Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Johnnie Jackson

Comments

• Johnnie Jackson is not a Charlton legend.

He may be much admired, much loved, a stalwart, a great captain etc, but not a legend.

To be a legend, you have to virtually have 100% love and admiration from the fans. No dissenters.

Killer, Mendonca, Rufus & Kinsella come to mind.

Johnnie has far too many detractors (justified or not). Blimey there's a substantial minority who don't even think he's warranted a place in the team for 3 years.
  • Mark Kinsella played a similar number of games over a similar length of time scoring half the number of goals. Kins played with by and large immeasurably better players at a higher level. Kins also went on to have a management role, albeit not a hugely successful one.

They are comparable although most people would not consider that JJ had what it takes to play in the PL. Nevertheless, has JJ got what it takes to be called a legend? I don't think you can tell until his time with us is up and we look back. But I would say he is up there looking at the last 20 years. Certainly since we dropped out of the top flight.

Either way JJ= cult hero and you have to love the fella.

Kinsella was a better player, a PL level midfielder, but Jackson is a better captain and leader, especially when you consider the ragbag of players we've had over the last few years.
    Legend is a hard word to define, Gritty is a Charlton legend, but an average player. The likes of Costa and Simonsen are legends, but hardly played for us

• Steve Brown 283. (legend no)
    Jon Fortune 216 ( scored a legendary goal not a legend)
    Matt Holland 215( no)
    Johnnie Jackson 200 ( not yet Imo)
    Dean Kiely 248 ( best keeper of the last 20 yrs legend or not)
    Mark Kinsella 226 ( yes led us through our greatest success)
    Radostin Kishishev 200 ( no)
    Shaun Newton 285 (no)
    Chris Powell 270 ( yes Imo for playing service and managerial success)
    John Robinson 382 ( I'd say yes tbh very influencial in our promotion and prem yrs)
    Richard Rufus 323 (Yes)
    Luke Young 208 (no)

Just goes to show 200 is a land mark and a real milestone but doesn't automatically make legendary status,

Dean Kiely Is a tougher question Imo, I'd like to say yes but legends should be a tough decision based on a critera that greater minds than mine can decide

• Deano was fabulous for us but left and I think I'm right slagged us off a bit. Great player but no Charlton legend.
  • shirty5 said:

In the 200+ club and made an appearance for the club since 1/1/2000.

Steve Brown 283 NO
    Jon Fortune 216 NO
    Matt Holland 215 NO
    Johnnie Jackson 200 Almost there
    Dean Kiely 248 NO
    Mark Kinsella 226 YES
    Radostin Kishishev 200 NO
    Shaun Newton 285 NO
    Chris Powell 270 YES
    John Robinson 382 YES
    Richard Rufus 323 YES
    Luke Young 208 NO

• Deserves it own thread really be an interesting capture of opinion
  • How do you copy across threads
  • Sponsored links:

• Out of interest decided to try and find the squad list when he first joined - not sure how accurate this is but really shows how much the club has changed in the time he's been here - and he has been an integral part of our progress since then. Charlton legend, no doubt.

http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/charlton-athletic/2011/2/
  • Deano was fabulous for us but left and I think I'm right slagged us off a bit. Great player but no Charlton legend.

He had issues with Curbs after he left but i don't think he ever slagged us off.

• Steve Brown 283. (legend no)
    Jon Fortune 216 ( scored a legendary goal not a legend)
    Matt Holland 215( no)
    Johnnie Jackson 200 ( not yet Imo)
    Dean Kiely 248 ( best keeper of the last 20 yrs legend or not)
    Mark Kinsella 226 ( yes led us through our greatest success)
    Radostin Kishishev 200 ( no)
    Shaun Newton 285 (no)
    Chris Powell 270 ( yes Imo for playing service and managerial success)
    John Robinson 382 ( I'd say yes tbh very influencial in our promotion and prem yrs)
    Richard Rufus 323 (Yes)
    Luke Young 208 (no)

Just goes to show 200 is a land mark and a real milestone but doesn't automatically make legendary status,

Dean Kiely Is a tougher question Imo, I'd like to say yes but legends should be a tough decision based on a critera that greater minds than mine can decide

I'd agree with Kinsella, Powell and Rufus, but Johnny Robinson, no way a legend.
  • edited August 2015
    jams said:

Out of interest decided to try and find the squad list when he first joined - not sure how accurate this is but really shows how much the club has changed in the time he's been here - and he has been an integral part of our progress since then. Charlton legend, no doubt.

http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/charlton-athletic/2011/2/

The squad for the game three days before Jackson was signed on loan (a 2-1 loss on TV at Bristol Rovers):

----------- Elliot
    Richardson Dailly S.Sodje Basey
    ---Sam Semedo Racon Bailey
    -------Burton A.Sodje
    Substitutes
    25 Randolph, 05 Llera, 16 Wagstaff, 20 Solly (^ Basey 3'), 24 Reid (^ Semedo 61'), 09 McKenzie, 23 Mooney (^ A Sodje 46')

