Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Johnnie Jackson

I have a slight issue on here with regards to our skipper.

What I can get my head around is how some people on here are so desperate to get rid of him ?, I know he is not as good as be used to be but still we can do a lot worse.What amazes me if how I see people on here constantly say " It don't feel like proper Charlton" This man oozes "Proper Charlton" and has dug us many bad situations and scored some valuable goal s(QPR last season still gives me goosebumps) throughout his years here but what I cant understand is how he can be used as a scapegoat when played this season.

In and around our club I constantly hear how when the whole thing happen with Powells sacking JJ practically kept everything together with the squad and also keeps it close nit.
I do think he is a better player than Buyens, so out of the two I would much rather us keep him.

Im rambling on.. but my main point is, I think their is a minority miss treating in my opinion one of our most recent legends.

Comments

• One person is desperate to get rid of him.
  • Jacko is a legend.

But then you ruined it by saying he is a better player than Buyens.

Jacko is my favourite current Charlton player. But he is not in the same league in central midfield as Yoni.
  • colin1961 said:

Think he should take over the under 21 team ......

Replacing another legend in Jason?

• I do think he is a better player than Buyens, so out of the two I would much rather us keep him.

First of all - get the popcorn out, because this one will turn messy very quickly.

Jacko has been great in the past - but a better player than Buyens? Oh come on.
  • edited April 2015

• Brilliant guy, but I'm not sure he quite cuts the mustard anymore in a starting capacity. I'd love to keep him but I don't think he is an automatic pick.
  • Jacko will have a big part to play again next season. When we're on a bad run and need a lift he's the one who provides it either on the field or off it by motivating everyone.

When is he back from injury?
  • Me and my mate have been discussing where Jacko fits in now.

How about this for an idea?

Jacko becomes Charlton's "Kaiser".

Play him as a sweeper. Decent in the air, and no slouch when it comes to tackling.

As sweeper, everything is in front of him. He can see what is going on, and has "water carriers" (no insult intended) to do all the messy running. Still uses his leadership on the pitch, and will pop up with the odd goal. Use anticipation and reading of the game rather than trying to chase players about the park, which he doesn't have the legs for anymore.
  • Sponsored links:

• colin1961 said:

colin1961 said:

Why do we have to keep people because they been a legend in the past not sure Teflon falls into that group but why ?
    Euell only got the job because he was mates with Powell ?

Think Jackson would be a better person and learn the basics of management who knows future Charlton Manager something Euell will never be
    The fact of the matter is, the U21s have not been the same since Nathan Jones left.

Oh! To get Nathan back would be a dream...
  • edited April 2015
    colin1961 said:

colin1961 said:

Why do we have to keep people because they been a legend in the past not sure Teflon falls into that group but why ?

Think Jackson would be a better person and learn the basics of management who knows future Charlton Manager something Euell will never be
    Tell me then, why does Jackson deserve the job at the u'21s over Euell? You've contradicted yourself there.
  • Jacko is a legend, has been a great player for us BUT he's now shot his bolt unfortunately. Lost any of the 'pace' he had and his playing days are numbered. To suggest he is better than Buyens is absolutely bonkers.
  • He's still got a year left on his contract, and can definitely do a job for us, but won't be a first team regular. The question is whether he'd be happy staying here, and doing some coaching (and media work) or whether he'd rather be a L1 regular (and Captain) elsewhere.
  • colin1961 said:

colin1961 said:

Tell me then, why does Jackson deserve the job at the u'21s over Euell? You've contradicted yourself there.
    Would give Sol Campbell more ammunition.

On a serious note, Jase is doing a good job.
  • edited April 2015
    It's almost certainly irrelevant whether or not Jackson is "better" or "worse" than Buyens.

