Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

SPOTY 2015

This years shortlist has been announced...

'Athletes Jessica Ennis-Hill, Mo Farah and Greg Rutherford are included, with tennis player Andy Murray, F1's Lewis Hamilton and footballer Lucy Bronze.

Boxer Tyson Fury, cyclists Chris Froome and Lizzie Armitstead, swimmer Adam Peaty, gymnast Max Whitlock and rugby league's Kevin Sinfield are nominated.'

bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/34845325

No Root or Crolla?

Comments

• Starts stopwatch
  • Ennis-Hill
  • Think its time that this should be renamed as Sports Man of the Year... There is a separate award for the Sports Woman of the Year now
  • My vote's with Stuart Bingham ;)

They should just give it to Murray every year. He's always the best one, even when he isn't
  • Froome at 40/1
  • edited December 2015
    Its a difficult one this year...

Jessica Ennis-Hill / Greg Rutherford ... they've had similar years to the Olympics, reckon Jessica will do well because she won the World Championships so soon after pregnancy, Greg on the other hand will end up around the middle, reckon one of these two (plus Mo will have plenty of chance of winning next year with the Rio Olympics)

Mo Farah ... Am surprised he's on there, he too has had another good World Championships but bit of controversy with the drugs scandal earlier in the year.

Lewis Hamilton ... He won the F1 Title for the third time so is equal as the best Brit in the Sport now, unfortunately for him, I think many will look at the fact that he won it so soon which meant it was an easy title win.

Tyson Fury ... Did well over the Weekend but for me its Sports Personality of the YEAR

Adam Peaty / Max Whitlock / Kevin Sinfield ... Fraid I know nothing about these guys to comment on their seasons

Chris Froome ... Won the Tour de France for the second time, so is our best Brit in terms of that title, he's not loved that much by the public so see that counting against him, also see him having the issues that Hamilton has.

Lucy Bronze / Lizzie Armistead ... Lucy could be an outsider as she got in Team of the Tournament at the World Cup, whilst Lizzie won't get votes because people don't know enough about her (Gorgeous though)

Andy Murray ... Won the Davis Cup but other than that only reached the Final of the Australian Open, he failed at the Tour Finals (But I believe that was deliberate because of the Davis Cup), had he won another Grand Slam, he'd win it for me but am not sure.

Team of the Year / Coach of the Year ... Is surely a two horse race between Leon Smith and Mark Sampson for Coach of the Year and the England Women's Team / British Davis Cup Team for the Team of the Year... I hate to say but I'd give both to the Tennis Team.
  • Mark Sampson coach of the year surely

Tyson Fury's achievement is huge and he seems quite the lark but he's also a bit of a bigot and I can't really stomach that

Ennis-Hill seems the standout along with Murray tbh

• Lizzie won't get votes because people don't know enough about her (Gorgeous though)

Afraid I'm going to have to be 'that guy' here. Cut it out.
  • Think its time that this should be renamed as Sports Man of the Year... There is a separate award for the Sports Woman of the Year now

Well it definitely shouldn't be called Sports Personality anymore, not with Andy Murray and Michael Owen on the previous winners list.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bloody disgrace, same old bollox.
    Danny Kent won Moto3, he's our first Motorcycling Grand Prix World Champion since Barry Sheene.
    Not a look in, instead we get this lot.

Surely, from the list, Tyson Fury should win, World Heavyweight champion and at least he has a personality.
  • edited December 2015
    Joe Root would have been my choice but he's ridiculously not on the list. Jimmy Anderson is another stupidly overlooked.

If you had to twist my arm for a vote I would pick Jessica Ennis-Hill from the list. Certainly not Hamilton or Murray
  • How do these Sports people get picked by the commitee of judges? What is the criteria that they have to consider?! Do they have to be considered professional?!

Have any of you heard of Rob Young? If not, put his name into Google.

A world record 370 Marathons in 365 days raising thousands for charity.

In my eyes, he would be a worthy winner.

• I think Andy Murray will win. And I'm pretty certain Leon Smith will get Coach of the Year.

• Tai woffinden missing too, despite winning his second world speedway title, but then no surprise as Phil Taylor only got nominated twice despite being a 16 times world champion. No McIlroy, crolla or root either. Might as well call it 'BBC personality of the year of the small number of sports we still show'. Doesn't quite have the same ring to it, but the whole thing is a sham now.
  • Does America have an equivalent prize? Imagine having to choose between Carly Lloyd, Jordan Spieth, Serena Williams and some quarterback...
  • Why isn't chat shit get banged in there?

His achievements have been widely celebrated and enjoyed by many. Greg Rutherford jumps over pits of sand. Vardy plays in the premier league.
  • Amazing thread. Folk fuming over the non inclusion of world champions in sports that are minority, no matter how much you like them, same as on this thread every year. It's not and never has been about personality, so stop being so anal about what they call it, it's about someone in a major sport who has done very well. The marathon bloke might be given a special achievement award, write to the Beeb to nominate him for next year if not, but a specific charity fundraiser has never won the award in 60 years, so I don't see it starting now to be honest. Plenty of nominees from sports the BBC only have minor coverage of over the past few years, two winners from road cycling being a good example. I know it's a bollocks thing to say, but don't watch if you don't like...

