncaster are level on points, Millwall have to lose by 2 goals to go below Donny on GD. Brum win, Donny Win, Millwall draw and we beat Blackpool, as long as Blackpool don't get beat by more than 4 goals, Millwall go down on GD.

There are others, but those are the ones that are slightly more enticing for the final day.

I am just glad I do not have to watch Sky Sports News (I'm not going to Blackpool) and have to watch the dreaded as it stands table. You have that nasty feeling that we would have probably been out the bottom 3 until the 88th minute odd, then some goal goes in somewhere to sink you.

All of which makes me think back to last night with great pleasure still..........
  • Options
    QUE SERA SERA, WHATEVER WILL BE WILL BE, WE'RE NOT GOING TO WEMBLEY BUT WE'RE STAYING IN THE LEAGUE.

(i think it works - my flatmates/colleagues are certainly annoyed at me singing it all evening/morning)
  • Options
    Even in the 4th minute, 59th second of added time last night I was half convinced Charlton would find a way to balls it up. I was wrong, thank ****. Well done everyone involved, top to bottom. I just hope we don't have the same rollercoaster nightmare next season!
  • Options
    I was absolutely convinced that we'd let one in with about 5 / 10 to go to make it a bit nervy (even when they went down to 10 men)

also, Deeney is a beast up front for them, proper centre forward (ignoring his background)
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Did anybody esle notice that when Obika came on he had a piece of paper in his hand which he handed to Devet who had a quick read,screwed it up and threw it away, I would love to know what it said.

Was a love letter from me

• Options
    Keeper had no chance with that third.
  • Options
    Great strike for the third from Harriott. Arrowed right into the corner just in front of C Block where I was - lovely to see!

Deeney's strike was class though. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone in the Premiership take a chance on him this summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So flicked up , mental win

When Harriott nudged that wide to open up the space to smash home that first , the roar of relief , noise and ecstasy felt as close to anything we've had since that moment when Shaun Newton smashed the ball home against Ipswich in 1998

JJ and another Harriott rocket proved that us left footed players , just look soooooo much better than you ordinary right footers !!!!!!

The announcer at the end not realising we were safe because Brum hadn't finished and Charlton fans cheering the Brum result that helps the scum proves the freak show is still in town !

Anyway who cares for now , Riga worked his magic

Hopefully we can have a summer of decent recruitment and get ourselves a personality and be he team everyone hates cos we've out wadded them as we mix expensive signings in with our good uns before romping the league

For season 2014/15

0.25% Automatic promotion 1.75% Play-off Bants 30% 7th-12th
    60% 13th-21st 8% The Big "R"

You're offering 400-1 against automatic promotion? I'll put £5 on that...
    As you could lay that off at 300-1, I'd put on more than a fiver.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Did anybody esle notice that when Obika came on he had a piece of paper in his hand which he handed to Devet who had a quick read,screwed it up and threw it away, I would love to know what it said.

Don't throw this piece if paper on the pitch?
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

I reckon it was this, from the Paul Ince coaching manual:

http://strackattack.com/gifs/paul ince blackburn football.gif

• Options
    J that's a cracking story I bet James was buzzing
  • Options
    I don't care what anyone says, a day out at Wembley and a humping from Hull pales into insignificance compared to last night. Great night, great atmosphere and so, so, so important that we kept our championship status.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Hope it wasnt his Contract
  • Options

J that's a cracking story I bet James was buzzing

He was mate all the lads gave him high fives , great father and son moment all the lads loved it , he didnt want his millwall mates at school getting one over him , hopefully he can give it to them on monday ie going down going down.
  • Options
    It's a delicious irony that probably our best home performance of the season was achieved without a single loanee or enforced transfer from Duchatelet's increasingly absurd 'Euro-Network'. We are perfectly capable of signing our own duff players without any help from Belgium.

Harriott's brace - his first league goals for more than a year - helped us to win by two clear goals for only the second time this season. In another context, Roy Hodgson said yesterday: "I don't judge players on their last-minute form over two or three games. You don't become a good player over just two games or a bad player over two games."