Jackson is our player Buyens is not. If, as seems probable, Yoni returns to Standard a fully fit Jackson could yet have a role to play.
  • He's still got a year left on his contract, and can definitely do a job for us, but won't be a first team regular. The question is whether he'd be happy staying here, and doing some coaching (and media work) or whether he'd rather be a L1 regular (and Captain) elsewhere.

THIS.

It all depends on his own views. Does he feel he can still compete for a place in the matchday squad let alone the starting 11. He is an honest pro and he will have been asking himself the question already. Does he really feel he wants to hang about the club if he isn't playing?

I have totally loved his contribution over the years here and I don't wish him to leave. But that is my own selfish reason. I am sure he will feel he still has a couple more seasons in him if not here than elsewhere. However in my own opinion, if we are to start next season as serious promotion hopefuls all sentiment has to go out the window where JJ is concerned from us and him.
  • I seem to remember the first game of our good run under guy Jacko started and receive a lot of praise for how he played until he went off injured! He was never gonna perform to his best alongside Buyens but may do a job alongside cousins as he did that game!
  • A good manager will replace players just as they topple over the hill, Liverpool used to be good at this and Curbs did it just as Kins knees went and Deano was dipping. I can see Jacko never starting a game for us again, but next season being a bench player and a team motivator as Club captain, but not match day captain.

Whether Buyens is better or not is irrelevant, as we need to be kicking on and if Buyens is not the answer then neither is Jacko.

maybe the answer is for him to drop down a division and then come back to us in 12 months time on the coaching side.
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:

Jacko is 33 in August. In my opinion i would be reluctant to let him go, especially if Buyens is not in the squad next season. To find possibly two players with the pedigree and experience to play this level may not come cheap, and would seem fool hardy when one of them is not out of contract for another season.

The key question is whether a 33 year old Jacko classes as a player who can play at this level. I would argue not.

So even if we keep him and let Buyens go, I still say we would need 2 decent championship centre mids.

Personally, I dont think he will be here, and hopefully the fans get a chance to wish him well at the end of the season (as per AFKAs thread).
  • If , as defke is saying in the Monitoring the RD Network thread, that Yoni is definitely back to Liege in the summer, then I doubt we would let JJ go.
  • Really @colin1961 are you sure? Remove a man who has been in charge of the U21's leading them to the KSC Finals for a man with no management experience at all.

Why can't he join JE as assistant?

• LenGlover said:

It's almost certainly irrelevant whether or not Jackson is "better" or "worse" than Buyens.

Jackson is our player Buyens is not. If, as seems probable, Yoni returns to Standard a fully fit Jackson could yet have a role to play.

Jacko and Buyens two totally different players.

Big respect for Jacko as he is a legend with Charlton running through his veins.

The crucial thing is to make Buyens our player and accept that Jacko will be a bit part player at best but a crucial team bonder and ambassador off the park.
  • Wish we got jacko when he was at Colchester just after we got relegated from the prem.

At the very least let him see out his contract. Then it's up to him if he wants to coach or keep playing for a couple more years.
  • Wish we got jacko when he was at Colchester just after we got relegated from the prem.

At the very least let him see out his contract. Then it's up to him if he wants to coach or keep playing for a couple more years.

Agree totally and I'm sure he can still be an important squad player, firing up the troops when we're up against it.
  • shirty5 said:

Jacko is 33 in August. In my opinion i would be reluctant to let him go, especially if Buyens is not in the squad next season. To find possibly two players with the pedigree and experience to play this level may not come cheap, and would seem fool hardy when one of them is not out of contract for another season.

The key question is whether a 33 year old Jacko classes as a player who can play at this level. I would argue not.

So even if we keep him and let Buyens go, I still say we would need 2 decent championship centre mids.

Personally, I dont think he will be here, and hopefully the fans get a chance to wish him well at the end of the season (as per AFKAs thread).
    Come along to the POTY dinner on Sunday 3rd May and give him your own personal message for his future...

And a "good luck" hug ( Like me !)

A handful of tickets still on sale but only for a few more days, folks.