Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA Ban The Poppy

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/shortcuts/2016/nov/01/fifas-poppy-ban-the-latest-remembrance-outrage?0p19G=c

Absolutely outrageous!

I looked and looked to see if this had been shared already, but couldn't find it.

Comments

• Rinse and repeat.
  • At the end of the day it's a symbolic gesture and in the pantheon on things FIFA has done, this doesn't rank. I think we'll all be able to continue living our lives if football teams don't wear poppies. Is it stilly from FIFA? Yes. But there are bigger problems.
  • Didn't realise it was political sorry
  • Didn't realise it was political sorry

I personally wouldn't say it's political but I'd imagine FIFA don't want to start allowing certain things for certain countries, it's easier for them to not allow anything.
  • Fifa need not worry about this.

People all over the world study English history and culture in depth. There is no chance at all that they might mistake an innocent poppy for a political or religious symbol.
  • Sponsored links:

• The fact that both sides want to wear the same thing means that common sense should be applied, though of course it won't be.
    I do understand why FIFA don't want the precedent though, as a few well chosen symbols would certainly liven up some games, e.g. former Yugoslavia.
  • The FA and the SFA need to say to Fifa "This is a British tribute and if you don't let us wear the poppy then sod you, we won't wear the Fifa badge."

It just needs the two CEOs of the FA and SFA to have the bollocks to say it.
  • edited November 2016
    FIFA deciding that the poppy is a political symbol is in and of itself a political act. Thought they were meant to be politically neutral?
  • What next, ban black arm bands.
  • Ban tattoos
  • edited November 2016
    Sorry the poppy isn't a political symbol... Its simply a way of remembering the dead, absolutely no different to Black armband worn when a Footballer etc. dies!!
  • edited November 2016

SDAddick said:

At the end of the day it's a symbolic gesture and in the pantheon on things FIFA has done, this doesn't rank. I think we'll all be able to continue living our lives if football teams don't wear poppies. Is it stilly from FIFA? Yes. But there are bigger problems.

Yeh but at least we can tell em to go fck themselves...
    Good point well made.
  • Sponsored links:

• Uboat said:

The fact that both sides want to wear the same thing means that common sense should be applied, though of course it won't be.
    I do understand why FIFA don't want the precedent though, as a few well chosen symbols would certainly liven up some games, e.g. former Yugoslavia.

But then FIFA can come out and say... We're allowing this because both England and Scotland want the same symbol, the Poppy will bring people together and isnt that what Football is ultimately about?

If Croatia or Kosovo (using them as a random example) want to wear something to remember the Balkan Wars when they play you can bet your arse it wont be the same thing to bring together unity it'll be to wind the other up (i.e. similar to when Albania faced Serbia in the last Qualification campagin)
  • Fiiish said:

iainment said:

Fiiish said:

FIFA deciding that the poppy is a political symbol is in and of itself a political act. Thought they were meant to be politically neutral?

FIFA haven't decided the poppy is a political symbol. They just recognised that it is. And applied their rules. That's all.
    Well it's not. Look up the definition of 'political' and it is pretty obvious that wearing a poppy does not fall under that category.

Now it could be considered a cultural symbol, which is something else entirely.
    If it isn't political why the vapours about wearing it? For some it is a way of showing support for UK military adventurism over the years.
  • When people talk of the First World War do we remember the political parties that were heads of England / France / Germany etc. when War broke out... NO

The only party that will ever be remembered in terms of War will be the Nazi Party, a vile group across the border from a Switzerland where FIFA is now based, a country that stayed "neutral" during two World Wars so know nothing of the hardship that the people (whether they be Axis or Allies) of all three countries suffered... The Nazi Party hated the freedom of speech and going by many Football Clubs and Football Bodies these days, something that continues even now within a Sport where you're meant to express yourself!!
  • iainment said:

Fiiish said:

iainment said:

Fiiish said:

FIFA haven't decided the poppy is a political symbol. They just recognised that it is. And applied their rules. That's all.
    Well it's not. Look up the definition of 'political' and it is pretty obvious that wearing a poppy does not fall under that category.

Now it could be considered a cultural symbol, which is something else entirely.
    If it isn't political why the vapours about wearing it? For some it is a way of showing support for UK military adventurism over the years.
    Is that what you think then?
  • Uboat said:

The fact that both sides want to wear the same thing means that common sense should be applied, though of course it won't be.

But then FIFA can come out and say... We're allowing this because both England and Scotland want the same symbol, the Poppy will bring people together and isnt that what Football is ultimately about?

If Croatia or Kosovo (using them as a random example) want to wear something to remember the Balkan Wars when they play you can bet your arse it wont be the same thing to bring together unity it'll be to wind the other up (i.e. similar to when Albania faced Serbia in the last Qualification campagin)
    Right but going on the argument of "they don't want to set a precedent," what if Iran were to play Saudi Arabia and both wanted to wear something symbolic of "The Palestinian Dead." That would be internationally problematic. Thus, setting an example of both sides agreeing would not necessarily be a good idea.
  • SDAddick said:

Uboat said:

Right but going on the argument of "they don't want to set a precedent," what if Iran were to play Saudi Arabia and both wanted to wear something symbolic of "The Palestinian Dead." That would be internationally problematic. Thus, setting an example of both sides agreeing would not necessarily be a good idea.
    That shouldnt be an issue for FIFA seeing they recognise Palestine as a Footballing Nation...

If Iran played Israel (God dont think that would ever happen) then I'd agree, but then it goes back to saying; Sorry if its offence to one nation then it shouldnt be used by the other... In the case of England v Scotland or Iran v Saudia Arabia, if it's something that both Nations want to do then why stop them... Its not as though one is wearing something to goad their opponent and cause fighting etc.
  • edited November 2016
    People use the St George's Cross to promote support for British military action, or to promote anti-immigrant or anti-Muslim messages, and the Saltire is used to promote support for Scottish independence (such as when Alex Salmond jumped around the Royal Box at Wimbledon when the referendum was approaching). Should they be banned because people misuse them or misinterpret them? According to your logic, yes.
  • They should all have their hair done like a poppy to make up for it
  • Uboat said:

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Not going to happen though.