Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SPOTY 2015

Comments

• Options

If any footballer (male) was going to get in it would be Rooney for breaking Bobby Charlton's record as England top scorer.

this would have been the most embarrassing thing ever
  • Options
    Whitlock for me, Armistead and then Jess.
  • Options
    What was the outcome over the concerns surrounding Farah and his coach - doping etc
  • Options
    Stuart Lancaster for coach of the year, the rubgy team team of the year and that bloke who went back to league to win it
  • Options
    Bit seriously, Rutherford for me. World, Olympic, European and Commonwealth champ. Seems like a decent guy as well.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

What was the outcome over the concerns surrounding Farah and his coach - doping etc

He stuck with the coach - suspect there still must be some doubts around but innocent till proven guilty and all that.

Its telling Farah never really comes high in the final results though despite being the best in his events for a while.

Riviera is right - I remember it used to be an actual review rather than just interviews and VTs based around the candidates.
  • Options
    The Welsh have their own one of course on BBC Wales. BBC Scotland seem not to have done their own for a while.

Not sure about BBC NI but this one is being filmed in NI I think.
  • Options

PL54 said:

He stuck with the coach - suspect there still must be some doubts around but innocent till proven guilty and all that.

Its telling Farah never really comes high in the final results though despite being the best in his events for a while.

Riviera is right - I remember it used to be an actual review rather than just interviews and VTs based around the candidates.
    Farah was 3rd in 2011. In 2012 the competition was incredibly high, when you consider The Olympics, Wiggins winning the TDF and Murray winning the US Open!
  • Options
    A complete lack of rugby players in the nominations, in a World Cup year, says it all...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A complete lack of rugby players in the nominations, in a World Cup year, says it all...

There's 2 (incl Gatling) in the Welsh version
  • Options

A complete lack of rugby union players in the nominations, in a World Cup year, says it all...

• Options
    PL54 said:

There's 2 (incl Gatling) in the Welsh version
    Less competition to win the Welsh one, not that anyone but Gareth Bale will win it anyway!

Indeed for getting Wales to the Euros next summer, could Gareth Bale have been nominated for the main prize?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Its just a BBC award, its nothing special and people shouldn't get worked about who is nominated or not or who eventually wins. Its hyped up out of all proportion. Sports Review of the year was a cosy little programme for many years shown on a Wednesday in late November where the BBC, who covered all major sport put together an interesting piece with round ups, interviews, demonstrations and a lot of humour. The award of SPOTY happened at the end and was a nice ending without it being the focus of the whole programme. You voted for who you wanted by using a coupon from the Radio Times and were not forced to select someone from some obscure sport that the BBC may still have the rights to. Sadly in this age of celebrity and the BBC's desire for ratings and premium rate phone calls it has deteriorated into a gaudy farce. We used to have true pros like Bough and Lynham presenting but now we have screechy women and egotistical men. I haven't watched it for years.

How do you know all this, if you " haven't watched it for years"?

The BBC are forced to desire ratings due to undue pressure from the government that wants them to be yet another mouthpiece for them.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Bit seriously, Rutherford for me. World, Olympic, European and Commonwealth champ. Seems like a decent guy as well.

He does high jump. Nobody has ever heard of him
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Bloody disgrace, same old bollox.
    Danny Kent won Moto3, he's our first Motorcycling Grand Prix World Champion since Barry Sheene.
    Not a look in, instead we get this lot.

Surely, from the list, Tyson Fury should win, World Heavyweight champion and at least he has a personality.

I thought Moto GP was the pinnacle.
    Don't get recognition for winning the F3 championship as it is totally inferior product.

• Options

McBobbin said:

Long jump!
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Looooong jump. Anyway it was who I wanted to win, not who I expect to win... Murray for that one maybe
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

My vote's with Stuart Bingham ;)

Anyone who is so monumentally cool that their acceptance speech for a World Championship is, "winner winner, chicken dinner" has surely got Sports 'Personality' in the bag. If Bingham doesn't win this it will be an outrage.

By the same token, if Murray were to win Sports 'Personality' it would be an absolute farce, because he hasn't got one.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Riviera said:

Its just a BBC award, its nothing special and people shouldn't get worked about who is nominated or not or who eventually wins. Its hyped up out of all proportion. Sports Review of the year was a cosy little programme for many years shown on a Wednesday in late November where the BBC, who covered all major sport put together an interesting piece with round ups, interviews, demonstrations and a lot of humour. The award of SPOTY happened at the end and was a nice ending without it being the focus of the whole programme. You voted for who you wanted by using a coupon from the Radio Times and were not forced to select someone from some obscure sport that the BBC may still have the rights to. Sadly in this age of celebrity and the BBC's desire for ratings and premium rate phone calls it has deteriorated into a gaudy farce. We used to have true pros like Bough and Lynham presenting but now we have screechy women and egotistical men. I haven't watched it for years.

The BBC are forced to desire ratings due to undue pressure from the government that wants them to be yet another mouthpiece for them.
    I know what's going on in Eastenders, Corrie, Strictly, IACGMOOH and don't watch any of those either. It's called peripheral awareness. Something you need in our trade Algarve.
    Anyway, you agree with me, you preferred the old style........
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/58096/bbc-sports-personality-2013/p4
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I know what's going on in Eastenders, Corrie, Strictly, IACGMOOH and don't watch any of those either. It's called peripheral awareness. Something you need in our trade Algarve.
    Anyway, you agree with me, you preferred the old style........
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/58096/bbc-sports-personality-2013/p4
    I have never needed any knowledge of the programmes you mention Riv, and I also said you need to move with the times in my post of two years ago, which wasn't agreeing with you, was it?
  • Options
    But you said you preferred the old format, which is agreeing with me. Those programmes are just an example. Peripheral Awareness is a skill which is required in any sales job where the ability to strike up or join a conversation amongst customers or potential customers and show that you as the salesman/publican/business owner are aware of what is going on in the world, the whole world, politics, sport entertainment and popular culture. You don't need to know everything but just to be aware.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Always like Michael Hendersons articles......http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-3363233/BBC-Sports-Personality-Year-great-showpiece-s-noisy-pageant-little-significance-way-save-vote-Jessica-Ennis-Hill.html
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Bloody disgrace, same old bollox.
    Danny Kent won Moto3, he's our first Motorcycling Grand Prix World Champion since Barry Sheene.
    Not a look in, instead we get this lot.

Not a look in because 99% of the country wouldn't have a clue who he was
  • Options
    There shouldn't be nominations, should be a free vote.
  • Options
    Wonder if the England Hockey girls will get a look in for team of the year. Not that I'm a hockey fan but they did win a European Gold I think. Apart from the Davis Cup, can't remember too many other teams winning much?
  • Options

Wonder if the England Hockey girls will get a look in for team of the year.

Would be unusual to award it to an underage team.