Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Job interview this afternoon... is it possible to be overdressed?

Got an interview this afternoon to work in sales, selling phone contracts and broadband etc. in a high street store.

I'm feeling well prepared (although any advice you think I might need would be appreciated!!) but I'm not sure on one small detail.

I've got black smart shoes, black trousers and plain white shirt with burgundy tie. I even got a hair cut yesterday! Should I wear a suit jacket? Is it possible to overdress for an interview of this nature?

It might not seem like such a big deal to some people on here who have had careers of 40 years or more but this is the biggest opportunity I've had yet. It's just the one small detail that I'd really like assurance on.

Comments

• edited April 2015

Got an interview this afternoon to work in sales, selling phone contracts and broadband etc. in a high street store.

I'm feeling well prepared (although any advice you think I might need would be appreciated!!) but I'm not sure on one small detail.

I've got black smart shoes, black trousers and plain white shirt with burgundy tie. Should I wear a suit jacket? Is it possible to overdress for an interview of this nature?

It might not seem like such a big deal to some people on here who have had careers of 40 years or more but this is the biggest opportunity I've had yet. It's just the one small detail that I'd really like assurance on.

Wear the suit jacket - you can take it off if you feel overdressed. If you don't have it with you then you can't put it on if you feel underdressed.

The only advice I would give is, at the end of the interview, they'll say something like "do you have any questions" - you should always say something like "I just wondered if you had any other concerns as to my experience or suitability for the role ?". That way, if there's anything niggling them about you it can be addressed there and then rather than going unresolved and possibly count against you.

Good luck !
  • edited April 2015
    Personally, I'd say wear a suit. Also, make sure your shoes are polished.
    It's better to be too smart than too casual.
    Make sure you're clean shaven as well (unless you have a tidy beard).

Good luck.

PS Don't mention you're a Labour supporter :smiley:
  • Personally, I'd say wear a suit. Also, make sure your shoes are polished.
    It's better to be too smart than too casual.

This

Good luck.

And this
  • What everyone else said. Good luck.
  • Thanks guys. Was thinking it would be best to go for it but I don't wanna turn up looking a numpty!
  • Thanks guys. Was thinking it would be best to go for it but I don't wanna turn up looking a numpty!

Have you not seen phoneshop?? That's the idea!!

Sure you'll be fine!
  • Don't have your keys dangling from a chain on your belt and don't put biros in your top pocket!

On a serious note, make sure your shirt is long sleeved, not short.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wear a suit.

Wear a belt - yes, it matters

Polish your shoes

Go and get that job. Good luck

I totally agree that a belt should be worn at all times where there are belt hoops....

...BUT... it doesnt matter as my mate who is the main offender of this "crime" was successful in getting a 70k plus job withour wearing a belt the other month!
  • Make sure your tie is done up properly! Be confident, but not arrogant. Be prepared. Smile!
  • Good Luck Callum
  • You can never be overdressed. As
    Mentioned it shows respect to the company and person interviewing you.
    My first interview was selling car radios in a local shop I turned up suited and was hired on the spot because I had taken the job interview seriously by making an effort.

• Pedro45 said:

Make sure your tie is done up properly! Be confident, but not arrogant. Be prepared. Smile!

Windsor knot - it's the only way.
  • 1. Yes, you *can* be over-dressed. But what you have described sounds perfect.

2. Wear the jacket - as others have said, you can always take it off.

3. Look people in the eye. Shake hands. Remember their names (it helps to repeat their name when they introduce themselves).

4. Remember that you are giving them the opportunity to make the best decision they possibly can for their business: hiring you. So make sure you give them the best chance byt fully answering every question.

5. Pause before answering any questions. It gives yourself time to think "have I fully understood the question" before you reply.

6. Good luck. (But if you follow 1-5, you won't need much).
  • Best of luck mate.
  • Is this the first time there's been consensus on anything on Charlton Life ?
  • Some good advice here, best of luck Callum.
  • Good luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks again everyone. Some good pointers here that I hadn't thought of but make total sense.

Will be able to report back tonight...
  • Best of luck Callum.
  • se9addick said:

Is this the first time there's been consensus on anything on Charlton Life ?

No :wink:

Good luck Callum
  • se9addick said:

No, if your trousers fit you shouldn't wear a belt. Seriously
  • se9addick said:

No.
    cafcfan said:

Pedro45 said:

Make sure your tie is done up properly! Be confident, but not arrogant. Be prepared. Smile!

Windsor knot - it's the only way.
    No. Windsor knot is so dated. Look at the ties and knots that both Miliband and Cameron are wearing. We can argue all day long about their policies and their personalities but no one can argue about their impeccable (or rather their advisors' and PR teams') dress sense.

Agree on the belt. But only if it matches the shoes. Otherwise it is better to go without.

• Tor said:

se9addick said:

Sorry but... I think you should wear a belt, whether you need it or not.
    Absolutely and belt should match the colour of your shoes! Not necessarily your suit!
  • Tor said:

se9addick said:

Yes you should, it adds a touch of detail and looks smarter.