• edited December 2015
    For I think the second time in living memory (the fort time I was sozzled at a party) I'm not going to watch this. Loved it as a kid and I knew it was Christmas a-coming when it came on telly. But every time Ive watched I the last 15 years or so I lament how shit it's become - all style over substance now that the beeb has no sport left to show highlights from. A good film instead methinks.

For why its worth id vote Murray or fury.
  • Farah, Fury or Murray for me probably in that order.
  • Sponsored links:

• Amazing thread. Folk fuming over the non inclusion of world champions in sports that are minority, no matter how much you like them, same as on this thread every year. It's not and never has been about personality, so stop being so anal about what they call it, it's about someone in a major sport who has done very well. The marathon bloke might be given a special achievement award, write to the Beeb to nominate him for next year if not, but a specific charity fundraiser has never won the award in 60 years, so I don't see it starting now to be honest. Plenty of nominees from sports the BBC only have minor coverage of over the past few years, two winners from road cycling being a good example. I know it's a bollocks thing to say, but don't watch if you don't like...

But Athletics is a minor sport, as is womens football and Tennis and Swimming and Gymnastics, very few people go and watch them regularly, so that kind of pisses on your fireworks.
    Motorcycle Grand Prix Racing is a major global/European sport.
  • Greenie said:

Amazing thread. Folk fuming over the non inclusion of world champions in sports that are minority, no matter how much you like them, same as on this thread every year. It's not and never has been about personality, so stop being so anal about what they call it, it's about someone in a major sport who has done very well. The marathon bloke might be given a special achievement award, write to the Beeb to nominate him for next year if not, but a specific charity fundraiser has never won the award in 60 years, so I don't see it starting now to be honest. Plenty of nominees from sports the BBC only have minor coverage of over the past few years, two winners from road cycling being a good example. I know it's a bollocks thing to say, but don't watch if you don't like...

But Athletics is a minor sport, as is womens football and Tennis and Swimming and Gymnastics, very few people go and watch them regularly, so that kind of pisses on your fireworks.
    wtf
  • edited December 2015
    Murray for me, for the effort he's put in to win (almost single handedly) the Davis Cup. I'm sure they waited to see if we would win before finalising the nominations .

Athletes always suffer in non Olympic years with the lack of public interest, Jess will be the highest due to coming back from pregnancy factor, which is always impressive.

Chris Froome suffers as he's not Wiggins, and he's not British! Has he ever even lived in Britain?

Hamilton won SPOTY last year, he won't win again this year as it's been a bit too easy, but will still do well as F1 has a big following.

Root is unlucky not to be nominated, Cook possibly could have been nominated as wel
  • edited December 2015
    Leuth said:

Greenie said:

Amazing thread. Folk fuming over the non inclusion of world champions in sports that are minority, no matter how much you like them, same as on this thread every year. It's not and never has been about personality, so stop being so anal about what they call it, it's about someone in a major sport who has done very well. The marathon bloke might be given a special achievement award, write to the Beeb to nominate him for next year if not, but a specific charity fundraiser has never won the award in 60 years, so I don't see it starting now to be honest. Plenty of nominees from sports the BBC only have minor coverage of over the past few years, two winners from road cycling being a good example. I know it's a bollocks thing to say, but don't watch if you don't like...

wtf
    No really. Each Moto GP race pulls in an average of 115,000 fans thats nearly 2.5 million a season.
  • Froome or Armitstead for me
  • If you added up all the daily attendances for all the tennis grand slams that would probably exceed that. Also the TV viewing will likely be higher in the UK at least.

Incidentally Danny Kent has been brilliant for motor cycling this year and I am a massive Motorsport fan.
  • Peaty gets my vote - 2 world records in the 50m and 100m breast and another gold in the mixed IM relay. Very good season. Very nice guy.

Max Whitlock won 2 golds I think at the Gymnastics world champs in Glasgow and I'm certain he's front runner for Olympic gold - had a great season

A couple on there who don't deserve to be there also I think
  • Although I reckon Froome might edge it
  • Greenie said:

Nah, get away with ya Greenie. If they only played one "match" 18 times a year in those sports the crowds would be pretty massive too. It's a minority sport. Though I take you point on a couple of them.
  • Was surprised no cricketer got in but then we didn't do well in the World Cup...

If any footballer (male) was going to get in it would be Rooney for breaking Bobby Charlton's record as England top scorer.

Anyway I think it will be Ennis/Murray or Fury if the boxing fans get voting.

Murray will be part of the Team award thanks to the Davis Cup.

I reckon guys like Whitlock and Adam Peaty would stand more chance if they achieve multiple medals in an Olympics but they do deserve recognition.