Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Johnnie Jackson

Comments

• There were only 2 highlights to the Parky era;

Signing JJ

The old guy who walked out of the West stand onto the pitch and gave PP a bollocking in the 4-0 defeat to Brighton.
  • Legend no doubt.
  • edited August 2015
    Well deserved. I hope he achieves 50 goals too.

He certainly merits it. A credit to himself and the Club.
  • Lets not get carried away here

I am a big Jonny Jackson family and supporter, he is what every club need a leader of men, someone who leads by example and is a steady 7 out of 10 across the season when selected

He is a proper professional footballer in every inch of the word, he is Mr charlton right now and I hope he stays with us until the end of his career he deserves to be settled and given a contract whenever negs are due

But he ain't a legend, if you start calling every good servant and solid player a legend then the whole turn of phrase is devalued

• Absolute legend in soo many ways! Still more than capable of starting in CM for us! I think as the season goes on we will see more and more of him! Guy likes to rotate and with injuries and suspensions (I suspect Kashi may get a few) he has a key role to play! And towards the end of the season whichever end of the table we are at his experience will be key in that final push!

Glad he's in the 200 club! Needs to get 4 more goals for us! 3 to reach 50 and 1 to cancel out the one he scored against us in the prem!
  • Sponsored links:

• Lets not get carried away here

I am a big Jonny Jackson family and supporter, he is what every club need a leader of men, someone who leads by example and is a steady 7 out of 10 across the season when selected

He is a proper professional footballer in every inch of the word, he is Mr charlton right now and I hope he stays with us until the end of his career he deserves to be settled and given a contract whenever negs are due

But he ain't a legend, if you start calling every good servant and solid player a legend then the whole turn of phrase is devalued

200 games and 47 goals from midfield are a good start, but it's his dedication to the club off the field which really shines, like the time he got the players together at the shambolic start of the Luzon era and helped turn things around when we could easily have plummeted to relegation.

Gritty helped clear the weeds from the Valley, I'm sure Jacko would have done the same
  • Welsh / Kinsella / Jackson.

Only three Captains for Charlton to have lifted existing silverware for the club... Definitely puts him in the legend status
  • came on for a few minutes yesterday .. a real Mr Cool when we're under pressure ((:>)
  • I can see a League One club offering him the manager's job within a year or two, and Charlton would probably do well to not stand in his way. He's a great man and I'm certain he will be a very fine manager.
  • Leuth said:

I can see a League One club offering him the manager's job within a year or two, and Charlton would probably do well to not stand in his way. He's a great man and I'm certain he will be a very fine manager.

Reckon he'd form a good Management team with Andy Hughes with one as the Assistant.

A League One / Two team having to rely on Youth could do a lot worse than those two
  • Not sure whether I would call him a legend or a cult hero. Jacko is one of those players who had had a massive effect all round the club, but in years to come, what players will I tell my grandkids about from my armchair......Jensen 'wow, you should have seen him when he was on song'.........Kermorgant 'never seen a better player in the air - and a free kick 25 yards out was as good as a penalty'.......Mendonca 'one of the best hat tricks you would ever see - a brilliant display of control and finishing'.

Jacko has great stats, but I am struggling to see how i would excite someone who has never seen him play. It is more the overall effect and personality of the man and for that I think he is a bit of a cult hero. Roy of the Rovers type if you like.
  • Sure I remember reading about him buying all the fans a bevvy on the way home from some third division outpost on the train home, legend for that, plus, I've had a quick couple of chats with him, comes across as a top bloke
  • Sponsored links:

• Great post Len, although the QPR game was Powells last at The Valley.

If you look not that many players have reached 200 apps for us especially over the last few decades and no player has scored as many goals as Jacko in a Charlton shirt since Carl Leaburn.
  • He captained a double winning side The People's Cup and League One.
  • Mark Kinsella played a similar number of games over a similar length of time scoring half the number of goals. Kins played with by and large immeasurably better players at a higher level. Kins also went on to have a management role, albeit not a hugely successful one.

They are comparable although most people would not consider that JJ had what it takes to play in the PL. Nevertheless, has JJ got what it takes to be called a legend? I don't think you can tell until his time with us is up and we look back. But I would say he is up there looking at the last 20 years. Certainly since we dropped out of the top flight.

Either way JJ= cult hero and you have to love the fella.
  • I think JJ is more likely to go in to the world of media rather than management. Given the work he's already done for the likes of talkSPORT.

I'd love to keep him involved in some way though, at the very least in an ambassador type role.
  • I think JJ is more likely to go in to the world of media rather than management. Given the work he's already done for the likes of talkSPORT.

I'd love to keep him involved in some way though, at the very least in an ambassador type role.

Dunno... Dont forget the Coaching Badges that he's doing, not to mention the soccer courses he's setup
  • I will never forget The People's Cup Final. What a day.
  • And he will always be a legend for having a song that had no relation to his role for his team. :-)

I have tried to start a round of "Johnnie Johnnie Jackson du du du du" but no one joined in and I was left looking like a mug!!