And for his debut five days later (a 2-0 win at home to Yeovil):

------------Elliot
    Richardson Dailly Llera Jackson
    ----Sam Racon Bailey Reid
    -------Burton Mooney
    Substitutes
    25 Randolph, 06 Semedo (^ Racon 90'), 16 Wagstaff (^ Sam 76'), 18 S Sodje, 20 Solly, 09 McKenzie, 33 A Sodje

JJ wore no.37 that day!
  • How many 350 games players have their been

• Jackson is a legend. No question
  • How many 350 games players have their been

In no particular order the ones I can think of are:

Bartram
    Peacock
    Hewie
    Smith (Norman)
    Kinsey
    Kiernan
    Hales
    Hurst (Gordon)
    Flanagan
    Leaburn
    Leary
    Berry (Les)
    Gritt
    Robinson (John)

Apologies if I've missed any! Done from memory as I've not got access to any references just now
  • If Basey hadn't got injured from that horror tackle, we wouldn't have needed to sing Jackson i the first place....?
  • Sollied said:

If Basey hadn't got injured from that horror tackle, we wouldn't have needed to sing Jackson i the first place....?

or if Parky had faith in Solly to deputise!
  • edited August 2015
    I like the fella I think he is a real asset to us and has achieved so much but surely to be a legend the bar has to be high

You can be a

Great cafc player ie Shaun Newton

An all time great ie Steve brown

A hall of fame ie Paul mortimer

Legend ie Clive mendonca

Jonny sits in the all time great or Hall of fame area

For example

Robbo scored a pen with a fracture in his leg, he cost next to nothing, and as the team and club grew so did JR in his quality and performance, to play over 350 games for us and to perform in the premier league in the way he did took Jr from Hall of fame to legend in my opinion based on the whole career that he was here for

Clive that hatrick That game it's a legends performance and history making performance

Legends should be saved for people like them, and the Jonny R status is one I could easily be convinced and converted on maybe it's not worthy of legend

Jacko just isn't in that category yet for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Legend is bandied around too much. JJ isn't there yet in my opinion, and because of his advancing years unlikely to be, but he has been a loyal servant and deserves our utmost respect for always giving his all, being a good captain and, above all, like us, obviously loving the Club. I hope he stays beyond this season in some sort of coaching capacity and I hope one day he'll be back to manage us.
  • LenGlover said:

How many 350 games players have their been

In no particular order the ones I can think of are:

Bartram
    Peacock
    Hewie
    Smith (Norman)
    Kinsey
    Kiernan
    Hales
    Hurst (Gordon)
    Flanagan
    Leaburn
    Leary
    Berry (Les)
    Gritt
    Robinson (John)

Apologies if I've missed any! Done from memory as I've not got access to any references just now
    Very impressive Len. That reminded me of, "Hagerty F; Hagerty R, Tompkins; Noble, Carrick, Robson; Crapper, Dewhurst, McIntyre, Treadmore, Davitt".

Anyway, you missed just three, Bob Curtis, Phil Warman and Colin Powell.

Screenshot 2015-08-17 01.34.27
  • the best definition of legend I could find is:

"a person whose fame or notoriety makes him a source of exaggerated or romanticised tales or exploits"

on that basis we have quite a few legends
  • I would say your right Tom in the last 15 yrs with the exception of Chris Powell I don't think we have had one

With David Whyte it was more to do with the tragic and far too soon taking away of his life, that evoked memories of the not so many that used to go to games in thar era to recall and rejoice in his brilliance

He was a truly amazing player and had he still been alive I don't think would make the legend list for me, but due to his young death in relative terms he made it on there

Legend is the highest honour to be bestowed on a player in my book and as such it shouldn't be handed out easily
  • Thing is though NLA, the game has changed in that space of 10-15 years where we are highly unlikely to get anyone who sticks around long enough to be a legend. Clubs like ours' don't have enough success to produce them regularly, which is why I think the bar doesn't need to be so high.

On a side note, I noticed that Johnnie Jackson recently tweeted that he would love to be manager of Charlton one day. Would be great to have someone like him in the hot seat one day - as a character he seems made for it.
  • edited August 2015
    I dunno I think jonnie is not far from being a legend just not there yet, Jordan cousins if he sees the contract out definitely has the makings of a future captain and with the right squad around him and a bit of fortune with a promotion to the top tier and us maintaining that status, who knows

Jonnie as Mgr would be a great call one day

Legends shouldn't come around every season or few seasons they should be saved for real achievement and efforts that separate them from others
  • Think back the past 5/6 seasons and most of my favourite Charlton moments have come from Jacko.

The free kicks against the Sheffields
    The last minute winner vs QPR
    Pulling us back against Cardiff

I hope he can give us a few more before the end of the season