Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Johnnie Jackson

Comments

• When put like that you may be right, but for me I think another season or two possibly continuing to show club leadership even if the games and Mins on pitch reduce and I may agree,

I can't have a bad word said against him myself, I think he is a real footballer and a man's man, leader of men I just don't think legend status is easily achieved
  • I dont think Luke Young ever liked playing for us
  • I think the only thing stopping people considering Jacko a legend is the level we've been at while he's been with us. I think that the opposite it true though. Jackson's stuck with Charlton during one of the most difficult and bizarre times in our club's history. In that time he was signed on loan by Parky as an emergency left back where he performed well, signed permanently to play left midfield where he started scoring a ludicrous number of goals for a midfielder. He captained a team of entirely new arrivals under Powell and led us to the title with our highest ever points total, scoring 13 goals including consecutive free kicks against the Sheffield teams. He was also instrumental in bringing a feel-good factor back to the club and helping fans feel connected to the players again.

He then dragged the team through difficult times in our first season back in the Championship when all the money suddenly vanished, including games that will never leave my memory like the 5-4 against Cardiff and the incredible New Year's Day 4-3 against Watford. Both of those results were achieved because of Jackson's goals, but also his sheer force of personality. The next season there was the Ipswich leveller and the last minute winner against QPR. The best thing is all those goals clearly meant just as much to him as they did to us.

Add to that his attitude towards the fans during and after games, him buying a round for everyone on the train after Sheffield Wednesday, asking the fans what the other scores were during the Carlisle match, spending the entire day speaking to fans on Twitter after the Sheffield United cup debacle, helping everyone keep moving forward despite the many changes in ownership and management. When you look back in this period he'll be the constant and the face people remember. I've probably forgotten stuff as well. Not sure what else a player can do to be considered a legend but it can't be much more than that.

Ok. If he buys me a pint, I'll call him a legend.

PS What was he tweeting after the Sheff U game ?
  • I think the only thing stopping people considering Jacko a legend is the level we've been at while he's been with us. I think that the opposite it true though. Jackson's stuck with Charlton during one of the most difficult and bizarre times in our club's history. In that time he was signed on loan by Parky as an emergency left back where he performed well, signed permanently to play left midfield where he started scoring a ludicrous number of goals for a midfielder. He captained a team of entirely new arrivals under Powell and led us to the title with our highest ever points total, scoring 13 goals including consecutive free kicks against the Sheffield teams. He was also instrumental in bringing a feel-good factor back to the club and helping fans feel connected to the players again.

He then dragged the team through difficult times in our first season back in the Championship when all the money suddenly vanished, including games that will never leave my memory like the 5-4 against Cardiff and the incredible New Year's Day 4-3 against Watford. Both of those results were achieved because of Jackson's goals, but also his sheer force of personality. The next season there was the Ipswich leveller and the last minute winner against QPR. The best thing is all those goals clearly meant just as much to him as they did to us.

Add to that his attitude towards the fans during and after games, him buying a round for everyone on the train after Sheffield Wednesday, asking the fans what the other scores were during the Carlisle match, spending the entire day speaking to fans on Twitter after the Sheffield United cup debacle, helping everyone keep moving forward despite the many changes in ownership and management. When you look back in this period he'll be the constant and the face people remember. I've probably forgotten stuff as well. Not sure what else a player can do to be considered a legend but it can't be much more than that.

Ok. If he buys me a pint, I'll call him a legend.

PS What was he tweeting after the Sheff U game ?
    Basically anyone who tweeted him regarding the poor performance he replied, held his hand up and apologised saying it was unacceptable they had to pay money and travel to see that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Also, I'm not sure you could see it but on the telly you could see jacko was hurting during the game. Pulling and throwing away players who were whining to the ref or getting in squabbles with the sheff Utd players like he was some pissed off parent dealing with a naughty toddler.
  • After the Sheffield game he made a conscious effort to individually respond to absolutely everybody who had messaged him that day. He realized how much that result hurt the fans.

He also holds the title of being the captain during our record breaking league season - no other player in our history can lay claim to that.
  • Careful - it depends on whether we're talking about the man himself, in possession of his own legend and its contents, or 'Johnnie Jackson' the construct, CAFC club legend and immortal bearer of the Valiant sword... ;)
  • edited August 2015
    Stig said:

Jackson Sword

Well that's the statue pose sorted out for the plynth next to Sam! Or better still by the away entrance (come and have a go.......)
  • Brilliant, @Stig!
    Legend for me, because he took the piss out of Mr W's shirt at the sponsors' dinner...though I guess he has had to soften his attitude to Scotland and Scots "somewatt" recently.
  • Legend for me.

I love that he puts his all into everything he does here.
  • Surely it's not even a debate? Absolute legend and a hero! He's been with us during hell in league One, then captained us as we smashed the league. That in itself is a feat that not many captains have experienced with us, to then be the glue that held us together in the following Championship season was outstanding. Since then he's been on the decline due to injuries and his age, but I still love the guy and think he deserves a place with us. In the dressing room his experience and personality must be a huge lift to the team, and we know no matter what he'll fight and show 100% passion for our team.

He's one of us, and always will be..........................forget about him supporting Arsenal, he's showed us on and off the pitch what we as supporters, and as a club mean to him.

#Legend
  • Sponsored links:

• wait you were born in 94 and don't remember 1998? I remember the play off final and I am only 5 yearsish older than you.

Ok so I was double your age... never mind.

But Mendonca was an absolute Hero to me.
  • JJ will have to change his name, the Forest announcer apologised for his pronounciation of Charlton players, (although did OK), but kept calling JJ, John Johnson
  • Well my dad always told me I was a Charlton fan, but I only became a true fan after my first game http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3496741.stm
  • foxjam said:

Well my dad always told me I was a Charlton fan, but I only became a true fan after my first game http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3496741.stm

Ha ha, I absolutely loved that game - I expect all Charlton fans did. That's the night I became a Brad Freidel fan :wink:
  • Must have a knock to not be on that bench?

Someone also must've got his phone in the changing room and got on his Twitter
  • I think the question has been answered now.

Even the programme today described him as "legend"...
  • Injured. Was in the West stand with a dressing on his ankle
  • We could have done with him on the bench his experience in central midfield on closing out a game like that would have been invaluable! Regan worked hard but didn't give us that control..

Diarra did remind me of jacko in the minutes after the goal! The way he was trying to get everyone back in the game and tried to grab the game by the scruff of the neck... and his run up the middle beating a few players to try and get us some momentum back was class!!
  • We could have done with him on the bench his experience in central midfield on closing out a game like that would have been invaluable! Regan worked hard but didn't give us that control..

Diarra did remind me of jacko in the minutes after the goal! The way he was trying to get everyone back in the game and tried to grab the game by the scruff of the neck... and his run up the middle beating a few players to try and get us some momentum back was class!!

loved that moment, really thought he gave a monkeys, which for a former world cup finalist and who has been at a number of clubs, was fantastic to see.