Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paddy to Palace

is the rumour circulating on CPFC forums at the moment, and one others may of heard.

Rumoured price is around £500k - £750k.

I am loathe to jepeodising the deal, so all i would say to Neil Warnock if you are reading is you have got yourself one hell of a deal there, and the quicker you sign and seal it the better it will be for everyone, thank you very much :-)

Comments

• mwahahahahaha
  • Him and Hudson are very similar players so i can easily see him going.
  • Frankly, I'm amazed that so many fans dislike Paddy. I'd rather keep him than sign some of the names I've heard mentioned but if Pards needs to raise cash for other purchases then maybe it's a case of he'll have to go. Got a link AFKA ?
  • I know I am in the minority here, but I like Paddy... :-(

But then one of my favourite players was Matt Svensson (sp?)
  • Hudson a better player, and I like McCarthy, but rather him sold then Magic
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Frankly, I'm amazed that so many fans dislike Paddy.

I don't dislike him, i admire his attitude, and won't slag a player who gives his all.

But i think he is limited, and those limitations are painfully exposed against a striker with any form of movement, and cost us on more than a number of occassions last season.

He is an average Championship centre half at best, and a position i think we really need to improve on.
  • and Hudson is an improvement
  • From the reactions on here, it sounds like the reaction on the Palace boards to Hudson, ie some people rating him, others not so. However if you're getting a fee for him, it sounds like you're getting the better of the deal, be grateful if you could give feedback on him.
  • like Hudson I think Paddy is a decent defender in the Championship but neither could hack it in the PL but seeing as neither of our teams are in the PL then that doesn't really matter does it. We end up with the better end of the deal as we get 500k+ from it while you get nowt.
  • Sponsored links:

• not a chance, if he did move which i doubt he will i think it would be to a club in the midlands
  • [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]From the reactions on here, it sounds like the reaction on the Palace boards to Hudson, ie some people rating him, others not so. However if you're getting a fee for him, it sounds like you're getting the better of the deal, be grateful if you could give feedback on him.

Whole hearted, brave and gives his all. Cares and shows it. Beggining of the season was absolute rubbish and consigned to the reserves, improved greatly when finally recalled. Good in air, slow and prone to grabbing forwards, incurring freekicks around the box. Also a player that is always stretching to make challenges as he is caught out by movement.

And I like him as a player but out of the first eleven now we have Hudson he would be the eleventh named.
  • [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]be grateful if you could give feedback on him.

positives

he is committed, will always give his all, has a bit of a leader mentality, admired for playing above himself, disribution not fantastic but not noticeably poor

negatives

he is not dominent in the air, can be dragged out of position, particularly wide, has poor movement, is slow to turn and can easily get caught the wrong side of the player
  • lol, it sounds like they could be the same person, especially the grabbing bit, Mark does like to tug the opposition shirt.
  • I don't mind the tugging side. A defend should be there to defend, and do whatever it takes.

Don't know much about Hudson, but for me Paddy was found wanting a lot more than he was found impressing.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Hudson a better player, and I like McCarthy, but rather him sold then Magic[/quote]

Agreed
  • Hudson sounds like Paddy in disguise to me and judging by the way Varney played against them at The Valley plays like it.

I guess that we have to accept that by and large we can only attract poorer players now we are a mid table Championship club.
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Hudson a better player, and I like McCarthy, but rather him sold then Magic

Agreed

Yup, makes sense. Although would rather have both.
  • McCarthy away at Palace - brilliant.
    Same player at home to Colchester - abysmal.

Sadly i feel the player we saw against Colchester featured more often than the one at Palace.
  • I'd sell a lot more than Magic and Paddy if replacements were easy to come by!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]be grateful if you could give feedback on him.

positives

he is committed, will always give his all, has a bit of a leader mentality, admired for playing above himself, disribution not fantastic but not noticeably poor

negatives

he is not dominent in the air, can be dragged out of position, particularly wide, has poor movement, is slow to turn and can easily get caught the wrong side of the player

Having recently watched the 4-3 Villa game, look at the contribution of every Charlton fans favourite home grown defender Richard Rufus.

1. First Villa Goal - passed his clearance straight to Barry
    2. Second Villa Goal - Failed to track the run of Joachim
    3. Third Villa Goal - failed to challenge the player who laid on the goal for Joachim

He made other blunders that day.