Despite the euphoria of yesterday, we have played a very poor standard of football over the last two years. To compete strongly in the Championship next season our squad needs major surgery.
  • Options
    None of the films quite capture the exquisite controlled yet vicious contact Calum made when scoring the third.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Le singe est sur la branche

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:

If it had been the other way round, ie a Wayford player, i would have loved one of our players to have picked it up and read it.

The reason that the new stadium wi fi is going in is so that notes do not have to be handed around. each player will be handed a mini ipad.
  • Options

I was absolutely convinced that we'd let one in with about 5 / 10 to go to make it a bit nervy (even when they went down to 10 men)

also, Deeney is a beast up front for them, proper centre forward (ignoring his background)

And me. I made the comment on the match thread.
  • Options
    Now that the euphoria and adrenaline has died down and I'm living in reality now, I would just like to say that watfords crew down the front of the stand were the cringiest fans I've ever seen. No exaggeration. Would've been alright if they were actually loud but genuinely couldn't hear them all game. The hoods up, the claps over heads, the pointing and chanting at women and kids in the east stand. Embarassing.

Rant over
  • Options
    Hamer's save to the right was quality

Didn't notice the CBs much

Solly and Fox wery good

I though Wilson was a little ineffective

Poyet immense, such composure but, I say it again, I wish he'd play a bit further up the pitch

JJ turned up big style

I think I enjoyed that more than the League 1 title

North Upper was booming

Hope Jose gets the job and hope we add a few decent signings and contracts - really hopeful for next season if that happens.
  • Options

Now that the euphoria and adrenaline has died down and I'm living in reality now, I would just like to say that watfords crew down the front of the stand were the cringiest fans I've ever seen. No exaggeration. Would've been alright if they were actually loud but genuinely couldn't hear them all game. The hoods up, the claps over heads, the pointing and chanting at women and kids in the east stand. Embarassing.

Rant over

Never as cringy as palace, I heard not one song from them - I am in the west, shows how loud The Valley was, good numbers from them considering nothing to play for / tube strike
  • Options
    I really wasn't sure we would make it before last night. It's a weak squad but, man, they have some guts.
  • Options
    Great evening - crowd got right behind the team.
    The numpty behind me who keeps slagging Harriott off was v quiet!
  • Options
    Fantastic night - all of em were brilliant (Cousins out of position - needs to play deeper), pls sign Diego
  • Options

I read every post on this thread and simply couldn't stop smiling for nearly two hours. I didn't stay up as I had to work the next day but woke up at 4.55am when the game had just finished and wanted to check the score on my mobile phone... The first thing I saw was this sentence on CAFC Wall 'JJ:It's nights like tonight which make me so proud to be captain of this great club. ' and I instantly knew we did it!!!

To be honest, back when SCP left I thought it was time for us to prepare for the worst. I didn't expect we would be able to turn things around. But slowly we started to pick up points here and there and reading people's views on this forum after every game made me think maybe, just maybe we had a chance of staying up under this new coach. Of course felt very low when we kept losing on Saturdays but that Sheffield win nine days ago eventually became another one of this season's highlights for me and for the first time ever I had the real belief that we could do it, we could stay in this league. It was the epitome of our whole season and it showed we had the character to fight back, to turn it all around.

I had a tear in my eye this morning just after I told my Mom that we're staying up. I got misty-eyed when I read Jose Riga's post-match speech this evening. I felt so happy reading all your posts. Huge well done to all the players, Riga, Dyer, Matthew, and all the fans. And last but not least, huge thanks to Chris Powell, you'll always be remembered by us as a true Charlton legend.

Like Riga said, maintaining our Championship status is an achievement as big as winning the title, especially considering the extremely difficult fixtures, the little squad we have and what's happening off the pitch. So once again, I feel truly proud to be a fan of this club.

PS. It has just occured to me that eight years ago on Apr.29 Curbs announced his decision to leave the club and it was the saddest day of my Charlton supporting life. Well, on Apr.29 this year we managed to stay up against all odds and from now on, I'll certainly remember this day with great fondness.

I love this.

It was a special atmosphere last night and reminded me that despite everything that's happened this season, I love this club. We've been through a lot worse but it's easy to forget how much you really care about Charlton when it comes down to it.

As for Jackson, he's right up there with Kinsella as a Captain. The passion he holds for our club is amazing. Don't ever write him off. How many times has he popped up with vital goals? A great leader.