The point is all defenders make mistakes. Paddy made some in his first appearance at Stoke, he made one or two others during the later part of the season. In between times when he got back into the team, he was inspirational at times and on more than one occasion was by far our best defender. We failed to have a settled defence pretty much the whole season and he played with at least three partners. We all see things differently but I think he was one of our better performers last season. It may be that Hudson is better and we can't keep them all. If it was down to me I'd sell Fortune rather than Paddy.
  • Agreed most defenders do make the odd mistake the trouble is McCarthy makes them most of the time and even when it is not necessarily a mistake he is prone to get done by any mobile attacker.

Mentioning Rufus as a defence to McCarthy is a joke to be honest.

Fortune has proved he can play at Prem level in the past alongside a decent defender; McCarthy would still get taken to the cleaners even along side a quality defender.

If Palace are mug enough to buy him even at half the fee mentioned we should snatch it.
  • edited May 2008
    I would like him to stay. Was easily the most improved player over last season.

Stockport at home, his every touch was booed untill he scored the winner. But by end of the season, his commitment was second to none.

Without fail when that whistle was blown, eight players would rush for the tunnel. Matty, Weaver and Paddy would always applaud the fans in all stands.

That would be a shame to lose I think. We're always on here talking about how we hate players like thomas who look like there being forced to play in front of us.

It's good and essential to have players like paddy at the club that respect us as much as we respect them.

I think we've learnt what players who aren't 100% commited to a team can do to a season.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I'd sell Fortune rather than Paddy.

I'd drive Fortune anywhere he wanted, but the unfortunate fact is we won't get as much for him
  • [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]Mentioning Rufus as a defence to McCarthy is a joke to be honest.

I think you got the point though didn't you? It wasn't a pop at Rufus who I greatly admired, the point was that good defenders make mistakes. I don't know whether you went to most games last season but some of our most impressive defensive displays occured when Paddy played? The Palace games, home and away for example. I ain't saying he's the best defender in the world, I just think he's far better than you and others give him credit for.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]Mentioning Rufus as a defence to McCarthy is a joke to be honest.

I think you got the point though didn't you? It wasn't a pop at Rufus who I greatly admired, the point was that good defenders make mistakes. I don't know whether you went to most games last season but some of our most impressive defensive displays occured when Paddy played? The Palace games, home and away for example. I ain't saying he's the best defender in the world, I just think he's far better than you and others give him credit for.

Paddy is a reasonable centre half in the Championship but no more than that. Kevin Lisbie cruelly exposed his limitations as does any striker with a little bit of pace and skill.

Defenders make mistakes and Fortune has made a few but overall he is the best centre half we've got and I include Magic in that.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Kevin Lisbie cruelly exposed his limitations as does any striker with a little bit of pace and skill.

I must confess that was one of the few games I didn't see to be honest. I have always been a Fortune supporter upto this season when I felt he just didn't have the desire any more. Maybe he's been mucked about too many times but I just feel, like Lisbie, he needs to get away.

Back to Paddy, well I won't cry if he goes, I just like the cut of his jib. We need skillful players but we need them to be passionate/committed. Maybe he's the latter but not the former.
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I'd sell Fortune rather than Paddy.

I'd drive Fortune anywhere he wanted, but the unfortunate fact is we won't get as much for him

Must be kicking himself, not going to Stoke.
  • Bingaddick 'In reply ' Yes I do see most matches.

Regarding Rufus I didn’t take it that you were having a pop at him.

Yes I did get the point you were trying to make, I just don't see the relevance of the comparison.

Good players do make the odd mistake and have the odd bad game but I don’t consider McCarthy a good player and the fact is, he makes more mistakes than a good player would over a season. Basically he is average and been found out at this level.

We all have different opinions on players as proven between us, no problem.

However from past experience I know that average players only provide mediocre seasons. If we are to have a chance to go up we need to stop leaking goals as we did this season.

Go back to the middle of December when Fortune got suspended and McCarthy came back in to the team and you will see that we only had 4 clean sheets in 27 games running to the end of the season. Prior to that for November we had 4 clean sheets on the trot.

I am not suggesting that McCarthy is solely to blame it is the defence as a whole including midfield cover but Centre Half’s are pivotal. My guess is that Pardew also see’s that the defence is not good enough hence he has signed another CH.

Whether Pardew agrees with mine or your assessment of McCarthy remains to be seen, but it is only his opinion that matters at the end of the day, I believe his job is on the line on this one.

Can someone please explain to me how to copy the quote down as some of you have. Thanks
  • press quote on the right hand side next to the person's post you want to copy - the text will appear in the box you write in at the bottom, write your message underneath and then change the tab to BBCode of the options menu given below the text box. hope that helps.